ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports Lakers have fired Mike Brown (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=266414)

scho63 11-09-2012 05:54 PM

So Mike Brown got fired after just 5 games into a 82 game season with a 1-4 record.

To equate that to the Chiefs is that Romeo would have been fired at HALFTIME of the Chiefs FIRST GAME!!!!

HAHAHAHA

SAUTO 11-09-2012 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9102022)
Absolutely this.

Yep
Posted via Mobile Device

Al Bundy 11-09-2012 05:59 PM

The Detroit Pistons are what 90's basketball was.

stonedstooge 11-09-2012 06:05 PM

Old dudes were pretty damn good too and played more as a team. Dr. J still has the most beautiful athletic dunks ever made in any time period, period.

kcxiv 11-09-2012 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 9102073)
How is that any different from the 80s and 90s? Back then, only the Bulls, Lakers, Celtics, and Pistons could win a title. All the other teams were SOL. Just like now with the Lakers, Heat, Thunder, and Celtics.

but there are other teams that are really good and could actually compete Memphis proved itthe last few years. Along with the Spurs, say what you want, but Pop has 4 titles and a very good team. When the bulls get D. Rose back, they are going to be up there. You got up and coming teams like New York/Brooklyn. Philly should be good once Bynum comes back. There are talented teams out there. Portland got some great young players as does Houston.

A few teams draft and get some good free agent signings they will be able to compete. NOt saying they will win, but alot of teams that could compete.

Also, remember a few years ago there were like 8 teams in the west that had 50 game winning teams, something never done before. NBA is crazy loaded.

-King- 11-09-2012 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fruit Ninja (Post 9102205)
but there are other teams that are really good and could actually compete Memphis proved itthe last few years. Along with the Spurs, say what you want, but Pop has 4 titles and a very good team. When the bulls get D. Rose back, they are going to be up there. You got up and coming teams like New York/Brooklyn. Philly should be good once Bynum comes back. There are talented teams out there. Portland got some great young players as does Houston.

A few teams draft and get some good free agent signings they will be able to compete. NOt saying they will win, but alot of teams that could compete.

Also, remember a few years ago there were like 8 teams in the west that had 50 game winning teams, something never done before. NBA is crazy loaded.

I agree with you, but I meant the teams with a legit chance of winning the title. Outside the spurs, no other team is going to challenge the top 4.

kcxiv 11-09-2012 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 9102123)
So Mike Brown got fired after just 5 games into a 82 game season with a 1-4 record.

To equate that to the Chiefs is that Romeo would have been fired at HALFTIME of the Chiefs FIRST GAME!!!!

HAHAHAHA

its actually the 4th quarter. they had it on espn a bit ago.

When something isnt getting better they made the move. The Chiefs should do the same, they were supposed to be contenders and somehow they are the worst team in the NFL with some good talent in some key area's.

Clark needs to do the right thing. Chiefs in year 4 should be on the up and up instead they are 1 line jokes for every football personality in media.

kcxiv 11-09-2012 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 9102209)
I agree with you, but I meant the teams with a legit chance of winning the title. Outside the spurs, no other team is going to challenge the top 4.

Not this year, but them teams are young and have a chance to do that in the next few years. Thats like that pretty much for any league though. There are just elite franchises that do the right moves, then you got teams like the Chiefs and Bobcats that make the wrong choices year in and year out.

KC_Connection 11-09-2012 06:53 PM

lol Mike Brown

I'm still not sure why they didn't get rid of him in the offseason.

KC_Connection 11-09-2012 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 9102073)
How is that any different from the 80s and 90s? Back then, only the Bulls, Lakers, Celtics, and Pistons could win a title. All the other teams were SOL. Just like now with the Lakers, Heat, Thunder, and Celtics.

It is no different. Championships have always been controlled by a few select franchises. That certainly hasn't hurt the NBA game from being in as good shape as it has ever been right now.

-King- 11-09-2012 07:23 PM

My penis is tingling...

