ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs @nfldraftscout (Matt Miller) will be on 610 from 1-2 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269046)

Sweet Daddy Hate 01-18-2013 02:40 PM

Geno is the pick. It is....what it is.

duncan_idaho 01-18-2013 02:41 PM

I've posted this many times...

Jaguars @ 2 (and 33)
Raiders @ 3
Eagles @ 4
Cardinals @ 7
Bills @8
Jets @ 9

All need a starting QB badly.

Chargers @ 11
Saints @ 15
Cowboys @ 18
Broncos @ 28
Ravens @ 29

All have either declining, aging or potentially departing QBs.

That's why it makes NO SENSE to bet on the second-best QB falling to pick No. 34 (or, really, even No. 8).

Rambozo 01-18-2013 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9331152)
So missing out on one of the top 3 QB's in the draft, when you have the ability to take your pick of the 3 before anyone else has a chance, isn't a gamble?

It's a huge gamble.

I didn't say that. I said it isn't as much of a gamble as some think. I said they will have a decent idea of where they will go and make their decisions based on that.

duncan_idaho 01-18-2013 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rambozo (Post 9331147)
You are right. The question is how big are Geno and Wilson's flaws? That's the difference between us draft geeks and the real scouts. Dorsey and Reid will have a good idea of where they should go and then allow for a rise in stock because of position. It's not as big of a gamble as you think imo.

There's not that much different between dedicated draft geeks and real scouts, honestly.

If you're talking about the lead guys that work for teams, coordinating efforts? Sure. But most scouts are just sports-obsessed guy who are willing to work hard and pay to be certified as a scout.

I should know. I worked with several of them and explored early steps in gaining certification myself. I also do some amateur college hoops scouting in the area for a few national writers.

The line between "Smart fan that pays attention and puts in the time" and "certified scout" is not as big as you think.

Chiefnj2 01-18-2013 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9331163)
There's not that much different between dedicated draft geeks and real scouts, honestly.

If you're talking about the guys that work for teams? Sure. But most scouts are just sports-obsessed guy who are willing to work hard and pay to be certified as a scout.

I should know. I worked with several of them and explored early steps in gaining certification myself. I also do some amateur college hoops scouting in the area for a few national writers.

The line between "Smart fan that pays attention and puts in the time" and "certified scout" is not as big as you think.

There is an official nfl scout certification?

ptlyon 01-18-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 9331169)

AND I AM A PHOENIX!

duncan_idaho 01-18-2013 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 9331169)

I don't know about an official NFL one. But there are multiple scouting camps you can go to, that provide a certification of sorts "i.e. "Graduate DUNCAN IDAHO School of Scouting" etc.

Easier to get into baseball ones than football, I think. But it's been a long time since I was poking around that stuff. Things might have changed.

Rambozo 01-18-2013 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9331163)

If you're talking about the lead guys that work for teams, coordinating efforts? Sure. But most scouts are just sports-obsessed guy who are willing to work hard and pay to be certified as a scout.

interesting... You should follow through with that man... That would be my dream job.

duncan_idaho 01-18-2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rambozo (Post 9331183)
interesting... You should follow through with that man... That would be my dream job.

Hours and pay are atrocious. Fun, but not worth it full time.

I did the sports journalist thing, long enough to realize that it sounds better than it actually is.

It's hard to enjoy sports when it's your job.

RustShack 01-18-2013 03:00 PM

Smith and Wilson will be long gone by the time trading up is within reasonable range you moron.

Everyone questioned the McNabb pick which turned out Ok. Geno is a better prospect.

Rausch 01-18-2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Dick Willie (Post 9331153)
Geno is the pick. It is....what it is.

Pretty much...

ptlyon 01-18-2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9331195)
Hours and pay are atrocious. Fun, but not worth it full time.

I did the sports journalist thing, long enough to realize that it sounds better than it actually is.

It's hard to enjoy sports when it's your job.

Thats why I'm not a gynecologist

Sweet Daddy Hate 01-18-2013 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustShack (Post 9331201)
Smith and Wilson will be long gone by the time trading up is within reasonable range you moron.

