ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV HBO greenlights A Game of Thrones pilot! (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=196570)

TrickyNicky 06-14-2010 02:53 PM

I can recommend a few. However, let me preface it by saying there is nothing in the same league as ASoIaF, IMO.

Lies of Locke Lamora
Dunk and Egg novellas (set in Westeros approx. 100 years prior to the story of A Game of Thrones)
Gardens of the Moon
Assassin's Apprentice

Buck 06-14-2010 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrickyNicky (Post 6819574)
Yes

Thats the only part of the book I've read so far, then I moved and packed it up but I have no idea where th book is. Need to find it.

jspchief 06-14-2010 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cankerskull (Post 6820511)
Any recommendations of other, similar 'dark fantasy'? I know Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms aren't dark fantasy, but they're about the only other fantasy books that I've read (besides Tolkien). I'd like to read some more fantasy, but I'm afraid that most anything else will feel lame and cheesy when compared to Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire.

As I mentioned, I'm nearing the end of the Codex Alera by Jim Butcher (perhaps more famously known for his Dresden Files books). The first book is Calderon's Fury.

I highly recommend it. It may be on the lighter side of fantasy, but the magic system he has created brings a fresh approach to an otherwise pretty standard subject. And while his characters are not tremendously deep, they are well fleshed out and for the most part interesting. And the storyline itself it pretty solid, evolving well with the series.

jspchief 06-14-2010 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewPhin (Post 6820525)
You might like Glen Cook's Black Company series. The Thieves World series is also very dark and gritty.

I didn't realize Black Company was a series. I've read one of their books, and enjoyed it but was left wanting a bit. I wonder if i got into the middle of it and maybe missed out on a bit.

keg in kc 06-14-2010 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 6820976)
I didn't realize Black Company was a series. I've read one of their books, and enjoyed it but was left wanting a bit. I wonder if i got into the middle of it and maybe missed out on a bit.

There are 9 or 10 of them as I recall. You'd want to start out with The Black Company.

Huffmeister 06-14-2010 10:14 PM

Cool, thanks for the recommendations. Black Company sounds like it'd be right up my alley.

Wasn't there a published fantasy author that used to post here?

unlurking 06-15-2010 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 6820995)
There are 9 or 10 of them as I recall. You'd want to start out with The Black Company.

10, supposedly working on 2 more.
Dread Empire series by Cook is excellent as well.

Night Angel trilogy (Brent Weeks) was pretty dark as well.

Red Brooklyn 06-17-2010 09:40 AM

I haven't read a lot of fantasy either... so for those posting recommendations.... I'm looking for a gauge on how "dark" or "gritty" and intellengent these series' are.

So on a scale from 1 to 10 (1 being something like Harry Potter and 10 being something like King's The Dark Tower, and LotR being a 5 or 6) where would you place these these recommendations? Specifically ASoIaF and Black Company.

Huffmeister 06-17-2010 11:31 AM

If Dark Tower is a 10, I would have to say that ASoIaF is also a 10, although it's kind of hard to make that comparison.

If you're debating whether or not you'll like ASoIaF, here are a few things to keep in mind:

1) There is very little magic. (Dark Tower had a LOT of magic, supernatural, weird stuff going on. This doesn't.)

2) There are only humans (so far). No elves, dwarves (in the traditional fantasy sense, Tyrion not included), fairies, orcs, etc.

3) There is very little combat / action, but the what little there is is pretty damn good.

4) These books are more political in nature. A lot of alliances, Machiavellian manipulations, etc, etc. But there is still a lot of excellent individual character development. Good guys turn bad, bad guys turn good, and sometimes you can't figure out if a particular character is good or bad.

5) There are a LOT of people to keep track of. I mean a LOT of people. Luckily, the books have an appendix in the back that lists the main characters of the major houses and factions.

I would HIGHLY recommend it. At least pick up the first book, A Game Of Thrones, and give it a try. I think you'll be glad you did.

