ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Computers Killer aps for the iPhone? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=190700)

Frazod 05-14-2009 08:19 AM

I obviously didn't have the phone fully charged (the meter must be like the fuel gauge on a Chevy) because I did basically the same thing this morning that I did yesterday and it's fine.

007 05-14-2009 03:52 PM

IT will charge to 80% extremely fast. The final 20% takes a couple extra hours.

Nobody has any input on the Iphone question?

Frazod 05-14-2009 11:18 PM

Jesus, I can't believe how many apps there are for this thing. I downloaded iFighter - that's a neat little game. Shazam is cool as hell, too.

007 05-14-2009 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 5767219)
Jesus, I can't believe how many apps there are for this thing. I downloaded iFighter - that's a neat little game. Shazam is cool as hell, too.

Good luck putting it down. My son has the Touch and I have to work to avoid it. Been considering getting one for myself but the price tag kills me.

Frazod 05-14-2009 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 5767230)
Good luck putting it down. My son has the Touch and I have to work to avoid it. Been considering getting one for myself but the price tag kills me.

Yeah, that hurt, but damn this thing is neat. The multi-functionality is amazing, too. And God only knows what I haven't figured out yet.

007 05-14-2009 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 5767240)
Yeah, that hurt, but damn this thing is neat. The multi-functionality is amazing, too. And God only knows what I haven't figured out yet.

Unless you are jailbreaking it you probably won't.

I just keep grazing through the free apps. Most of the paid apps I have seen are not worth it even at .99 cents. The only paid app we forked out the money for is Text Free unlimited.

I just wish the Touch was a thick as the iPhone. Just seems a little flimsy to me. would rather have a deactivated phone and use it as a touch.

KCFalcon59 05-15-2009 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 5767219)

The MLB app is great. It is a bit expensive at 9.99, but you can listen to any game and choose which teams announcers to listen to, plus video replay, boxscore, follow baserunners and pitch counts. When you are not in front of the TV watching it in HD, it is the next best thing IMO.

NewChief 05-15-2009 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 5766031)
IT will charge to 80% extremely fast. The final 20% takes a couple extra hours.

Nobody has any input on the Iphone question?

My understanding is that it will work like a touch. I have the same issue. Wife's first iPhone broke the screen on it and shelled out money for 2nd. We still have the first, and I may fix the screen for $125 and use it as an iPod touch. Throw Skype on it, and I have a phone in wireless zones.

007 05-15-2009 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewPhin (Post 5767521)
My understanding is that it will work like a touch. I have the same issue. Wife's first iPhone broke the screen on it and shelled out money for 2nd. We still have the first, and I may fix the screen for $125 and use it as an iPod touch. Throw Skype on it, and I have a phone in wireless zones.

I've heard both ways on it actually. I've heard they won't work at all once deactivated and they work once they have been activated once.

been all over the net and can't find a straight answer to the question. I figured there would have been quite a few that owned an original and upgraded to the 3g that would have done this already. Guess not though.

007 05-16-2009 08:53 PM

Stickwars is pretty damn fun.

QuikSsurfer 07-19-2009 06:38 PM

Any Simplify Media users?

BWillie 07-19-2009 10:54 PM

Why the hell doesn't the HTC 6800 have apps? That really is the advantage of the i-phone. It's not like it's head and shoulders better than other phones on the market as far as how powerful it is. It's just the user interface is one that you can add programs very easily and it is user friendly as far as I can tell.

NewChief 07-20-2009 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 5768676)
I've heard both ways on it actually. I've heard they won't work at all once deactivated and they work once they have been activated once.

been all over the net and can't find a straight answer to the question. I figured there would have been quite a few that owned an original and upgraded to the 3g that would have done this already. Guess not though.

Just an FYI. I fired up my wife's old phone, and it works fine on wifi. Says "no service" all the time, but if you're in a wifi network it works just like a touch.

dj56dt58 07-20-2009 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewPhin (Post 5912369)
Just an FYI. I fired up my wife's old phone, and it works fine on wifi. Says "no service" all the time, but if you're in a wifi network it works just like a touch.

I work for ATT Wireless...It will work for a while but eventually the system will recognize what's going on and it will stop working

007 07-20-2009 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dj56dt58 (Post 5912664)
I work for ATT Wireless...It will work for a while but eventually the system will recognize what's going on and it will stop working

If that is the case, why gimp the hardware just because somebody isn't using their old phone as a phone. Thats just dumb.