Everyone questioned the McNabb pick which turned out Ok. Geno is a better prospect.

Yes! This!:)

Sweet Daddy Hate 01-18-2013 03:02 PM

When we pick Smith, I might have to change my name to "Sweet Dick Geno".

Easy 6 01-18-2013 03:03 PM

"He's the best tackle i've ever seen" LMAO

Sweet Daddy Hate 01-18-2013 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 9331209)
"He's the best tackle i've ever seen" LMAO

Sweet Jesus, Miller can chug teh 'Freeze...

ptlyon 01-18-2013 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Dick Willie (Post 9331207)

We're holding you to that

Sweet Daddy Hate 01-18-2013 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 9331213)
We're holding you to that

I'm down.

Rambozo 01-18-2013 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Dick Willie (Post 9331207)

If we don't pic Geno, would you change it to "lover" instead of Geno?

HolyHat 01-18-2013 03:18 PM

The Nassib thoughts are picking up steam lately. That kid is either going to be a monster or a total bust. No in between with him.

saphojunkie 01-18-2013 03:20 PM

Here's my big question -

If Geno Smith isn't worth the #1 overall pick, what pick is he worth? 7? 10? 15?

At what point would the Chiefs look at the board and say, "He's our guy."

Because it seems to me that, if he isn't worth the #1 overall pick, then he isn't worth a first round pick period.

And since our 2nd rounder is basically a first, would they even take him there? What's the ****ing difference between getting him at 1 and getting him at #34? Either way, he is going to be your QB for the foreseeable future. Either way, you're probably not drafting a first round QB next year.

So why wouldn't you just take him at #1? I still can't believe there's a single player in this draft who is appreciably better than Geno Smith.

I just don't believe in Best Player Available. Or, rather, I believe it should be Most IMPACTFUL Player Available. The MIPA.

You cannot tell me there is a more impactful player than Geno Smith or Tyler Wilson - whoever is better - in this draft.

Star Lotuleilei will not give you more wins than Geno or Wilson. He won't. Period. Joeckel won't either. What, he's going to come in and allow ZERO sacks? Because that's the only way to improve on Albert's play this year.

It's just so ****ing infuriating. It makes no sense to have turned our backs on the QB position in this draft already.

RealSNR 01-18-2013 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rambozo (Post 9331046)
Almost every rookie loses his first playoff game. He looked bad in his second game.

In five years Ryan has 16 fourth quarter comebacks and 23 game winning drives.

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...layer=RyanMa00

In comparison, Rodgers has 5 fourth quarter comebacks and 9 game winning drives in eight years.

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...layer=RodgAa00

When he won the Superbowl, that team never trailed a game once in the 4th quarter. It's not a coincidence.

So now Ryan > Rodgers

In spite of the fact that 2 years ago in the playoffs, those two QBs met face-to-face and Rodgers put on one of the greatest performances I've ever seen from a QB in the playoffs. It was ****ing zen. He made all the throws look easy, and that's even against some pretty aggressive tight coverage the Falcons were playing. He dominated Ryan and made him look like a giant smelly turd.

I don't ****ing give a shit about regular season comebacks. The regular season can go **** its dad.

HolyHat 01-18-2013 03:29 PM

Where would we be if that coin flip with Atlanta went our way....

Rambozo 01-18-2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9331258)
So now Ryan > Rodgers

In spite of the fact that 2 years ago in the playoffs, those two QBs met face-to-face and Rodgers put on one of the greatest performances I've ever seen from a QB in the playoffs. It was ****ing zen. He made all the throws look easy, and that's even against some pretty aggressive tight coverage the Falcons were playing. He dominated Ryan and made him look like a giant smelly turd.

I don't ****ing give a shit about regular season comebacks. The regular season can go **** its dad.

I didn't say Ryan is greater than Rogers. Also, the Falcons were starting their dime back (Chris Owens #21) as the #2 CB in that game. If you watch the highlights, you will see Owens quite a bit. it wasn't as great as you think.

