ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports **2012 Sporting Kansas City\Soccer Thread** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=252792)

Fansy the Famous Bard 11-29-2011 08:06 AM

I sat next to James on the bus trip to Chicago this year, good dude. I love it how he switches back and forth from a midwestern drawl to his english accent constantly lol.. it's like he forgets he's english and has to recharge.

Dragonocho 11-29-2011 08:10 AM

So what is the trade to be announced? IMHO we are trading a forward for defense depth.

evenfall 11-29-2011 08:11 AM

I received a Sporting KC "fathead" in the mail, I think from buying FIFA. It's the team's logo, about a foot wide by a foot tall. Anybody want it? Message me your address and I'll send it to you.

EDIT - spoken for now - thanks.

Dragonocho 11-29-2011 12:55 PM

So we traded for midfielder Paula Nagamura from Brazil/Chivas USA for a supplemental pick according to Twitter sources.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/paulo-nagamura

RockChalk 11-29-2011 12:56 PM

Traded for Chivas USA MF Paulo Nagamura

http://www.sportingkc.com/news/2011/...paulo-nagamura

Unfamiliar with him...good trade?

|Zach| 11-29-2011 01:13 PM

Attacking midfielder but versatile...he will be playing here for less money than he did in Chivas. People are liking the move. Charles over at the KC Star described it best describing our midfield in distinct roles. Espinoza (bulldog) Zusi (playmaker) Cesar (anchor) Paulo (2 way)

|Zach| 11-29-2011 03:52 PM

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...e-opener-dates

Our home opener will be on St. Patricks day.

On Tuesday, MLS announced the dates for the 2012 home openers, including the dates for the Montreal Impact's home debut and the inaugural match at the Houston Dynamo's new stadium.

WEEK 1 (First Kick presented by Dick's Sporting Goods)

Saturday, March 10: Colorado Rapids, D.C. United, LA Galaxy, San Jose Earthquakes, Seattle Sounders FC, Vancouver Whitecaps FC
Sunday, March 11: Chivas USA, FC Dallas
Monday, March 12: Portland Timbers

WEEK 2

Saturday, March 17: Sporting Kansas City, Montreal Impact, Real Salt Lake
Sunday, March 18: Philadelphia Union

WEEK 3

Saturday, March 24: Chicago Fire, Columbus Crew, New England Revolution, Toronto FC
Sunday, March 25: New York Red Bulls

WEEK 10

Saturday, May 12: Houston Dynamo (new stadium opener)

The matchups and the full schedule are expected to be released before the end of the year.

|Zach| 11-29-2011 06:08 PM

Zambrano to manage Deportivo Pereira in 2012

http://www.sportingkc.com/news/2011/...o-pereira-2012

Zambrano served two seasons in Kansas City as assistant

Sporting Kansas City announced Tuesday that assistant coach Octavio Zambrano will not return to the team for the 2012 season. Zambrano has accepted a head coaching position with Colombian second division side Deportivo Pereira.

Zambrano, 53, was a member of Sporting Kansas City's technical staff for both the 2010 and the 2011 seasons after joining the staff from Hungarian club FC Tatabánya in December of 2009. One of the winningest head coaches in MLS history following stints with the LA Galaxy and the New York/New Jersey MetroStars, Zambrano served two seasons under Peter Vermes before accepting his new position with Deportivo Pereira.

In addition to serving his role as an experienced assistant, Zambrano was also heavily involved in the creation and operation of the Midwest United Sport Association (MUSA), an organization that joins together six prominent Hispanic soccer leagues in the Kansas City area under one umbrella to promote healthy living and positive values.

Sporting Kansas City wishes Zambrano well in his future endeavors, and thanks him for his service to the club.

|Zach| 11-29-2011 11:37 PM

Kind of interesting the first game of the MLS season will be in Portland on a Monday night.

Those folks are going to go mother ****ing bat shit crazy over there. Should be a fun opener.

|Zach| 11-30-2011 01:48 PM

So the options on two of our players were not picked up. Shavar Thomas and Luke Sassano are available for the reentry draft. So basically other teams get a shot at them and if nobody picks them up we still negotiate to have them. Thomas is done in KC but I think Luke has a chance to stick around. Hoping he does...good guy good player.

|Zach| 12-01-2011 07:48 PM

Robb indicating another trade is going down tomorrow. He said we won't lose a player though so look for some allocation cash to be spent on someone.

