ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Alex Smith = Franchise QB? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=255067)

whoman69 01-15-2012 11:23 AM

So much of sports is timing and opportunity. Rodgers wasn't ready and Smith probably wasn't either in their first year. Smith was thrown into the fire while Rodgers sat behind Favre.

I don't believe that you need a "franchise QB" to win it all these days, but it does make it so much easier. If you don't have that franchise guy, he better be someone who doesn't make mistakes and has another part of the team that can make up the difference. Brees, Brady and Rodgers all have sub par defenses that take a lot of chances because they know if they fail, the QB will bail them out. The league is set up for offenses to move the ball down the field. Those teams look for the turnover. They believe their offense can outscore you. Its going to take a win by SF or Balt to reverse that trend.

morphius 01-15-2012 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 8297698)
The Guardian proving again how limited his NFL knowledge is.

Proving he's still a bust?

The guy played at a high level, against top competition and just out-dueled Drew Brees in a playoff game.

It's full of fail and stupidity because of you, you stupid ****er.

If Smith wins a SB, are you still going to point to the 6 years he performed badly? Or do you give the guy some credit.

You and Smed should drive together on a Saturday night.

Actually, I believe it is his complete hatred of SF showing more than anything.

Chiefaholic 01-15-2012 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Backwards Masking (Post 8295565)
Alex won a playoff game...

That playoff loss had nothing to do with Trent Green's performance on the field. A QB shouldn't HAVE to score a TD on every single drive to stand a chance. That version of Trent Green with next years offense (return of Charles and improved line) would be a legit playoff contender.

Rasputin 01-15-2012 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGuardian (Post 8297550)
Who give a ****? Sometimes the sun even shines on a dogs ass. Alex Smith is a bust and has been for what, 6 years now? This thread is full of ****ing fail and stupidity.

I think we know where the supidity and fail comes from.

Have you tried Pamprin for your menstrual cycle?

notorious 01-15-2012 11:47 AM

How can anyone hate San Fran. anymore?

They have sucked for a long time.

Ceej 01-15-2012 11:52 AM

Alex Smith could be this year's Trent Dilfer.

Dr. Gigglepants 01-15-2012 11:53 AM

No.

5 turnovers, the 9ers should have won that game by 20 points.

Alex Smith is why the game was so close, he made some good plays when he had to, but shit himself consistently in the 2nd, 3rd, and most of the 4th quarter.

However, they pretty much abandoned the run so their playcalling was predictable at best during those periods.
Posted via Mobile Device

The Bad Guy 01-15-2012 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 8297752)
Alex Smith could be this year's Trent Dilfer.

Yes, because Dilfer led the team back twice in the final minutes of a football game ever.

tk13 01-15-2012 12:02 PM

I'm kind of conflicted on this one. People act like he's some throwaway guy... he was the #1 overall pick in the draft. He has talent. That said, he does panic sometimes. I wouldn't put money on him to win a Super Bowl yet... but he made all the clutch plays yesterday. And he outdueled Drew Brees in a season where Drew Brees put up some of the best QB numbers in the entire history of football. Pretty tough.

Ceej 01-15-2012 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 8297773)
Yes, because Dilfer led the team back twice in the final minutes of a football game ever.

Not the point I'm making. Until Saturday Smith has always been a game manager in the league as was Dilfer. Both guys have (especially this year) had the opportunity to play with a great defense with a pretty solid run game.

Smith played great yesterday and has all of the tools to be a pretty good QB.

I guess time will tell.

Extra Point 01-15-2012 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 8297788)
I'm kind of conflicted on this one. People act like he's some throwaway guy... he was the #1 overall pick in the draft. He has talent. That said, he does panic sometimes. I wouldn't put money on him to win a Super Bowl yet... but he made all the clutch plays yesterday. And he outdueled Drew Brees in a season where Drew Brees put up some of the best QB numbers in the entire history of football. Pretty tough.

Can't argue with that statement. 49ers were coached up, with the building blocks of talent, to becoming a complete team. Clutch (end of game, as some define it) plays made a big diff against a team favored to play for the NFCC.

milkman 01-15-2012 12:22 PM

As I said earliier, this game was a marker.