Easy 6 01-18-2013 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Dick Willie (Post 9331212)
Sweet Jesus, Miller can chug teh 'Freeze...

There is maybe one guy i've read from that place who sounds like a pro, the rest of them are no better than the dumbest, homeriest noob on this board.

I'm surprised they allow so many clowns to submit work.

Sorter 01-18-2013 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by @KCsporting (Post 9331250)
The Nassib thoughts are picking up steam lately. That kid is either going to be a monster or a total bust. No in between with him.

I really like the guy.

notorious 01-18-2013 03:56 PM

I am not going to go one way or another until the combine is done.

DaneMcCloud 01-18-2013 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9331319)
I really like the guy.

I've never seen him.

Why do other people here continually say "He sucks"?

I realize that numbers do not tell the entire story but his numbers were nice and he has ideal size.

DaneMcCloud 01-18-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 9331333)

Good man

:thumb:

Sorter 01-18-2013 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9331357)
I've never seen him.

I realize that numbers do not tell the entire story but his numbers were nice and he has ideal size.

No idea.

I really love his release and movement within the pocket. Slides/shrugs really well. Not as good as Geno but 2nd best in the draft IMO.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4tdBC9OF2CE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/O2lLS4r_77g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WhgDOOq3hDY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here's a small sample. Needs more touch/accuracy on deeper throws but does have a few nice ones. Not nearly as consistent on the deep ball as Geno

DeezNutz 01-18-2013 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9331357)
I've never seen him.

Makes poor decisions at times (who doesn't, in fairness?). Inconsistent mechanics and accuracy.

Wouldn't touch this kid higher than the 3rd round. Looks like a true developmental project with nice upside.

Need and lack of risk associated with drafting QBs will artificially inflate his stock.

BossChief 01-18-2013 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 9331333)

What could possibly happen at the combine, that is told to the media, that would make an ounce of difference? It's almost guaranteed that the top guys aren't gonna throw (top guys never do) and it's not like Genos 40 time matters AT ALL for him as a prospect.

For quarterbacks, the important part of the combine is the interviews and the content of those interviews are kept under lock and key.

I expect Geno to run a 4.7 40, but if he runs a 4.9 or even a 5flat, it wouldn't effect my opinion of him very much because I already know that he values his abilities as a passer far more than his ability to move the chains as a runner. That alone should allow him to have a sustained career that is very productive.

chiefs1111 01-18-2013 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9331365)
Makes poor decisions at times (who doesn't, in fairness?). Inconsistent mechanics and accuracy.

Wouldn't touch this kid higher than the 3rd round. Looks like a true developmental project with nice upside.

Need and lack of risk associated with drafting QBs will artificially inflate his stock.

This. He isn't someone you can put in there from day one as the starter.

oldman 01-18-2013 04:34 PM

I'll echo what a lot of you have said here. If any QB is worth taking in the top 15, why not take him at #1? I think we're all pretty much in agreement that the biggest need on this Chiefs team is a QB. True, there isn't a Luck or RG3 this year, but how many drats have such players? Not many, so man up and take the best QB available and move on. Not rocket science, folks.

DaneMcCloud 01-18-2013 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9331369)
What could possibly happen at the combine, that is told to the media, that would make an ounce of difference? It's almost guaranteed that the top guys aren't gonna throw (top guys never do)

If Smith refused to throw, his draft stock will plummet. He's already refused the Senior Bowl and regardless of what Chiefsplanet thinks of him, at this point in time, there are questions about him.

DaneMcCloud 01-18-2013 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefs1111 (Post 9331373)
This. He isn't someone you can put in there from day one as the starter.

So? Either was Eli Manning or Philip Rivers. Or Aaron Rodgers for that matter.

That shouldn't be the criteria, IMO. Even McNabb didn't start his rookie season.

DaneMcCloud 01-18-2013 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9331365)

Interesting. So potentially, he is a starting NFL QB, but it's unlikely he'll be ready come September to lead a team?