CHENZ A! 12-01-2011 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 8159839)
Robb indicating another trade is going down tomorrow. He said we won't lose a player though so look for some allocation cash to be spent on someone.

For real? Any speculation so far as to who or what position?

CHENZ A! 12-01-2011 11:25 PM

Another thing i'm hyped for is that SKC said they are going to start selling GOALIE jerseys. My WHITE PUMA 1 is going to be sick.

Fansy the Famous Bard 12-02-2011 11:23 AM

Ives reporting that SKC just traded an international slot to San Jose for Bobby Convey. Convey was an MLS all-star defender this past season.

Wow.

CHENZ A! 12-02-2011 12:29 PM

Whoa. I just love the fact that they aren't content to just stand pat with our roster due to the success we had last year. They realize there is room for improvement and are actively trying to get better. So unlike anything the Chiefs or Royals would do.

SPATCH 12-02-2011 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 8161220)
Ives reporting that SKC just traded an international slot to San Jose for Bobby Convey. Convey was an MLS all-star defender this past season.

Wow.

co-sign

|Zach| 12-02-2011 02:25 PM

Been at a shoot today so I have only read a bit but that is bold as hell.

|Zach| 12-02-2011 03:00 PM

Sporting Kansas City announced Friday that midfielder Bobby Convey has been acquired from the San Jose Earthquakes in exchange for an international roster slot for 2012.
Convey, a United States international and a veteran of the 2006 FIFA World Cup, joins Sporting Kansas City after three seasons in San Jose where he was named as an MLS All-Star in both 2010 and 2011. To date, Convey has scored 11 goals and added 30 assists in 164 appearances in Major League Soccer.
“Bobby Convey has been a difference-maker in this League for many years, with experience at the highest levels of soccer,” Sporting Kansas City Manager Peter Vermes said. “His competiveness and attacking qualities stand out and we feel that he can thrive within the culture created at Sporting Kansas City. We are very excited to welcome Bobby to our club.”

Convey, 28, grew up in the Philadelphia area before becoming the youngest player ever to sign with Major League Soccer prior to the 2000 season, joining D.C. United at the age of 16. Convey went on to make 72 appearances for United before he turned 21, carving out a starting midfield role at the club level and earning his first cap for the U.S. Men's National Team at just 18 years old.

“I am very excited to link up with my new club and teammates,” Convey said on Friday. “The fans in Kansas City are extremely supportive of the team and create a great atmosphere in the new stadium. The team proved last year they are a good team that can win a bunch of games and I hope I can add to that success.”

Due to his standout performances in MLS and for the National Team, Convey drew interest from clubs overseas and eventually secured a move to Reading F.C. of the Football League Championship in England. In 2005, Convey enjoyed a breakout season for Reading, helping lead the club to the Championship title and promotion to the English Premier League the following season.

A skillful and dynamic left-footed player, Convey is comfortable playing any position on the left flank and even enjoyed a spell playing in the center of midfield for the San Jose Earthquakes when he returned to MLS in 2009.

It was with San Jose that Convey ultimately excelled as a defender, drawing rave reviews for his enterprising performances at left back in San Jose's unlikely run to the Conference Championship match during the 2010 MLS Cup playoffs that featured a two-goal outing against the New York Red Bulls in the Conference Semifinals. Convey's stellar 2010 season saw him tied for the league-lead in game-winning assists, as he was crowned MLS Comeback Player of the Year.

Decorated at the international level, Convey - along with the likes of Landon Donovan, DaMarcus Beasley and Oguchi Onyewu - was part of the U.S. team that advanced to the semifinals of the 1999 FIFA Under-17 World Championship in New Zealand. A year later, Convey earned his first full international cap for the United States, coming on as a substitute against Mexico. In 2003, Convey not only captained the U.S. Under-20 team at the FIFA World Youth Cup in the United Arab Emirates, but he was also selected as part of the full U.S. squad that participated in the Confederations Cup in France.