It could well be his signature moment that gives him the confidence he needs to play to his draft potential moving forward.

He is not, at this moment in time, a franchise QB.

He has now shown the ability to make big plays in big moments, and that could well signal the start of his career as a franchise QB.

Time will tell.

Thig Lyfe 01-15-2012 01:08 PM

Let's trade for Collin Kapernick!

Mr. Laz 01-15-2012 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 8295524)
No, but it makes a person think about how much better Luck is because of Harbaugh.

yes, coaching makes a difference.

morphius 01-15-2012 01:21 PM

If you make the measuring stick that would you want him starting for your team, I can't say that I saw a lot yesterday that would make me want him. There was a lot of the game where he was just very average, or even below average.

Deberg_1990 01-15-2012 01:26 PM

niners were a rudderless, directionless, horrible franchise a year ago with a bust QB. Harbaugh has done an amazing job. The right HC is everything in the NFL.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hammock Parties 01-22-2012 09:43 PM

I'd bet any amount of money Alex Smith never returns to the NFC Championship.

Brock 01-22-2012 09:44 PM

You don't have any money, Clay.

Hammock Parties 01-22-2012 09:56 PM

I'd bet any amount of my mom's money.

Setsuna 01-22-2012 10:03 PM

Yes he is. Boom! /thread

TheGuardian 01-23-2012 08:21 AM

I was gonna bump this thread too.

This board has a history of overreacting.

Smith totally shit the bed yesterday. He's a bust. Always has been, always will be. 1 game against the Saints doesn't erase that.

Dumbasses.

OzarksChiefsFan 01-23-2012 08:29 AM

Less than 50% passing in the game yesterday. That doesn't spell franchise. Harbaugh has micro managed him.

Molitoth 01-23-2012 08:41 AM

I DO however love that Alex does his post game press conferences in a mechanics tshirt with his name on it, lol.

tredadda 01-23-2012 09:15 AM

I disagree and I think he can be a franchise QB. Yesterday was not his best game, but his receiving corps outside of Vernon Davis is horrible at best. Plus the weather did not help. The Giants consistently rushed 3 or 4 and dropped everyone else back into coverage and his receivers could not get open. This place has defended "other" QBs for lack of a receiving corps, but say Smith is a bust when he has a worse one than we had three years ago?

Molitoth 01-23-2012 09:16 AM

The Giants front 4 will make almost any QB look bad.

We will see how well Brady does.

Chiefnj2 01-23-2012 09:18 AM

Kyle Williams doesn't botch 2 punts, and he's probably in the Super Bowl. For an early 1st round pick, Crabtree is a bust.

RealSNR 01-23-2012 09:24 AM

Eventually Kaepernick will get his shot with that team, and I have no doubt that he could play better.

ToxSocks 01-23-2012 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 8320702)
Kyle Williams doesn't botch 2 punts, and he's probably in the Super Bowl. For an early 1st round pick, Crabtree is a bust.

Hell yeah he is.

It's a shame we dont get to see the routes down the field, but when they did show him trying to get open, jesus it was ugly. His route running did not look NFL caliber from what I saw last night.

Garcia Bronco 01-23-2012 11:02 AM

No...Alex Smith is not a franchise QB

Mile High Mania 01-23-2012 11:19 AM

It's funny to see the similarities and differences with Smith and TT...

Smith has a great TE, pass catching RB and defense... wretched WRs.
TT has no real TE, good RB and defense ... solid and improving WRs.

Both QBs need what the other has to really become successful. Neither is close to being a franchise QB at this point.

ToxSocks 01-23-2012 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mile High Mania (Post 8320955)
It's funny to see the similarities and differences with Smith and TT...

Smith has a great TE, pass catching RB and defense... wretched WRs.
TT has no real TE, good RB and defense ... solid and improving WRs.

Both QBs need what the other has to really become successful. Neither is close to being a franchise QB at this point.

Shut up.

Tebow is your franchise QB.

