ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink KC BBQ: The list and poll (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=207630)

Reaper16 05-14-2009 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz (Post 5765273)
the only thing bad about oklahoma joe's is i hate anything from oklahoma and that is where they got their start at is right in the middle langitude and longitude square in the middle of oklahoma, but haha as you know their bbq is anything but OK

LMAO

MOhillbilly 05-14-2009 12:09 PM

What was a Wabash BBQ in E.C. before it was Wabash BBQ?

Reaper16 05-14-2009 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOhillbilly (Post 5765347)
What was a Wabash BBQ in E.C. before it was Wabash BBQ?

I'm just the man to ask, as I live in Excelsior Springs. Wabash BBQ was an old train station. Its located across the street from the historic Elms hotel. (Curious trivia: the night of the 1948 presidential election, Harry Truman stayed at the Elms. He left on a train from Wabash station and was photographed shortly afterward holding up that newspaper that read 'Dewey Defeats Truman).

In the recent years before the building housed Wabash BBQ, it was a snack shop and later a printing supply store. It became Wabash BBQ in '97.

cookster50 05-14-2009 12:18 PM

Danny Edwards

Buzz 05-14-2009 12:20 PM

Does anyone remember the BBQ place in Raytown called Hobo Joes at 63rd Street and Raytown Road. I used to think that place was great!

Reaper16 05-14-2009 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cookster50 (Post 5765378)
Danny Edwards

Wanna' know something shitty? Danny Edwards uses gas smokers now. I loved their food back when they were at 13th and Grand in that casket-sized building. Loved it.

Now, at their Southwest BLVD location, the food isn't as good. Those gas smokers have a lot to do with it (probably everything to do with it). You can still get a tasty brisket sandwich there, but their ribs are no longer among the best in the city.

cookster50 05-14-2009 12:23 PM

Thanks for the link, so much q, so little time, so many undiscovered places of heaven. Dang, now I want BBQ. DANG YOU AND YOUR THREAD!!!! WANT BBQQQQQQQQQ

Buzz 05-14-2009 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 5765391)
Wanna' know something shitty? Danny Edwards uses gas smokers now. I loved their food back when they were at 13th and Grand in that casket-sized building. Loved it.

Now, at their Southwest BLVD location, the food isn't as good. Those gas smokers have a lot to do with it (probably everything to do with it). You can still get a tasty brisket sandwich there, but their ribs are no longer among the best in the city.

I used to work across the street from them when they were on Grand and you are correct. I went to the new location last year and thought It wasnt as good and a little pricey.

Sweet Daddy Hate 05-14-2009 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 5765391)

That should get you run out of town. Seriously, that's just bad rep to the overall scene.:shake:

There should be a law.

Reaper16 05-14-2009 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raised On Riots (Post 5765413)
That should get you run out of town. Seriously, that's just bad rep to the overall scene.:shake:

There should be a law.

If the food is still good, then its a pardonable offense. The food there isn't terrible by any stretch of the imagination. I'd much rather eat there than, say, KC Masterpiece.

Hell, the Ameristar branch of Arthur Bryant's uses gas smokers, and they churn out better, more consistent food than the original now.

Sweet Daddy Hate 05-14-2009 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 5765428)
If the food is still good, then its a pardonable offense. The food there isn't terrible by any stretch of the imagination. I'd much rather eat there than, say, KC Masterpiece.

Hell, the Ameristar branch of Arthur Bryant's uses gas smokers, and they churn out better, more consistent food than the original now.

KC who? Exactly.

Sacrilege. :harumph:

MOhillbilly 05-14-2009 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 5765363)
I'm just the man to ask, as I live in Excelsior Springs. Wabash BBQ was an old train station. Its located across the street from the historic Elms hotel. (Curious trivia: the night of the 1948 presidential election, Harry Truman stayed at the Elms. He left on a train from Wabash station and was photographed shortly afterward holding up that newspaper that read 'Dewey Defeats Truman).