Skyy God 07-23-2009 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSsurfer (Post 5911893)
Any Simplify Media users?

Yep, should be under jonpitts. What's your id?

Skyy God 07-23-2009 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dj56dt58 (Post 5912664)

At which point I would imagine jailbreaking it would fix the problem.

007 07-23-2009 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pittsie (Post 5920566)
Yep, should be under jonpitts. What's your id?

What is the point of simplify media anyway? Wouldn't it be easier to just put the songs you want on the iphone rather than stream?

Skyy God 07-23-2009 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 5920891)
What is the point of simplify media anyway? Wouldn't it be easier to just put the songs you want on the iphone rather than stream?

Storage, for one. I have roughly 30 gigs of songs and a 16 gig iPhone. If you have a 32 gig 3G S, this probably isn't much of a problem. You also apparently can access music other people's music.

Also, for me, since 3.0 went live, I can't play songs through the iPod function on my Sony dock. Pandora and everything else works, but not the ******* iPod.

007 07-23-2009 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pittsie (Post 5920922)
Storage, for one. I have roughly 30 gigs of songs and a 16 gig iPhone. If you have a 32 gig 3G S, this probably isn't much of a problem. You also apparently can access music other people's music.

Also, for me, since 3.0 went live, I can't play songs through the iPod function on my Sony dock. Pandora and everything else works, but not the ******* iPod.

I downgraded back to 2.2.1 on my Touch. I didn't like 3.0 at all. Once they get the bugs worked out I'll go back.

Fish 07-23-2009 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie007 (Post 5912213)
Why the hell doesn't the HTC 6800 have apps? That really is the advantage of the i-phone. It's not like it's head and shoulders better than other phones on the market as far as how powerful it is. It's just the user interface is one that you can add programs very easily and it is user friendly as far as I can tell.

WTF reeruned shit are you smoking? I'm not trying to take away from what the iPhone can do, but that's a terribly ignorant statement. Windows Mobile has far more apps than the iPhone does. The iPhone is hot shit right now, but your HTC 6800 is far more versatile than even the most current iPhone. I'm a huge Apple geek, but the iPhone is just now getting features that Windows Mobile has had for years. Windows Mobile is the most flexible mobile OS ever. And it's dominantly been that way for over 8 years, while the iPhone is just now catching up with WinMo features.

I don't think you understand what all you can actually do with your Mogul. Less than a few months ago.... this was absolutely true:

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/772...iterwhywin.jpg

That's absurd for the price difference between them at the time. Apple has since solved MMS, C+P, and a few other features that the iPhone has been stupidly slow on implementing. But still. Think about it.

The iPhone is definitely a very very cool phone. But it has had to overcome some serious shortcomings. And it hasn't done it gracefully. Stuff that WinMo has done for years.... Plus it's outright expensive as ****. I could configure your phone to do 98% of what the iPhone does for a mere fraction of the cost both service plan and software purchasing wise. If you think your Mogul is limited application wise, you are clueless as to the extended funcionality of your phone. I used to own one.

Seriously. Start a Windows Mobile thread, and I'll help you to get your Mogul to do whatever you want. Your phone is capable of so much, it pains me to think you believe it's limited compared to the iPhone.

Read this: http://www.testfreaks.com/blog/infor...mobile-part-2/

Maybe it will lift your spirits... because most of it is still true...

And go here and look around:

http://www.xda-developers.com/
http://www.ppcgeeks.com/

Just about all the shit you will see there is possible on your phone.

[Sorry to threadjack.... let's talk about the iPhone.....]

Saulbadguy 08-06-2009 01:50 PM

Ok, so far i've gotten Facebook, ESPN score thingy, and of course pandora.

What are some of the best FREE apps?

KCFalcon59 08-06-2009 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy (Post 5953029)

Depends on what type of app you're looking for. You can control your iTunes library with "remote". Works great.

Shazam is a good app.

I have Grocery IQ which is nice for grocery lists. Though I paid for this one. It is only .99

The weather channel

007 08-06-2009 02:48 PM

Get Pandora Box. It lets you know all the price drops to free. I have picked up several quality apps thanks to that little app.

NewChief 08-06-2009 04:38 PM

Quote:

Showtimes is good for movie showtimes. Also, check out Shazam if you're a music fan. Very cool app.

irishjayhawk 08-06-2009 07:45 PM

Grocery IQ is a pretty good app and it's made by Lawrence natives too. (Before sold to coupons.com)

Simplenote is really good but it is $2.