Bump 01-23-2012 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco (Post 8320908)

he's won more playoff game than we'll ever win

TheGuardian 01-23-2012 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 8320985)

JFC that doesn't make him a franchise QB.

and no, he's never going to be one. The guy is Matt Cassel. Period.

Mile High Mania 01-23-2012 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 8320961)
Shut up.

Tebow is your franchise QB.

Well, there is a difference in being the team's starting QB and being a 'franchise' caliber QB. TT has a bit of work to do this off-season and the team has some areas to beef up as well.

Pasta Little Brioni 01-23-2012 01:16 PM

So, other QB's get excuses, but not ones that play for the Chiefs. Got it. Smith wasn't THE reason they lost, but yes he was part of the problem. They had multiple chances to drive down and win the game and didn't get it done. Simple as that.

Pasta Little Brioni 01-23-2012 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 8320985)

Way to stay on track with the topic.

jd1020 01-23-2012 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGuardian (Post 8321015)
JFC that doesn't make him a franchise QB.

and no, he's never going to be one. The guy is Matt Cassel. Period.

Matt Cassel leads two monster drives to beat the Saints in the playoffs... :spock:

Chiefs Pantalones 01-23-2012 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8295493)
He made plays when he absolutely had to. I honestly didn't think he had it in him, although, he was a #1 overall pick....so there was always talent there. Thoughts?

No.

Pasta Little Brioni 01-23-2012 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 8321292)
Matt Cassel leads two monster drives to beat the Saints in the playoffs... :spock:

He does usually play well against shit defenses...

Rasputin 01-23-2012 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco (Post 8320908)

He is 9ers "franchise" QB, but I wouldn't call him elite. He still gives them opportunity for a chance to go to the show he is just growing up late and time is running out. I won't say he can or will get the job done but they are better shape with him than we are with Cassel.

TheGuardian 01-23-2012 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 8321292)

Two drives against blown coverages doesn't mean shit. The only reason anyone even noticed is because it was in a playoff game. The guy is a bust. He totally shit his pants last night. Does that not count either?

jd1020 01-23-2012 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 8321295)
He does usually play well against shit defenses...

Buffalo. Detriot. Oakland.

jd1020 01-23-2012 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGuardian (Post 8321303)
Two drives against blown coverages doesn't mean shit. The only reason anyone even noticed is because it was in a playoff game. The guy is a bust. He totally shit his pants last night. Does that not count either?

He shit his pants while throwing 2 TD's in a shower?

Take away the 2 idiot fumbles from the same idiot on ST and the 49ers likely win that game.

TheGuardian 01-23-2012 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 8321306)
He shit his pants while throwing 2 TD's in a shower?

Are you ****ing serious? Did you watch the game?

jd1020 01-23-2012 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGuardian (Post 8321309)
Are you ****ing serious? Did you watch the game?

I did watch the game. Did you?

He had some bad throws but he was mostly running for his life the whole game and he put his team in a position to get to the SB. It's not his fault they lost the game.

TheGuardian 01-23-2012 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 8321310)
I did watch the game. Did you?

He had some bad throws but he was mostly running for his life the whole game and he put his team in a position to get to the SB. It's not his fault they lost the game.

12/26 for 196 yards and like 1-12 on third down conversions.

Yes he was a big reason why they lost the game.

morphius 01-23-2012 01:26 PM

He may or may not be a franchise QB, I'm still not sure I would be content with him as our starting QB.

Pasta Little Brioni 01-23-2012 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 8321304)
Buffalo. Detriot. Oakland.

I said usually. Haley's braindead offseason program doomed this team at the start. See I can make excuses too!!

Chiefs Pantalones 01-23-2012 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morphius (Post 8321316)
He may or may not be a franchise QB, I'm still not sure I would be content with him as our starting QB.

His 15 minutes of fame was this year. I don't think they'll repeat what they did, that defense was lights out. His season wasn't that all impressive, IMO. He is nowhere near a franchise QB. When he can pick apart a GOOD defense, ala Brady, Brees, Rodgers, then he deserves his own thread.

jd1020 01-23-2012 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGuardian (Post 8321313)
12/26 for 196 yards and like 1-12 on third down conversions.

