ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Winston mad at the Fans (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=264770)

Molitoth 10-07-2012 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Messier (Post 8988653)
Everyone is jumping on Winston for being mad that a teammate was being cheered for getting hurt. If you were a good teammate you'd be mad too. It doesn't mean he's endorsing Cassel as the starter, in fact in his quotes he seems to suggest that Cassel isn't that good.

People were cheering that Quinn grabbed a ball and went into the game... not that Cassel was injured.

People Cheered for CHANGE.

stonedstooge 10-07-2012 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 8988650)
People have lost their goddamn minds.

But the Cheaps started it. Look at the gameplan today and tell me that they haven't lost their minds

The Mayor 10-07-2012 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molitoth (Post 8988661)
People were cheering that Quinn grabbed a ball and went into the game... not that Cassel was injured.

That's what I heard.

Chiefs Pantalones 10-07-2012 03:10 PM

What was the final run/pass ratio?

PunkinDrublic 10-07-2012 03:11 PM

I can't get mad at Winston for standing up for a teammate. What's he supposed to say?

notorious 10-07-2012 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefs Pantalones (Post 8988671)

11tybillion:1

notorious 10-07-2012 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PunkinDrublic (Post 8988674)
I can't get mad at Winston for standing up for a teammate. What's he supposed to say?

Nothing.

ToxSocks 10-07-2012 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 8988647)
No, those can be dismissed.. Most of the US would not of seen the banner. Booing individual plays does not really show up on TV.. And social media does not matter unless you go gangnam style..

Cheering like that hits the national media and makes everyone else wonder why are they doing that.. When we booed his ass at the softball game, the media was, why are they booing a probowl QB??

Really? Most of the US didn't see the banner, but most of us heard about it. It was covered on the news, on forums & on National T.V.

Booing individual plays is plenty loud on T.V. The announcer repeatedly made mention of it. Week after week, it's loud and clear.

Social media doesn't work? Where were you 3 weeks ago?

And no, no one was asking why fans were booing "a Pro Bowl" QB, now you're just making shit up to be dramatic.

Every lame ass excuse in this thread is just that, a lame ass.

the Talking Can 10-07-2012 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzo (Post 8988587)
Mr. Winston, you can kindly GFY.
If the fans were cheering an injury, then yes. Go ahead and be a bitch. But I'm pretty sure they were cheering a possible end to the biggest piece of shit starting QB this franchise has ever seen. They were cheering a possible end to the madness that is "The Patriot Way" and they were cheering for the little fleck of light that they can just barely make out at the end of a 4 year long tunnel. You go ahead and whine and bitch about the fans that pay your ****ing salary. If that piece of shit walks on the field next week, they'll boo. If he goes down again, they'll cheer again. Kiss our collective asses for we haven't seen the possibility of a championship since 1993.

perfect

R8RFAN 10-07-2012 03:12 PM

Damn yall cheered for Cassel going down?

Stay Classy Chief FANS :thumb:

ToxSocks 10-07-2012 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molitoth (Post 8988661)

This is what i thought was happening as well. I didn't hear fans cheer while he was on the ground.

NJChiefsFan 10-07-2012 03:13 PM

I was cheering at home for the change. The truth is Cassel being hurt isn't what we want. We want a clear, clear image of him being taken out for playing poorly.

Beef Supreme 10-07-2012 03:13 PM

I don't blame Winston for defending a teammate. I don't blame fans for cheering when the back-up quarterback put on his helmet and started throwing a few balls either. And that is pretty much what happened.If they pulled his ass when they should have, then none of those things would have happened.

Discuss Thrower 10-07-2012 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stonedstooge (Post 8988665)
But the Cheaps started it. Look at the gameplan today and tell me that they haven't lost their minds

Not the point. I don't care if the argument is people cheering for Quinn to start and it happens to look like they're booing Cassel's injury.

Situational awareness. It's necessary to have, and thinking that it's okay to even be in a position to look like you're cheering for a players injury.

Chiefs Pantalones 10-07-2012 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 8988675)
11tybillion:1

No for real, what was it?

KChiefer 10-07-2012 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 8988647)
It is only low-class because it is not New York or a big time franchise doing it..

This. What, we should be the Cubs of the NFL???