In the recent years before the building housed Wabash BBQ, it was a snack shop and later a printing supply store. It became Wabash BBQ in '97.

Whats the little red building across from the old 7-11?

SBK 05-14-2009 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 5765001)
KC BBQ on Roswell Road is apparently the best here. Sad when Corky's is the best i've had here. :(

Fox Bros BBQ is the best I've had here. I had KC Pit once and I thought it sucked. Never went back.

http://www.foxbrosbbq.com/

This place is the bomb, we're going again on Saturday night.

Jethopper 05-14-2009 01:37 PM

Zarda.......omfg, the dryest bbq ever.

outhega 05-14-2009 01:51 PM

I don't know if any of you guys have heard of, or eaten at, Big Q Bar-b-que, but I worked there for 6 months and I still have withdrawls if i go to long without some. The sauce it my altime favorite. Tomato base with a nice smokey bite. and the burnt ends...mm..

Close second is Jackstacks i try to hit them up every time i'm in town.

Pitt Gorilla 05-14-2009 02:34 PM

Is Big Bubba's still around?

Pitt Gorilla 05-14-2009 02:39 PM

I like Jack Stack (the original in Martin City) and used to frequent Gate's, but I'll go with Quick's just to be different. I haven't been there in probably 16 years, but it was a good dive with good BBQ.

Al Bundy 05-14-2009 02:43 PM

Big T's over on Blue Ridge is pretty damn good.
Posted via Mobile Device

2bikemike 05-14-2009 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 5765847)
I like Jack Stack (the original in Martin City) and used to frequent Gate's, but I'll go with Quick's just to be different. I haven't been there in probably 16 years, but it was a good dive with good BBQ.

Quicks? didn't they used to be down on SW Blvd? My uncle used to own a bussiness next door to Quicks and my mom worked for him. We used to eat there all the time. But that was so long ago I don't remember if it was good or not but I truly believe thats where I acquired a love for BBQ.

stlchiefs 05-14-2009 04:38 PM

I've been to Jack Stack on the Plaza once and thought it sucked. Overrated. Give me a dump like LCs or a gas station like OK Joes over Jack Crap any day.

Reaper16 05-14-2009 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOhillbilly (Post 5765588)
Whats the little red building across from the old 7-11?

If you're referring to the Mill-Inn Restaurant, its still there and operational. (Wabash BBQ is right down the street from the Mill-Inn) That old 7-11 is a Daylight Donuts shop now.

SAUTO 05-14-2009 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2bikemike (Post 5766124)
Quicks? didn't they used to be down on SW Blvd? My uncle used to own a bussiness next door to Quicks and my mom worked for him. We used to eat there all the time. But that was so long ago I don't remember if it was good or not but I truly believe thats where I acquired a love for BBQ.

SW blvd/ merriam lane, yep thats them, and they have one on 7th street from the same family. oh lawrence too

BigOlChiefsfan 05-15-2009 10:43 AM

I literally grew up eating Snead's burnt ends, started going there in the 70's and their burnt ends are what got me hooked on Q in the first place. They're still pretty good, I ate there last summer. If you're in the area, give 'em a try.

I like Bryant's (skip the original sauce) beef and fries. Calvin Trillin knows his stuff.
Oklahoma Joe's pork (and their too-salty-to-be-good-for-me fries) rock. Love their 'Night of the living BBQ' sauce.
When Jake Edwards was alive I ate there every chance but without the old man kicking ass and turning brisket, their meat isn't the same.
Bates City BBQ - their ribs are a good deal - by the way, I see a sign showing their new home will be just off Neiman a block south of Johnson Drive. Smokestack meat is pretty good, beans are awesome. Jack Stack is pretty good, but I let the out-of-towners have my spot, their prics are too high for a local yokel. I can eat mo' bettah at Oklahoma Joe's and have less hassle.
Rosedale ribs on Sunday used to be cheap enough to offset the bad sauce and so on. Haven't been there in years.
I won't drive across town to eat at Gates, but if I'm in the area I'll grab a beef and a half. I like the drive-thru at Main, near Costco. Can't remember the cross street, follow your nose. Drive thru = less may I help you? confusion...you know they're talking to you. Walking in to the one at State line/103rd is a loud-ass guessing game.

