ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Peter King coaching candidates for 2013 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267068)

DaneMcCloud 11-26-2012 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9154323)
Hire a good GM. Hire Norv Turner for OC and draft Geno Smith. Hire the best head coach willing to work with a strong-minded offensive coordinator like Norv Turner unless that guy is Chip Kelly, but I doubt he comes here.

David Shaw
Jay Gruden
Ray Horton
Gus Bradley
Chip Kelly (long shot)

I don't trust Cowher to not hire a crony like Chan Gailey. A big hell no to Arians.

**** Norv Turner with a rusty old dildo

chiefzilla1501 11-26-2012 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9154336)
**** Norv Turner with a rusty old dildo

Norv Turner is a terrific QBs coach, a great OC (too much of a player's coach to be a head coach), and his offense is perfect for Geno. It will give Geno tremendous o-line blocking, allow Geno to air it out, and will build on his strengths as an accurate QB.

DaneMcCloud 11-26-2012 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9154366)
Norv Turner is a terrific QBs coach, a great OC (too much of a player's coach to be a head coach), and his offense is perfect for Geno. It will give Geno tremendous o-line blocking, allow Geno to air it out, and will build on his strengths as an accurate QB.

Norv Turner, like Andy Reid, needs at least a one year sabbatical from the NFL.

Philip Rivers has regressed, big time, his offenses have sucked and lacked imagination for years, and the Chiefs can find far better alternatives.

**** Norv Turner and **** you.

HonestChieffan 11-26-2012 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9153269)
If Pioli remains in KC, hes probably the only option on that list.

Perfect fit for Pioli. We are so screwed

chiefzilla1501 11-26-2012 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9154387)

Philip Rivers has regressed, big time, his offenses have sucked and lacked imagination for years, and the Chiefs can find far better alternatives.

Norv is a shitty motivator, AJ Smith has made shitty personnel moves, and Philip Rivers/Gates haven't looked 100% lately (in addition to losing LT, Sproles, Vincent Jackson and replacing pro bowl talent with shitty players).

His scheme isn't obsolete. His talent has gotten shitty and he isn't the disciplinary coach to get everything out of these guys anyway.

DaneMcCloud 11-26-2012 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9154422)
Norv is a shitty motivator.

He isn't the disciplinary coach to get everything out of these guys anyway.

Sounds just like current coaching staff.

Once again, **** Norv Turner.

Titty Meat 11-26-2012 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9154387)

ROFL

chiefzilla1501 11-26-2012 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9154430)
Sounds just like current coaching staff.

Once again, **** Norv Turner.

I was the most vocal critic of Romeo because he was a player's coach. I ripped on the Norv hiring even when the Chargers were winning for the same reason. I'm ripping on Arians because he will do the same exact thing.

If you have a disciplinary head coach which is a must for the Chiefs, it doesn't matter if your coordinators aren't motivators. As long as they can scheme and know how to coach fundamentals, and Norv is terrific at both.

Frankie 11-26-2012 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9154181)
Sims, Freeman, Surtain, Kendrick Bell, Shawn Barber, William Bartee, Siavii, Downing and so on were all brought in to improve the defense, yet each and every player was a failure.

This list is enough to drive anybody to deep clinical depression.

Rams Fan 11-26-2012 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9154202)
GM with a fantastic resume and draft record, who drafts Geno Smith and hires an offensive-minded head coach with loads of experience in coaching QBs.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/19...ell_ringer.gif

Pat Shurmur? ;)

Mike Sullivan, TB, for reals.

Easy 6 11-26-2012 06:19 PM

I just cant get 100% behind some college n00b, it just seems like such a gamble at a critical spot.

ed, herp* Kelly is very intriguing, but how long could the gimmick work before the big boy DC's deconstructed it?

Schiano is starting to look like an exception, but meh... i pretty much want a guy who already knows his way around the NFL.

But that list of active pro guys doesnt exactly light my fire either, Clark needs to make the perilous journey to the Oracle at Delphi to get these next two decisions right.

Chief Roundup 11-26-2012 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 9154652)
Though not on the list, Kelly is very intriguing, but how long could the gimmick work before the big boy DC's deconstructed it?

Which Kelly is not on the list? Chip and Brian are there.

The Franchise 11-26-2012 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 9154676)

Can't be Brian.....he doesn't run a gimmick offense.

Easy 6 11-26-2012 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 9154676)

Herped, fixed :D

BossChief 11-26-2012 07:03 PM

Another reason Cowher would be a damn good fit for us?