Huffmeister 06-17-2010 11:35 AM

And I almost hesitate to call them "fantasy" novels. I think I'll take a cue from Reaper and make up a new genre for it: "Epic Geo-political Historical Fantasy"

Red Brooklyn 06-17-2010 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cankerskull (Post 6827363)
And I almost hesitate to call them "fantasy" novels. I think I'll take a cue from Reaper and make up a new genre for it: "Epic Geo-political Historical Fantasy"

I'm glad you added this because I was just about to ask what was so "fantasy" about the series! :D

Thanks. It actually sounds right up my alley. I'll check out the first book and see how it goes.

Buck 06-17-2010 12:01 PM

Quote:

ROFL

ToxSocks 06-17-2010 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 6827429)
ROFL

ROFL

Buck 06-20-2010 01:09 AM

Sweet. It only took me 2 hours but I found my book packed away in the garage. Already read the Prologue so I'm going to start at chapter one. Holler.

Red Brooklyn 06-20-2010 08:13 AM

Bought this yesterday. I have another book ahead of it in the line-up. But I should be on it by sometime next week.

I'm looking forward to this.

Huffmeister 06-20-2010 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 6832886)
Bought this yesterday. I have another book ahead of it in the line-up. But I should be on it by sometime next week.

I'm looking forward to this.

Be sure to let us know what you think.

I picked up House of Leaves this week, based on your and Buck's discussions. I'm only a few pages in, but it looks promising (and trippy as hell).

Bowser 06-20-2010 09:44 AM

I'm going to have to see if I can dig of this series on audiobook somewhere (easier with my job that way.....).

Red Brooklyn 06-21-2010 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cankerskull (Post 6832928)

I picked up House of Leaves this week, based on your and Buck's discussions. I'm only a few pages in, but it looks promising (and trippy as hell).

Awesome. I hope you like it. Something about that book just scared the bajeezus outta me. Totally creepy.

I'll keep you posted, you keep me posted.

Reaper16 06-21-2010 09:47 AM

Quote:

I'm sold.

keg in kc 06-21-2010 10:39 AM

Quote:

Fantasy has enough sub-genres not to need any more. I believe that, technically, Ice and Fire is considered High Fantasy/Epic Fantasy, but personally I consider it to be Low Fantasy. The world may be entirely fictional, but the actual fantasy elements (i.e. magic) of the tale are very constrained, although they're definitely there. But it's much more rooted in what I would consider "reality" than something like the Wheel of Time.

Buck 06-21-2010 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cankerskull (Post 6832928)

Yeah, I need to finish that one. First I am going to finish A Game of Thrones, then I'll finish that one.

Red Brooklyn 06-29-2010 02:08 PM

A'ite.

So I finally jumped into the pool. Just got started (finished the Prologue and 1st 'Bran' Chapter), only 25 pages in. So far I love the mood and the writing style. I'm excited to see where this thing goes.

And as a huge fan of LOST, I sort of love that they are referring to groups as The Others right now. Makes me smile.

Bowser 06-29-2010 02:11 PM

Damn, can't get this on CD from the library. Be much quicker for me to catch up on the story if I could listen to it while I'm at work.

keg in kc 06-29-2010 03:05 PM

Audible has it.

I picked up an account there a couple years back, and it's been worth every cent.

Now, I haven't actually listened to it (this is one I read in print...) so I don't know how good the narrator is, etc. But it's a great book.

TrickyNicky 06-29-2010 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 6849858)
Audible has it.

I picked up an account there a couple years back, and it's been worth every cent.

Now, I haven't actually listened to it (this is one I read in print...) so I don't know how good the narrator is, etc. But it's a great book.

The first three books are read by Roy Dotrice and he is amazing. He is also going to be Maester Aemon in the HBO series.

Oh, and there are other means of getting audiobooks online. Less scrupulous to be sure, but its out there.

David. 06-29-2010 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrickyNicky (Post 6820626)
I can recommend a few. However, let me preface it by saying there is nothing in the same league as ASoIaF, IMO.
Assassin's Apprentice

while its definitely not as good as asoiaf (what is really?) The assassins trilogy was definitely a good read. Very dark and gritty, I liked it a lot.
Posted via Mobile Device

TrickyNicky 06-29-2010 06:04 PM

Yeah, poor Fitz gets the screws put to him throughout the whole thing. Did you not like the Liveship or Tawny Man trilogies?