Yes he was a big reason why they lost the game.

Sure thing.

Keep believing that.

Alex Smith "fumbled" the punt when it was 14-10 giving Manning a short field to work with and take the lead 17-14.

Alex Smith didn't come right back with a quick drive to tie the game at 17-17.

Alex Smith fumbled the game away in OT.

Pasta Little Brioni 01-23-2012 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGuardian (Post 8321313)
12/26 for 196 yards and like 1-12 on third down conversions. Yes he was a big reason why they lost the game.

That's the big one right there and a big test of a QB's merit.

jd1020 01-23-2012 01:30 PM

Name someone besides Vernon Davis on SF that is a legit receiving threat.

Chiefs Pantalones 01-23-2012 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 8321327)
That's the big one right there and a big test a QB's merit.

End of thread.

TheGuardian 01-23-2012 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morphius (Post 8321316)

Based on what? Two drives against a defense that blew assignments?

Smith is terrible. He was terrible last night. They didn't convert a third down until when in the game? That's the plays a QB makes that win games. He outside of the 1 throw to Davis he did nothing the entire night.

Jesus you guys have issues.

Setsuna 01-23-2012 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGuardian (Post 8321363)

Smith is terrible. He was terrible last night. They didn't convert a third down until when in the game? That's the plays a QB makes that win games. He outside of the 1 throw to Davis he did nothing the entire night.

Your hate is seething out of you and it looks unbearably disgusting.

TheGuardian 01-23-2012 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Setsuna (Post 8321629)
Your hate is seething out of you and it looks unbearably disgusting.

There is no hate required to see that Alex Smith sucks and has for 6 years. He's a total bust and I will bump this thread in a couple of years when he's either out of the league or a backup somewhere.

ForeverChiefs58 01-23-2012 04:43 PM

Alex Smith has sucked since being the #1 overall pick in 2005.

Harbaugh did an amazing job with him. I use to think he was Cassel part 2. However, I watch a lot of 49er games, and he made a lot of throws this year that Cassel just cannot make. I also think that Harbaugh has helped him read defensive coverages and make adjustments he never could do prior to this year and that helped them get as far as they got this year. He doesn't suck as much as Cassel, but isn't quite as good as Flacco either.

But I think Smith has hit his ceiling this year. He was actually 1-13 on 3rd down and the one didn't come until the end of regulation. He had 1 pass to a WR for 3 yards.

Sure, you can give him a lot of excuses, but Eli didn't have much problem throwing in the rain while also getting his ass kicked 20 different times.

Dispite everything they still had a big chance to win it, take away the 2 fumbles, or get the fumble that Bradshaw sure seemed to lose, or one of the INT's the 49ers ran into eachother trying to get.

But ultimately, if the teams switched QB's there would be no doubt the best QB would still win.

WhiteWhale 01-23-2012 04:49 PM

Smith did what Cassel did in 2010. The only difference is that the SF defense is flat out incredible. They put a beating on Eli like I've rarely seen. Props to Eli for taking that beating like a man and pulling out the win.

The 49ers set team records in FG attempts and FG's and were balls in the redzone all year. Smith threw 17 TD's and threw fewer than 500 passes.

Gratz to Smith for having the game of his life against Drew Brees. He won't do it again.

ForeverChiefs58 01-23-2012 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 8321864)
Smith did what Cassel did in 2010. The only difference is that the SF defense is flat out incredible. They put a beating on Eli like I've rarely seen. Props to Eli for taking that beating like a man and pulling out the win.

The 49ers set team records in FG attempts and FG's and were balls in the redzone all year. Smith threw 17 TD's and threw fewer than 500 passes.

Gratz to Smith for having the game of his life against Drew Brees. He won't do it again.

Agreed. I gained a lot of respect for Eli hanging in that pocket knowing he would get hammered for the 20th time.

49er defense was lights out against NO. Who doesn't win a game while getting 5 turnovers? Of course Brees was the main factor in being in that game, but Dick Vermeil would be happy to tell you it is just about impossible to lose a game while getting 5 turnovers at home.

morphius 01-23-2012 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGuardian (Post 8321363)

Based on his play, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be content with him as our QB. You want him as our QB now?

morphius
getting confused.