OmahaChief 01-18-2013 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 9331255)
So why wouldn't you just take him at #1? I still can't believe there's a single player in this draft who is appreciably better than Geno Smith.

Because you would be passing up other players that could have a big impact on the team as well. The A&M tackle would look great on our line at one and then if could get Smith later you would have two excellent prospects. You will not get a talent like Luke J at pick 34 but you could find a QB nearly as good as Smith in many people's opinion.

silver5liter 01-18-2013 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OmahaChief (Post 9331400)
Because you would be passing up other players that could have a big impact on the team as well. The A&M tackle would look great on our line at one and then if could get Smith later you would have two excellent prospects. You will not get a talent like Luke J at pick 34 but you could find a QB nearly as good as Smith in many people's opinion.

You think that an ot would have a bigger impact then a QB. You have got to be kidding me. Branden Albert gave up one damn sack last year. Why the **** would we waste that pick on his replacement. Also no ****ing way you are getting a QB as good as Geno with out second pick, Zero.

DeezNutz 01-18-2013 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9331388)
So? Either was Eli Manning or Philip Rivers. Or Aaron Rodgers for that matter.

That shouldn't be the criteria, IMO. Even McNabb didn't start his rookie season.

Three legit first-rounders. And we just had this exchange relative to Gabbert, who was also a legit first-rounder who also had no business starting year one, week one.

I'd be happy to try to take this kid off Jacksonville's hands for a fourth. He's a good bet for a reclamation project.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9331391)
Interesting. So potentially, he is a starting NFL QB, but it's unlikely he'll be ready come September to lead a team?

Potentially, sure. There's natural talent there, but I think he's incredibly raw. He sits all of year one.

And as you're well aware, the odds of "hitting" with a QB taken in the third or later aren't real great, but it doesn't mean that it cannot happen, obviously.

DaneMcCloud 01-18-2013 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9331439)
And as you're well aware, the odds of "hitting" with a QB taken in the third or later aren't real great, but it doesn't mean that it cannot happen, obviously.

I agree.

But it would be nice to have a long term, competent back up QB. You know, a guy that wouldn't shit himself and is actually capable of winning games.

silver5liter 01-18-2013 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9331439)
Three legit first-rounders. And we just had this exchange relative to Gabbert, who was also a legit first-rounder who also had no business starting year one, week one.

I'd be happy to try to take this kid off Jacksonville's hands for a fourth. He's a good bet for a reclamation project.

Potentially, sure. There's natural talent there, but I think he's incredibly raw. He sits all of year one.

For a later round prospect to add to Geno I like Dysert over Nassib even though Nassib will probably go earlier.

DeezNutz 01-18-2013 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9331443)
I agree.

But it would be nice to have a long term, competent back up QB. You know, a guy that wouldn't shit himself and is actually capable of winning games.

Absolutely.

The QB position on this team is so terrible that we have to throw numbers at the situation. I would have absolutely no problem with doing all three of the following:

1. Acquiring a legit "vet" option (such as a Flynn, whom I believe we could have for nominal cost if we're willing to take on the contract).
2. Drafting a QB whom we believe has franchise potential in the first, ideally. Definitely no later than the top of round two.
3. Throwing a late-round pick at a QB.

At the very least, we must accomplish two of the three above options.

DaWolf 01-18-2013 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman (Post 9331380)
I'll echo what a lot of you have said here. If any QB is worth taking in the top 15, why not take him at #1? I think we're all pretty much in agreement that the biggest need on this Chiefs team is a QB. True, there isn't a Luck or RG3 this year, but how many drats have such players? Not many, so man up and take the best QB available and move on. Not rocket science, folks.

I like Smith and I would like for him to separate himself and for us to take him at 1. The flip side of that argument however comes down to how good Smith really is in comparison to other players in the draft and the league.

If Smith is the clear cut best option available in both the draft and in free agency/trade, and everyone else is a severe fall off the cliff compared to him (IE Smith is Matt Stafford and the next guy is Blaine Gabbert) then you take Smith. But if you say that Smith is going to be kind of in the same boat as a lot of these other guys, or you can get a guy in a later round that you feel has the makeup to succeed, then is there a better player available?