David. 06-29-2010 07:29 PM

I haven't got a chance to read those. I switched phones and haven't had an ereader worth a damn. Ill have to get the paperback versions I suppose.
Posted via Mobile Device

Red Brooklyn 07-11-2010 09:59 AM

Life's been kicking my ass lately, so I haven't had much time to read. I'm only 214 pages into A Game Of Thrones... but damn! What a fascinating story. I'm definately hooked. I think this will translate to TV very well.

keg in kc 07-11-2010 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 6873120)
I think this will translate to TV very well.

It's really ironic. If I remember the story correctly, he began writing the series because there were complaints in Hollywood (he worked primarily in TV) that his scripts were too grandiose. So he wanted to write something really complex with an insane number of characters, something that he could never do in a TV series script. And now they're making a series out of it.

TrickyNicky 07-12-2010 12:59 AM

Conan Stevens was cast as Gregor Clegane. He is an Aussie, a 7ft bodybuilder, and former pro wrestler. I think they will still have to give him lifts and shoot from angles to make him look even bigger.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fvvQ7w0s8TM&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fvvQ7w0s8TM&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

(hint: he's not asian)

Red Brooklyn 07-12-2010 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 6874495)
It's really ironic. If I remember the story correctly, he began writing the series because there were complaints in Hollywood (he worked primarily in TV) that his scripts were too grandiose. So he wanted to write something really complex with an insane number of characters, something that he could never do in a TV series script. And now they're making a series out of it.

That's amazing. Of course, OF COURSE that's the way it went down.

Good for him.

TrickyNicky 07-12-2010 01:41 PM

Also, from his last blog entry before he left to teach a one-week writing course, Dance sounds like its very close to being done. Only a few chapters left. Throw in some time for editing and I'll bet it releases next spring.

Huffmeister 07-12-2010 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 6874495)

Hehe, that's funny. Kind of like how Watchmen could "never be made into a movie".

TrickyNicky 07-13-2010 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winter-is-coming.net
http://winter-is-coming.net/wp-conte...en-234x300.jpg

Aidan Gillen has been cast to play Littlefinger in Game of Thrones according to The Hollywood Reporter’s James Hibberd.

HBO’s fantasy epic “Game of Thrones” has cast a new series regular: Aidan Gillen will play the scheming Littlefinger on the show.

In the adventure series, Littlefinger is an adviser to King Robert who manipulates those in power to fit his own agenda.

Gillen is familiar to HBO viewers as Councilman Thomas ‘Tommy’ Carcetti on the network’s “The Wire.” He was also on “Queer as Folk” and in the movie “Shanghai Knights.”

Winter is Coming: Awesome news! Gillen has been among the top fan choices for Littlefinger for a while now. Amazing how many times the fan favorite has landed the role. Gillen is a superb actor and should absolutely ace the role of the scheming Master of Coin. This cast just keeps getting better and better.

Great choice. I didn't even know he was Irish from watching The Wire.

Red Brooklyn 07-13-2010 09:02 AM

Nice. I didn't watch The Wire, and I don't think I've ever seen this guy's work. I have no idea if he's any good, but I love his look. Perfect for Littlefinger.

keg in kc 07-16-2010 08:37 PM

GAME OF THRONES

HBO Entertainment
Season one will total 10 episodes
Production is based in Belfast, Northern Ireland and is will begin principal photography on July 26, 2010.

“Game of Thrones” has received funding from Northern Ireland Screen and will shoot in the Paint Hall studio, Belfast, as well as various locations in Northern Ireland. A second location for production will be Malta with assistance from the Malta Film Commission.

LOG LINE:

“Game of Thrones” is a new original HBO series based on George R.R. Martin’s best-selling novels. In a world where summers span decades and winters can last a lifetime, the Westeros crown comes with a price. Betrayal, lust, intrigue and supernatural forces shake the four corners of the Kingdom, from the scheming south and the savage eastern lands, to the frozen north and the ancient Wall that protects the realm from the darkness beyond. Kings and queens, knights and renegades, liars and noble men vie for power in the bloody struggle for the Iron Throne.