Perhaps we should transfer to the Sarcastiball league so where our player hug and every well behaved fan gets a marshmallow.

notorious 10-07-2012 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefs Pantalones (Post 8988698)
No for real, what was it?

LMAO

That might be real.

Pasta Little Brioni 10-07-2012 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Mayor (Post 8988609)
**** you. Winston is responsible for several stupid false starts this year that have killed us. He hasn't played like a great FA pickup. You need to pay the **** attention.

This is a top 5 line this year, so I don't know why you are crying about it.

WilliamTheIrish 10-07-2012 03:16 PM

Eric Winston can yap all he wants. He false starts like mf'er and is lucky to have a job in this league. Fortunately for him, he an NFLPA player rep so he can hang on a little longer.

Omaha 10-07-2012 03:16 PM

I couldn't tell what was happening because they were showing a replay on TV but I could hear it. I assumed the big cheer was for Cassel walking off the field. The announcers said they were cheering for Brady Quinn.

Also, didn't Winston's guy put the hit on Cassel? Maybe he should worry less about the fan's reaction and worry more about earning his $22 million.

PunkinDrublic 10-07-2012 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 8988677)
Nothing.

But if he does say something I'd rather it be in support of one of his teammates.

ToxSocks 10-07-2012 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefer (Post 8988700)
This. What, we should be the Cubs of the NFL???

Perhaps we should transfer to the Sarcastiball league so where our player hug and every well behaved fan gets a marshmallow.

Mmmkay...Because Philly fans and Jets fans NEVER get called out for acting like idiots and being trashy, right? I mean, that's not what they're known for AT ALL? :rolleyes:

notorious 10-07-2012 03:16 PM

50 rushes to 18 passes.

5:2 Ratio

Frazod 10-07-2012 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 8988685)
Damn yall cheered for Cassel going down?

Stay Classy Chief FANS :thumb:

I cheered louder when I heard about your bathtub accident, douche.

Pasta Little Brioni 10-07-2012 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamInnerCircle (Post 8988709)
Eric Winston can yap all he wants. He false starts like mf'er and is lucky to have a job in this league. Fortunately for him, he an NFLPA player rep so he can hang on a little longer.

Riiiiiight LMAO You guys are a riot sometimes

bevischief 10-07-2012 03:16 PM

I have never said anything like that but I was happy today when he went out. But I am still a fan. We fans deserve better.

Mother****erJones 10-07-2012 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chief103182 (Post 8988625)
**** you, Winston. Go get a false start penalty, you goofy-faced giant.

LMAO:)

Marcellus 10-07-2012 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamInnerCircle (Post 8988709)

:doh!:

Tribal Warfare 10-07-2012 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan (Post 8988690)
I was cheering at home for the change. The truth is Cassel being hurt isn't what we want. We want a clear, clear image of him being taken out for playing poorly.

Cassel hasn't ever started a full 16 game season if he's not cleared for the next game which is a big strike on his durability issue.

Swanman 10-07-2012 03:17 PM

I doubt the fans were cheering the injury itself. They were cheering the fact that shithead would FINALLY be pulled from the game.

Rasputin 10-07-2012 03:18 PM

If Winston cared so much about Cassell then he should be pissed at Peeoli for allowing Cassell to stay our QB for so long.

They should get the hint by now Cassell nor Pioli are not liked around here. Get the hint to get the **** out. Cassell should have ask to be traded that this fan base has booed him at a summers baseball game.

Coogs 10-07-2012 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefs Pantalones (Post 8988671)

50 rushes vs 18 passes. Cassel 9-15 for 92 yards and a pair of INT's. Quinn 3-3 for 32 yards. 214 rushing yards. Two hundred and ****ing fourteen rushing yards and we lost. Only Matt Cassel can do that.

lewdog 10-07-2012 03:19 PM

You could look at it as cheering that Cassel was hurt or cheering for the fact that we had a chance to see Brady Quinn. What do you expect a fanbase who has been calling for Cassel to take a seat, to really do in that instance? I didn't cheer that he was injured but I sure was ****ing excited that Quinn would at least get some snaps.

Chiefs Pantalones 10-07-2012 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coogs (Post 8988744)
50 rushes vs 18 passes. Cassel 9-15 for 92 yards and a pair of INT's. Quinn 3-3 for 32 yards. 214 rushing yards. Two hundred and ****ing fourteen rushing yards and we lost. Only Matt Cassel can do that.