KevB 08-06-2009 08:15 PM

Quote:

I like Flixster and The Weather Channel

DBOSHO 08-06-2009 11:23 PM

TWSS button. kinda immature but its awesome. chad johnson tweeted today about a cool app called runpee that tells you ahead of time about parts in a movie that dont matter and gives the times so you can run to the bathroom real quick. its a buck but i thought it was interesting

BigRedChief 08-07-2009 11:29 AM

Quote:

Around me.

Find the nearest resteraunt, bar, hospital, retail store and just about anything.

Google

Urbanspoon

007 08-07-2009 02:39 PM

Not free but GET ragdoll Blaster. Best $1.99 I ever spent.

007 08-14-2009 02:53 AM

Wolfenstein 3D down to .99 cents
Doom: Resurrection down to 2.99

This weekend only.

also stumbled on this website with some really great reviews.

http://appadvice.com/appnn/category/reviews/

Fish 08-14-2009 07:06 PM

I just found out that work will soon provide me with a 32GB iPhone 3Gs....

:toast:

007 08-14-2009 07:09 PM

Star Defense is down to .99 as well.

QuikSsurfer 08-14-2009 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 5973327)
Star Defense is down to .99 as well.

Great game

Tits McGee 08-15-2009 12:46 AM

Trapster. The one app you really need.

Tits McGee 08-15-2009 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 5762266)
Well, I picked up an iPhone last night. I'll have to look into some of these apps.

Two of the first things I've learned, however, are (1) the damned battery drains faster than a bottle of Jack Daniels at ENDelt's house, and (2) the iPod charger I have at work doesn't work for the iPhone. No more playing until I get home tonight. :banghead:

Disable 3G=longer battery life

007 08-15-2009 02:07 AM

ifps and dropship free right now.

The Rick 08-16-2009 11:20 PM

TomTom GPS app is out now. $99.

Swanman 08-17-2009 07:50 AM

Atomic Fart rules all. Best free app ever.

BigRedChief 08-17-2009 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swanman (Post 5978786)
Atomic Fart rules all. Best free app ever.

yeah, I got that one too.:clap:

Fish 08-27-2009 12:07 PM

Ha ha..... moral introspection and caution...

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/2...5569140402.jpg

Silock 08-27-2009 12:33 PM

PowerPros - baseball app. Really cool and simple. Wish it were MLB teams, but oh well. Love it.

NFL 2010 - Can't get the hang of it, but it's a pretty good football sim.

Civilization Revolution - ****ing awesome. Not too dumbed down, but works brilliantly.

Huffmeister 08-27-2009 04:09 PM

Anyone know of a better way to rearrange app icons? It's a pain trying to drag an app from one page to a couple of pages away. It'd be nice if you could drag and drop with a mouse from iTunes.

irishjayhawk 08-27-2009 05:03 PM

Facebook 3.0 hit the store today.

007 08-27-2009 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cankerskull (Post 6006945)
Anyone know of a better way to rearrange app icons? It's a pain trying to drag an app from one page to a couple of pages away. It'd be nice if you could drag and drop with a mouse from iTunes.

There are rumors that the next firmware update will allow for rearranging apps through iTunes

Fish 08-27-2009 06:31 PM

Sporting News Pro Football App

Very nice for a free app. Schedules, scores, stats, rosters, news.... all nicely done.

Also versions for MLB, NBA.

irishjayhawk 08-27-2009 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 6007196)
There are rumors that the next firmware update will allow for rearranging apps through iTunes

Slight correction.

Current rumor is that the next version of iTunes will carry this feature, rather than the next firmware. Which means Sept 9th it should be announced. But as always, rumor.

QuikSsurfer 08-27-2009 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 6007410)
Sporting News Pro Football App

Very nice for a free app. Schedules, scores, stats, rosters, news.... all nicely done.

Also versions for MLB, NBA.

Downloaded and deleted. Updates are incredibly slow to live games.
ScoreMobile ftw

KCFalcon59 08-27-2009 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 6007123)
Facebook 3.0 hit the store today.

It's really slick too. Major upgrade from the earlier versions.

Fish 09-02-2009 10:28 PM

Here's a few great apps I've recently discovered...