His defense would turn the notch up and get the most out of our guys and that means more possessions for Geno and less points Geno has to out up for us to win games early in his career.

Most of these defensive minded guys being talked about as a possible head coaching candidate are 4-3 guys and the means the defense would have a transitional year and Geno would probably need to score more to win games.

Tribal Warfare 11-26-2012 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9154772)

His defense would turn the notch up and get the most out of our guys and that means more possessions for Geno and less points Geno has to out up for us to win games early in his career.

Most of these defensive minded guys being talked about as a possible head coaching candidate are 4-3 guys and the means the defense would have a transitional year and Geno would probably need to score more to win games.

Okay, we've been talking about him as HC candidate for past few years but is there any indication that he wants to leave his cushy CBS job?

chiefzilla1501 11-26-2012 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9154772)

Would you feel comfortable with the Cowher hire if Cowher ran his typical smash mouth, run-first offense? Because I could easily see him favor a crony OC like Gailey or Mularkey (if both of them are fired).

Bigger point is that Ray Horton and Gus Bradley both run schemes that fit the Chiefs' personnel. If not, you still have Rex Ryan out there or John Pagano or Rob Ryan. Quite a few 3-4 coaches out there.

Pasta Little Brioni 11-26-2012 07:16 PM

Mike f'n McCoy?? Seriously??? LMAO OMGz Peyton-led offense good!!!

BossChief 11-26-2012 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9154821)
Would you feel comfortable with the Cowher hire if Cowher ran his typical smash mouth, run-first offense? Because I could easily see him favor a crony OC like Gailey or Mularkey (if both of them are fired).

Bigger point is that Ray Horton and Gus Bradley both run schemes that fit the Chiefs' personnel. If not, you still have Rex Ryan out there or John Pagano or Rob Ryan. Quite a few 3-4 coaches out there.

I'd JIMP to have Cowher as hc and Gailey as the OC with Geno Smith as the QB. From there let BC pick a DC and have input on who we would hire as GM and let's roll!

Yeah, you heard me right...I'd hire Bill before a GM is named.

Seriously.

Pasta Little Brioni 11-26-2012 07:29 PM

This offseason has plenty of potential for sticky CP member tighty whities...

the Talking Can 11-26-2012 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9154821)

and rivera

okcchief 11-26-2012 07:31 PM

David Shaw would be ****ing great!

BossChief 11-26-2012 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 9154893)
and rivera

I posted a few months ago that my preference for a new coaching staff would be
Cowher
Gailey (or Norv)
Ryan (or Rivera)

I think if we find a way to get any combination of those guys, things are gonna get better quickly.

Tombstone RJ 11-26-2012 07:39 PM

Cowher wants GM responsibilities too.

Titty Meat 11-26-2012 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 9154826)
Mike f'n McCoy?? Seriously??? LMAO OMGz Peyton-led offense good!!!

Dude he was able to adjust Denver's offense with the worst QB in the last 15 years and accomplished more in 1 season than Kansas City has since 1994.

O.city 11-26-2012 07:41 PM

I could get on board with shaw but I don't think the fan base could at this point. I think this will have to be a name type hire, although it doesn't or shouldn't have to be.

If cowher wouldn't but in the offense, I'd be fine with him. I like the dc from San Fran as well or shaw.

Titty Meat 11-26-2012 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9154941)
I could get on board with shaw but I don't think the fan base could at this point. I think this will have to be a name type hire, although it doesn't or shouldn't have to be.

If cowher wouldn't but in the offense, I'd be fine with him. I like the dc from San Fran as well or shaw.

**** the fanbase they are one of the most clueless in the NFL.

chiefzilla1501 11-26-2012 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9154877)
I'd JIMP to have Cowher as hc and Gailey as the OC with Geno Smith as the QB. From there let BC pick a DC and have input on who we would hire as GM and let's roll!

Yeah, you heard me right...I'd hire Bill before a GM is named.

Seriously.

Yeah, I'd be okay with the Cowher hire as long as he opened up the offense. After umpteen years of coaching, I'm a little bit skeptical. He's not your typical Marty-ball coach in that he likes to use the run game to catch people off guard with some aggressive vertical stuff, but if his history is any indication, he's a guy who likes to use the run to set up the pass.

O.city 11-26-2012 07:51 PM

Tbh, I would like the next HC to be the ****ing HC and let the coordinators coordinate

the Talking Can 11-26-2012 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9154910)
I posted a few months ago that my preference for a new coaching staff would be
Cowher
Gailey (or Norv)
Ryan (or Rivera)

I think if we find a way to get any combination of those guys, things are gonna get better quickly.

still not super psyched about cowher, but i'd reunite norv and rivera in a heart beat...

