ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Electronics The Android Tablet Watch Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=243749)

Param 07-20-2011 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 7760757)
sort of.. $200-$350 is the sweet spot .. meaning your low end model should be around $200 and high end around $350... I don't expect anyone to release anything decent in that range in 2011.

Tablets need to come down. They're just too expensive for what they are.

BigMeatballDave 07-20-2011 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLAG (Post 7760749)

****! This shit always happens when I don't have the cash.

kysirsoze 08-15-2011 06:00 PM

I'm reposting my question from earlier in the thread, but does anyone have any experience with the Toshiba Thrive? My big question is can I hook my DSLR camera to it through HDMI and use the Thrive as a monitor for filming.

Any other thoughts about it?

unlurking 08-15-2011 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kysirsoze (Post 7827178)
I'm reposting my question from earlier in the thread, but does anyone have any experience with the Toshiba Thrive? My big question is can I hook my DSLR camera to it through HDMI and use the Thrive as a monitor for filming.

Any other thoughts about it?

Chainfire at xda has been working on an app for Canon EOS DSLR. (Don't know what your camera is. Waiting on something for my Nikon.) Awesome app.

https://market.android.com/details?i...dslrcontroller

<object width="560" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lnxvFYza6Y4?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lnxvFYza6Y4?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="349" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Don't know anything about the Toshiba Thrive.

Just did this over the weekend on my Xoom, guessing it will work on most Tegra units though (know it works on the Atrix) if something like this is important to people looking at different tablets...

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-A...0814133506.png

DaFace 08-15-2011 08:02 PM

I know nothing about the Toshiba, but...

Acer's A100 launched today. It's slightly smaller at 7" instead of 10", but it only costs $330 and comes with Android 3.2 out of the box. Getting pretty tempting...

kysirsoze 08-15-2011 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 7827533)
Chainfire at xda has been working on an app for Canon EOS DSLR. (Don't know what your camera is. Waiting on something for my Nikon.) Awesome app.

https://market.android.com/details?i...dslrcontroller

<object width="560" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lnxvFYza6Y4?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lnxvFYza6Y4?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="349" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Yeah, I saw that app after I posted. They say there should be video support eventually but it's not there yet. :cuss:

That would be great, but for now I would be content to just be able to monitor the shot. I can buy a seperate monitor, but it would be nice to have that funtionality with something that I could use for other purposes as well.

TrickyNicky 08-16-2011 07:50 AM

Iconia 16GB for $399 with $100 gift card at newegg today. Thinking about it...

Anyone have any first-hand experience with it?

the Talking Can 08-16-2011 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLAG (Post 7760749)

whoa...I've been interested in a tablet, but not at >$250...this might be the ticket

TrickyNicky 08-16-2011 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 7828430)
whoa...I've been interested in a tablet, but not at >$250...this might be the ticket

Hate to be THAT guy, but *Valid through 7/30/2011

the Talking Can 08-16-2011 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrickyNicky (Post 7828436)
Hate to be THAT guy, but *Valid through 7/30/2011

whoops....

ah well, i can wait

WilliamTheIrish 08-16-2011 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 7828454)
whoops....

ah well, i can wait

Can,

Students are desperate:

If you're okay with a used tab of any type, look at Craigslist in your area. I picked up an 8 month old iPad(1)64g with wifi for $200. Like you, I just canot pay apple's price for their product. It's been perfect for me and the price was right.

There are bargains out there if you're okay with the secondary market.

the Talking Can 08-16-2011 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamTheIrish (Post 7828490)
Can,

Students are desperate:

If you're okay with a used tab of any type, look at Craigslist in your area. I picked up an 8 month old iPad(1)64g with wifi for $200. Like you, I just canot pay apple's price for their product. It's been perfect for me and the price was right.

There are bargains out there if you're okay with the secondary market.

good idea, I live in a college town...thx

Crush 08-25-2011 05:40 PM

If anyone who has a Xoom wants both Asus's awesome weather app and ice cube live wallpaper, the apks are available. You do not need to be rooted, despite what it says. Just download to your downloads folder, navigate to the files using your favorite explorer, and install the apks. I have done this and confirms that it works on a non-rooted Wifi-only U.S. Xoom. Probably a repost (the guy posted it in April), but Asus's weather widget is really really good.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1048959

unlurking 08-25-2011 07:58 PM

Not sure why, but I've kind of gotten in the habit of minimalist on my tablet screen. Got sick of all the clutter. I use to love playing with all the different widgets out there, now the only ones I keep on my screen are mail and calendar. I only use the main screen too.