Quote:

Sources: Phil Jackson open to return
Updated: November 9, 2012, 7:30 PM ET
By Dave McMenamin | ESPNLosAngeles.com

Phil Jackson is open to returning to the NBA sidelines, according to multiple sources with knowledge of the Hall of Fame coach's thinking.

With the Los Angeles Lakers relieving Mike Brown of his coaching duties Friday morning due to a 1-4 start, Jackson could return to the Lakers for his third stint as coach of the league's glamour franchise if it wants him back.

More on the Brown firing

After two failed coaching hires, the pressure's on Lakers' VP Jim Buss to make the right choice, writes J.A. Adande. Story

A team built to contend is in turmoil and a roster full of superstars needs a coach. Who are the Lakers going to call? It better be Phil Jackson, writes Arash Markazi. Story

What's next for the Lakers? Good move or bad? Five ESPN.com NBA writers weigh in.

Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak told reporters Friday afternoon that the team's brain trust -- Kupchak along with Lakers owner Dr. Jerry Buss and executive vice president of player personnel Jim Buss -- already has put together a list of potential replacements for interim coach Bernie Bickerstaff. Among the "four or five" names on that short list is Jackson, according to a league source.

Jackson had not been contacted by the team as of Friday afternoon, however.

The all-time winningest head coach in NBA championship history with 11 titles to his name, Jackson has not coached since the 2010-11 season when he walked away from the game after the Lakers were swept out of the second round of the playoffs.

He took last season off to avoid the frustration associated with a lockout-shortened season and to improve his health. Jackson, 67, is "getting better and better," according to a source familiar with the rehabilitation process for Jackson, who underwent knee replacement surgery in March.

"He's been in tune with the Lakers' season and has kept an eye on the league," a source close to Jackson told ESPNLosAngeles.com.

Jackson's presence never has fully left the Lakers. He still frequently stops by the team's practice facility to visit his longtime girlfriend, Jeanie Buss. Kobe Bryant often quotes Jackson maxims during news conferences. Even Jackson's two elevated chairs -- one he used at home practices and one the team took on the road for away games -- are still propped up against a wall by the entrance to the training room at the practice facility.

Should Jackson return to the Lakers, league sources feel he would be interested in bringing along an assistant coach or associate head coach that he could groom to be his successor. Jackson feels like he owes much of his success to his longtime consultant Tex Winter, the architect of the Triangle offense, and he would like to pay it forward to another young coach. When Jackson spoke to Portland and Orlando about their head coaching vacancies this past offseason, a mentor arrangement was discussed in both situations, according to a source familiar with the negotiations.

The Lakers' coaching search is expected to be a swift one.

"It's not going to be a long process; that's for damn sure," a source told ESPNLosAngeles.com. "But they're going to do their due diligence."

Added Kupchak: "The sooner the better. We don't have a timetable, quite frankly, because this happened so quickly."

Although Jackson values the process of going through a full training camp when taking over a team, a source close to the coach said that could be mitigated with this current Lakers' group because Jackson would be joining it with pre-existing familiarity with the roster, namely Bryant, Pau Gasol and Metta World Peace, whom he coached to a championship in 2010.

Jackson is in Los Angeles and was seen sporting a mustache, the same look he went with when the Lakers first hired him in 1999, at a recent dinner.
espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/8612254/phil-jackson-open-nba-coaching-return-sources-say

Quote:

Dwight Howard has told the Los Angeles Lakers he wants them to bring back Phil Jackson as coach,’ a source close to the team tells SheridanHoops.com.

(Jerry) Buss’ son, Jim, is expected to be the person who makes the ultimate decision on who the next coach will be, and the source who spoke to SheridanHoops made it clear that Buss is aware of Howard’s wishes. It remains unclear if Jackson would be interested, but he retains a close relationship with Kobe Bryant and Pau Gasol — two of the players he coached in Los Angeles before leaving the team after the 2010-11 season.
http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2012/11...-phil-jackson/

tk13 11-09-2012 07:31 PM

I want to say I can't believe that, but I can. One of these years the Lakers aren't going to be able to drag Jackson out of retirement for the 14th time to save them.