For example, in hindsight it looks obvious, but in 2011 both Tennessee and JVille needed QB's and they identified Locker and Gabbert as top 10 worthy, and drafted them at 8 and 10 respectively. Meanwhile, JJ Watt go at 11, and Dalton and Kaepernick go in the second round.

So Dorsey has a lot of different angles he has to look at. Is Smith truly the best? Will he fit in with what we do here and thrive? Do we give big money to Albert or is Joekel a significant, potential All-Pro upgrade? Is there a defender that is a game changer at that pick? Can we trade down? Will there be a QB in round 2 that will be a better fit for Reid? Can we trade back into the first round and take a QB who might not be significantly different than Smith? Etc.

To me, if the answer is that Smith is by far the best QB available this year in the draft and free agency, and if there is no truly elite prospect in the draft, then the choice is simple. If Dorsey doesn't see much difference between Smith and Joekel talent wise, IE they both have upside but both have some warts, and elects to go with Joekel just because he is a "safer" pick, then that to me is like Jake Long over Matt Ryan, which is a mistake...

Mother****erJones 01-18-2013 06:02 PM

Bleacher report is like TMZ it's bullshit! I gota wait til the senior bowl and combine and pro days before I guess who we'll pick

Pasta Little Brioni 01-18-2013 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rambozo (Post 9330938)
No disrespect but, what blows my mind is the way some of you think he is the best thing since Jesus. I like him but man, people are Geno crazy around here. It's like they love him so much that they just want to grab hold of him and **** the shit out of him. It's kind of weird. I know these are desperate times for Chiefs fans but, there are a ton of fans wearing beer goggles. He's a good prospect who hasn't done shit and that's about it.

It really is this simple....You don't have a QB, you take a shot, draft and develop the best one available at that spot. Fail....Try again.

Easy 6 01-18-2013 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9331452)
Absolutely.

The QB position on this team is so terrible that we have to throw numbers at the situation. I would have absolutely no problem with doing all three of the following:

1. Acquiring a legit "vet" option (such as a Flynn, whom I believe we could have for nominal cost if we're willing to take on the contract).
2. Drafting a QB whom we believe has franchise potential in the first, ideally. Definitely no later than the top of round two.
3. Throwing a late-round pick at a QB.

At the very least, we must accomplish two of the three above options.

I'll take all three, i've advocated for your well said "throw numbers at it" proposition many times.

There is almost NOTHING that should be considered over the top in the search for a bona-fide player at that position.

DeezNutz 01-18-2013 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 9331543)
I'll take all three, i've advocated for your well said "throw numbers at it" proposition many times.

There is almost NOTHING that should be considered over the top in the search for a bona-fide player at that position.

Yep. It's gross negligence on the part of the Chiefs at this point, and we simply have to swing the pendulum back in the other direction.

I would love to see three new options in camp next fall, with an open competition for the position.

htismaqe 01-18-2013 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9331386)
If Smith refused to throw, his draft stock will plummet. He's already refused the Senior Bowl and regardless of what Chiefsplanet thinks of him, at this point in time, there are questions about him.

Top guys refuse to throw ALL THE TIME.

For all the talk about people being "Geno crazy" it's pretty easy to see why.

The rhetoric against varies between ignorant and downright stupid.

HolyHat 01-18-2013 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 9331540)
It really is this simple....You don't have a QB, you take a shot, draft and develop the best one available at that spot. Fail....Try again.

Exactly, teams are not on the hook with these draft picks anymore like they used to be. The reward highly outweighs the risk, where as a few years ago you better not miss.

Pasta Little Brioni 01-18-2013 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by @KCsporting (Post 9331596)
Exactly, teams are not on the hook with these draft picks anymore like they used to be. The reward highly outweighs the risk, where as a few years ago you better not miss.