LMAO Wow.

Pasta Little Brioni 10-07-2012 03:20 PM

What is with everyone on this team having butterfingers? It's not just PeeWee either, the backs are losing the ball like they are carrying a greased pig.

ToxSocks 10-07-2012 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 8988749)
You could look at it as cheering that Cassel was hurt or cheering for the fact that we had a chance to see Brady Quinn. What do you expect a fanbase who has been calling for Cassel to take a seat, to really do in that instance? I didn't cheer that he was injured but I sure was ****ing excited that Quinn would at least get some snaps.

I think this is what actually occured and Winston misinterpreted it.

RINGLEADER 10-07-2012 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzo (Post 8988587)
Mr. Winston, you can kindly GFY.
If the fans were cheering an injury, then yes. Go ahead and be a bitch. But I'm pretty sure they were cheering a possible end to the biggest piece of shit starting QB this franchise has ever seen. They were cheering a possible end to the madness that is "The Patriot Way" and they were cheering for the little fleck of light that they can just barely make out at the end of a 4 year long tunnel. You go ahead and whine and bitch about the fans that pay your ****ing salary. If that piece of shit walks on the field next week, they'll boo. If he goes down again, they'll cheer again. Kiss our collective asses for we haven't seen the possibility of a championship since 1993.

Pretty much.

I was VERY happy to see Quinn out there. I didn't know/care what happened to Cassel, but if I had seen him get hurt I still would have been VERY happy to see Quinn out there.

Other then the damage Cassel has done to this season, I don't care one way or the other what happens to him as long as he never takes the field again for the Chiefs...

Mizzou_8541 10-07-2012 03:26 PM

I didn't hear the cheering, but the fans weren't cheering Cassel's injury so much as they were cheering for Quinn right?

KChiefer 10-07-2012 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 8988712)
Mmmkay...Because Philly fans and Jets fans NEVER get called out for acting like idiots and being trashy, right? I mean, that's not what they're known for AT ALL? :rolleyes:

That's my point. Put Cassel in those markets and he'd need an armored car to get home. We cheer when he leaves the field FINALLY and we're classless.

I sooo feel for Cassel. Maybe he can make a papier-mache head-cast out of $1000 dollar bills while Pioli eats caviar from his asshole. They can do whatever, just do it on the sideline.

jd1020 10-07-2012 03:28 PM

I wonder what Winston was saying about Cassel after he fumbled the ball at the 1. He sure didn't look happy on the bench.

Kyle DeLexus 10-07-2012 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coogs (Post 8988744)

You didn't even mention Matty's fumbled snap on the 1.

Deberg_1990 10-07-2012 03:28 PM

Winston overracting??

@mellinger
OK, not bad. Clapped for Cassel getting up, CHEERED Quinn coming in.

@mellinger
All I heard was the same kind of applause you typically hear when an injured player gets up. But Winston was much closer to it than I

the Talking Can 10-07-2012 03:29 PM

the banner, cassel's embarrassing performance, and crennel's pride in losing, will be lost to a week's worth of this stupid discussion...

pioli is laughing somewhere

R8RFAN 10-07-2012 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefer (Post 8988802)
That's my point. Put Cassel in those markets and he'd need an armored car to get home. We cheer when he leaves the field FINALLY and we're classless.

I sooo feel for Cassel. Maybe he can make a papier-mache head-cast out of $1000 dollar bills while Pioli eats caviar from his asshole. They can do whatever, just do it on the sideline.

Thats just wrong man LMAO

WilliamTheIrish 10-07-2012 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8988814)
Winston overracting??

@mellinger

They just mentioned this on 810. And explained that Winston felt he heard 70k cheering a guy who may be hurt.

Winston can eat a bag of dicks.

Buehler445 10-07-2012 03:31 PM

I didn't hear much cheering until Quinn came on the field.

If they cheered Cassel's injury, that isn't cool. If they cheered when Quinn got on the field, excellent.

chiefzilla1501 10-07-2012 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8988814)
Winston overracting??

@mellinger

@mellinger
All I heard was the same kind of applause you typically hear when an injured player gets up. But Winston was much closer to it than I

I appreciate that Mellinger is a media guy critical of the Chiefs.

But I don't want the hatred to be transparent where we apologize for this kind of stuff.