L.A. Chieffan 11-09-2012 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 9102314)
I want to say I can't believe that, but I can. One of these years the Lakers aren't going to be able to drag Jackson out of retirement for the 14th time to save them.

Maybe Pat Riley will be available.

okcchief 11-09-2012 08:46 PM

My feeling when I first heard this news is Phil is coming back. No way they make the move this early if its not him. I'm not sure if he can make it work. The starters don't seem to fit together and they have no bench. If anyone can make anything work is definitely the Zen Master though. Couldn't make a better hire.

The Bad Guy 11-09-2012 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okcchief (Post 9102466)
My feeling when I first heard this news is Phil is coming back. No way they make the move this early if its not him. I'm not sure if he can make it work. The starters don't seem to fit together and they have no bench. If anyone can make anything work is definitely the Zen Master though. Couldn't make a better hire.

See, I don't agree they have no bench.

Brown couldn't use the bench to save his life. He buried the only shooter he had for no real good reason in Meeks. Jamison needed more minutes. Hill isn't a bad big backup. The backup PG is a mess, but they have depth in some areas.

Brown's misuse was equally as criminal as his Princeton offense idea.

It's either going to be Phil or D'Antoni, but I have my doubts about MD. I think Phil's first year in LA, he had a lot more mismatched pieces with Glen Rice in the triangle than he would with this unit. Phil loves Howard as is evident every time he talks about him. Gasol can definitely play in it. The real question is Nash, but Phil's a smart enough guy to adjust things to make it work.

It'll be an interesting 48 hours. everything I've read says a coach will be hired far sooner than anyone realizes.

okcchief 11-09-2012 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9102535)
See, I don't agree they have no bench.

Brown couldn't use the bench to save his life. He buried the only shooter he had for no real good reason in Meeks. Jamison needed more minutes. Hill isn't a bad big backup. The backup PG is a mess, but they have depth in some areas.

Brown's misuse was equally as criminal as his Princeton offense idea.

It's either going to be Phil or D'Antoni, but I have my doubts about MD. I think Phil's first year in LA, he had a lot more mismatched pieces with Glen Rice in the triangle than he would with this unit. Phil loves Howard as is evident every time he talks about him. Gasol can definitely play in it. The real question is Nash, but Phil's a smart enough guy to adjust things to make it work.

It'll be an interesting 48 hours. everything I've read says a coach will be hired far sooner than anyone realizes.

You know more about the Lakers than I do so I trust your opinion. I have no doubts Jackson will get the max out of the team if the sources are correct.

If whoever takes this team deep in the playoffs Brown might be lucky to get a WNBA job.

No matter who they hire they are most likely better than Scott Brooks :(

okcchief 11-09-2012 09:34 PM

I honestly think Phil agreed to take the job today. They'll probably announce it tomorrow.

KC_Connection 11-09-2012 09:39 PM

Doubt the Lakers do this so quickly unless Phil was coming back, yeah.

The Bad Guy 11-09-2012 11:00 PM

Reports are he's contacted Cleamons, Rambis about a return. Hamblen they say is staying retired.

okcchief 11-09-2012 11:17 PM

If Phil wants it I can't imagine there would be a decision to be made.

ShowtimeSBMVP 11-10-2012 01:20 PM

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA

As Lakers meet w/ Phil Jackson today, they've declined meetings w/ any other candidates, source says. "They're all in on Phil," source says.
Retw

BossChief 11-10-2012 01:25 PM

Phil Jackson is about to get paid like Michael Jordan.

Man, wouldn't it be nice if the Chiefs cared about winning that much?

DaKCMan AP 11-12-2012 07:34 AM

Chris Broussard @Chris_Broussard
Lakers insist they chose D'Antoni over Phil. Say triangle offense similar to Princeton and would not have been good fit for roster.

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter
Lakers have hired Mike D'Antoni, signing the former coach of the Suns and Knicks to a four-year contract.

ROFL

WhiteWhale 11-12-2012 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 9101944)
I actually agree that people underrate the talent in the NBA today... there's some great players and teams out there.