In 2006, Convey was included in Bruce Arena’s 23-man squad that travelled to Germany for the 2006 FIFA World Cup. Convey featured in all three group matches for the United States, earning starts against the Czech Republic and Italy, serving in the free kick that led to the equalizing goal for the U.S. against the eventual World Cup champions. To date, Convey has 46 caps for the United States.

Transaction: Sporting Kansas City (MLS) acquires MF Bobby Convey from San Jose Earthquakes for international roster slot

VITALS
Bobby Convey (CON-vee)
Midfielder
Height: 5-9
Weight: 150
Born: 03/02/1983
Hometown: Philadelphia, PA
Birthplace: Philadelphia, PA
Last Club: San Jose Earthquakes (MLS)

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Rz0zO-BGB-4?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

|Zach| 12-04-2011 10:37 PM

Quite a showing from our young pups.

The U-17 USA team just beat Brazil 3-1 to win the Nike International Tournament.

3-1 over brazil, 2-1 over Turkey, 2-2 Tied with France.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MPxTHpS7wyE?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ultra Peanut 12-05-2011 12:18 AM

I've always liked Bobbinho, and it's kind of sad to see him move on from the Quakes, but at the same time ehhhhhhhhhn. After the past offseason my expectations for the next few years plummeted, and nothing that's happened since has really inspired any hope (aside from the decent start to the season, followed by like 13 games without a win). The team needs so many changes, and Convey was unhappy, so whatever. I hope he does well as a Spork.

Also, I suddenly got the urge to watch supporters group videos to drive home how far MLS has come since I started following the league in earnest in 2004 (just in time to miss the Quakes' last MLS Cup win ever, lol), and I found this, so I had to share it with people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKTgbUaqAX8

I ****ing love American soccer.

|Zach| 12-05-2011 01:31 AM

Great video. Thought I had seen most the stuff like that. Good find.

Fansy the Famous Bard 12-05-2011 07:12 AM

That's a freaking expansion team. What a great atmosphere they've developed in such a short time.

Ultra Peanut 12-05-2011 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 8171385)
That's a freaking expansion team. What a great atmosphere they've developed in such a short time.

Actually, Portland easily had one of of the best fan bases in the country well before they got an MLS club. Here they are in the 2007 USL-1 playoffs against Vancouver:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGAIJxd2Eq8

And I can't not include their tifo from this USOC match against Seattle a couple of years ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AucOzX9qqRA

Fansy the Famous Bard 12-05-2011 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultra Peanut (Post 8172027)
Actually, Portland easily had one of of the best fan bases in the country well before they got an MLS club. Here they are in the 2007 USL-1 playoffs against Vancouver:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGAIJxd2Eq8

cheaters!

Ultra Peanut 12-05-2011 12:34 PM

Yeah, it's rage-inducing how entrenched their supporter culture is.

So impressed by SKC, by the by. I hope San Jose can do half as well upon moving into their (probably not even half as nice) stadium next year. The relocation of one of the best teams in the league to Houston and then playing games at Buck Shaw after the rebirth have sucked a lot of the life out of the Quakes, honestly.

And it will never cease to incense me that AEG moved the Supporters Shield winners (and MLS Cup winners the next two seasons) to Houston because they could get a new stadium more easily in Houston, and now both San Jose and Houston are planning to open their new stadiums in 2012.

|Zach| 12-05-2011 10:05 PM

Kansas City to host 2012 MLS SuperDraft January 12
ESPN2 to broadcast first round, starting at Noon ET (11 a.m. CT)
NEW YORK (October 21, 2011) – Major League Soccer today announced details for the 2012 MLS SuperDraft presented by adidas.

For the eighth consecutive year, the MLS SuperDraft will be held in conjunction with the National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA) Convention, and take place on Thursday, January 12, at the Kansas City Convention Center, in Kansas City, Mo. The first round of the SuperDraft will be broadcast live on ESPN2 beginning at 11:00 AM CT/12:00 noon ET.

This year, the MLS SuperDraft will include two rounds and 38 overall selections, with the Montreal Impact selecting first overall. The next eight selections are currently held by clubs that did not qualify for the 2011 MLS Cup Playoffs, in reverse order of regular season finish. The remaining 10 positions currently belong to clubs that were eliminated in the same round of the 2011 MLS Cup Playoffs, in reverse order of regular season finish.