Now my phone has 5 screens filled and I often debated going to 7. Once I got my tablet my phone dropped down to 3 screens. A few more months though, and my phone may be used more like a phone again.

TrickyNicky 08-25-2011 10:13 PM

Viewsonic g Tablet only $210 with free shipping

I'm going to sleep on it, but I am very close to pulling the trigger. It does seem like prices for the last gen of android tablets are dropping steadily. I'm contemplating if I should just wait for the next tablets to debut.

007 08-25-2011 10:31 PM

Now why would you want to have that old antiquated crap when you can have this cool ipad?

Crush 09-22-2011 07:59 AM

Android 3.2.1 is now rolling out for WiFi Xooms.

Mr. Plow 09-22-2011 08:04 AM

Wife is "hinting" at wanting a tablet which means I don't have to waste time coming up with a Xmas present for her.

I'd like to avoid iPad/Apple if at all possible, so what are the good ones that I should be watching for? I'd like to try to catch one on sale at some point, then use it....errr....I mean hide it until Xmas.

Crush 09-22-2011 08:34 AM

It depends on what features you are willing to trade off. The Xoom has excellent build quality, mini HDMI, SD Card slot (read only at the moment), and mini USB. It also gets software updates first because it is running stock android. However, its screen is inferior to both the Transformer and Galaxy Tab 10.1. With the recent price drop, I think the Xoom is now the cheapest of the bunch.

The Transformer has an excellent IPS screen, mini USB, mini HDMI, SD Card slot (read and write), and Asus seems to be on the ball with its software updates. The Transformer also connects to the optional keyboard that turns it into a mini-netbook.

The Galaxy Tab 10.1 is the most "ipad-like" of the bunch. Its screen blows all of the other tablets out of the water. However, there is no mini USB, mini HDMI, or SD card slot. You would have to buy Samsung's proprietary adapter to hook it up to your computer. Also, you have to deal Samsung's TouchWiz interface.

The Toshiba Thrive has a Xoom-like screen, full USB, full HDMI, full-size SD Card slot, removable battery, but reviews have noted that it lags more than the other tablets.

HTC just came out with its 10.1 inch Jetstream through AT&T, but it is the most expensive of the bunch. There is also no WiFi only model at this point.

MTG#10 09-22-2011 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 7932158)
Wife is "hinting" at wanting a tablet which means I don't have to waste time coming up with a Xmas present for her.

I'd like to avoid iPad/Apple if at all possible, so what are the good ones that I should be watching for? I'd like to try to catch one on sale at some point, then use it....errr....I mean hide it until Xmas.

I did a ton of research on these things the last month and I would highly recommend the Asus Transformer. Its got an amazing screen, microsd slot, hdmi, and for about $100 more you can pick up a keyboard dock to connect it to that basically turns it into a laptop and extends the battery life significantly. I don't regret my purchase at all.

damaticous 09-22-2011 07:00 PM

Archos G9

I have a Archos G8 101 tablet that I love!!!! I'm going to be getting the G9 and giving the G8 to my girlfriend. I'm excited to get one, but it's going to be next month.

Oh! one GREAT benefit of the Archos compared to the rest is the plugs. it has an HDMI that i've plugged into my tv and can play movies. They look and sound really good too.

Can't WAIT to get my G9

do some googling, make a spreadsheet with all the features of the ones you are interested in.....you will most likely keep going back to the archos like I did. GREAT price and great features. You won't be dissapointed.

Mr. Plow 09-22-2011 07:40 PM

Thanks guys! Keep 'em coming.

DaFace 09-22-2011 08:22 PM

A coworker of mine loves his ASUS Transformer. I think they've got a new one coming out in October (?) that is supposed to have a dual-core processor, but honestly, I couldn't say how much of a difference that will really make.

Crush 09-29-2011 05:34 PM

Another software is rolling out for WiFi Xooms.

Also, Woot currently has the Xoom for $349.99 + $5 shipping.

the Talking Can 09-29-2011 05:44 PM

samsung galaxy tab 8.9 and 7.7....

everything i've read about them has me stoked

WoodDraw 09-29-2011 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 7953547)
samsung galaxy tab 8.9 and 7.7....

everything i've read about them has me stoked

I just wish I had more faith in Samsung to actually support their products. They have an incredibly poor record of providing timely software updates, if updates at all. And with a new release of Android coming soon, that's an important thought.

