ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Mellinger: Now is the time for Chiefs to make bold move at QB (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=255080)

BossChief 01-15-2012 02:29 PM

The rule with Ricky Williams and Hershal Walker trades is never give up everything for a complimentary player.

Either of those trades would have been good if they had landed a franchise quarterback.

dallaschiefsfan 01-15-2012 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbucks24 (Post 8297262)
I think because of the draft position of the Chiefs and the number of teams that need a QB, it will take more than that to get RGIII. I think the Browns, Redskins and Dolphins will also be making offers. This could get into a bidding war.

Everyone seems to assume this is the case. While I don't have enough insider info to say this with any confidence for each franchise listed above, I don't believe for a second each front office with these teams will all of a sudden decide that they HAVE to have a QB in the first round and trade the farm to get it. MANY GM's have the same mentality as Carl/Pioli. We should not play down the capacity of most teams to under-value the QB position like us. After all, there's a reason each of those teams suck. We wouldn't necessarily be bidding against more than one other team, I'm guessing...unless everyone has an epiphany at the same time.

I say all this and firmly believe that we won't trade the farm for a franchise QB either...so it's all moot to me. The Rams will get Blackmon at 2 and we'll see what happens from there.

ForeverChiefs58 01-15-2012 02:30 PM

I would rather our team do their homework and find a good QB in the draft like the Bengles were able to do without giving away our future.

I would also hope our GM would be way more savy and experienced than the Bungles.

O.city 01-15-2012 02:30 PM

I realize that franchise qbs are worth more than basically any other player on the team. But for **** sake, the Chiefs are a franchise quarterback away from being contenders with the team they have on the field right now.

Trade the whole damn draft if you have to. Trade 3 firsts and 3 2nds if you have to.

-King- 01-15-2012 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCrockaholic (Post 8298444)
Most people did. The smart fans knew Cassel wasn't the answer.

Absolutely not. Why would you make assumptions like that.

Because you made posts like:

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCrockaholic (Post 7309020)
If you watched him play at all you would know Cassel was a different player towards the second half. Saying the O-line did doesn't work. Multiple times the pocket collapsed and Cassel escaped, improvising.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCrockaholic (Post 7307004)
Because Weis is replaceable. He's good. But he's not an elite OC. The best thing about Weis is that he helped mold Cassel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCrockaholic (Post 7305626)
I would agree. That also means Cassel will have to be the great QB he's shown that he can be on a consistent basis.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCrockaholic (Post 7292130)
Me. I said 9-7, and barely miss the playoffs....

I ****ing love Todd Haley and Scott Pioli....And....Eric Berry, Jamaal Charles, Matt Cassel, Derrick Johnson, Dustin Colquitt...

And many more.

Quote:

True. But at this point Cassel is his guy, and I've seen nothing to tell me otherwise.

Because he put 60 million dollars into Cassel, and Pioli doesn't have a personal problem with Cassel like he did with Haley.
And you know this how? We never knew that Pioli and Haley had personal problems until he was fired.

ForeverChiefs58 01-15-2012 02:31 PM

Like everyone else though, 20 years is too long for a playoff win, and 40 years is too long for a SB win, so do whatever to make it happen! Whatever you have to do to get it done, be like Nike, and just do it!

Rausch 01-15-2012 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowener (Post 8298632)
Will the Chiefs have a better chance at trading into the 2nd spot than other teams since they can trade Bowe to the Rams?

We trade Bowe to the Lambs for RGIII and I'll find out where you live and kill you in your sleep...

Okie_Apparition 01-15-2012 02:32 PM

If Pioli suggests trading 3 1st
he should be fired on the spot

-King- 01-15-2012 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Okie_Apparition (Post 8298683)

This.

O.city 01-15-2012 02:35 PM

Essentially you are trading 2 firsts, because you get one for the Luck pick.

Look at are last say 5 first round picks. Any of them more valuable to the Chiefs than what Peyton Manning was or is to the Colts.

donkhater 01-15-2012 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 8298618)
I was on the Peyton Manning bandwagon, and still am. It's not going to happen, but I'll say this aside from it:

Now is NOT the time for the Chiefs to make a bold QB move (excepting Manning).

2013 has a ton of great potential franchise QBs coming out. None of them are in Luck's range but the sheer number of them allows for this team to get a QB with better value than competing with eight other teams for, really, only two or three options.

The reason I except a healthy Manning is because he's truly a gamechanger.

And what's the probability of KC being in position to grab one of them? I don't think Cassel is great, but this team is likely good enou to finish anywhere between 6-10 and 10-6 with him.