A four-round Supplemental Draft will take place via conference call on Tuesday, January 17, 2012.

The 2012 adidas MLS Player Combine will again be held in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., prior to the SuperDraft.
Matches will not be open to the public, so media seeking additional details on the location and time, as well as credentials, should contact Lauren.Brophy@MLSsoccer.com.

Coaches and technical staffs from all 19 MLS clubs, including 2012 expansion side Montreal Impact, will be in attendance to scout the top talent at the 17th annual player combine. The list of participating players, as determined by a select panel of college coaches in conjunction with MLS coaches and technical staffs, will be announced in December.

Thursday, January 12
12:00 PM ET (ESPN2) 2012 MLS SuperDraft presented by adidas – Kansas City Convention Center
(11:00 AM CT)

Please contact MLS Communications at (212) 450-1227 for additional information about these events.

Silock 12-05-2011 10:23 PM

Been really busy, but wanted to comment on the U-17 friendlies. Our youngins looked REALLY good. They like passing. They were beating people with ball movement and not just speed and 1v1 moves. THAT is what I like to see. They knew how to link up play.

The future looks bright.

Although I can't say I was particularly impressed with the 2nd half vs. Brazil. Brazil missed a TON of chances and played really well for the first 30 minutes of the second half. Then they got frustrated that they were losing and started losing their cool.

Fansy the Famous Bard 12-06-2011 08:18 AM

Don't look now.

BRAVO SAGA TAKES TWIST: ESPN Deportes' Jorge Ramos is reporting that Sporting Kansas City designated player Omar Bravo will not play any more for the club due to "problems with the head coach." Ramos suggests teams in Mexico, including Club America, are interested.

It looks like it was pulled off the ESPN Deportes twitter since then, though. Not sure if it was incorrect info or posted before it was supposed to have been.

Bravo wasn't the stud we had hoped he'd be coming in, but he's still a very, very good player. And was an integral part of this team. Without him, we don't turn that season around the way we did.

Silock 12-06-2011 10:20 AM

Meh. If he goes, we can easily get someone else that offers what he does.

Ultra Peanut 12-06-2011 12:24 PM

The obvious solution there is to sign Anelka* to replace him~

*for 50,000,000,000 Comicbux

|Zach| 12-06-2011 03:38 PM

The U-23 USMNT will face Canada, El Salvador and Cuba in Group A of CONCACAF Olympic Qualifying. Semifinals and final at LSP.

Demonpenz 12-06-2011 05:30 PM

I thought this bump was going to because the MLS annouced their new color scheme on their ball

|Zach| 12-06-2011 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 8174766)
Meh. If he goes, we can easily get someone else that offers what he does.

Yea, love to have him back but we are gonna score goals. Oh wellz.

|Zach| 12-11-2011 03:35 PM

97 days until the the first match of next season at LSP.

|Zach| 12-11-2011 03:37 PM

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...95496799_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...03782303_n.jpg

Demonpenz 12-12-2011 01:37 PM

C.J. Supong, Zuzi, and Besler invited to USMNT camp?

|Zach| 12-12-2011 04:31 PM

This has not been officially confirmed but all signs are pointing to Omar Bravo not coming back this year. He is getting interest from some different Mexican teams.

This would prob make Bobby Convey our starting left wing.

Fansy the Famous Bard 12-12-2011 04:35 PM

I saw that tweet by Terez Paylor of the Star, in that tweet it was also implied that Terez was making the last tweet for the Star? Any insight into that?

|Zach| 12-12-2011 04:35 PM

And literally a min. later they announce it. Ha.

He is going to Cruz Azul.

http://www.sportingkc.com/news/2011/...cruz-azul-move

Sporting Kansas City announced today that the club has agreed to terms that allow Omar Bravo to return to his native Mexico to join Cruz Azul for the upcoming 2012 season. The 31-year-old returns to the Primera División, where he previously played professionally for 10 seasons. Per club and League policy, terms of the transaction will not be disclosed.