AroundMe: Absolutely essential navigation app.
OmniFocus: GTD manager.
Flixster: Movies, Theater showtimes, DVDs.
Awesome Note: Outstanding Notes app.
Intelliscreen: Lockscreen customizer. The shit.
Jaadu RDP/VNC: Remote Desktop apps.
StickWars: Really fun game defending a castle against stick warriors.
FlightControl: Game of airport runway management. Addictive.
MotionX GPS: GPS utility on steroids. Breadcrumb/Waypoint Mgt/etc.
Sportacular: Scoreboard/Standings/News app but with customized Push alerts that can update every 30 seconds. Push alert capability is really nice.

Silock 09-02-2009 11:15 PM

If you like Flight Control, try Harbor Master.

OnTheWarpath15 09-03-2009 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 6027427)
Here's a few great apps I've recently discovered...

AroundMe: Absolutely essential navigation app.
OmniFocus: GTD manager.
Flixster: Movies, Theater showtimes, DVDs.
Awesome Note: Outstanding Notes app.
Intelliscreen: Lockscreen customizer. The shit.
Jaadu RDP/VNC: Remote Desktop apps.
StickWars: Really fun game defending a castle against stick warriors.
FlightControl: Game of airport runway management. Addictive.
MotionX GPS: GPS utility on steroids. Breadcrumb/Waypoint Mgt/etc.
Sportacular: Scoreboard/Standings/News app but with customized Push alerts that can update every 30 seconds. Push alert capability is really nice.

Can't seem to find Intelliscreen in the appstore.

Shag 09-03-2009 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 6027870)

You have to have a jailbroken iPhone to use Intelliscreen - it's not an app store app.

OnTheWarpath15 09-03-2009 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shag (Post 6027910)
You have to have a jailbroken iPhone to use Intelliscreen - it's not an app store app.

Ah. Thanks.

Fish 09-04-2009 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 6027870)

Oops... yeah. I forgot that Intelliscreen is only installable after a jailbreak. But it's well worth it to jailbreak your phone for this app alone. It's a huge advantage to have that info on your lockscreen, and to be able to view and edit it, or mark messages read/unread. You can click on your calendar event, e-mail, SMS, or weather and it will pop up in a little Quickview screen which is scrollable and gives you further options. Here's what it looks like by default, except for the custom background.

http://www.intelliborn.com/screensho...elliScreen.png

dj56dt58 09-06-2009 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pittsie (Post 5920569)
At which point I would imagine jailbreaking it would fix the problem.

possibly..doubt everything would work correctly though.

007 09-08-2009 11:49 PM

The shuffle function really stinks on the Ipod Touch. Just recently started using it in my car and it repeats crap to no end. I really don't like having to setup playlists all the time just to avoid repeats. Why it can't handle such a simple function is beyond me.

dj56dt58 09-08-2009 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 6047672)
The shuffle function really stinks on the Ipod Touch. Just recently started using it in my car and it repeats crap to no end. I really don't like having to setup playlists all the time just to avoid repeats. Why it can't handle such a simple function is beyond me.

if its the same as the iphone just use the on the go playlist..it shuffles all of the songs randomly

007 09-09-2009 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dj56dt58 (Post 6047674)
if its the same as the iphone just use the on the go playlist..it shuffles all of the songs randomly

Ive tried that as well. The problem with that one is that it puts songs from the same artist back to back all the time.

the other annoyance is that the ipod doesn't always remember the last song I was playing even though I rarely turn it off. Then I have to restart the shuffle causing more repeats.

EDIT

I even set up a playlist of my favorites and still get the same problems when I shuffle it.

Saulbadguy 09-09-2009 07:00 AM

I'm loving Stanza at the moment.

patteeu 09-09-2009 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 6047682)
Ive tried that as well. The problem with that one is that it puts songs from the same artist back to back all the time.

the other annoyance is that the ipod doesn't always remember the last song I was playing even though I rarely turn it off. Then I have to restart the shuffle causing more repeats.

EDIT

I even set up a playlist of my favorites and still get the same problems when I shuffle it.

How many different artists do you have on your ipod? How many different songs? I don't have an iTouch, but I don't seem to have that problem on my iPod. I don't use shuffle for my entire library very often though. I usually use shuffle either on an artist or on a genre. When I use it, it generates a randomized playlist that includes every song in the group only once.

ChiefaRoo 09-09-2009 08:06 AM

What exactly is "jailbreaking" your iphone?