Still, on the flipside, people act like George Mikan played in the 90s or something. There isn't a guy in the league that could guard 1994 Shaq. David Robinson was a tremendous athlete. Clyde Drexler, Karl Malone, etc... it goes back to the Dream Team arguments this summer. Maybe the current team would win, but not because they played 1950s basketball in the 90s.
Posted via Mobile Device

Depends on where you look.

The current NBA guard talent is unreal. Especially at the point guard position, and largely because the NBA outlawed hand checking so Micheal Jordan could be even more dominant which has led to point guards becoming scorers.

Big men? Please. The big man talent in the NBA in 1994 would kill the current NBA. NBA had loads of great defensive big men in the 90's. Rik Smits would kick ass in today's NBA and he was just a solid/average big man. A guy like Hakeem would be unstoppable.

BlackHelicopters 11-12-2012 07:46 AM

Phil Jackson, after taking his 14th bong hit, had no comment.

Sure-Oz 11-12-2012 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 9108413)
Chris Broussard @Chris_Broussard
Lakers insist they chose D'Antoni over Phil. Say triangle offense similar to Princeton and would not have been good fit for roster.

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter
Lakers have hired Mike D'Antoni, signing the former coach of the Suns and Knicks to a four-year contract.

ROFL

They didn't open the vault to Jackson it sounds like...ouch

Sure-Oz 11-12-2012 07:51 AM

Mike D'Antoni, and not Phil Jackson, will become the new coach of the Lakers, and has signed a four-year deal with the team.
Phil Jackson was "asking for the moon," according to Mike Bresnahan's tweet, and the Lakers have decided to go with D'Antoni instead. He has a storied history with Steve Nash and is a pick-and-roll master, which should mean big things for both Nash and Dwight Howard. This news is quite shocking, as only an hour ago it appeared that Jackson would be taking the reins. D'Antoni is coming off knee surgery, so it's still unclear as to when he will take over, but he's expected to join the team by the end of the week. The Lakers' brief coaching search is (mercifully) over. Nov 12 - 2:54 AM
Source: Mike Bresnahan on Twitter

okcchief 11-12-2012 08:32 AM

I don't really understand the hire. Not a big D'Antoni fan at all. I guess we'll find out.

durtyrute 11-12-2012 08:37 AM

They go from Phil, to Brown, to this ****ing guy. Weren't his teams notorious for up tempo Offense mixed with horrendous D?

Brooklyn 11-12-2012 08:38 AM

Coach Mike is a charlatan and a fool. Take it from me, I suffered through many years of him coaching my Knicks. Yes, how sad is it that one person has to be a fan of the Knicks and Chiefs? I'm a Mets fan too, so yeah, just a glutton for punishment.

Anyways, he has some plus individual defenders on this Lakers team, but his team D schemes are terrible. His timeout management and substitution patterns are also game killers. If you are a Lakers fan, one thing you will grow to hate is watching your team be up by at least a possession with a foul to give, and Mike telling the team specifically not to use it under any circumstance. He's the only coach I've ever seen who berated a player for not taking a three pointer. He'll also ride Nash into the ground as soon as possible. My bold prediction, 'Twan leads the NBA in three point attempts for hte month of December.

Any Lakers fan care to reunite Amare and Nash? I'll gladly send you that brokedick in exchange for Gasol.

Oh. another thing...this prick laughs at EVERYTHING. He never takes losses seriously, and constantly throws his players under the bus. No matter what the situation is and regardless of how bad a loss is, he will still have this smug smile and be cracking up about it in the press.

L.A. Chieffan 11-12-2012 09:47 AM

I think when Phil demanded a cut of the franchise then things turned bad

KC native 11-12-2012 10:14 AM

ROFL Fakers are going to suck until aD'antoni is fired.

DJ's left nut 11-12-2012 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 9108428)
They didn't open the vault to Jackson it sounds like...ouch

Kinda sounds like it.

Staples is going to sell out one way or the other, with or without a couple more titles. Meanwhile, Jackson was probably looking for about $10 million/season (which is still a cut from his prior $12 million salary).