“We want to thank Omar (Bravo) for his time with Sporting Kansas City on and off the field,” Manager Peter Vermes said. “His competitive nature and savviness played a big part in our first season at LIVESTRONG Sporting Park. We wish him nothing but success in his new ventures.”

The move will make available an international roster spot and Designated Player spot on the Sporting Kansas City roster.

“I want to thank Peter (Vermes), the Sporting Kansas City ownership, and MLS for a great opportunity and experience during the memorable 2011 season,” Bravo said. “For personal reasons, I am returning to the Primera División but I do not want to rule out a return to Sporting KC and MLS.

“The quality of play in MLS is high and rapidly rising so I feel well prepared for my new challenge. I look forward to following Sporting KC’s continued success and to continuing my promotion of LIVESTRONG and MLS.”

Bravo signed with Sporting Kansas City in August 2010 as a Designated Player, the second of three acquired by Sporting KC in club history, and was subsequently loaned back to Club Deportivo Guadalajara where he ranks as the club’s second all-time leading scorer and stayed for the remainder of the Apertura season. Upon arriving in Major League Soccer in 2011, the former Mexican National Team member scored twice on his debut at Chivas USA, but was forced to miss six weeks of action in April and May after undergoing sports hernia surgery.

In 27 regular season appearances, Bravo recorded nine goals and two assists and was named a 2011 MLS All-Star by MLS Commissioner Don Garber. Sporting Kansas City finished in first place in the Eastern Conference in 2011, but Bravo missed both legs of the Eastern Conference Semifinals and was limited to five minutes in the Eastern Conference Championship due to a groin injury.

Bravo, now with his fifth team in the past three years, will continue his participation as a LIVESTRONG Global Envoy to help the foundation spread its message of awareness and survivorship to the Hispanic/Latino community in the U.S. and Mexico, a cause he first committed to in June 2011.

|Zach| 12-12-2011 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 8196494)
I saw that tweet by Terez Paylor of the Star, in that tweet it was also implied that Terez was making the last tweet for the Star? Any insight into that?

You mean the "last one for my soccer fans" part?

Fansy the Famous Bard 12-12-2011 04:39 PM

Ya that one. I guess he's taking over for DeArmond?

Demonpenz 12-12-2011 04:40 PM

Is there anyway we can get a JagerBomb Banner for Harrington?

|Zach| 12-12-2011 04:42 PM

So both of our designated player spots are open as well as another international roster spot. Bravo made a good deal of money. Robb has some ability to keep wheeling and dealing here should be interesting.

|Zach| 12-12-2011 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 8196509)
Ya that one. I guess he's taking over for DeArmond?

Nah, I think what he meant was those specific tweets were about soccer and they were different from his other tweets. He also covers other sports and I think he was just telling his followers about the change in focus.

|Zach| 12-12-2011 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz (Post 8196515)
Is there anyway we can get a JagerBomb Banner for Harrington?

LMAO

I am surprised he is still around right now.

Fansy the Famous Bard 12-12-2011 04:46 PM

Any interest in a CP party at the draft next month? :D

|Zach| 12-12-2011 04:48 PM

Here is the thing Robb is crazy.

In a good way.

Robb is full on can't sleep at night because they didn't lift the cup crazy.

This whole thing according to peeps on the inside could be setting up for a *huge* DP signing.

|Zach| 12-12-2011 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 8196555)
Any interest in a CP party at the draft next month? :D

I will be there with Cauldron folks. Come by.

SPATCH 12-12-2011 04:50 PM

Oh thank god this thread was bumped. Almost forgot that I support a team that has its shit together.

memyselfI 12-12-2011 04:51 PM

I've really liked the moves SKC has done on their off season. Not content with finishing in the top four. They want more!

|Zach| 12-12-2011 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_spatula (Post 8196584)
Oh thank god this thread was bumped. Almost forgot that I support a team that has its shit together.

LMAO

|Zach| 12-12-2011 04:55 PM

I don't think the playoff thing was as huge of deal as people made it out to be. With the news of the team he is going to it sounds like they made an offer he can't refuse. Cruz Azul is the real deal.

I wish the guy well.

|Zach| 12-14-2011 03:53 AM

One of the Sporting owners spotted in the supporter's section. Haha.