OK, now I've got to drive to Bryants for beef, beer and lard-cooked fries. You people are costing me money, and when I have the obligatory heart attack I hope you all feel ashamed. Shame on all of yez!

MOhillbilly 05-15-2009 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 5766169)
If you're referring to the Mill-Inn Restaurant, its still there and operational. (Wabash BBQ is right down the street from the Mill-Inn) That old 7-11 is a Daylight Donuts shop now.

I went to E.S. for my uncles thing at the Elms a few years back. Wish my Grandmother had never sold her house. Big blue 2 story on waters i think.
Anyway i had alot of fun there.

Sweet Daddy Hate 05-15-2009 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigOlChiefsfan (Post 5767617)
I literally grew up eating Snead's burnt ends, started going there in the 70's and their burnt ends are what got me hooked on Q in the first place. They're still pretty good, I ate there last summer. If you're in the area, give 'em a try.

I like Bryant's (skip the original sauce) beef and fries. Calvin Trillin knows his stuff.
Oklahoma Joe's pork (and their too-salty-to-be-good-for-me fries) rock. Love their 'Night of the living BBQ' sauce.
When Jake Edwards was alive I ate there every chance but without the old man kicking ass and turning brisket, their meat isn't the same.
Bates City BBQ - their ribs are a good deal - by the way, I see a sign showing their new home will be just off Neiman a block south of Johnson Drive. Smokestack meat is pretty good, beans are awesome. Jack Stack is pretty good, but I let the out-of-towners have my spot, their prics are too high for a local yokel. I can eat mo' bettah at Oklahoma Joe's and have less hassle.
Rosedale ribs on Sunday used to be cheap enough to offset the bad sauce and so on. Haven't been there in years.
I won't drive across town to eat at Gates, but if I'm in the area I'll grab a beef and a half. I like the drive-thru at Main, near Costco. Can't remember the cross street, follow your nose. Drive thru = less may I help you? confusion...you know they're talking to you. Walking in to the one at State line/103rd is a loud-ass guessing game.

OK, now I've got to drive to Bryants for beef, beer and lard-cooked fries. You people are costing me money, and when I have the obligatory heart attack I hope you all feel ashamed. Shame on all of yez!

Just make sure you're having sex after that meal when the heart-attack comes, and mister; you WIN.

Big Ol' Chiefs Fan: 1

Life: 0

Sure-Oz 10-21-2009 06:11 PM

So Josh Looney said that Sproles is going to go to Gates, and i told him twitter to that he should go to oklahoma joes first, he then replied to me saying he prefers LC's bbq. Let me know what you think people. i also like bates city bbq as well as oklahoma joes and jack stack. Gates isn't bad either

Reaper16 10-21-2009 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 6194435)
So Josh Looney said that Sproles is going to go to Gates, and i told him twitter to that he should go to oklahoma joes first, he then replied to me saying he prefers LC's bbq. Let me know what you think people. i also like bates city bbq as well as oklahoma joes

I might have said the same thing as Looney. I saw that Tweet before I saw this post, btw. I'm now following you.

Sure-Oz 10-21-2009 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 6194440)
I might have said the same thing as Looney. I saw that Tweet before I saw this post, btw. I'm now following you.

I will have to give that place a shot soon, i haven't even heard of it. Haha thanks for following, i returned the favor

Reaper16 10-21-2009 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 6194446)
I will have to give that place a shot soon, i haven't even heard of it. Haha thanks for following, i returned the favor

You haven't heard of L.C.'s? Its the best place in KC, IMO. Don't get me wrong -- I LOVE Oklahoma Joe's and eat there more than any other place. But L.C.'s burnt ends and brisket are transcendent.