SERIES CREDITS:

David Benioff Executive Producer
D.B. Weiss Executive Producer
Carolyn Strauss Co-Executive Producer
Guymon Casady Co-Executive Producer
Vince Gerardis Co-Executive Producer
Ralph Vicinanza Co-Executive Producer
George R.R. Martin Co-Executive Producer
Mark Huffam Producer
Frank Doelger Producer
Marco Pontecorvo Director of Photography
Alik Sakharov Director of Photography
Gemma Jackson Production Designer
Michele Clapton Costume Designer

The pilot was written by David Benioff and D.B. Weiss. The writers of the series are: David Benioff & D.B. Weiss (seven episodes), Bryan Cogman, Jane Espenson and George R.R. Martin (one episode each). “Game of Thrones” is based on the series of books “A Song of Ice and Fire” by George R.R. Martin.

The pilot director was Tom McCarthy. Series directors include: Brian Kirk, Daniel Minahan and Alan Taylor. Other directors will be announced as they are confirmed.

SERIES REGULARS IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER:

Mark Addy as King Robert Baratheon
Alfie Allen as Theon Greyjoy
Sean Bean as Eddard “Ned” Stark
Emilia Clarke as Daenerys Targaryen
Nikolaj Coster-Waldau as Ser Jamie Lannister
Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister
Michelle Fairley as Catelyn Stark
Aidan Gillen as Littlefinger
Jack Gleeson as Joffrey Baratheon
Iain Glen as Ser Jorah Mormont
Kit Harington as Jon Snow
Lena Headey as Cersei Lannister
Isaac Hempstead-Wright as Bran Stark
Harry Lloyd as Viserys Targaryen
Richard Madden as Rob Stark
Rory McCann as Sandor Clegane (Hound)
Sophie Turner as Sansa Stark
Maisie Williams as Arya Stark

FEATURED CAST IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER:

John Bradley as Samwell Tarly
Ron Donachie as Ser Rodrik Cassel
Jerome Flynn as Bronn
Conleth Hill as Varys
Jason Momoa as Khal Drogo
Donald Sumpter as Maester Luwin

GUEST CAST IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER:

Josef Altin as Pyp
Gethin Anthony as Renly Baratheon
Ciaran Bermingham as Mord
Esme Bianco as Ros
Susan Brown as Septa Mordane
Dominic Carter as Janos Slynt
Antonia Christophers as Mhaegen
Kate Dickie as Lysa Arryn
Roy Dotrice as Grand Maester Pycelle
Emun Elliott as Marillion
Lino Facioli as Robin Arryn
Jefferson Hall as Ser Hugh of the Vale
Derek Halligan as Alliser Thorne
Rhodri Hosking as Mycah
Margaret John as Old Nan
Finn Jones as Ser Loras Tyrell
Dermot Keaney as Gared
Francis Magee as Yoren
Joseph Mawle as Benjen Stark
Brendan McCormack as Ser Vardis Egan
Ian McElhinney as Ser Barristan Selmy
Luke McEwan as Rast
Kristian Nairn as Hodor
Rob Ostlere as Ser Waymar Royce
Eugene Simon as Lancel Lannister
Jamie Sives as Jory Cassel
John Standing as Jon Arryn
Conan Stevens as Gregor “The Mountain” Clegane
Peter Vaughan as Maester Aemon Targaryen
Miltos Yeromelou as Syrio Forel

Buck 07-20-2010 09:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Huffmeister 07-20-2010 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 6889068)

Got a link to original? The resolution is too low to really see any of the faces.

Buck 07-20-2010 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huffmeister (Post 6889129)
Got a link to original? The resolution is too low to really see any of the faces.

Try this

http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/1...eofthrones.jpg

TrickyNicky 07-20-2010 03:40 PM

James Cosmo as The Old Bear is a great casting. Its going to be at least until next spring with all the reshoots and then shooting the whole season, but I can't wait. I'm betting the 5th book comes out near the premiere.

Red Brooklyn 07-21-2010 08:36 AM

Stellar cast. I get more and more excited for this thing with every page I read. I'm nearing the end and I love the shit outta this thing. I'm not sure I'm going to jump right into the next one. I may read a couple other books first, but I'll definately continue the series.

thecoffeeguy 07-21-2010 08:42 AM

Going to have to re-read the books now.
Look forward to this.

Red Brooklyn 07-21-2010 01:02 PM

For those who have read the series.... are the other books as good as Game Of Thrones? Which do you think is the best of the series so far?