If Luck is truly can't miss, then 3 first rounders is a steal. Year 4 he is in his prime, and our picks are restored. He is a top tier QB for a decade after that.

That, of course is discounting the fact that you can't find good talent in later rounds or free agency, which you can. Besides, you're assuming that Pioli will hit on Pro Bowlers with the first rounders he trades. He could just as easily turn them into Tyson Jackson's.

3 #1's and some more for Luck? Pull the trigger in a heartbeat.

BossChief 01-15-2012 02:37 PM

Quote:

For RG3? Probably.

For Luck?

I'd stand and applaud.

donkhater 01-15-2012 02:37 PM

Quote:

Thank god you don't run the Chiefs. It would be another 40 years until we sniff a Super Bowl.

whoman69 01-15-2012 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 8298658)
The rule with Ricky Williams and Hershal Walker trades is never give up everything for a complimentary player.

Either of those trades would have been good if they had landed a franchise quarterback.

The league was a running back league when the Walker trade was made and only slightly less so when Williams came out. Neither one worked for the team that got the player, but it won a Super Bowl for the Cowboys getting all those picks.

Okie_Apparition 01-15-2012 02:38 PM

Pioli's contract only covers 2012 & 2013 drafts
work with that & players or not at all

whoman69 01-15-2012 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donkhater (Post 8298714)
Thank god you don't run the Chiefs. It would be another 40 years until we sniff a Super Bowl.

Thank god you don't or we'd never be there. Trading 3 first round picks is giving away 3 starters on your team. To get starters you then have to go FA route, which these days is a market that seems to be drying up.

bowener 01-15-2012 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 8298681)
We trade Bowe to the Lambs for RGIII and I'll find out where you live and kill you in your sleep...

Wait... Why?

I love Bowe, as my name sort of indicates, but a franchize QB would be pretty ****ing awesome to have. More so than an awesome WR.

milkman 01-15-2012 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoman69 (Post 8298715)
The league was a running back league when the Walker trade was made and only slightly less so when Williams came out. Neither one worked for the team that got the player, but it won a Super Bowl for the Cowboys getting all those picks.

And teams with the Staubachs, Bradshaws, Montanas and Aikmans, before and after those trades were the teams winning SBs.

RBs were more valued then than now, but this has never been a RB league.

Buckweath 01-15-2012 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 8298664)
I realize that franchise qbs are worth more than basically any other player on the team. But for **** sake, the Chiefs are a franchise quarterback away from being contenders with the team they have on the field right now.

Trade the whole damn draft if you have to. Trade 3 firsts and 3 2nds if you have to.

It`s also my opinion that if this team had a franchise QB, with the return of Berry, Charles and Moeaki, the Chiefs would be contending as soon as next year and even if Richardson and Lilja were still starting.

Forget about 2013, it`s really now or never and yeah, trade what`s absolutely necessary for Luck or Griffin.

I would give A LOT to get Luck or Griffin.

More Chiefs fans should forget about the few exceptions in history where an average QB has won a superbowl with an elite defense and running game and realize, the very starting point to have a chance to win it all is to have an above-average QB.

donkhater 01-15-2012 02:41 PM

The Patriot way: draft Brady and enjoy the ride.

The Bill Polian way: draft Jim Kelly and Peyton Manning and enjoy the ride.

The Steeler way: draft Big Ben and enjoy the ride.

The Packer way: draft Favre and Rodgers and enjoy the ride.

The Bronco way: draft Elway and enjoy the ride.

The 49er way: draft Montana, trade for Yonug and enjoy the ride.

Get the picture?

donkhater 01-15-2012 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoman69 (Post 8298737)
Thank god you don't or we'd never be there. Trading 3 first round picks is giving away 3 starters on your team. To get starters you then have to go FA route, which these days is a market that seems to be drying up.

So using that logic, the Colts should absolutely grab the 3 first rounders and pass on Luck? Don't you think what they went through this year flies in the face of that logic?

O.city 01-15-2012 02:47 PM

I'll ask this name the teams that have been SB contenders for the past say 5 years. Name their qbs.

Messier 01-15-2012 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 8298793)
I'll ask this name the teams that have been SB contenders for the past say 5 years. Name their qbs.

SB contenders? or teams in the SB.

O.city 01-15-2012 02:56 PM

Contenders year in year out.

Patriots = Brady
Colts= Manning
Steelers= Big Ben
Saints= Brees
Pack= A. Rog
Giants= Manning

The only team that is year in year out contender that doesn't have a franchise guy is the Ravens. And they have always been that much short of it.