Anyong Bluth 11-27-2012 12:21 AM

Kyle Shanahan...? The kid is like 32-33. I dont see any NFL team turning the keys to a kid at this point regardless of who his dad is? Maybe down the road but I'd say that's AT LEAST 5 years down the road..

ShowtimeSBMVP 11-27-2012 06:52 PM

Peter King ‏@SI_PeterKing

RT @ChuckParker648: Ferentz have a realistic shot at any of the NFL vacancies? ... If Pioli gets to pick 1 more coach, bet he does.

Hammock Parties 11-27-2012 06:53 PM

**** you, Peter King. You fat Boston Shill.

Go choke on some clam chowder.

There is no more clueless, worthless national sportswriter.

O.city 11-27-2012 06:54 PM

I can't believe it's actually a thought that pioli should keep his job. Amazing.

**** this franchise of shitdicks

If your team sets records for being this shitty, goes 1-15 and has the first overall pick, it doesn't deserve to have fans

RunKC 11-27-2012 07:34 PM

I have no doubt in my mind that if Clark keeps Pioli's sorry ass around here and Romeo retires, Kirk Ferentz is our coach in 2013.
:banghead:

htismaqe 11-27-2012 08:16 PM

ROFL

Peter King is a ****ing moron.

Kirk Ferentz? In KC?

ROFL ROFL ROFL

O.city 11-27-2012 08:17 PM

I'm just amazed that its possible or people think its possible pioli keeps his job

Titty Meat 11-27-2012 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9158018)
ROFL

Peter King is a ****ing moron.

Kirk Ferentz? In KC?

ROFL ROFL ROFL

Stanzi as the starter run Hillis between the guards 3 times punt play good defense. Exciting!

Titty Meat 11-27-2012 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9158024)
I'm just amazed that its possible or people think its possible pioli keeps his job

Clark Hunt didn't want to fire Herm Edwards so anything is possible.

Dayze 11-27-2012 09:26 PM

I Pioli is here, I'm confident he'll **** up the HC pick regardless. But I'd bet my weiner it would be Ferenz

BossChief 11-27-2012 11:08 PM

Ferentz isn't even in my top 10 at this point, but the guy wouldn't be a terrible hire. He has consistently taken 2 and 3 talent and made the most of them and is a winner.

If we are gonna go the college coach route, he would be in my top three...

Hammock Parties 11-27-2012 11:14 PM

FERENTZ

STANZI

MOEAKI

HAWKEYETRON ASSEMBLE

bevischief 11-27-2012 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9153923)
Don't really care at this point. We should hire a GM and coach who don't ****ing suck. That's my opinion.

This.

bevischief 11-27-2012 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9154041)
My list, as of today, is the following:

1. Bruce Arians
2. David Shaw
3. Vic Fangio

Arians has done an amazing job with a rookie QB and a roster that's been nearly completely turned over.

David Shaw hasn't missed a beat since Harbaugh left for San Francisco and has his team playing in the Pac-12 Championship game without Andrew Luck.

Vic Fangio is coordinating possibly the best defense in the NFL. And while the Chiefs don't have the equivalent inside backers to Ahmad Brooks and Patrick Willis, they have Hali, Houston and Johnson, not to mention Flowers, Poe and Berry. I have to think that he'd have the defense in the Top Five in no time.

I'd also like to believe that Fangio understands the importance of a Franchise QB, having spent enough time with Harbaugh, Luck, Smith and now Kaepernick to understand it's necessary to win consistently.

I would be very happy with any of those three as head coach of the 2013 Chiefs.

I could live with this.

RunKC 11-27-2012 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9158488)
Ferentz isn't even in my top 10 at this point, but the guy wouldn't be a terrible hire. He has consistently taken 2 and 3 talent and made the most of them and is a winner.

If we are gonna go the college coach route, he would be in my top three...

Oh boy. Kirk Ferentz is horrible. He would be a horrible decision.

IMO top 3 college coaches.

1. David Shaw
2. Chip Kelly
3. Brian Kelly

Frankie 11-27-2012 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 9158502)
FERENTZ

STANZI

MOEAKI

HAWKEYETRON ASSEMBLE

Out of the Patriots Way and straight into the Hawkeyes Way. Figures.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9158526)
Oh boy. Kirk Ferentz is horrible. He would be a horrible decision.