Huffmeister 07-21-2010 01:38 PM

Storm Of Swords was my favorite. The last 100-150 pages or so are absolutely phenomenal. However, they're all solid.

Feast For Crows was my 'least' favorite, but that's just because the list of "major" characters has grown so large that you only got one half of the story. The next book is supposed to cover the same time line, but with the other characters.

One thing I love about these books are the "rumors". You hear main characters talk about other characters or events, and you don't know if the rumors are real or not until much later in the series, when those characters/events are brought to the forefront.

TrickyNicky 07-21-2010 01:40 PM

The 2nd is just as good if not better, and a little longer in length. The 3rd is the best book in any fantasy series ever IMO, and its also huge.

Buck 07-21-2010 01:48 PM

P.S. They are premiering a trailer at Comic Con on Friday, so I'll try and film it and put it up on youtube.

Red Brooklyn 07-21-2010 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 6891349)
P.S. They are premiering a trailer at Comic Con on Friday, so I'll try and film it and put it up on youtube.

Well, damn Buck. You're alright.... for a Charger fan. :D

Red Brooklyn 07-21-2010 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrickyNicky (Post 6891330)
The 2nd is just as good if not better, and a little longer in length. The 3rd is the best book in any fantasy series ever IMO, and its also huge.

Big words, sir (and exciting!). Put it in perspective for me... what would round out your top 5 fantasy books (in any series) ever?

Frazod 07-21-2010 03:01 PM

I had never heard of this before seeing this thread, but it piqued my curiosity enough that a bought the first book today. I'm only a few pages in, but I'm already quite impressed.

Red Brooklyn 07-21-2010 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 6891497)
I had never heard of this before seeing this thread, but it piqued my curiosity enough that a bought the first book today. I'm only a few pages in, but I'm already quite impressed.

Same with me. I'd never heard of it before this thread either. Bought Book One a few weeks back. I'm almost finished and I love it. Love it, love it, love it.

TrickyNicky 07-21-2010 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 6891362)
Big words, sir (and exciting!). Put it in perspective for me... what would round out your top 5 fantasy books (in any series) ever?

Hard to say exactly because there is probably better Fantasy that I'm only one book into. Like The First Law series by Joe Abercrombie, Steven Erikson's Book of the Fallen, and R. Scott Bakker's Prince of Nothing. All of which are excellent.

1. Storm of Swords from ASoIaF
2. Clash of Kings
3. Game of Thrones
4. Feast for Crows

tied for 5th:

Royal Assassin from Farseer Trilogy
Two Towers from LOTR
The Hobbit from LOTR
Lies of Locke Lamora from Gentleman Bastards

I wish I read faster than I do, because I could cover much more ground that way, and there are more fine fantasy writers releasing steadily. I'm currently in the middle of A Feast for Crows on my 3rd read through of the series and I've caught new information or things that tie together each time through.

Red Brooklyn 07-21-2010 03:52 PM

I feel you, man. I'm a very slow reader as well. And I didn't really start to get into reading until around 99/2000. Before that it was a just a chore. Now I read as much as I can. I hardly go anywhere without a book or a play.

Red Brooklyn 07-24-2010 03:35 PM

Wait....

Spoiler!

I can't take this book....

TrickyNicky 07-24-2010 03:44 PM

Spoiler!

Red Brooklyn 07-24-2010 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrickyNicky (Post 6896509)
Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Miles 07-24-2010 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 6891497)

Good luck with the lack of sleep these things cause.

Miles 07-24-2010 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 6891272)
For those who have read the series.... are the other books as good as Game Of Thrones? Which do you think is the best of the series so far?

Just my personal take.

The second is probably on par with the the first.

Storm Of Swords is easily one of the best books I have read.

The 4th installment was a bit of a letdown compared to the high standards set by the previous books but still good.

NewChief 07-24-2010 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 6891571)
I feel you, man. I'm a very slow reader as well. And I didn't really start to get into reading until around 99/2000. Before that it was a just a chore. Now I read as much as I can. I hardly go anywhere without a book or a play.

Because my job is pretty much dealing with literacy, I'd be curious to hear what turned you into a reader?

Shag 07-24-2010 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 6896502)
Wait....