Look, I clapped when I saw Quinn enter the game. I'm not proud that I did that. And I never do that. Let's not massage this into something it was not. Yes, we were cheering that Cassel was out of the game. Period. Yes, that was unclassy. Yes, a lot of that was based on frustration built up from an ownership that has made this situation so stubbornly bad for the Chiefs that we would resort to cheering for something like this. And yes, that is a sad state for the Chiefs when they turn a classy fan base into what we saw today.

DeezNutz 10-07-2012 03:33 PM

No one gives a shit what a RT thinks. **** him.

R8RFAN 10-07-2012 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 8988845)
I appreciate that Mellinger is a media guy critical of the Chiefs.

But I don't want the hatred to be transparent where we apologize for this kind of stuff.

Look, I clapped when I saw Quinn enter the game. I'm not proud that I did that. And I never do that. Let's not massage this into something it was not. Yes, we were cheering that Cassel was out of the game. Period. Yes, that was unclassy. Yes, a lot of that was based on frustration built up from an ownership that has made this situation so stubbornly bad for the Chiefs that we would resort to cheering for something like this. And yes, that is a sad state for the Chiefs when they turn a classy fan base into what we saw today.

Atleast you are truthful

the Talking Can 10-07-2012 03:34 PM

winston was grand standing....

Reaper16 10-07-2012 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 8988850)

He knows who's paying his salary, that's for sure.

Iowanian 10-07-2012 03:36 PM

I don't think fans should ever cheer the injury of a player.

I didn't cheer when Cassel was hurt. I did cheer that it was finally time to put in another QB.

If Crennel gave a shit about winning, Cassel wouldn't have been playing the 2nd half anyway.

Winston has been here 5 games. The Chiefs are 1-4 with him at RT and he looked the past 2 games like he was giving free shots on #7.

**** him right in his fat ass.

WilliamTheIrish 10-07-2012 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 8988850)

Exactly. Go win a ****ing game. Oh wait, Hermie-O said we DID win. I forgot we got a complimentary win today where everybody contributed to a Hermie-O moral loss.

Deberg_1990 10-07-2012 03:38 PM

Once things cool off in a few days, ill bet Winston apoligizes to fans.

Like i said earlier, he hasnt been in KC long enough, doesnt understand the history of where the frustrastion comes from for the average chiefs fan.

Papi 10-07-2012 03:38 PM

I think you could make the argument that the fans were cheering more for the fact a new quarterback was finally about to take the field than for Cassel being hurt. I kind of groaned when I heard the cheers but I totally understand.

notorious 10-07-2012 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papi (Post 8988868)
I think you could make the argument that the fans were cheering more for the fact a new quarterback was finally about to take the field than for Cassel being hurt. I kind of groaned when I heard the cheers but I totally understand.

This.

Old Dog 10-07-2012 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamInnerCircle (Post 8988824)
They just mentioned this on 810. And explained that Winston felt he heard 70k cheering a guy who may be hurt.

Winston can eat a bag of dicks.

He needs to get his ears checked too. No way were there 70,000 folks there

R8RFAN 10-07-2012 03:41 PM

9/15, 92 YDS, 2 INT

Romeo should have pulled him and atleast tried to spark a comeback

tk13 10-07-2012 03:41 PM

The offensive line just mauled the Baltimore Ravens about as bad as anyone has mauled them in 15 years, at least before they figured out we were going to run every single down. I can't believe anyone is ripping on their performance.

Chiefnj2 10-07-2012 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 8988608)

You guys can defend it all you want, no matter what excuse you have, it's tasteless.

When the team gives you no other option, you take what you can. Any other organization would have replaced Cassel by now. The only way to get a reprieve is injury.

I hope he heals quickly and starts the rest of the season. I want nothing to do with Pioli and Romeo et al.

DeezNutz 10-07-2012 03:42 PM

Fine, let's say that fans were cheering the injury; this would be more about Scott Pioli than it would be the fans anyway.

He's the reason we have a QB so inept that he finds ways to lose when he's barely involved in the game plan.

WilliamTheIrish 10-07-2012 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 8988884)
The offensive line just mauled the Baltimore Ravens about as bad as anyone has mauled them in 15 years, at least before they figured out we were going to run every single down. I can't believe anyone is ripping on their performance.