That and guys are coming into the league better prepared and ready to play right away. You can compete, win games right away and that's not talking about guys like Luck and RG. It's ones like Dalton, Flacco, and Wilson.

htismaqe 01-18-2013 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 9331608)
That and guys are coming into the league better prepared and ready to play right away. You can compete, win games right away and that's not talking about guys like Luck and RG. It's ones like Dalton, Flacco, and Wilson.

Even when they're super raw, teams are figuring out ways to use them. See Ryan Tannehill.

DaneMcCloud 01-18-2013 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9331595)
Top guys refuse to throw ALL THE TIME.

For all the talk about people being "Geno crazy" it's pretty easy to see why.

The rhetoric against varies between ignorant and downright stupid.

So, you're of the opinion that Smith can bypass throwing at the Combine, yet still be drafted #1 overall?

RustShack 01-18-2013 08:09 PM

For the guys who don't want to draft Geno #1, where/who do we get who's better? If we don't draft a QB #1 it's because we sign or trade for someone better? Who is it?

Fact is we have to go into the season with the best QB possible. I'm OK with signing a veteran also as long as we get Geno. Geno might need time to work on the mechanics and mental reps of this style. Go into the season with the safety plan, but if Geno shows he's ready during Pre-Season then start him day one.

whoman69 01-18-2013 08:44 PM

Does Joekel improve our team over Albert more than Smith improves our team over Quinn or Cassel? I think the answer should be obvious.

HolyHat 01-18-2013 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoman69 (Post 9331792)
Does Joekel improve our team over Albert more than Smith improves our team over Quinn or Cassel? I think the answer should be obvious.

Some people are saying Cassel should still start...

No thanks

Chiefaholic 01-18-2013 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 9331255)
Here's my big question -

If Geno Smith isn't worth the #1 overall pick, what pick is he worth? 7? 10? 15?

At what point would the Chiefs look at the board and say, "He's our guy."

Because it seems to me that, if he isn't worth the #1 overall pick, then he isn't worth a first round pick period.

And since our 2nd rounder is basically a first, would they even take him there? What's the ****ing difference between getting him at 1 and getting him at #34? Either way, he is going to be your QB for the foreseeable future. Either way, you're probably not drafting a first round QB next year.

I just don't believe in Best Player Available. Or, rather, I believe it should be Most IMPACTFUL Player Available. The MIPA.

You cannot tell me there is a more impactful player than Geno Smith or Tyler Wilson - whoever is better - in this draft.

Star Lotuleilei will not give you more wins than Geno or Wilson. He won't. Period. Joeckel won't either. What, he's going to come in and allow ZERO sacks? Because that's the only way to improve on Albert's play this year.

It's just so ****ing infuriating. It makes no sense to have turned our backs on the QB position in this draft already.

Perhaps the Chiefs are being smart about this and not tipping their cap as to who they plan to take. This makes the #1 overall that much more valuable if somebody in the 2-4 spot are terrified you might take their guy.

HolyHat 01-18-2013 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefaholic (Post 9331831)
Perhaps the Chiefs are being smart about this and not tipping their cap as to who they plan to take. This makes the #1 overall that much more valuable if somebody in the 2-4 spot are terrified you might take their guy.

Problem is, nobody in this draft is worth getting a chub over in the first 10 picks. A lot of really good players are going to end up middle to late round.

The thing we have to worry about is the Jags or Raiders falling in love with Geno and worried we will take him, so they throw some blockbuster trade at us. If that happens, Dorsey will probably bite.

BossChief 01-18-2013 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9331693)
So, you're of the opinion that Smith can bypass throwing at the Combine, yet still be drafted #1 overall?

You know better than this, bro.

The top quarterback prospects ALWAYS bypass throwing at the combine. It's for multiple reasons...

1) they would be throwing to receivers they have spent only a day or two with and have no timing with and if their passes hit the ground, that marks against them, sometimes unfairly.

2) they want to throw at their proday because it not only helps them by throwing to familiar players, but it also gets their teammates more exposure to gms and scouts.

3) their agents advise against it because there is NOTHING to gain and EVERYTHING to lose.