DonTellMeShowMe 01-23-2012 08:42 PM

Yes, until he gets beat out by Kaep or Tolzein when either of them is ready to go. Smith showed a lot this year with Harbaugh's system. Even with the lockout. This offseason should be extremely helpful to him

Deberg_1990 09-10-2012 11:32 AM

Dude has turned into a "playa"

L.A. Chieffan 09-10-2012 11:33 AM

The impact of a Head Coach. Harbaugh has completely turned the franchise around

Mr. Laz 09-10-2012 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A.Chieffan (Post 8898061)
The impact of a Head Coach. Harbaugh has completely turned the franchise around

yep, coaching can dramatically effect the QB position

Reerun_KC 09-10-2012 11:59 AM

I would give my left nut for a Coach like Harbaugh....

My god, to have a young passionate coach that you can build a franchise and Franchise QB around...

Dreamy....

Yet we keep rehashing the NFL reeruns...

durtyrute 09-10-2012 12:42 PM

Quinn or Stanzi still have a chance.

HemiEd 09-10-2012 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8898056)
Dude has turned into a "playa"

If only the Chiefs had given Todd Blackledge that long to develop, history might be different. They might have picked several 1st round QBs by now.

jd1020 09-10-2012 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by durtyrute (Post 8898299)

OH JOY! I look forward to those days. :banghead:

Ceej 09-10-2012 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC (Post 8898141)

My god, to have a young passionate coach that you can build a franchise and Franchise QB around...

Dreamy....

You know how I know you're gay?

Reerun_KC 09-10-2012 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 8898526)
You know how I know you're gay?

Yeah I am gay for building a yearly contender with a NFL coaching staff...

Chiefs Pantalones 09-10-2012 02:02 PM

This is indeed overreaction Monday. Alex Smith? LMAO

Ceej 09-10-2012 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC (Post 8898533)
Yeah I am gay for building a yearly contender with a NFL coaching staff...

Maybe so. Just not sure I would have used the adjective "dreamy" is all.

Tombstone RJ 09-10-2012 02:04 PM

maybe this Niners win proves that GB still has a pretty mediocre defense? I didn't watch the game but it sure seems that way given the fact that the Niners aren't known for their offense.

Reerun_KC 09-10-2012 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 8898537)
Maybe so. Just not sure I would have used the adjective "dreamy" is all.

At this point, it was the best I can come up with.

Would love to have the feeling on sundays when the Chiefs were playing for something meaningful.

Or have the ability to be competitive... Shit since Vermiel left, every sunday has been like the last... Its tiring.

Ceej 09-10-2012 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC (Post 8898546)
At this point, it was the best I can come up with.

Would love to have the feeling on sundays when the Chiefs were playing for something meaningful.

Or have the ability to be competitive... Shit since Vermiel left, every sunday has been like the last... Its tiring.

I'm picking up what you're putting down.

"Dreamy" made me chuckle though.

Reerun_KC 09-10-2012 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 8898552)
I'm picking up what you're putting down.

"Dreamy" made me chuckle though.

Youre welcome....

King_Chief_Fan 09-10-2012 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by durtyrute (Post 8898299)

stanzi is history....he is just hanging out on the sideline

Buehler445 09-10-2012 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC (Post 8898141)

Dreamy....

I had hoped Haley would be that young passionate guy, but he sucked too. I think the Chiefs are ****ing cursed. Maybe it is just me. God ****ing hates me.

Rasputin 09-10-2012 05:19 PM

I don't know what to think about Alex Smith other than good for him & his coaches to stick with him. Kudos.

I remember his rookie year comming here and we crushed the 9ers 41 to 0 & Hutard was our QB. Now they are continders and we are happless wondering what to do on offense and defense fooling ourselves that we are better than we are and with casshole at QB.

Maybe it shows drafting a QB allows to build a time frame to build a team that can be in Super Bowl contintion?

Deberg_1990 02-27-2013 01:37 PM

Fun thread to revisit. This was created after the Saints playoff game last year.