Shag 09-09-2009 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dj56dt58 (Post 6047674)

Odd - I don't have that problem on my iPhone. I shuffle my entire library just about every day, and don't recall any issues with repeats. In fact, I think it may be designed so that won't happen...

When I select "shuffle all", I get a counter at the top - "1 of 1613". This would seem to indicate that the iPhone will create the entire play order initially, and then just step through them like a normal playlist. This should eliminate any duplicates, unless you have duplicates on your device. That's a bit of conjecture, but that's how it appears to work...

I do often get back-to-back songs from the same artist or album, but I'm guessing it's a truly random shuffle, not an intelligent shuffle.

patteeu 09-09-2009 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shag (Post 6048047)
Odd - I don't have that problem on my iPhone. I shuffle my entire library just about every day, and don't recall any issues with repeats. In fact, I think it may be designed so that won't happen...

When I select "shuffle all", I get a counter at the top - "1 of 1613". This would seem to indicate that the iPhone will create the entire play order initially, and then just step through them like a normal playlist. This should eliminate any duplicates, unless you have duplicates on your device. That's a bit of conjecture, but that's how it appears to work...

I do often get back-to-back songs from the same artist or album, but I'm guessing it's a truly random shuffle, not an intelligent shuffle.

I think this is how it works as well.

dj56dt58 09-09-2009 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shag (Post 6048047)

Mine worked like this at first and for some reason after a few days it started repeating..

patteeu 09-09-2009 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dj56dt58 (Post 6048149)
Mine worked like this at first and for some reason after a few days it started repeating..

Have you tried resetting it?

Fish 09-09-2009 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefaRoo (Post 6047972)
What exactly is "jailbreaking" your iphone?

Quote:

Jailbreaking is a process that allows iPhone and iPod Touch users to run unofficial code on their devices bypassing Apple's official distribution mechanism, the App Store. Once jailbroken, iPhone users are able to download many applications previously unavailable through the App Store via unofficial installers such as Cydia and Icy. It's estimated that 4 million (out of 40 million) iPods and iPhones are jailbroken. <sup id="cite_ref-0" class="reference">[1]</sup>
Jailbreaking is distinct from unlocking, which is the process by which a mobile device is made compatible with telephone networks it was not specifically licensed to be used with.
Essentially, you're replacing the iPhone firmware with a custom one that allows for a whole new world of flexibility and customization for your iPhone. And before you start thinking of terrible legal repercussions, jailbreaking your phone is not currently illegal, but it could void your warranty if you're really really stupid about it. In normal cases, it's very hard to actually void your warranty due to jailbreaking, as the jailbreak can be easily removed and your phone will be back to normal state in a matter of minutes. The US Copyright office currently has an exemption for jailbreaking, but Apple is still trying to fight it. There's a court date sometime in the future, but Apple is not expected to win. So jailbreaking is free and legal. And jailbreaking doesn't mean stealing software. You can jailbreak your iPhone and still pay for applications like you always have(if you so choose). Of course, there are sources available for installing any and all applications you would find in the App Store, and with a jailbroken phone you will not be charged for the app at all, but that's a matter between you and your conscience. There are plenty of reasons to jailbreak other than free software though. And some of the software that's only available on jailbroken iPhonse still requires payment.

Here's a decent article about just some of the advantages of jailbreaking...

http://www.simonblog.com/2008/10/05/...lbreak-iphone/

If you have any other questions about it, let me know.

BigRedChief 09-09-2009 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 6048210)
Essentially, you're replacing the iPhone firmware with a custom one that allows for a whole new world of flexibility and customization for your iPhone. And before you start thinking of terrible legal repercussions, jailbreaking your phone is not currently illegal, but it could void your warranty if you're really really stupid about it. In normal cases, it's very hard to actually void your warranty due to jailbreaking, as the jailbreak can be easily removed and your phone will be back to normal state in a matter of minutes. The US Copyright office currently has an exemption for jailbreaking, but Apple is still trying to fight it. There's a court date sometime in the future, but Apple is not expected to win. So jailbreaking is free and legal. And jailbreaking doesn't mean stealing software. You can jailbreak your iPhone and still pay for applications like you always have(if you so choose). Of course, there are sources available for installing any and all applications you would find in the App Store, and with a jailbroken phone you will not be charged for the app at all, but that's a matter between you and your conscience. There are plenty of reasons to jailbreak other than free software though. And some of the software that's only available on jailbroken iPhonse still requires payment.