Mark Sanchez was the only top QB that I can remember that threw at the combine....I'm not sure I remember any of the previous first overall quarterbacks doing so.

OmahaChief 01-18-2013 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silver5liter (Post 9331419)
You think that an ot would have a bigger impact then a QB. You have got to be kidding me. Branden Albert gave up one damn sack last year. Why the **** would we waste that pick on his replacement. Also no ****ing way you are getting a QB as good as Geno with out second pick, Zero.

We don't even know of Albert is going to be here long term yet. The tackle is being talked about as a can't miss type of guy while Smith is already being talked about high risk. A strong Oline can help any offense.

I would bet there will be a qb taken in the second round that will have a better career than Smith. Someone like Landry Jones might be that type of guy.

BossChief 01-18-2013 09:41 PM

When a QB works out, it doesn't matter where he was picked.

The guys who thought Brett Favre, Andy Dalton, Drew Brees, Colin Kaepernick, Russel Wilson and Aaron Rodgers weren't worth top 5 picks were fools.

If you identify a guy you think has a chance at leading your team, you take him as soon as you get a chance and that includes trading up to do so.

If we pass on a QB at the top pick, we deserve what we get.

BossChief 01-18-2013 09:42 PM

Who wouldn't go back and take Joe Flacco over Glenn Dorsey?

HolyHat 01-18-2013 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9331904)
When a QB works out, it doesn't matter where he was picked.

The guys who thought Brett Favre, Andy Dalton, Drew Brees, Colin Kaepernick, Russel Wilson and Aaron Rodgers weren't worth top 5 picks were fools.

If you identify a guy you think has a chance at leading your team, you take him as soon as you get a chance and that includes trading up to do so.

If we pass on a QB at the top pick, we deserve what we get.

Great point, you identify a guy you see leading your team and you go with it. Who cares what pick or what round he is projected. Geno is an obvious playmaker that would do really well in Reid's system. I don't give a shit about having the best O-Line in the league, I'd rather have the 10th-15th best QB in the league.

DaneMcCloud 01-18-2013 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9331874)

The top quarterback prospects ALWAYS bypass throwing at the combine. It's for multiple reasons...

1) they would be throwing to receivers they have spent only a day or two with and have no timing with and if their passes hit the ground, that marks against them, sometimes unfairly.

2) they want to throw at their proday because it not only helps them by throwing to familiar players, but it also gets their teammates more exposure to gms and scouts.

3) their agents advise against it because there is NOTHING to gain and EVERYTHING to lose.

Mark Sanchez was the only top QB that I can remember that threw at the combine....I'm not sure I remember any of the previous first overall quarterbacks doing so.

Yes, I understand why QB's projected to go #1 or #2 overall don't throw at the Combines.

But outside of this forum and a few ****ing dumbasses with websites, he's not the #1 overall pick and in some cases, isn't in the first round.

I do not understand what he gains by not throwing. If anything, it'll make the QB picture even more clouded, make scouts and GM's dig even deeper for flaws and puts an enormous amount of pressure on him to perform at his Pro Day.

aturnis 01-18-2013 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rambozo (Post 9331103)
That's not what I am saying at all. I am saying draft a QB that has the skillset and has won the close ones and come through when it counted. Draft a QB that looks like he can develop into someone as good as Joe Flacco is NOW.

I'm saying if Reid and Dorsey think they can get one of the two (Geno or Wilson) in 20s on up in the first, then wait and do it. If that's the case, I think they will.

Our second and third round picks are good ones and most of those teams in the 20's have QBs. Someone like the Saints who lost draft picks might be willing to trade.

YOU ARE A ****ING IDIOT! GENO AND WILSON WILL BOTH BE TOP 15,PROBABLY TOP 10 PICKS!

KC, JACKSONVILLE, ARIZONA, OAKLAND, and BUFFALO ALL NEED QB'S.

aturnis 01-18-2013 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 9331117)
Except you are not including the original guy you draft. Assuming Albert isn't extended, people would really be upset walking out of the first three rounds of the draft with the best LT and Wilson?

No way in ****ing he'll you walk out with both. Besides, we have a LT.