SAUTO 01-15-2012 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donkhater (Post 8298751)

Get the picture?

farve was drafted by atlanta
Posted via Mobile Device

Pioli Zombie 01-15-2012 02:57 PM

The Chiefs should trade for Drew Brees. They could offer Cassel and something. Yeah.

Messier 01-15-2012 02:57 PM

I'm all for trading draft picks, but not for other draft picks. I want to trade for known commodities. I'd trade a 1st for Manning in a heart beat, even if he could only give us 2-3 years of 80% his old self, ala Montana.

BigChiefFan 01-15-2012 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donkhater (Post 8298751)

Get the picture?

Don't forget the Cowboys way:draft Aikman and enjoy the ride.

donkhater 01-15-2012 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 8298868)
farve was drafted by atlanta
Posted via Mobile Device

OK

whoman69 01-15-2012 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 8298744)
And teams with the Staubachs, Bradshaws, Montanas and Aikmans, before and after those trades were the teams winning SBs.

RBs were more valued then than now, but this has never been a RB league.

Which one of those teams traded multiple first round draft picks to get them? Apples and oranges.

donkhater 01-15-2012 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Messier (Post 8298877)
I'm all for trading draft picks, but not for other draft picks. I want to trade for known commodities. I'd trade a 1st for Manning in a heart beat, even if he could only give us 2-3 years of 80% his old self, ala Montana.

KC hasn't started a rookie QB in what, 30 years? One AFC championship game during that time ( with a HOF QB BTW). Its time to change the thinking around One Arrowhead Drive and take some risks.

O.city 01-15-2012 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoman69 (Post 8298904)
Which one of those teams traded multiple first round draft picks to get them? Apples and oranges.

None they all got to the point where they sucked bad enough to get a top pick.

donkhater 01-15-2012 03:01 PM

Quote:

Not entirely. More like Johnny gold and Macintosh.

whoman69 01-15-2012 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donkhater (Post 8298766)
So using that logic, the Colts should absolutely grab the 3 first rounders and pass on Luck? Don't you think what they went through this year flies in the face of that logic?

Not if they believe that Luck is the guy. I would challenge anyone to find an instance of a team trading multiple firsts for one player and having it work out.

milkman 01-15-2012 03:04 PM

Quote:

You are putting a false label on the league based on the actions of two dumbass franchises.

O.city 01-15-2012 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoman69 (Post 8298930)
Not if they believe that Luck is the guy. I would challenge anyone to find an instance of a team trading multiple firsts for one player and having it work out.

I would challenge you to find me a team that wins SB's these days with the Matt Cassels of the league.

It's time for the Chiefs to get serious and go get a franchise quarterback. We have went hte other route for 40 years. We know that doesn't work.

donkhater 01-15-2012 03:05 PM

Quote:

We'll it hasnt happened a lot for a QB because teams at the top of the draft usually need a QB and won't trade. (which supports my argument).

dallaschiefsfan 01-15-2012 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 8298681)

Why, exactly?? RG3 is more valuable than Bowe. Plus we have Baldwin and Breaston signed...so I'm not sure why we have to have an all-world receiving group (which we don't, anyway) with no QB.

I would gladly package Bowe with picks to get RG3.

GloryDayz 01-15-2012 03:06 PM

This team doesn't evaluate talent well, or if they do they won't pay for it. So until Hunt gets the F out of town we're doomed!

Messier 01-15-2012 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donkhater (Post 8298911)
KC hasn't started a rookie QB in what, 30 years? One AFC championship game during that time ( with a HOF QB BTW). Its time to change the thinking around One Arrowhead Drive and take some risks.

Right, but I don't want a rookie just to have a rookie.

I think if a no brainer fell in the Chiefs lap, like RG3 was there at their pick (he won't be) they'd take him, but there's no sure thing in the draft, not even Luck. I know you're saying you want to take that risk and I would too, but if we're gonna start trading 1st round picks, I'd rather know what I'm getting.

whoman69 01-15-2012 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 8298922)
None they all got to the point where they sucked bad enough to get a top pick.

Sorry Montana was a 3rd round pick. Brady was a 6th. Bradshaw and Aikmen were on teams with multiple years of great drafts following their joining the team. Those teams mentioned had a lot of help around them. You don't get that by trading all your draft picks away. Dan Marino and Dan Fouts are both franchise QBs that don't have a ring because there wasn't enough talent around them. Ask Archie Manning how that talent around you thing works out. Its one of the reasons he didn't want Eli to go to San Diego.