Brown just took a deal at $4 million/season; almost cheap by today's standards.

It was a money thing, had to be. That or Little Buss just couldn't bring himself to go back to his daddy's pet coach (and there's a good chance of that as well).

In either event, not a wise decision at all.

L.A. Chieffan 11-12-2012 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9108769)
Kinda sounds like it.

Staples is going to sell out one way or the other, with or without a couple more titles. Meanwhile, Jackson was probably looking for about $10 million/season (which is still a cut from his prior $12 million salary).

It was a money thing, had to be. That or Little Buss just couldn't bring himself to go back to his daddy's pet coach (and there's a good chance of that as well).

He was asking for an ownership stake in the Lakers, that shit won't fly.

As much as I love Phil lets not forget how his last season ended here not two years ago.

DJ's left nut 11-12-2012 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A. Chieffan (Post 9108790)
He was asking for an ownership stake in the Lakers, that shit won't fly.

As much as I love Phil lets not forget how his last season ended here not two years ago.

Phil's done a hell of a lot more for the Lakers than Magic had done when they gave Magic his ownership share.

They gave it to Magic for no other reason than his status as a 'superfan' and former player.

If Magic deserved a share, so does Phil.

L.A. Chieffan 11-12-2012 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9108796)
Phil's done a hell of a lot more for the Lakers than Magic had done when they gave Magic his ownership share.

They gave it to Magic for no other reason than his status as a 'superfan' and former player.

If Magic deserved a share, so does Phil.

ROFL Did you just say Phil has done more for the Lakers than Magic?

vailpass 11-12-2012 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by durtyrute (Post 9108506)
They go from Phil, to Brown, to this ****ing guy. Weren't his teams notorious for up tempo Offense mixed with horrendous D?

Yep. I went to a few Suns games when D'toni was coach. Was like watching the Harlem Globetrotters without the confetti bucket.

vailpass 11-12-2012 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9108769)
Kinda sounds like it.

Could/would the new guys learn the triangle well enough in a single season to run it to a ring?

L.A. Chieffan 11-12-2012 10:52 AM

Statistically D'antoni's teams have middle of the pack defenses. They're not as horrible as people like to think

vailpass 11-12-2012 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A. Chieffan (Post 9108822)
Statistically D'antoni's teams have middle of the pack defenses. They're not as horrible as people like to think

:homer:

DaKCMan AP 11-12-2012 11:04 AM

Quote:

D'Antoni coached team's league rank in opponent's PPG:
1998 Den 28th (of 29 teams)
2003 Phx 26th (of 29 teams)
2004 Phx 30th
2005 Phx 28th
2006 Phx 23rd
2007 Phx 25th
2008 NYK 28th
2009 NYK 28th
2010 NYK 28th

L.A. Chieffan 11-12-2012 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 9108844)
D'Antoni coached team's league rank in opponent's PPG:
1998 Den 28th (of 29 teams)
2003 Phx 26th (of 29 teams)
2004 Phx 30th
2005 Phx 28th
2006 Phx 23rd
2007 Phx 25th
2008 NYK 28th
2009 NYK 28th
2010 NYK 28th

Most people don't even look at PPG anymore... do you still use RBIs as the determining factor on who is the best hitter in baseball?

DJ's left nut 11-12-2012 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A. Chieffan (Post 9108801)
ROFL Did you just say Phil has done more for the Lakers than Magic?

Magic hasn't done shit for the Lakers since 1992.

The Lakers gave him his ownership interest well after that. They gave it to him as nothing more than a good will gesture. There was no additional consideration for it.

It's the Lakers that made the fool move of doling out ownership stakes for poops and grins. They set the precedent, they shouldn't be surprised when the guy that brought them 5 championships asks for a cut as well.

Phil's done far more for the franchise than the average Laker fan wants to admit and it's not at all unreasonable for him to demand a seat at the table in exchange for returning to the pressure cooker of LA.

DJ's left nut 11-12-2012 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 9108817)
Could/would the new guys learn the triangle well enough in a single season to run it to a ring?