I'm just pissed that Winston is holding the fans accountable and not his QB.

notorious 10-07-2012 03:43 PM

I wanted Cassel to get back up. Check the game thread.

We need him in to truely complete this bag of failure.

gblowfish 10-07-2012 03:43 PM

Winston can kiss my ass. Maybe if he and his boys can manage to stay onside, it wouldn't be so hard to convert third downs.

tk13 10-07-2012 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamInnerCircle (Post 8988890)
I'm just pissed that Winston is holding the fans accountable and not his QB.

Nobody is going to throw their teammate under the bus. It's just not how it works. Unless you're Terrell Owens.

O.city 10-07-2012 03:46 PM

We put absolutely the least amount of pressure on our qb to win a football game as you can today

And he still managed to lose it.

Yeah let's not get upset at all

Spott 10-07-2012 03:47 PM

What exactly is Cassel's injury anyways? It kind of looked like a Harvey Williams injury to me.

WilliamTheIrish 10-07-2012 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 8988907)
Nobody is going to throw their teammate under the bus. It's just not how it works. Unless you're Terrell Owens.

Yea, I'm aware. And my reaction to his reaction is : **** you, Winston. Try not to false start you ****ing goon.

Deberg_1990 10-07-2012 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spott (Post 8988914)
What exactly is Cassel's injury anyways?

Broken Vagina

splatbass 10-07-2012 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 8988542)
Why in the **** do we think this franchise deserves classy behavior from us?

It doesn't matter if they deserve it or not. Good people are classy regardless. Classy people don't cheer when a hated opponent gets hurt, and they don't cheer when one of their own gets hurt even if he sucks and even if the organization sucks.

Tribal Warfare 10-07-2012 03:49 PM

Chiefs’ Winston criticizes fans who cheered when Cassel was hurt
By RANDY COVITZ
The Kansas City Star
Chiefs offensive tackle Eric Winston chose his words carefully but ripped the fans who cheered when quarterback Matt Cassel suffered a head injury in the fourth quarter and was removed from Sunday’s 9-6 loss to the Baltimore Ravens.

“We are athletes. We are not gladiators,” Winston said. “This isn’t the Roman Coliseum. People pay their hard-earned money to come in here. I believe they can boo, they can cheer, they can do whatever they want … we’re lucky to play this game. It’s hard economic times, and they still pay the money to go to these.

“There are long-lasting ramifications to the game we play … I’ve come to the understanding I won’t live as long because I play this game. That’s OK.

“But when you cheer somebody getting knocked out, I don’t care who it is, and just so happened to be Matt Cassel, it’s 100 percent sickening. I’ve been in some rough times on some rough teams, I’ve never been so embarrassed in my life to play football, than at that moment right there.

“I get emotional about it because these guys work their butts off. Matt Cassel hasn’t done anything to you people … hasn’t done anything to the media writers who kill him, hasn’t done anything wrong to the people who come out here and cheer him. If he’s not the best quarterback, he’s not the best quarterback, and that’s OK.

“But he’s a person. And he got knocked out in a game, and we got 70,000 people cheering. Boo him all you want. Boo me all you want. Throw me under the bus. Tell me I’m doing a bad job, say I’ve got to protect him more … but if you’re one of those people who were out there cheering, or even smiled, when he got knocked out, I just want everyone to know it’s sickening and disgusting.

“Don’t blame a guy and don’t cheer for a guy (when injured) who has done everything in his power to play as good as he can for the fans. It’s sickening. I want every fan to know it. We have a lot of problems as a society if people think that’s okay.”

Winston said in the seven years he’s played in the NFL, it’s the first time he’s seen a quarterback cheered when injured at home.

“And I’ve been on some bad teams and in some tough situations,” he said. “I know the fans are frustrated. We’re frustrated. And I understand the backup quarterback is sometimes the most popular guy on the team. I get it. But it’s not OK.”

Winston said he spoke with Cassel after the game but did not want to comment on Cassel’s condition.

“We had a private conversation … “ Winston said. “ I asked, ‘How are you feeling?’ I said some words to him, and that was it.”

DeezNutz 10-07-2012 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by splatbass (Post 8988922)
It doesn't matter if they deserve it or not. Good people are classy regardless. Classy people don't cheer when a hated opponent gets hurt, and they don't cheer when one of their own gets hurt even if he sucks and even if the organization sucks.

Cassel is not and has never been "one of our own."