Saccopoo 10-21-2009 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 5762418)
Back in the 80's, Smoke Stack in Martin City ruled. Even the one on the Paseo was excellent.

Jess & Jim's or Smokestack. That was a hard call to make every time you went out there for dinner.

My personal preference was Haywards and Gates when I was there.

Sure-Oz 10-21-2009 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 6194460)
You haven't heard of L.C.'s? Its the best place in KC, IMO. Don't get me wrong -- I LOVE Oklahoma Joe's and eat there more than any other place. But L.C.'s burnt ends and brisket are transcendent.

I haven't, and that's strange...

I hadn't been to OK joes till this past summer...i usually ate at Gates, Zarda and Jackstack for my bbq needs.

Dave Lane 10-21-2009 06:43 PM

Its funny the list of those that like Jack Stack BBQ are almost all out of towners. Tells you all you really need to know about Jack Stack.

Dave Lane 10-21-2009 06:45 PM

I went with Arthur Bryants over LCs by a squeak. Though LCs beans rock really hard.

Reaper16 10-21-2009 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 6194477)
Its funny the list of those that like Jack Stack BBQ are almost all out of towners. Tells you all you really need to know about Jack Stack.

I like knowing that I can score some rocks within three blocks of a BBQ joint. That's the truly authentic KC experience.

wildcat09 10-21-2009 07:19 PM

I love Bates City........I also love you can get a full rack of ribs for $11

I live right by Brobecks and they are pretty good, too.....

wildcat09 10-21-2009 07:21 PM

one other thing.....boooo Zarda......I just don't like that place at all

boogblaster 10-21-2009 08:08 PM

Being from out of town ive eaten in just a few ... Gates .. KC Masterpiece .. Zarda ... all were BBQ ... liked Gates endsamwich best ... would like to try LC or OK Joe tho ...

Reaper16 10-21-2009 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boogblaster (Post 6194683)
Being from out of town ive eaten in just a few ... Gates .. KC Masterpiece .. Zarda ... all were BBQ ... liked Gates endsamwich best .

Yeah, Gates would be far-and-away the best of that meager lineup.

wildcat09 10-21-2009 08:13 PM

I like to sample everything from everywhere......each place has something they do better than others. I have yet to go somewhere that has the best everything. I was in Wichita for business last week and had Hogwild......good ribs. Wasnt really impressed by the rest of the menu.

gblowfish 10-21-2009 08:13 PM

First of all, props to Big Red Chief for putting together such a comprehensive list. Nice job!

I've devoted a section of my website to KC BBQ for many years, and have always said BBQ is like politics or religion, everybody has a personal opinion, and there are no right or wrong answers. You can see my BBQ page here:

http://www.georgeblowfish.com/BBQ.html

Wanted to address a few of the questions in this thread, especially for those who are out of towners, and may come to KC on a BBQ pilgrimage:

1) The can't go wrong, true KC BBQ experience places are:
Bryants, Gates, Smokestack, LC's, Oklahoma Joe's, Rosedale.

Eat at any of these, and you will have had an authentic KC BBQ meal.
Coming to KC and eating at KC Masterpiece is like going to Santa Fe for mexican food and eating at Taco Bell.

2) I've been to Big T's a couple of times, and highly recommend it. I think they are excellent. Big portions, great beans, good sausage, and they're open on Sunday. LC's is not open Sunday. So, if you need BBQ on Sunday night, go to Big T's.

3) Rosedale sauce is great on chicken strips, Arby's roast beef sandwiches, etc. It's very versatile. It has a fruity kick to it, very unique and different from other sauces. I like it. But I also like Arthur Bryant's original sauce, which is tart and spicy, and almost the complete opposite of Rosedale. I like them both because they have individual character.

4) Chain places, for the most part, suck. Rib Crib is like Chili's. Bandana's? St. Louis doesn't know diddly about BBQ. Have you ever had Maull's BBQ sauce? I rest my case. Only chain that is decent in KC is Famous Dave's. Their food is pretty good, but not world class.