Here's a decent article about just some of the advantages of jailbreaking...

http://www.simonblog.com/2008/10/05/...lbreak-iphone/

If you have any other questions about it, let me know.

Which is illegal, isn't it?

patteeu 09-09-2009 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 6049782)

He says in his post that it's "not currently illegal".

Fish 09-09-2009 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 6049782)

Which part?

The jailbreak is perfectly legal. The US Copyright Office agrees. See here: http://www.eff.org/files/filenode/dm...Bproposals.pdf

If you take your jailbroken phone to the Apple store, and they happen to identify a jailbroken app they can void your iPhone warranty. But that's all they can do. And if you jailbreak, and then you have problems, you can just remove the jailbreak in a matter of minutes if you have to take it to the store and they will have no way to tell it was ever jailbroken.

Downloading paid apps for free isn't legal, but that's not required to jailbreak. Most jailbreak app authors actually encourage paying for whatever app you use. I included a pic a page or so back where a jailbreak app was encouraging "moral introspection and caution" when dealing with an untrustworthy jailbreak sources that may be distributing copyrighted work.

It's akin to buying a Toyota vehicle, and having Toyota tell you that you can only have it worked on at the Toyota dealership. That's the simplest explanation I've been given.

Like I said, Apple is trying to fight it, but they're not going to win. It's currently legal, and I fully expect it to stay that way.

The Rick 09-09-2009 02:57 PM

Sweet...Madden NFL 10 for iPhone ($7.99) released today!

http://www.eamobile.com/Web/iphone-games/madden-10

Silock 09-09-2009 09:10 PM

Chipotle ordering app.

LOL

Gonna get me in so much trouble.

BigRedChief 09-09-2009 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 6049829)
He says in his post that it's "not currently illegal".

key word, currently. Much like downloading music, gambling online etc. at least thats what I hear. They will go after the jailbreakers.

Silock 09-09-2009 09:13 PM

So what? It's still not illegal.

Silock 09-10-2009 02:16 AM

FLICK ****ING FISHING

Can't... stop... playing...

007 09-10-2009 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 6051258)
key word, currently. Much like downloading music, gambling online etc. at least thats what I hear. They will go after the jailbreakers.

I doubt they will ever make Jailbreaking illegal. The majority that do jailbreak do not download the illegal apps that are available through nefarious vendors. They do it only to unlock all the extra features that should have been available in the first place. Number one being THEMES.

Huffmeister 09-10-2009 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 6051968)
I doubt they will ever make Jailbreaking illegal. The majority that do jailbreak do not download the illegal apps that are available through nefarious vendors. They do it only to unlock all the extra features that should have been available in the first place. Number one being THEMES.

This is exactly why I jailbroke mine a couple of nights ago. Being able to actually have a background on the SpringBoard, 5x5 icons, and Categories made it completely worthwhile. All things that should have either been there from the beginning, or at least added in the 2+ years that the iPhone has been out.

007 09-10-2009 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cankerskull (Post 6052027)
This is exactly why I jailbroke mine a couple of nights ago. Being able to actually have a background on the SpringBoard, 5x5 icons, and Categories made it completely worthwhile. All things that should have either been there from the beginning, or at least added in the 2+ years that the iPhone has been out.

It amazes me that Apple still has not set it up to allow themes yet.

Skyy God 09-11-2009 02:53 PM

In no particular order, here are some apps I've recently discovered or use a lot.

Text Plus - The recipients have to send texts to a number rather than your name, but otherwise it's a solid free texting app.

Around Me - A lifesaver for finding a specific store or type of store while traveling.

Skype - Bulletproof VOIP (over wireless) and a $3/month unlimited plan.

Inside Redbox - Allows you to see titles at specific machines and the relevant promo codes.

Yahoo FFL app - Haven't used it much... just came out.

The Public Radio block - NPR Addict (probably the best), Public Radio, NPR News (new), and KCRW (based in LA, great music).

Fish 09-11-2009 03:02 PM

Anybody tried ESPN Fantasy Football 2009 app yet? Not the draft kit, the actual team management app...

http://www.cellfanatic.com/2009/09/0...for-the-iphone

Looks very cool, but I'd like to know if it's actually worth $5.... It's gotten some poor reviews, but it looks like those are from idiots who can't operate it.