They're also involved in pretty significant litigation over the tablets all over the world with Apple.

Dave Lane 09-30-2011 08:59 AM

My only question is can you "jailbreak" these tablet so you can download all the apps for free? Otherwise pass...

BigMeatballDave 09-30-2011 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 7954618)
My only question is can you "jailbreak" these tablet so you can download all the apps for free? Otherwise pass...

The term is 'root'. And no. I don't think that is possible.

007 09-30-2011 03:28 PM

any tablet can be rooted. It's just a matter of how long it takes the devs to get the root out there.

DaFace 09-30-2011 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 7955469)
any tablet can be rooted. It's just a matter of how long it takes the devs to get the root out there.

...which usually isn't very long.

007 09-30-2011 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 7955921)
...which usually isn't very long.

Unless it is an HP Touchpad. That one is taking them a while but from what I have seen, they are getting very close now.

BigMeatballDave 09-30-2011 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 7955469)

I know they can be rooted. I don't think it's possible to get free apps that otherwise aren't.

I've seen a rooted Nook Color running CM7.

DaFace 09-30-2011 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 7955973)
Unless it is an HP Touchpad. That one is taking them a while but from what I have seen, they are getting very close now.

Well, technically, the issue there isn't the root, it's developing a stable Android ROM to run on it.

MoreLemonPledge 09-30-2011 10:40 PM

Hoping they get Android up and running smoothly on Touchpads soon. WebOS has been underwhelming.

007 09-30-2011 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoreLemonPledge (Post 7956094)
Hoping they get Android up and running smoothly on Touchpads soon. WebOS has been underwhelming.

I haven't had a real problem with webOS other than the severe lack of apps. Thats really the only reason I want Android for it.

DaFace 10-01-2011 07:58 PM

Best Buy just knocked $200 off of the HTC Flyer's price, so if anyone's looking for a 7-inch tablet that isn't the Kindle, it's only $299.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HTC+-+Fl...lyer&cp=1&lp=1

MoreLemonPledge 10-01-2011 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 7956099)
I haven't had a real problem with webOS other than the severe lack of apps. Thats really the only reason I want Android for it.

I should specify. The OS itself is actually pretty nice. It's the lack of support/apps that kills it for me.

DaFace 11-10-2011 10:57 AM

In case anyone's interested, the 32GB Xoom (refurbished) is on Woot today for $329.

http://www.woot.com/

WoodDraw 11-10-2011 12:34 PM

I can't believe there isn't more activity ahead of Christmas. I've been wanting to buy a tablet for awhile now, and am finally ready but I just can't find one I like.

I really like Samsung's offerings, but they're a no go for me because they simply don't support them and with ICS out, I won't buy a high end tablet without a guarantee it will be upgraded.

The Xoom 2 probably would be my choice, given it's about as close to a Google product as it comes, but it doesn't even have a US release schedule yet.

Boo.

AustinChief 11-10-2011 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodDraw (Post 8097385)
I can't believe there isn't more activity ahead of Christmas. I've been wanting to buy a tablet for awhile now, and am finally ready but I just can't find one I like.

I really like Samsung's offerings, but they're a no go for me because they simply don't support them and with ICS out, I won't buy a high end tablet without a guarantee it will be upgraded.

The Xoom 2 probably would be my choice, given it's about as close to a Google product as it comes, but it doesn't even have a US release schedule yet.

Boo.

If you want a FULL SIZED high end tablet, the Transformer Prime is looking like the way to go at this point. It will be the first tablet with a quad-core processor and in theory it should blow everyone else away in terms of performance. It's supposed to be decently priced too at $500-600.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/09/t...splay-12-hour/

The only thing it lacks is a 3g/4g antennna for a cell connection... but if you have a decent phone, you should be able to just use it's mobile connection to connect.

Oh and it will ship with Honeycomb but will be one of the first to upgrade to ICS.

WoodDraw 11-10-2011 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 8097458)
If you want a FULL SIZED high end tablet, the Transformer Prime is looking like the way to go at this point. It will be the first tablet with a quad-core processor and in theory it should blow everyone else away in terms of performance. It's supposed to be decently priced too at $500-600.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/09/t...splay-12-hour/

The only thing it lacks is a 3g/4g antennna for a cell connection... but if you have a decent phone, you should be able to just use it's mobile connection to connect.

Oh and it will ship with Honeycomb but will be one of the first to upgrade to ICS.