5) Danny Edwards is good, I really love their sauce, but they're only open for lunch. Can't get dinner there, and that's too bad. They're right next door to Ponak's Mexican food, and could do a big night business if they wanted to.

6) Zarda has drive thru service, and that's the best thing they have. Their food is just OK, ribs are not nearly as good as other places in town.

7) Quick's BBQ and Wyandotte BBQ ribs just flat out suck. Taste like fatty pot roast. Not good at all, but I know some people like that kind of thing.

8) Best Beans: Smokestack, Gates, Big T's.

9) Most unusual dishes at KC BBQ places: Mutton and Yammer Pie at Gates, Salmon at Smokestack, Chicken Gumbo at Oklahoma Joes, Brownies at Danny Edwards.

10) I've been to Snead's, but that was three or four years ago. It's very good. The out of town locations like Bates City BBQ or places in Lawrence or Excelsior Springs (for example) are hard for most KC residents to judge, because they're quite far out of the way.

Any place you go in KC is most likely going to be among the best BBQ you've ever had, especially if you're not from here. Enjoy!

wildcat09 10-21-2009 08:18 PM

Anyone had Pappy's Smokehouse in St. Louis?? Mighty good ribs

ChiefsCountry 10-21-2009 08:18 PM

I love Gates, mainly bc of their sauce. Bandana's for a chain isn't too bad, when you aren't in Kansas City.

Reaper16 10-21-2009 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 6194697)

10) I've been to Snead's, but that was three or four years ago. It's very good. The out of town locations like Bates City BBQ or places in Lawrence or Excelsior Springs (for example) are hard for most KC residents to judge, because they're quite far out of the way.

Wabash BBQ in my hometown of Excelsior Springs. It is so terrible now. In the late 90's it was FABULOUS. Impeccable ribs. It is an over-smoked husk of its former self these days.

Sweet Daddy Hate 10-21-2009 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 6194485)
I like knowing that I can score some rocks within three blocks of a BBQ joint. That's the truly authentic KC experience.

ROFL It's funny because it's true.

Silock 10-21-2009 09:16 PM

Oklahoma Joe's. Even Anthony Bourdain agrees, saying it's one of the 13 places in the WORLD you must eat before you die. This list includes some of the best restaurants in the world, like elBulli, St. John and Etxebarri. Pretty ringing endorsement.

http://www.menshealth.com/bestfoods/...re_You_Die.php

Reaper16 10-21-2009 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 6194861)
Oklahoma Joe's. Even Anthony Bourdain agrees, saying it's one of the 13 places in the WORLD you must eat before you die. This list includes some of the best restaurants in the world, like elBulli, St. John and Etxebarri. Pretty ringing endorsement.

http://www.menshealth.com/bestfoods/...re_You_Die.php

That list is so good. Its a nice mix of places that all food people know, tiny places that people only know about, by-and-large, because of Bourdain, and small places that really represent a city (like Ok Joe's and Hot Doug's).

sportsman1 10-21-2009 09:22 PM

I can't even try Oklahoma Joes for one simple reason. It is called Oklahoma Joe's. I hate that place (the state) so much, and can't stand to see anything named Oklahoma associated with the best in Kansas City BBQ. So what is the story? Why is it named that. Enlighten the prejudiced one.

Reaper16 10-21-2009 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sportsman1 (Post 6194871)
I can't even try Oklahoma Joes for one simple reason. It is called Oklahoma Joe's. I hate that place (the state) so much, and can't stand to see anything named Oklahoma associated with the best in Kansas City BBQ. So what is the story? Why is it named that. Enlighten the prejudiced one.