BossChief 01-18-2013 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9331935)
Yes, I understand why QB's projected to go #1 or #2 overall don't throw at the Combines.

But outside of this forum and a few ****ing dumbasses with websites, he's not the #1 overall pick and in some cases, isn't in the first round.

I do not understand what he gains by not throwing. If anything, it'll make the QB picture even more clouded, make scouts and GM's dig even deeper for flaws and puts an enormous amount of pressure on him to perform at his Pro Day.

What do you think he would gain by throwing?

There are 3 full seasons of tape of his throwing motion...for quarterbacks, the combine is for the interviews and to gauge athleticism through some individual drills.

Nothing more.

BossChief 01-18-2013 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9331386)

You think those questions will be answered by throwing to players he has only been around for a couple days and has no timing with?

BigMeatballDave 01-18-2013 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OmahaChief (Post 9331880)
We don't even know of Albert is going to be here long term yet. The tackle is being talked about as a can't miss type of guy while Smith is already being talked about high risk. A strong Oline can help any offense.

I would bet there will be a qb taken in the second round that will have a better career than Smith. Someone like Landry Jones might be that type of guy.

:spock:

BossChief 01-18-2013 10:31 PM

If these guys let Albert walk and draft Joeckel...the gloves are coming off and the honeymoon will OFFICIALLY be over.

Saccopoo 01-18-2013 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9331874)

Cam Newton threw at the combine and looked like complete shit when he did. I've never seen a QB throw that poorly there ever and he went #1 in the Draft.

SAUTO 01-18-2013 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9331935)

Do you believe the first round will go by without a quarterback taken?
Posted via Mobile Device

okcchief 01-18-2013 11:57 PM

I don't know why so many of you guys get so worked up about opinions before the combine. We aren't going to know shit until March.

HolyHat 01-19-2013 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okcchief (Post 9332160)
I don't know why so many of you guys get so worked up about opinions before the combine. We aren't going to know shit until March.

Who the **** is worked up? god damnit ****ing shit **** damn ****ing ass **** and **** all over the ****ing counter mother ****er

I'm not!

DaneMcCloud 01-19-2013 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9332042)
Do you believe the first round will go by without a quarterback taken?
Posted via Mobile Device

I honestly have absolutely no idea.

Does anyone, at this point?

DaneMcCloud 01-19-2013 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okcchief (Post 9332160)

Because a faction of Chiefsplanet has decided that even if the 28th best overall player in the 2013 NFL Draft is a QB, then the Chiefs MUST take him #1 overall.

Also, there is no way that the best QB in the draft ISN'T worth at least the 12th pick in the draft, therefore, he should be taken #1 overall.

Basically, if Dan McGuire is available, TAKE HIM.

Hammock Parties 01-19-2013 12:43 AM

This guy really said Joeckel was the best tackle he'd ever seen? LMAO

How can you say that on national airwaves?

Hammock Parties 01-19-2013 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 9331041)
imagine the ****ing tears if we were looking at a QB from Delaware this year, whose biggest win was against Delaware State...

jesus, the "he's not good enough, wait till next year" crowd would lose their worthless shit....

It's not just Flacco either.

I keep pounding it home: Cam Newton had ONE 3,000-yard passing season in college.

BossChief 01-19-2013 12:48 AM

Joeckel is pretty good. The kid can move and has really good hands.

The thing is, he is basically the same type of prospect Albert was...so, why let Albert go and draft this kid when we have the worst quarterback situation in the whole league?

That just doesn't make sense.

Sorter 01-19-2013 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9332242)
Joeckel is pretty good. The kid can move and has really good hands.

The thing is, he is basically the same type of prospect Albert was...so, why let Albert go and draft this kid when we have the worst quarterback situation in the whole league?

That just doesn't make sense.

Yup. And this isn't a draft IMO that is going to be littered with guys that have issues but talent like last year in Assweiler, Wilson, Foles, etc.

You've Dysert, Manuel, and that's about it IMO. All the other QBs are going in the 1st.