Spoiler!

I can't take this book....

lol, I remember that moment when I was reading aGoT for the first time. This series is really no holds barred - there are no sacred, unkillable characters...

David. 07-24-2010 09:59 PM

Yeah grrm pulls no punches that is for sure
Posted via Mobile Device

thecoffeeguy 07-24-2010 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 6896513)
Spoiler!

I thought the same thing. I was like "NO WAY!"

Red Brooklyn 07-25-2010 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewPhin (Post 6896542)
Because my job is pretty much dealing with literacy, I'd be curious to hear what turned you into a reader?

A combination of things.

1) I started college in the fall of 1998 - theate major. My director/mentor/professor stressed the importance of reading "a play a day." So reading play scripts got me started reading every day.

2) Then, in 1999 I read Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk. That book really changed my life. It changed the way I looked at the world and the way I saw myself in the world. It also opened my eyes to a whole new literary style of which I'd been completely ignorant.

Later that same year I read The Catcher In The Rye. I really haven't slowed down since. It was another book that changed me - or at least - meant a lot to me.

3) Most importantly, I married a woman who has been a devoted reader her entire life. It's become a pleasure we can share. We try to introduce each other to new stuff all the time. She gave me Harry Potter, and I gave her Ender's Game. She gave me The Bell Jar and The Handmaid's Tale and I gave her Never Let Me Go and Rant.

She's read infinently more than I have. I'm still playing catch up. But I really don't mind. There's nothing like reading a great book for the first time. And, while I've dropped the "play a day" habit, I still read a new play at least twice a month. Sometimes, more.

What's your job? If you don't mind my asking...

Red Brooklyn 07-25-2010 08:37 AM

Ya'all have me seriously looking forward to Storm Of Swords.

Red Brooklyn 07-25-2010 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shag (Post 6896761)
lol, I remember that moment when I was reading aGoT for the first time. This series is really no holds barred - there are no sacred, unkillable characters...

It's sick, man! I've never read anything like this (in terms of characters' safety). I only have about 30 pages left, but I had to put it down as I'm at work. I'll finish tonight... but yeah... good god.

Spoiler!

NewChief 07-25-2010 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 6897044)

What's your job? If you don't mind my asking...

Very cool. I'm a teacher. I teach a lot of different language arts courses (creative writing, freshman composition, british literature, etc..), but working with struggling readers and at-risk students is my primary interest and field of study.

Red Brooklyn 07-25-2010 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewPhin (Post 6897050)
Very cool. I'm a teacher. I teach a lot of different language arts courses (creative writing, freshman composition, british literature, etc..), but working with struggling readers and at-risk students is my primary interest and field of study.

Good on ya, man. That's fantastic. Our educational system needs people like you. Thank you for all your hard work. I can only imagine.

My wife is also bilingual. She's fluent in Spanish and knows her way around Italian fairly well. She's working on French now too.

If you ever have any book recommendations, please, throw them at me. I've got a bit of back list built up, but I'm a firm believer in a book's power to find a reader. So, if something grabs me first, it jumps to the front of the line. And I like all of it, so far. Fiction, fantasy, mystery, literary fiction, sci-fi, non fiction, historical fiction, biographies, poetry... whatever.

TrickyNicky 07-25-2010 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 6897048)
It's sick, man! I've never read anything like this (in terms of characters' safety). I only have about 30 pages left, but I had to put it down as I'm at work. I'll finish tonight... but yeah... good god.

Spoiler!

So who is your favorite character?

Red Brooklyn 07-25-2010 09:32 AM

Hard to say. I'm a big fan of Jon and Arya on the Stark side. I'm still not sure I can trust him, but on the Lannister side, you have to love Tyrion. His wit is outstanding. That's about all I like on the Lannister side. Cersei, Jaime and Joff can go straight to hell.

I really like Daenerys, though. She's such a well drawn character... yeah, probably Daenerys and Jon are my favorites right now. But I reserve the right to change my mind once I've finished the book, and I reserve the right to continue to change my mind throughout the series. :)

Red Brooklyn 07-25-2010 03:34 PM

Done.

keg in kc 07-26-2010 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles (Post 6896523)
Just my personal take.

The second is probably on par with the the first.