Kobe, Pau and Artest know it well enough to be the major components to the flow of the offense. Nash is a genius, he'd have picked it up. The only question is Howard and frankly Howard is a good enough rebounder/garbage man that he'd be effective in any system. He's also proven to be a fairly adept passer. I think he'd have fit into the Tri exceptionally well and would've learned his role in it quickly enough.

I'd imagine the bench would really struggle with it, though. I'll concede that. They'd have a second unit with very little cohesion. They could really never take Kobe and Pau off the floor at the same time. If they did, they'd have to have Nash out there to just run some playground sets and try to keep the game close.

vailpass 11-12-2012 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A. Chieffan (Post 9108854)
Most people don't even look at PPG anymore... do you still use RBIs as the determining factor on who is the best hitter in baseball?

Good point. D'toni's scheme is built around winning by scoring more, not by limiting opponent's score.

vailpass 11-12-2012 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9108894)
Kobe, Pau and Artest know it well enough to be the major components to the flow of the offense. Nash is a genius, he'd have picked it up. The only question is Howard and frankly Howard is a good enough rebounder/garbage man that he'd be effective in any system. He's also proven to be a fairly adept passer. I think he'd have fit into the Tri exceptionally well and would've learned his role in it quickly enough.

I'd imagine the bench would really struggle with it, though. I'll concede that. They'd have a second unit with very little cohesion. They could really never take Kobe and Pau off the floor at the same time. If they did, they'd have to have Nash out there to just run some playground sets and try to keep the game close.

Thanks. I watched Tex & Phil install the triangle with the Bulls and it did not happen overnight.
Without Tex, with two new starters, on a team that has only a year maybe two because of age, it just seems to me that the triangle is a better long term solution but D'toni fits a team with this small of a window better.
:shrug:

L.A. Chieffan 11-12-2012 11:28 AM

You don't have to be a genius to learn the triangle but the triangle makes a pg irrelevant. We'd have arguably the best PG in the game the last 15 years standing around wishing he was in Toronto.

vailpass 11-12-2012 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A. Chieffan (Post 9108910)
You don't have to be a genius to learn the triangle but the triangle makes a pg irrelevant. We'd have arguably the best PG in the game the last 15 years standing around wishing he was in Toronto.

I like Nash a lot, one of the only reasons I've watched any NBA for the last 10 years or so.
But he was a shell of his former self here in PHX the last 2 years. His back is almost gone.

DJ's left nut 11-12-2012 11:42 AM

Quote:

The Tri can make the PG irrelevant, but doesn't have to.

All you do is essentially use Kobe in a SF role, rather than have him bringing the ball up. If you have Nash as the primary facilitator in the tri, you'd have a very dangerous setup with Kobe in wings cutting without the ball.

The only reason PG was irrelevant under the Triangle as we know it, is we know it as being run by Kobe and Jordan; guys that dominated the ball. That offense would absolutely work well with Nash facilitating and Kobe flashing through the wings.

L.A. Chieffan 11-12-2012 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9108932)
The Tri can make the PG irrelevant, but doesn't have to.

All you do is essentially use Kobe in a SF role, rather than have him bringing the ball up. If you have Nash as the primary facilitator in the tri, you'd have a very dangerous setup with Kobe in wings cutting without the ball.

The only reason PG was irrelevant under the Triangle as we know it, is we know it as being run by Kobe and Jordan; guys that dominated the ball. That offense would absolutely work well with Nash facilitating and Kobe flashing through the wings.

That's not the triangle that's the Princeton which we just got rid of

Brooklyn 11-12-2012 11:58 AM

Dwight will be garbage under Mike. His philosophy with the center is to be in position to get out on the fast break, not protect the rim. He'll keep him out on the wing chucking threes. That's how he likes his big men.

DJ's left nut 11-12-2012 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A. Chieffan (Post 9108950)
That's not the triangle that's the Princeton which we just got rid of

The Triangle takes many of the same principles of the Princeton and actually develops them.