Post #77 in this very thread has your answer. To repost:

Oklahoma Joe's is so-named because owner Jeff Stehney (a KC man) first used an Oklahoma Joe brand smoker when he started competing. Through this, Jeff became friends with the owner of the brand. They decided to go into the restaurant business together. One Oklahoma Joe's was opened in Stillwater (HQ of the smoker compnay) and another in KCK. When the owner of the smoker brand sold the company some short time later the Stillwater branch was closed down. All of which is to say that I don't consider the restaurant to be Oklahoman in any respect. Its Jeff's food.

sportsman1 10-21-2009 09:30 PM

Thanks.. good to know. Sorry I missed #77.

Reaper16 10-21-2009 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sportsman1 (Post 6194889)
Thanks.. good to know. Sorry I missed #77.

I don't blame you. I forgot that it was in this thread. I went to search up my answer instead of re-typing it and found that it was in this thread from earlier in the year.

Hammock Parties 10-21-2009 09:36 PM

I've had Gates, Stack and KC Masterpiece.

Stack won out by far. In fact, I am definitely going to order some of their shit.

Reaper16 10-21-2009 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoChiefs (Post 6194911)

Stack won out by far. In fact, I am definitely going to order some of their shit.

Next time you come to KC, GoChiefs, you will dine better. I will make sure of it.

dirk digler 10-21-2009 09:50 PM

I love Oklahoma Joe's. I was just there a couple of weeks ago and I like it alot better than Jack Stack's.

Hammock Parties 10-21-2009 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 6194969)
I love Oklahoma Joe's. I was just there a couple of weeks ago and I like it alot better than Jack Stack's.

It sounds like OJ's will have to be next.

BigRedChief 10-21-2009 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoChiefs (Post 6194911)

WTF did you go to KC masterpiece?

Hammock Parties 10-21-2009 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 6195000)
WTF did you go to KC masterpiece?

1999. My Uncle was a doof.

sportsman1 10-21-2009 10:09 PM

I think I will try Ok. Joe's next time. Smokehouse is my fav for restaraunt setting, Gate's is all about the sauce, and Zarda's is decent, because I can buy the sauce here when my supply of Gate's runs out. Donno why anyone would do the KC masterpiece thing. I'm glad the restaruant is gone. Was a bad thing for KC BBQ.

dirk digler 10-21-2009 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoChiefs (Post 6194978)
It sounds like OJ's will have to be next.

Let me know when you are coming and I will buy.

macdawg 10-22-2009 12:53 AM

I voted for Oklahoma Joes. The ribs, brisket, pulled pork, fries & rings, sauce, and they also have a gumbo soup thing I had once that was insane. Good range of everything.

I do consider Jack Stacks a tie with OK joes though, I voted OK Joes because I might have it a tad higher, but Jack Stacks has a better atmosphere and you don't have to stand in an hour long line to eat there.

Bryants I love too, you either love it or you hate it because of the sauce, I'd much sooner send a visitor to Jack Stack or OK Joes.

Saccopoo 10-22-2009 01:27 AM

3 Attachment(s)
One of the best places I've ever had KC style BBQ ribs was here in Salt Lake City, Utah.

The joint is called "My Backyard." (All humor aside, you guys have talked me into trying Oklahoma Joes the next time I'm in KC.)

bigpimpingchief 10-22-2009 04:54 AM

The wife and i will be in KC for the Buffalo game. After reading these reviews I plan on definately getting to Jack steak and OK joe's. I am currently a BBQ amatuer but I am looking for chiefsplanet assitence in trying to find out where to go and have some of the best BBQ and/or steak.

MOhillbilly 10-22-2009 07:43 AM

DONT PASS UP AB. most of these yuppies are just to scared to roll through the hood.

Abba-Dabba 10-22-2009 07:49 AM

Whichever one has mustard Q sauce.

MOhillbilly 10-22-2009 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saggysack (Post 6195449)
Whichever one has mustard Q sauce.

devilworshiper.

tooge 10-22-2009 09:20 AM

3 Attachment(s)
personally I like my own best. These were turned in a few competitions ago. Chix not as black as in the pics. Ribs took 11th out of 96.

wildcat09 10-22-2009 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 6195611)
personally I like my own best. These were turned in a few competitions ago. Chix not as black as in the pics. Ribs took 11th out of 96.