Storm Of Swords is easily one of the best books I have read.

The 4th installment was a bit of a letdown compared to the high standards set by the previous books but still good.

The 'problem' with the fourth book is that he's juggling so many point of view characters that it's impossible to fit them all into a single novel. So Dance With Dragons, assuming it ever comes out, is essentially the other half of Feast for Crows.

The thing I'm really worried about is that, as with Robert Jordan, he won't be able to finish the series. He's 61, the last book was published 5 years ago, and he's supposed to write two more.

Red Brooklyn 07-26-2010 01:04 PM

I'm reading another book first, but as soon as I'm done I'll be moving on to the 2nd book of this series. I'm so excited. I can't even think about how deflated I'll feel if he never finishes the series. I can't.... I don't wanna talk about it....

NewChief 07-26-2010 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 6898980)
The 'problem' with the fourth book is that he's juggling so many point of view characters that it's impossible to fit them all into a single novel. So Dance With Dragons, assuming it ever comes out, is essentially the other half of Feast for Crows.

The thing I'm really worried about is that, as with Robert Jordan, he won't be able to finish the series. He's 61, the last book was published 5 years ago, and he's supposed to write two more.

From what I've heard, he enjoys being a successful writer much more than he actually enjoys writing anymore. I'm sure the pressure and obligation of a series of that size with a fan base as rabid as that one is stifling to creativity.

Frazod 07-26-2010 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles (Post 6896518)
Good luck with the lack of sleep these things cause.

I only read on the train or on the toilet. It'll probably take me over a month to finish this book. It's 823 pages long, I think I'm on page 80. Damn.

keg in kc 07-26-2010 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewPhin (Post 6899027)
From what I've heard, he enjoys being a successful writer much more than he actually enjoys writing anymore. I'm sure the pressure and obligation of a series of that size with a fan base as rabid as that one is stifling to creativity.

I'm not sure that's a fair statement. You could argue that maybe he doesn't focus enough on Ice and Fire, that he spends too much time working on other projects like Wild Cards or working with Gardner Dozois or comic book projects (and now the Game of Thrones script he's working on), but I don't know that I would say that he doesn't write. Although reading his not a blog, it's pretty clear that he does consider Dance with Dragons an enormous monkey on his back.

NewChief 07-26-2010 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 6899068)
I'm not sure that's a fair statement. You could argue that maybe he doesn't focus enough on Ice and Fire, that he spends too much time working on other projects like Wild Cards or working with Gardner Dozois or comic book projects (and now the Game of Thrones script he's working on), but I don't know that I would say that he doesn't write. Although reading his not a blog, it's pretty clear that he does consider Dance with Dragons an enormous monkey on his back.

Yeah, I probably misphrased. Not that he doesn't enjoy writing. He just might not enjoy writing Ice and Fire any longer.

Lurk 07-26-2010 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 6899068)

Reading his blog is why I have lost a lot of interest in his series. The guy is a complete tool. Besides, like you have already pointed out, I don't see him finishin the series at the pace he is going and given his health condition.

keg in kc 07-26-2010 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lurk (Post 6899084)
Reading his blog is why I have lost a lot of interest in his series. The guy is a complete tool.

Sounds like me with Orson Scott Card. Can't stand that guy.

Red Brooklyn 07-28-2010 08:17 AM

What's that old saying by, for, and about writers... ? "I don't like to write. I like to have written." Maybe that applies overwhelmingly to Mr. Martin.

But if HBO is going to do this thing, seems like that puts a lot of pressure on him to finish. S1 premieres in spring of next year right? So, they'll have to start filming S2 by fall of 2011 at the latest. If they do one season per book, and one season per year... that means he has until 2014 to finish book 5. But then he only has a few months to do 6 and 7 before their respective series' air. Yikes.

Most likely, book 5 comes out next year. He says he's already 4 or 5 chapters into book 6. So, he could probably have book 6 done before 2014. That just leaves 7 hanging in the balance.

I think the worst thing would be for the series to finish on screen and not on paper. I'd hate to have the final chapters of this thing play out on tv without being novelized first.

Frazod 07-28-2010 01:02 PM

Damn, this is great book. I may have to rethink my only reading on the train and toilet plan. :D