The Tri is an evolutionary Princeton concept. It's what the Princeton should be but isn't (because slow, unathletic, part-time athletes were the guys that used it in the past).

It's a watered down triangle, so to speak. When you take the best athletes in the world, with nothing but basketball to do all day and have them run the Princeton, it's giving Wolfgang Puck the task of grilling hot dogs.

The Triangle, on the other hand, is a Filet. It can absolutely utilize the PG position if you have guys that believe in it. The Lakers didn't believe in the Princeton system because it was a massive step back for the holdovers. Moreover, it's easily diagnosed and defended. I'm not even convinced that the Lakers 'didn't get it'; I think it's just too easy a system for this level and it was exposed as such.

DaKCMan AP 11-12-2012 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9108976)
When you take the best athletes in the world, with nothing but basketball to do all day and have them run the Princeton, it's giving Wolfgang Puck the task of grilling hot dogs.

Are we talking Hebrew National/Nathan's or Ball Park?

mcaj22 11-12-2012 12:08 PM

Quote:

he has not been the best PG in the game the last 15 years

lol

DJ's left nut 11-12-2012 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brooklyn (Post 9108965)
Dwight will be garbage under Mike. His philosophy with the center is to be in position to get out on the fast break, not protect the rim. He'll keep him out on the wing chucking threes. That's how he likes his big men.

Dwight Howard could also end up as Shawn Marion on Hulk juice.

Sure, there's a chance it goes poorly, I won't deny it. But it could also go extremely well. Anyone that claims to know either way is just guessing.

We've never seen D'Antoni use a guy with Howards athleticism.

And for the record, Stoudamire shot a total of 66 3-pointers in 364 games under D'Antoni (31 of them in Stoudamire's last year, when he was just being a petulant shit and chucking for giggles) while in PHX. Howard's going to be used in a substantially similar fashion, I would imagine. If you'll recall, Stoudamire was a force under the hoop for several years. Hell, Amare was even putting up 25 PPG in NY for a season when he was a shell of his PHX self.

Howard has more ability than Stoudamire ever did.

Dial it down a bit, sport. I feel like you're just something of a jilted Knicks fan at this point.

I think this is a mediocre hire at best, but only because the option was a much better one. Had Phil Jackson declined all interest in the Lakers, D'Antoni would have been seen as a nice replacement for Brown.

He's not Phil Jackson, but D'Antoni is still among the better basketball coaches out there.

vailpass 11-12-2012 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 9108985)

Great point.
Nathan's or bust at my house. HN will do in a pinch.

L.A. Chieffan 11-12-2012 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9108987)
he has not been the best PG in the game the last 15 years

lol

Ok ten years

DJ's left nut 11-12-2012 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 9108985)

The Princeton Offense?

That's Bar S shit right there.

I never understood why they decided it would be a good idea to take a simple, slow offense designed to maximize the talents of undersized white guys with limited time to learn it, and implement it in the NBA.

lcarus 11-12-2012 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okcchief (Post 9102552)
You know more about the Lakers than I do so I trust your opinion. I have no doubts Jackson will get the max out of the team if the sources are correct.

If whoever takes this team deep in the playoffs Brown might be lucky to get a WNBA job.

No matter who they hire they are most likely better than Scott Brooks :(

Brown will be an assistant coach somewhere like Minnesota or Milwaukee for the rest of his career.

DaKCMan AP 11-12-2012 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9109004)
The Princeton Offense?

That's Bar S shit right there.

I never understood why they decided it would be a good idea to take a simple, slow offense designed to maximize the talents of undersized white guys with limited time to learn it, and implement it in the NBA.

So if you took Bar S hot dogs, but had Wolfgang Puck prepare them, would they be > or < than Nathan's hot dogs?

DaKCMan AP 11-12-2012 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcarus (Post 9109006)
Brown will be an assistant coach somewhere like Minnesota or Milwaukee for the rest of his career.

I'd take that gig.

DJ's left nut 11-12-2012 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 9109011)
So if you took Bar S hot dogs, but had Wolfgang Puck prepare them, would they be > or < than Nathan's hot dogs?