Messier 01-15-2012 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 8298950)
This team doesn't evaluate talent well, or if they do they won't pay for it. So until Hunt gets the F out of town we're doomed!

I guess we're all doomed, because Hunt's not going anywhere.

BossChief 01-15-2012 03:10 PM

Quote:

Eli Manning

donkhater 01-15-2012 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Messier (Post 8298969)
Right, but I don't want a rookie just to have a rookie.

I think if a no brainer fell in the Chiefs lap, like RG3 was there at their pick (he won't be) they'd take him, but there's no sure thing in the draft, not even Luck. I know you're saying you want to take that risk and I would too, but if we're gonna start trading 1st round picks, I'd rather know what I'm getting.

It's a risk. I just think its time to take one. Clearly the model this franchise has been using for decades isn't working. No?

Caseyguyrr 01-15-2012 03:12 PM

we can quit dreaming any time now, were stuck with casshole for at least another long year

Dayze 01-15-2012 03:14 PM

Cassel as a starter next yr equals my Sundays freed up. I won't watch this team as long as he's the starter. I'll be on NCAA full time.

O.city 01-15-2012 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoman69 (Post 8298976)
Sorry Montana was a 3rd round pick. Brady was a 6th. Bradshaw and Aikmen were on teams with multiple years of great drafts following their joining the team. Those teams mentioned had a lot of help around them. You don't get that by trading all your draft picks away. Dan Marino and Dan Fouts are both franchise QBs that don't have a ring because there wasn't enough talent around them. Ask Archie Manning how that talent around you thing works out. Its one of the reasons he didn't want Eli to go to San Diego.

Jesus christ.

First off Aikman won 1 game as a rookie. Lotta talent there.

Bradshaw won SBs by having a great defense.

Brady is the exception, not the rule.

But keep digging for those prized Super Bowl winning quarterbacks in the 3 or 4th round. It surely will happen soon.

The Chiefs have the talent right now. If the three guys who missed thw whole year come back healthy next year, skill position wise the CHiefs are on par with any contender in the league. Save for one spot.

donkhater 01-15-2012 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoman69 (Post 8298976)

You have to adjust for different eras. With the rule changes that have happened over the last 10 years, the QB is THE dominant position on the field. You almost never win without good QB play anymore.

BigChiefFan 01-15-2012 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 8298979)
Eli Manning

Yep. I can't believe how many are against getting a franchise QB.

Good Lord, people, we gave up a 1st rounder for Elvis Grbac. We gave up a first rounder for Trent Green.

We're talking a few picks for the best QB prospect in a decade.

whoman69 01-15-2012 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donkhater (Post 8298947)
We'll it hasnt happened a lot for a QB because teams at the top of the draft usually need a QB and won't trade. (which supports my argument).

Circular argument and self-fulfilling.

donkhater 01-15-2012 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoman69 (Post 8299051)
Circular argument and self-fulfilling.

Yet true.

donkhater 01-15-2012 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefFan (Post 8299039)

Good Lord, people, we gave up a 1st rounder for Elvis Grbac. We gave up a first rounder for Trent Green.

Gave up a first for Green in the same draft Brees went in the second round. :deevee:

O.city 01-15-2012 03:21 PM

I understand what you are saying whoman. I just think Luck would be more important and valuable to the franchise than the picks they would give up.

If you give up those picks, in 2 or 3 years when Luck is in the prime ready to go, you can add those picks.

-King- 01-15-2012 03:21 PM

I think everybody realizes the importance of a franchise QB, but trading 3 firsts can really cripple your team.

Okie_Apparition 01-15-2012 03:22 PM

How is Philip working for ya

O.city 01-15-2012 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 8299077)
I think everybody realizes the importance of a franchise QB, but trading 3 firsts can really cripple your team.

As can having all the talent we have accumulated being wasted, while having a shitty quarterback.

If Luck says he won't play for Indy, I'd do what I had to and get him.

THe Chiefs could still have 2nd round picks this year and 4-7 to add depth and talent.

donkhater 01-15-2012 03:24 PM

Quote:

Not as much as not having an adequate QB. Not even close.

Messier 01-15-2012 03:25 PM

Quote:

I think Grbac was a FA.

ChiefsCountry 01-15-2012 03:27 PM

Quote:

Grbac was a free agent signing.

Messier 01-15-2012 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donkhater (Post 8299070)
Gave up a first for Green in the same draft Brees went in the second round. :deevee:

I don't bemoan that trade. It was a good move. The only draft I think about what if, is the 1983 draft. We should have taken Kelly or Marino.