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...01410887_n.jpg

memyselfI 12-14-2011 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 8202203)
One of the Sporting owners spotted in the supporter's section. Haha.

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...01410887_n.jpg

This is why SKC is such a huge success. The owners have made it a point to be not only own and provide the city a franchise but to make it known they are one of us as fans and citizens of the city. They are so accessible. You can find them on Twitter or as a FB friend. They are in the stands amongst the little people. It's all about the fans.

There is no 'let them eat cake' with these folks. The Hunts could learn MANY things from them. The Glasses never will so not even going to hope.

Fansy the Famous Bard 12-14-2011 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by memyselfI (Post 8202341)
It's all about the fans.

It's easy for them to bring that approach when they are as big 'o fans if not bigger themselves.

memyselfI 12-14-2011 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 8202355)
It's easy for them to bring that approach when they are as big 'o fans if not bigger themselves.

They run the team and the organization like we, the fans, would if millions of dollars landed in our laps and we could own a sports franchise. I love them.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jAZ-kj5y8qc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAZ-k...layer_embedded

Ultra Peanut 12-14-2011 10:29 AM

I feel so bad for Revs fans. ****ing Bob Kraft.

|Zach| 12-14-2011 02:26 PM

Love how the Christmas deal turned out.

Trevo_410 12-14-2011 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 8203563)

are you the dude with the beard in the video?

memyselfI 12-14-2011 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevo_410 (Post 8203581)

Soccer Jesus?

|Zach| 12-14-2011 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevo_410 (Post 8203581)

Ha, yea. I play the role of "guy who gets cupcake stolen".

I will be going on Inside The Actors Studio for my portrayal of this character.

|Zach| 12-14-2011 03:17 PM

Article on ESPN about Teal and his sister Kylie who is an actress making her way into a few movies.

http://espn.go.com/espn/page2/index?id=6587278

Demonpenz 12-14-2011 03:37 PM

I just got off the Phone from my ticket agent or whatever that works for sporting kc. It was a fun conversation and I know they were just putting in my information so they can sell more shit, but the guy seemed interested and stuck to whatever script they have. We talked how I got into soccer and I was like. The chiefs and Royals suck dicks.

|Zach| 12-16-2011 06:09 PM

MLSSoccer put together a cool thing that showed every goal from last year. There are some views that I haven't really seen of some of the shots. There is also the lost footage of Collin acting like he drinking that Portland fan's beer after his goal around the 4 min mark.

<object width="620" height="349" id="cf7b463oi" name="cf7b463on" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"><param name="movie" value="http://p.mlssoccer.com/SAu5a/video/821173/league_2011-12-16-130513.640hq.mp4"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed width="620" height="349" src="http://p.mlssoccer.com/SAu5a/video/821173/league_2011-12-16-130513.640hq.mp4" id="cf7b463ei" name="cf7b463en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" /></object>

Dragonocho 12-16-2011 06:32 PM

Renewed for 2012 but switched to section 105 to get out of the sunlight. Chiefs season ticket renewal found its way to the trashcan.

|Zach| 12-17-2011 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragonocho (Post 8209452)
Renewed for 2012 but switched to section 105 to get out of the sunlight. Chiefs season ticket renewal found its way to the trashcan.

Shield Club? Nice.

JoeyChuckles 12-18-2011 11:33 AM

I wish Phoenix had a team so I could see SKC live. Though I may be in Chicago in a few months, so it may all work out.

Spicy McHaggis 12-18-2011 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 8203563)

I thought the Chicago scarf bit was a nice touch.

|Zach| 12-18-2011 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Wiz (Post 8212738)
I wish Phoenix had a team so I could see SKC live. Though I may be in Chicago in a few months, so it may all work out.

Shouldn't be too long until the schedule comes out.

Also, I believe they do a lot of training in Arizona but not sure exactly whereabouts. Not same as a game obviously.

|Zach| 12-18-2011 02:06 PM

Less than 90 days boys and girls.

http://image.yogile.com/ur3na84p/pwy...otde-large.jpg

|Zach| 12-20-2011 05:15 AM

MLS Sporting K.C. has sold out of its premium seating inventory for the first time in club history, a rep said. The club last week sold the remaining two of its 35 luxury suites which carry three-, five- and 10-year agreements and are priced between $52,500-85,000 per year.