What's on the lunch menu for today?
Posted via Mobile Device

tooge 10-22-2009 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildcat09 (Post 6195776)
What's on the lunch menu for today?
Posted via Mobile Device

heh, i'm gettin a free lunch from a drug rep. Cascones italian.

Demonpenz 10-22-2009 10:56 AM

my parents came down from st joe ad got some famous dave down at the power and light and said it was good.

Sure-Oz 10-22-2009 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz (Post 6195844)
my parents came down from st joe ad got some famous dave down at the power and light and said it was good.

:doh!:

Reaper16 10-22-2009 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz (Post 6195844)

Best part about this post is the fact that there is a Famous Dave's in St. Joe.

wildcat09 10-22-2009 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 6195843)
heh, i'm gettin a free lunch from a drug rep. Cascones italian.

I am a rep (not pharma) so I am feeding people today, too.........I need to start using a BBQ joint

Pablo 10-22-2009 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 6195869)
Best part about this post is the fact that there is a Famous Dave's in St. Joe.

Yeah, but if Demon's parents are true 238er's then they aren't going all the way up to the North Shoppes to spend their hard-earned cash. Besides, they can always pick up a hamburger from Ford's in the South End. Delicious BBQ.

Gadzooks 10-22-2009 01:54 PM

Adam's Rib has closed down.

Sure-Oz 10-22-2009 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gadzooks (Post 6196281)
Adam's Rib has closed down.

Yeah i saw that 2 weeks ago, major bummer, i ate there once a week at work

wildcat09 10-22-2009 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 6196491)
Yeah i saw that 2 weeks ago, major bummer, i ate there once a week at work

damn that sucks......I loved the giant rib they had only on Friday and Saturday in addition to the sweet potato fries :(

wildcat09 10-22-2009 03:31 PM

There was an Adam's Rib (no relation to the one that was here) in Garden City, Ks.......I went to juco there and dated a girl that worked there......all the BBQ I could stomach for FREE........even when I transferred she would bring me some........those were the days

Barret 10-22-2009 04:56 PM

A question for you all that have BBQ knowledge.

Is there an ability to order meats from any of these places?

Is the quality going to be sub-standard to where it isnt worth spending the money on it?

If it is sub-standard would ordering any specific rubs/sauce and then cooking selected meat from a store locally be a decent choice?

I ask because I live in Tyler, Texas and the only place that has decent ribs here is called The Country Tavern. http://www.countrytavern.com/media.php

Anyway I have tried to inform a Texan here that KC has the best BBQ and she throws the Country Tavern in my face. I would like to find a way to make her eat her words but cant travel to KC to do it. That is why I asked the questions above.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reaper16 10-22-2009 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barret (Post 6196827)
A question for you all that have BBQ knowledge.

Is there an ability to order meats from any of these places?

Is the quality going to be sub-standard to where it isnt worth spending the money on it?

If it is sub-standard would ordering any specific rubs/sauce and then cooking selected meat from a store locally be a decent choice?

I ask because I live in Tyler, Texas and the only place that has decent ribs here is called The Country Tavern. http://www.countrytavern.com/media.php

Anyway I have tried to inform a Texan here that KC has the best BBQ and she throws the Country Tavern in my face. I would like to find a way to make her eat her words but cant travel to KC to do it. That is why I asked the questions above.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.jackstackbbq.com/default.asp

Ta-da!

SAUTO 10-22-2009 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 6194710)
I love Gates, mainly bc of their sauce. Bandana's for a chain isn't too bad, when you aren't in Kansas City.

you know there is a bandana'a about 30 minutes away from me and i really like the place but yeah i probably would never eat there if i were in KC, and i dont use the mustard sauce, the kc style is more my style

Sure-Oz 10-22-2009 07:21 PM

I love gates sauce, but i love oklahoma joes sauce even more the 'nightmare on bbq sauce' sauce is the shit, you can buy that in stores too.