For some reason I just don't like the form. Such a big border... But that maybe just be the pictures. I'd have to hold it in my hand and see.

I agree it's pretty much the winner right now though.

[edit]

I'm fine with WiFi only too. I'm not looking for another data plan. Anytime I'm out of WiFi, I can tether to my phone.

I also don't have a problem with Honeycomb. I just want a guarantee of future updates. That's one reason I'm looking towards Moto. With there coming marriage to Google, that gives me hope that Google will use them to put pressure on other manufacturers for timely updates. What is ASUS's track record with updates?

AustinChief 11-15-2011 01:43 AM

For all those who care... ICE CREAM SANDWICH IS OFFICIALLY HERE!

Android 4.0 source code has been released to the public. This is MASSIVE... mostly because Android 3.0 was NOT released. So now the developer community has access to a huge amount of new features from the last TWO major releases.

Combine this with the availability of the super fast Tegra 3 (which also has crazy good power consumption.. meaning great battery life) and Android is finally hitting stride. And frankly, it's just in time with Windows 8 getting set for release next year.

AustinChief 11-15-2011 01:46 AM

I'm big on the Asus Transformer Prime (due out in less than a month) but this Lenovo tablet looks interesting as well...

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Tegra-3-...ews-13190.html

(also due out in December)

carlos3652 11-16-2011 10:37 PM

Ok - Guys... Get ready for this... GREAT DEAL.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...7003c7e2c22a1e

$59.99 Shipped to your home. Merry Effing Christmas... Deal runs through 11/17/11

WoodDraw 11-17-2011 10:47 PM

I'm going to buy the next tablet I like, as long as it's ICS or guaranteed upgrade. Probably the Transformer Prime, as long as I like it in my hand. Or the Xoom 2 maybe. I'm sick of waiting, and I'm really happy with ICS, while I never was with honeycomb.

I'm also going to upgrade to the Galaxy Nexus if Tmobile gets it. I've been wanting to upgrade for awhile, but haven't found something I like. The GSII for tmobile is another bastard phone from Samsung, destined for poor support and an early death.

But the reviews for the Galaxy Nexus are beautiful. Apparently it's a great phone...

DaFace 11-18-2011 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodDraw (Post 8119899)
I'm going to buy the next tablet I like, as long as it's ICS or guaranteed upgrade. Probably the Transformer Prime, as long as I like it in my hand. Or the Xoom 2 maybe. I'm sick of waiting, and I'm really happy with ICS, while I never was with honeycomb.

I'm also going to upgrade to the Galaxy Nexus if Tmobile gets it. I've been wanting to upgrade for awhile, but haven't found something I like. The GSII for tmobile is another bastard phone from Samsung, destined for poor support and an early death.

But the reviews for the Galaxy Nexus are beautiful. Apparently it's a great phone...

I'm thinking I'm going to finally take the plunge with the Prime. Like you, I've been waiting for a long time now, and I think things are getting refined enough that it's finally worth it.

DaFace 11-22-2011 02:24 PM

FWIW, ASUS Transformer Prime is up for preorder.

http://www.amazon.com/Transformer-TF...1993409&sr=1-1

WoodDraw 11-22-2011 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 8133230)
FWIW, ASUS Transformer Prime is up for preorder.

http://www.amazon.com/Transformer-TF...1993409&sr=1-1

Also confirmed as probably the first ICS tablet, with official video already going around.

Still wish they were a bit more innovative in design, and the price would be a bit cheaper. But damn I'm tempted... I suspect I'll buy...

DJ's left nut 11-22-2011 11:21 PM

I don't care about this thread.

Posted from my new Toshiba Thrive.

Pretty badass.

AustinChief 11-23-2011 05:30 PM

Holy crap.. Best Buy is selling the original Transformer for $249 on Black Friday

Damn good deal.

DaFace 11-23-2011 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 8136826)
Holy crap.. Best Buy is selling the original Transformer for $249 on Black Friday

Damn good deal.

Good deal? Yes. Gonna get me to step foot inside a Best Buy on Black Friday? Not a chance in hell.

DaFace 11-23-2011 09:42 PM

After digging into it, I've officially decided I'm taking the plunge for the Prime. As soon as it's out, it's mine. I can hardly contain my excitement.

Mr. Plow 11-23-2011 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 8137023)
Good deal? Yes. Gonna get me to step foot inside a Best Buy on Black Friday? Not a chance in hell.