He's Pioli's son--no kin to me.

CHENZ A! 10-07-2012 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 8988526)
I agree. As soon as Cassel went down i told my wife that I hope the fans don't cheer for this.

Winston should be mad. Cheering for an injury is pretty lame. At the end of the day, these people are still people, Cassel is out there giving it everything he has even if he sucks, and no one deserves to be treated like that.

I felt the same way. People that cheered his injury are morons. Especially since the guy wasn't moving for a min, it could've been really serious. I even cheered for him when he got up, after booing him all day prior to that.

Bwana 10-07-2012 03:50 PM

Did his head take a ground shot? The 1st part of the clip doesn't even look like he took a head shot.

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/imported_as...led_medium.gif

Deberg_1990 10-07-2012 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 8988927)
[Winston said in the seven years he’s played in the NFL, it’s the first time he’s seen a quarterback cheered when injured at home.

Please.......

R8RFAN 10-07-2012 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana (Post 8988935)
Did his head take a ground shot? The 1st part of the clip doesn't even look like he took a head shot.

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/imported_as...led_medium.gif

Looks like he flopped to me

Marcellus 10-07-2012 03:53 PM

If he’s not the best quarterback, he’s not the best quarterback, and that’s OK.

No it's not ****ing ok asshole. It's not ok and that is the issue!

Sassy Squatch 10-07-2012 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 8988927)
Chiefs’ Winston criticizes fans who cheered when Cassel was hurt
By RANDY COVITZ
The Kansas City Star
Chiefs offensive tackle Eric Winston chose his words carefully but ripped the fans who cheered when quarterback Matt Cassel suffered a head injury in the fourth quarter and was removed from Sunday’s 9-6 loss to the Baltimore Ravens.

“We are athletes. We are not gladiators,” Winston said. “This isn’t the Roman Coliseum. People pay their hard-earned money to come in here. I believe they can boo, they can cheer, they can do whatever they want … we’re lucky to play this game. It’s hard economic times, and they still pay the money to go to these.

“There are long-lasting ramifications to the game we play … I’ve come to the understanding I won’t live as long because I play this game. That’s OK.

“But when you cheer somebody getting knocked out, I don’t care who it is, and just so happened to be Matt Cassel, it’s 100 percent sickening. I’ve been in some rough times on some rough teams, I’ve never been so embarrassed in my life to play football, than at that moment right there.

“I get emotional about it because these guys work their butts off. Matt Cassel hasn’t done anything to you people … hasn’t done anything to the media writers who kill him, hasn’t done anything wrong to the people who come out here and cheer him. If he’s not the best quarterback, he’s not the best quarterback, and that’s OK.

“But he’s a person. And he got knocked out in a game, and we got 70,000 people cheering. Boo him all you want. Boo me all you want. Throw me under the bus. Tell me I’m doing a bad job, say I’ve got to protect him more … but if you’re one of those people who were out there cheering, or even smiled, when he got knocked out, I just want everyone to know it’s sickening and disgusting.

“Don’t blame a guy and don’t cheer for a guy (when injured) who has done everything in his power to play as good as he can for the fans. It’s sickening. I want every fan to know it. We have a lot of problems as a society if people think that’s okay.”

Winston said in the seven years he’s played in the NFL, it’s the first time he’s seen a quarterback cheered when injured at home.

“And I’ve been on some bad teams and in some tough situations,” he said. “I know the fans are frustrated. We’re frustrated. And I understand the backup quarterback is sometimes the most popular guy on the team. I get it. But it’s not OK.”

Winston said he spoke with Cassel after the game but did not want to comment on Cassel’s condition.

“We had a private conversation … “ Winston said. “ I asked, ‘How are you feeling?’ I said some words to him, and that was it.”

Hard to disagree with that.

WilliamTheIrish 10-07-2012 03:53 PM

I could not care any less that somebody cheered his injury. I don't want a classy fan base. That shit is overrated. I want a fanbase that has cares about winning.

Today, the fans showed they cared. Now it's time for the franchise to act like they care.

KChiefer 10-07-2012 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 8988897)
Winston can kiss my ass. Maybe if he and his boys can manage to stay onside, it wouldn't be so hard to convert third downs.

Or at the very least, try to not call an impromptu presser calling out the fans that are funding your participation in record setting suckage!