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/...orting-KC.aspx

|Zach| 12-20-2011 07:33 AM

How do you top that? That’s the question facing Sporting Kansas City this offseason after a 2011 season marked by the reinvention of the club’s fortunes on and off the field.

Despite starting the year with a brutal, 10-game road trip that saw the club slump to the bottom of the league table with a 1-6-3 record, Sporting staged an incredible turnaround after moving into their sparkling new home, Livestrong Sporting Park. Over the course of a summer defined by packed houses and wild finishes, Kansas City roared back up the table, eventually finishing atop the Eastern Conference with 51 points (13-9-12).

Though they eventually lost 2-0 to the Houston Dynamo in the Eastern Conference Championship, SKC enjoyed what will go down as a wildly successful season from both a competitive and organizational standpoint in their first full year following rebranding.

MLSsoccer.com spoke to manager Peter Vermes about Sporting’s accomplishments in 2011 and what lies ahead.

MLSsoccer.com: After having a chance to reflect on the season, how would you evaluate the job you did this year?

Vermes: In the vision of the rebranding and what we wanted to achieve on the field going into the opening of the new stadium, we definitely exceeded expectations. I believe we provided a good product on the field, which in turn was very well supported by our fan base. We captured a lot of new people. Our fan base has turned more into a cult following, which is fantastic.

We definitely got closer on the field to the style of play that we would like to exhibit week in and week out. Also, as the season went on, the performances became extremely consistent. That was another huge goal of ours. Those things ended up being very exciting.

MLSsoccer.com: What will it take to get to that preferred style of play week in and week out?

Vermes: I still think we have to give up fewer goals. I also think we have to be able to finish better because we do create quite a few opportunities. We’ve got to be more efficient. That’s going to be a strong push for us in the preseason to make sure we get better in those areas.

As far as signings go, I can’t tell you that we need to get guys at this position or that position. We need to improve our roster from the bottom up to continue to push the guys that are on the top end. We need to really push those guys so the environment stays competitive.

MLSsoccer.com: A theme throughout the season was the emergence of young guys like Matt Besler, Chance Myers and Graham Zusi. Did any of those players’ breakouts really stick out to you?

Vermes: You probably have to say Zusi and Chance. Besler had been playing already quite a bit. Those two guys had not been. When you look at those two players, I’m happy for them and I’m happy for the organization. People don’t realize this but, obviously, we invested a lot in Chance being the No. 1 pick [in the 2008 SuperDraft]. If you go back the last couple years, we have protected Zusi in Expansion Drafts. We believed in them. I am glad those guys have blossomed like they have. Obviously, they have a long way to go as well.

MLSsoccer.com: Do you have any other candidates in the squad that might be ready to make a similar jump?

Vermes: I think Kevin Ellis [might be]. He still has a ways to go, don’t get me wrong, but I think he is a kid I could see taking some strides in 2012. He grew up a lot this year. It was the first time he’s spent a year with a professional team. He’s had to go through 10 months of full-time soccer, which he’s never done before in this intensity and environment.

He started to get some consistency in his training and also really understand his position on the field. I could see that rolling over into next year and really giving him a step up. That doesn’t mean he’s a starter, though, to be clear. He’s still a Home Grown guy who just finished his first year in a professional environment.

MLSsoccer.com: This season was just your second full year as a manager in MLS. What do you think you learned?

Vermes: I think some things just got cemented for me. I believed in a lot of the guys who are here. I think a lot of those guys proved me correct. I’ve said this before, but [this season reinforced] sticking to your guns and staying resolute in what you believe in. Also, just going with your gut. There were a lot of situations where I went with my gut, and they came to fruition. Those are places where I’ve maybe become more confident.

MLSsoccer.com: You’ve talked a lot about changing the team culture. How do you think that aspect of building the squad has turned out?

Vermes: We have a great staff, and we have a great organization. There was no doubt that the culture was the most important thing to change around the team. I think that’s really helped us grow this year. That part is something that I realize – even as much importance as I gave it – just how important it is to overall team performance and success. It’s helped me cement a bunch of things in my mind that are important. Some of them are even more important than I thought. That’s a good thing going forward.