Went over to one of the Wichita malls today to get my 2 youngest boys glasses. Guy rings us up, says "Ok, these will be ready Friday by 3pm." I looked at him and said "I'll see you next week, thanks."

AustinChief 11-23-2011 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 8137676)
After digging into it, I've officially decided I'm taking the plunge for the Prime. As soon as it's out, it's mine. I can hardly contain my excitement.

Make sure you check out the Lenovo one as well... I doubt it will beat the Asus but it's supposed to be same specs.

DaFace 11-23-2011 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 8137798)
Make sure you check out the Lenovo one as well... I doubt it will beat the Asus but it's supposed to be same specs.

Eh, I'm a little bit of an ASUS fanboi. Plus, I love the keyboard option.

Things could change in the next few weeks before it comes out, but for now, I'm committed.

Bewbies 11-25-2011 12:23 AM

I saw a commercial for the Xoom for $199 at Verizon I think...probably a black Friday deal.

BigMeatballDave 11-25-2011 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bewbies (Post 8139979)
I saw a commercial for the Xoom for $199 at Verizon I think...probably a black Friday deal.

I saw that, too. Not sure if it's black Friday exclusive, but I'm sure it requires a 2-yr contact.

Still a good deal though.

DaFace 11-25-2011 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 8140015)
I saw that, too. Not sure if it's black Friday exclusive, but I'm sure it requires a 2-yr contact.

Still a good deal though.

Definitely requires a contract. Deal is mediocre at best for me.

'Hamas' Jenkins 11-25-2011 09:41 AM

Newegg had the Toshiba Thrive 10" for $199. I had it in my cart at 12:02, clicked on checkout, and got timed out b/c they had already sold out.

:(

Consistent1 11-25-2011 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 8140197)
Newegg had the Toshiba Thrive 10" for $199. I had it in my cart at 12:02, clicked on checkout, and got timed out b/c they had already sold out.

:(

That sucks. I got in on that $159 Dell Streak 7 from Best Buy. Should be a decent little toy for cheap. That Toshiba deal would have been nice though.

Vegas_Dave 11-25-2011 06:49 PM

I originally had one if the nook color devices that I had installed the cyanogen mod 7 on and loved it. Recently though, I upgraded to the Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 and couldn't be happier. Great device. I personally have not been a fan of the whole 10.1" form factor especially for reading in portrait mode. The 8.9" screen is a great alternative. It still gives all of the tablet size usefulness but is a little easier to hold one handed and easier to use in portrait mode when reading.

Don't know if it will go much on a sale but I can say that it is really one worth considering.

Oregon chief 11-26-2011 09:39 PM

prices are getting low on these because there is a second generation of devices coming. Look for tablets with the tegra three processors in them. The first will be the Asus transformer prime due out in mid December.

NewChief 11-26-2011 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oregon chief (Post 8143588)
prices are getting low on these because there is a second generation of devices coming. Look for tablets with the tegra three processors in them. The first will be the Asus transformer prime due out in mid December.

I'm waiting. I considered buying my sons (4 & 7) tablets for Christmas this year, but I think I'll wait one more year. I don't want an iPad for them, but I do want something that is dependable, functional, durable, and will give them a few years of functionality as an entertainment/educational device.

Mojo Rising 11-30-2011 01:15 PM

I saw the Vizio 8" tablet at Costco for $189. You would probably need to spend another $20-30 for an memory card. I wanted to buy a tablet at Best Buy because I have a gift card there and I don't know how long they'll be around.

The reviews aren't bad for the tablet when it was $350. The $189 price plus the Costco warranty might be too tempting for me to resist. Anyone have any experience with these?

WoodDraw 11-30-2011 01:21 PM

I placed a preorder for the Transformer Prime. I really want something before the new year, and nothing else is out there.

I'm someone that should never buy electronics, because I obsess too much about waiting for the next thing. But I'm happy with ICS, and I think the TP offers enough where I'll be happy with it and not wanting something else in 6 months.

DaFace 11-30-2011 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodDraw (Post 8156233)
I placed a preorder for the Transformer Prime. I really want something before the new year, and nothing else is out there.

I'm someone that should never buy electronics, because I obsess too much about waiting for the next thing. But I'm happy with ICS, and I think the TP offers enough where I'll be happy with it and not wanting something else in 6 months.

Nice. Looks like they've officially confirmed it for a December 8th release date. I'm damn tempted to go ahead and place my pre-order...