IMO top 3 college coaches.

1. David Shaw
2. Chip Kelly
3. Brian Kelly

Chip Kelly, to the best of my knowledge, has NOT had any connection to the NFL. No thanks.

David Shaw or bust IMO, if we go the college coach route.

Sorter 11-27-2012 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie (Post 9158540)
Out of the Patriots Way and straight into the Hawkeyes Way. Figures.

Chip Kelly, to the best of my knowledge, has NOT had any connection to the NFL. No thanks.

He helped the Pats with their no huddle this year :shrugs:

DaneMcCloud 11-27-2012 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie (Post 9158540)

I think Bill O'Brien has done a phenomenal job in State College and would welcome him with open arms, but I seriously doubt he leaves Penn State this year.

He's the only other guy I'd trust at this point besides Shaw.

EMG58 11-27-2012 11:32 PM

I see some wanting McCoy and some not wanting anything to do with him. A lot of Bronco fans hate him but hes very under appreciated for what hes done. Built an offense in the middle of the season that was made to fit Tebow and was able to get us some wins. Then we got Manning and he was able to combine the Manning Colts offense with our terminology and the use of 2 back system that he never did in Indy.

Whats great about him is he adapts to the player he has. He doesnt really have a type of system where he needs certain type of players to fit his system. He can build a system that will fit whatever you guys have and will give them the best chance to succeed.

The only problem I see with him is play calling. Thats the biggest thing we hate about him. But if he is able to build the system for the offense and have someone better calling the plays. He will be fine.

DaneMcCloud 11-27-2012 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9158546)
He helped the Pats with their no huddle this year :shrugs:

He actually helped them?

Bewbies 11-27-2012 11:34 PM

No to anyone from 'the tree' plz.

Frankie 11-27-2012 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9158550)
I think Bill O'Brien has done a phenomenal job in State College and would welcome him with open arms, but I seriously doubt he leaves Penn State this year.

He's the only other guy I'd trust at this point besides Shaw.

I didn't mention O'Brien because I too am convinced he won't leave Penn State. Not after all that loyalty he has professed to them.

Shaw is not only my top College HC choice but very serious candidate for the top choice even when you factor in NFL assistants. After Walsh and Harbaugh I'm comfortable with getting a Stanford HC if I'm an NFL GM.

chiefzilla1501 11-27-2012 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9158556)
He actually helped them?

I heard the Pats brought him in as a consultant because Chip Kelly has an innovative system for calling plays out super quick. Helps them get the play in even quicker.

Sorter 11-27-2012 11:49 PM

Quote:

He actually helped them?

Yup. Pats have had him in a few times. Sauce: http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/20...N6J/story.html

"That’s why when Kelly walked into Gillette Stadium two years ago — and he’s been there three times total — ears perked up among the Patriots’ coaches, including Belichick.

Kelly had become friendly with former Patriots offensive coordinator Bill O’Brien while both were rising in the college ranks. The UNH coaching staff would visit Brown, where O’Brien was coaching, for pickup basketball games and to talk X’s and O’s.

Kelly told the Patriots he was moving to a no-huddle that only used one word to signify everything involved in a play.

Sideline calls take too long. Wristbands too.

One word is all that is needed.Kelly’s overall message to the Patriots: Don’t put a limit on your players’ minds; they will learn whatever you teach them.

“I was interested to hear how he did it,” Belichick said. “I would say he expanded it to a different level and it was very interesting to understand what he was doing. Certainly I’ve learned a lot from talking to Chip about his experiences with it and how he does it and his procedure and all that.”

Sorter 11-27-2012 11:51 PM

Also
"Last offseason, Patriots coaches spent time with Kelly's staff. They learned how the Ducks run their high-tempo offense with such efficiency, and found out what aspects might translate into the NFL...The improvement of the run game is partly why the Patriots have 101 first downs in the past three games, the most by any offense in a three-game span since the merger. In 60 offensive possessions, the Patriots have just four three-and-outs."

source:
http://www.kval.com/sports/Chip-Kell...173994201.html

Sorter 11-27-2012 11:53 PM

Quote:

He actually helped them?

Let me sum up. Kelly was responsible for O'Brien implementing a 1 word hurry up system that included formation, blocking, routes and snap count, which is what he runs at Oregon. The Pats I believe had him come out earlier this season or visited him (I think Kelly flew out to Boston) and went over stuff for a day or two.

BossChief 11-27-2012 11:56 PM

I think he worked with the Dolphins, too.