Demonpenz 12-20-2011 09:52 AM

out of odowds the other day and the shots sh sh sh shots song came on, and I went to the corner and put up my hand and kicked a piece of trash, 2 people laughed.

|Zach| 12-21-2011 11:30 PM

"Wait so you are saying you moved to Chicago? Thank you....for nothing."

LMAO

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/M48wZsCx3wY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

|Zach| 12-22-2011 12:08 PM

Spaong + Zusi + Bunbury all get US Mens National Team Call Ups.

http://www.sportingkc.com/news/2011/...-national-team

Sporting Kansas City will send three players to the U.S. Men’s National Team training camp Jan. 3-20 in preparation for international friendlies against Venezuela on Jan. 21 and Panama on Jan. 25. Sporting Kansas City forwards Teal Bunbury and C.J. Sapong, along with midfielder Graham Zusi, were each named to the 20-player roster announced by U.S. Soccer on Thursday.

"January camps are a good introduction for players to work their way into the National Team, so it's a prime opportunity for guys like C.J. Sapong and Graham Zusi, while Teal Bunbury continues to establish himself in the player pool," said Sporting Kansas City Manager Peter Vermes.

The three players from Sporting Kansas City are tied for the most chosen from any club, following the team’s first place finish in the Eastern Conference during the 2011 Major League Soccer season.

Sapong, MLS Rookie of the Year in 2011, and Zusi, named Breakout Player of the Year by MLSSoccer.com, will be participating in their first U.S. Men’s National Team training camp and are two of only three players on the roster to receive their first selection. Further, Sapong and Bunbury are two of four forwards selected by U.S. Men’s National Team Manager Jurgen Klinsmann.

“I’m very excited and thankful for this opportunity,” said Sapong, who led all rookies with five goals and five assists last season. “I’ve worked really hard for this and look forward to working even harder to take my game to the next level.”

“I'm looking forward to representing Sporting Kansas City in my first national team camp,” said Zusi, who recorded career highs with five goals and seven assists last year. “It will be a great experience and a great way to start the 2012 season.”

Bunbury, currently in Florida with the U.S. Men’s Under-23 National Team in preparation for the CONCACAF Men’s Olympic Qualifying Tournament, will be the only field player to participate in both training camps. The 21-year-old led Sporting Kansas City with 11 goals in MLS play last season, including two in the MLS Cup Playoffs, and most recently participated in two training camps with the senior squad in the past three months.

“It’s always an honor to be given the opportunity to play for your country,” said Bunbury, who debuted for the U.S. Men’s National Team in November 2010 and scored in his second appearance in January 2011. “Credit goes to Sporting KC for having such a good season. It’s given me the chance to be able to have this opportunity. I’m ready to go into camp and work hard, learn and try to improve my game. I’m very thankful.”

The U.S. Men’s National Team will open the training camp in Phoenix for 10 days from Jan. 3-13 before traveling to Carson, Calif. to continue the camp from Jan. 13-19. The team will then play its first match of 2012 on Jan. 21 at the University of Phoenix Stadium against Venezuela. Four days later, the team will travel to Panama City to face Panama on Jan. 25 at Estadio Rommel Fernandez.

Demonpenz 12-22-2011 12:33 PM

Sapong is too strong for EUROTRASH.

|Zach| 12-27-2011 01:02 PM

January Transfer window opens up real soon so it should not be long until we hear about this new Spanish DP amongst other signings. Word is Cyrus will be coming back next for CB depth.

CHENZ A! 12-27-2011 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 8239057)
January Transfer window opens up real soon so it should not be long until we hear about this new Spanish DP amongst other signings. Word is Cyrus will be coming back next for CB depth.

I hope the new guy is not a letdown like J was. I wonder what position he'll play, and who would likely get bumped from the starting 11. Also curious about where they'll put Convey..

Demonpenz 12-27-2011 02:24 PM

I gave Jefferson the ball on Fifa 2012...and got the red ring of death.

|Zach| 12-27-2011 02:26 PM

I think Convey will be our left wing...he is great at serving the ball into the box from the left where Bravo would be one to traditionally try and move the ball inside and attack from the left hand side.