WoodDraw 11-30-2011 02:20 PM

I think reviews are embargoed until tomorrow, so there should be some further temptation for you then, assuming it lives up to expectations. ;)

DaFace 11-30-2011 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodDraw (Post 8156463)
I think reviews are embargoed until tomorrow, so there should be some further temptation for you then, assuming it lives up to expectations. ;)

Where'd you pre-order yours? I was going to go ahead and take the plunge, but now Newegg and Amazon are both "out of stock." I could preorder from Best Buy, but then I'd have to pay sales tax.

:sulk:

WoodDraw 11-30-2011 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 8156486)
Where'd you pre-order yours? I was going to go ahead and take the plunge, but now Newegg and Amazon are both "out of stock." I could preorder from Best Buy, but then I'd have to pay sales tax.

:sulk:

I guess I got lucky and got in on Amazon before they took down the preorders. I'll have to watch it and make sure I don't get canceled. I don't mind when I get it though, as long as it's before new years.

There are a couple places that are still selling though. Check out XDA for some info:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1367824

DaFace 11-30-2011 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodDraw (Post 8156667)
I guess I got lucky and got in on Amazon before they took down the preorders. I'll have to watch it and make sure I don't get canceled. I don't mind when I get it though, as long as it's before new years.

There are a couple places that are still selling though. Check out XDA for some info:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1367824

Hmm...well, I may just hold off for a while. Rumor has it they may officially announce the release date tomorrow, so I'll wait and see for now at least. Good to know there are options, though. :thumb:

WoodDraw 12-01-2011 06:30 PM

A lot of reviews out for the Transformer Prime, so check your favorite gadget site. The general consensus seems to be:

Pros: Hardware
Cons: Honeycomb still buggy, poor tablet app support.

Fairly predictable. I'm not a big app guy. I'd mainly use GMail, the social apps, and obviously the web browser experience is important. I wish we could get some ICS handson videos.

DaFace 12-01-2011 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodDraw (Post 8159692)
A lot of reviews out for the Transformer Prime, so check your favorite gadget site. The general consensus seems to be:

Pros: Hardware
Cons: Honeycomb still buggy, poor tablet app support.

Fairly predictable. I'm not a big app guy. I'd mainly use GMail, the social apps, and obviously the web browser experience is important. I wish we could get some ICS handson videos.

No surprises there. Honeycomb's honeycomb no matter what it's running on. Hopefully ICS will fix some of that.

Consistent1 12-01-2011 08:16 PM

I got my $159 Dell Streak from the Best Buy online sale. Haven't gotten to play with it yet, but have got it charged up. Very nicely put together, quality look. I know, I know...bunch of tech snobs on CP, but for that price I'm sure I'll have fun with it. Will post later to see how it runs for me.

DaFace 12-01-2011 08:54 PM

FWIW, Prime release date is December 19th. Who knows where the other dates came from.

Quote:

ASUS announced today that the WiFi-only models will be available through online sellers the week of December 19th, and in retail the week after.

WoodDraw 12-01-2011 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 8159988)
FWIW, Prime release date is December 19th. Who knows where the other dates came from.

I'm a bit worried about backorder... Hope I get mine.

DaFace 12-12-2011 09:47 AM

In case anyone's looking for a cheapo Android tablet still, Woot's got the Vizio VTAB1008 today for $160 refurbished (normally $300 new).

Mojo Rising 12-12-2011 03:20 PM

The V tab has been $189, new, at Costco for about a month.

Ming the Merciless 12-12-2011 03:42 PM

That looks pretty cool...damn...I think I am a hoarder

Buck 12-20-2011 02:09 AM

I was at Best Buy tonight picking up a game pad for my PC when I was standing in line and they had the Samsung Galaxy 10.1 Tab sitting right there. Of course I played with it and fell in love with the ****ing thing.

I was reading some stuff in here.

Is that ASUS Transformer Prime better or what?

AustinChief 12-20-2011 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 8222061)
I was at Best Buy tonight picking up a game pad for my PC when I was standing in line and they had the Samsung Galaxy 10.1 Tab sitting right there. Of course I played with it and fell in love with the ****ing thing.

I was reading some stuff in here.

Is that ASUS Transformer Prime better or what?

The Transformer Prime will blow the DOORS off the Galaxy or iPad or any current shipping tablet... it will have a much better OS with ICS and a huge leap in performance with the Tegra 3. Other tablets will catch up of course... but I definitely wouldn't buy a tablet until the next gen (starting with the Prime)