Okie_Apparition 01-15-2012 03:30 PM

The Chargers couldn't make it work with Rivers & a loaded team
but if the Chiefs trade 3 1st it's in the bag
Smed makes more sense

whoman69 01-15-2012 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 8298979)
Eli Manning

Nope, Eli was traded for Rivers, a 2004 3rd, 2005 1st and 5th.

O.city 01-15-2012 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Okie_Apparition (Post 8299116)
The Chargers couldn't make it work with Rivers & a loaded team
but if the Chiefs trade 3 1st it's in the bag
Smed makes more sense

What does that have to do with the Chiefs giving up picks?

Because the Chargers were terribly coached, the Chiefs shouldn't make a move to get the best qb to come out of college since Manning?

Pioli Zombie 01-15-2012 03:32 PM

Qb isn't an important position. Buildup everywhere else and just bring in any old qb.

-King- 01-15-2012 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donkhater (Post 8299094)
Not as much as not having an adequate QB. Not even close.

Never said we have to stick with an inadequate QB. There's a difference between trading reasonable picks for a player and trading three ****ing first round picks for him.

whoman69 01-15-2012 03:33 PM

How'd that can't miss Jeff George Trade work out?

Okie_Apparition 01-15-2012 03:35 PM

I read on this site day in & day out how the Chiefs don't know their ass from a hole in the ground
But giving up 3 1st make them all the sudden geniouses

Red Beans 01-15-2012 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Okie_Apparition (Post 8299158)
I read on this site day in & day out how the Chiefs don't know their ass from a hole in the ground

*sigh*

Coogs 01-15-2012 03:44 PM

Quote:

Let's see...

4-12
2-14
4-12
10=6 (very weak schedule)
7-9

27-53 over the past 5 seasons and you are worried about crippling the team?

donkhater 01-15-2012 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Okie_Apparition (Post 8299158)

Did I miss something? Pioli pulled the trigger?

I have absolutely no doubt KC will not go after Luck. Which is why the Chiefs don't know their ass from a hole in the ground.

donkhater 01-15-2012 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coogs (Post 8299203)
Let's see...

4-12
2-14
4-12
10=6 (very weak schedule)
7-9

27-53 over the past 5 seasons and you are worried about crippling the team?

But without those first round picks we'd be really bad. [/ sarcasm]

O.city 01-15-2012 03:46 PM

I agree with you guys.

Lets draft a C with our first this year or a rb. Then we can get an ILB next year in the first and a Corner the year after. Then we will be set to go.

Okie_Apparition 01-15-2012 03:48 PM

Arguing something you believe you have no way of being proven wrong about
brilliant

Messier 01-15-2012 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donkhater (Post 8299211)
Did I miss something? Pioli pulled the trigger?

I have absolutely no doubt KC will not go after Luck. Which is why the Chiefs don't know their ass from a hole in the ground.

I think the Colts want Luck.

O.city 01-15-2012 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Messier (Post 8299239)

I'm not so sure the Lucks want the Colts.

donkhater 01-15-2012 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Messier (Post 8299239)

I do too, but I live out here in Indy and Irsay is fiercely loyal to Manning. If Manning wants to continue playing for 3 more years, Irsay may be open to acquiring picks to give Manning ammo for another SB run.

Easy 6 01-15-2012 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 8298627)
something about drafting a developing our own Manning makes me excited.

THIS.

I dont want a two year starter, i want a thirteen year starter... someone who earned his stripes here, came up here... not an 'instant leader, just add water' guy.

Its LOOONG overdue, all the way back to the very begining overdue.

Okie_Apparition 01-15-2012 04:09 PM

When is KC EVER going to grow their own HC & not go after a retread
We'll be patient, honest injun

O.city 01-15-2012 04:09 PM

If we were to draft say Luck, he could come here and be the face of the franchise, king of KC.

KC loves its Chiefs. Even with the shitty ass qbs we have had, they love them no matter what.

donkhater 01-15-2012 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 8299327)
THIS.

I dont want a two year starter, i want a thirteen year starter... someone who earned his stripes here, came up here... not an 'instant leader, just add water' guy.

Its LOOONG overdue, all the way back to the very begining overdue.

Isn't that it? The NFL is entertainment. If your own damn fans aren't excited about your team, what's the point? Drafting and following a top flight QB is something this fan base has been deprived of for 30 years. It would be nice to get excited about the Chiefs again.