They would still be slow white guys taking 14 foot jumpers.

DaKCMan AP 11-12-2012 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9109021)
They would still be slow white guys taking 14 foot jumpers.

So definitely Nathan's or Hebrew National?

lcarus 11-12-2012 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 9109016)
I'd take that gig.

Me too

lcarus 11-12-2012 12:28 PM

So what I've heard is that Phil wants to come back for 10 million a season, but doesn't want to travel to coach away games? Would that include the playoffs? That seems like a pretty steep request, to not want to be there for half their games.

DJ's left nut 11-12-2012 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcarus (Post 9109040)
So what I've heard is that Phil wants to come back for 10 million a season, but doesn't want to travel to coach away games? Would that include the playoffs? That seems like a pretty steep request, to not want to be there for half their games.

I'd be a little wary of 'the reports' right now.

Guys like Steve Broussard are going to do everything they can to not look like idiots that jumped the gun. Now they're going to try to paint a narrative of Phil Jackson just wanting way too much and that's what submarined it.

There's no way Jackson refused to coach for any away games and there's most certainly no way he said he wouldn't coach playoff games. At worse he would've asked for the travel schedule he had when he had his hip surgery which still had him coaching 70(ish) games.

Beware Broussard and the rest that have some ass to cover right now.

DJ's left nut 11-12-2012 01:51 PM

Here's a good article on the 'backlash' here:

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...ead-the-lakers

Spoiler!

Again, D'Antoni may not be Jackson, but he's still a good coach and clearly the 2nd best option available. He could really do well with this team, especially with a guy like Howard that is essentially Stoudamire's equal offensively with a far higher level of commitment to the defensive side of the spectrum.

Give the hire some time. It's not Jackson, but it's still a good get.

vailpass 11-12-2012 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9109320)
I'd be a little wary of 'the reports' right now.

Guys like Steve Broussard are going to do everything they can to not look like idiots that jumped the gun. Now they're going to try to paint a narrative of Phil Jackson just wanting way too much and that's what submarined it.

There's no way Jackson refused to coach for any away games and there's most certainly no way he said he wouldn't coach playoff games. At worse he would've asked for the travel schedule he had when he had his hip surgery which still had him coaching 70(ish) games.

Beware Broussard and the rest that have some ass to cover right now.

LA Reporter chick on Dan Patrick Show today said it's all smoke to get LA fan not to give the Lakers heat for not picking up Phil, that in fact Lakers never got to the money talking phase with Phil and wanted D'toni as the better short-term option.

-King- 11-12-2012 02:19 PM

ESPN said that Phil was very shocked when he learned D'Antoni got the job.

I'd say it's half and half Phil asking for a lot and Jim Buss trying to distance himself from Phil.

I actually don't mind D'Antoni. We have enough defensive talent that we should be decent, and he'll make Nash/Howard/Pau shine in the pick and roll.

Mother****erJones 11-12-2012 02:57 PM

Lakers are very stupid hahah!! Im a long time bulls fan. Should've never let Phil leave. Do whatever it took to keep him. D'Antoni's system wont win a championship. Phil has what 10?

L.A. Chieffan 11-12-2012 03:10 PM

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--la...-11051709.html

Good woj article, Phil didn't just ask for every damn thing under the sun he wanted to embarrass Buss too

DJ's left nut 11-12-2012 03:51 PM

Again, I'd take absolutely everything that's coming out right now with a huge grain of salt.

There are a lot of very powerful, well connected people that are going to try to save face both as parties and as 3rd parties (reporters, etc...).

I'd say that the best you're going to get in any article here is a half truth.

Bottom line: The Lakers got a good coach that isn't quite as good as Jackson but is a HELL of a lot better than Brown. Hell, he's better than Spoelstra. This is ultimately a positive development when all is said and done for the Lakers.

Simply Red 11-14-2012 01:06 AM

Quote:

I think he'll do well there.

Simply Red 11-14-2012 01:17 AM

Dantoni is dope.

kcxiv 11-14-2012 02:43 AM

i already got my D'Antoni pringles avatar ready to go. haha