ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Andy Reid on Metro Sports... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269825)

NJChiefsFan 02-09-2013 01:07 AM

I think Smith will open a little gap(from the other QB's at least) during the combine. Dane has said multiple times he is waiting for that to make judgement. If everyone expects Geno to do well there then you really don't have to worry about Dane's view of Geno. It's not worth getting into this with the combine coming up.

BigChiefFan 02-09-2013 03:05 AM

Best interview I've seen in along time. We actually have a competent head coach. Btw, Casserly just mentioned Geno as our possible pick.

007 02-09-2013 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefFan (Post 9388842)
Best interview I've seen in along time. We actually have a competent head coach. Btw, Casserly just mentioned Geno as our possible pick.

literally? Just now? Man, dude stays up late. :D

BigChiefFan 02-09-2013 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9388846)
literally? Just now? Man, dude stays up late. :D

It took me a while to figure out what you were talking about. Then it dawned on me, I should have had a V-8.

007 02-09-2013 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefFan (Post 9388849)
It took me a while to figure out what you were talking about. Then it dawned on me, I should have had a V-8.

LMAO

Chiefs Pantalones 02-09-2013 07:33 AM

According to Kevin Kietzman, Andy Reid is on the same flight he is currently to go to spring training. Kevin Kolb to the rescue? Lol

007 02-09-2013 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefs Pantalones (Post 9388917)
According to Kevin Kietzman, Andy Reid is on the same flight he is currently to go to spring training. Kevin Kolb to the rescue? Lol

You shut your whore mouth.:cuss:

Ace Gunner 02-09-2013 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9387501)
"Whether we stay there OR trade back".

That certainly doesn't scream "QB #1 overall".

agreed. there are a few places during the conversation of QB that Andy Reid seemed defensive or on the offensive for not taking a QB with that #1 pick.

When he was asked whether the new trends of exclusive QB pro day/workouts present evaluation difficulties, Reid started by saying "well, listen" and generally evasively answered that line of questions.

I'm going with the trade scenario. They will try to trade that #1 or #2 pick. I think they could trade up with the #2 pick, I doubt anyone will take the #1 in any scenario.

If Barkley falls to the 2nd round, they might grab him. My only concern about Barkley is he has slow slow hips -- he is not gonna do well when protection breaks down because he can't scramble worth shit. But, if you protect him he can run Reid's short route WCO with success, I believe.

Hate to say it, I doubt Geno Smith becomes a Chief. In fact I believe Reid is going to roll out Matty C during preseason and depending on competition, the "good football player" could be the starter next season. Reid will experience matty's fail for himself. Then Stanzi or whoever they bring in will take over.

rinse/repeat.

At least, the new staff has a rep for the QB position. Not sure this wouldn't be negated if they were to roll that failure of a QB out though. Guess we'll see.

milkman 02-09-2013 09:59 AM

It's all coach/draft speak.

None of it means A damn thing.

Ace Gunner 02-09-2013 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 9389039)
It's all coach/draft speak.

None of it means A damn thing.

That's why we're here -- to, you know, fill in the gaps :D

CupidStunt 02-09-2013 10:10 AM

Not yet convinced they take Geno #1, but they sure as hell won't keep Cassel next year, nevermind start him, that much I'd bet every cent I own on.

King_Chief_Fan 02-09-2013 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan (Post 9388787)
I think Smith will open a little gap(from the other QB's at least) during the combine. Dane has said multiple times he is waiting for that to make judgement. If everyone expects Geno to do well there then you really don't have to worry about Dane's view of Geno. It's not worth getting into this with the combine coming up.

why would people worry about Dane's view of Geno?

Dane, you got people scared crapless:clap:

Messier 02-09-2013 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzz_TinBalls (Post 9389031)
agreed. there are a few places during the conversation of QB that Andy Reid seemed defensive or on the offensive for not taking a QB with that #1 pick.

When he was asked whether the new trends of exclusive QB pro day/workouts present evaluation difficulties, Reid started by saying "well, listen" and generally evasively answered that line of questions.

I'm going with the trade scenario. They will try to trade that #1 or #2 pick. I think they could trade up with the #2 pick, I doubt anyone will take the #1 in any scenario.

If Barkley falls to the 2nd round, they might grab him. My only concern about Barkley is he has slow slow hips -- he is not gonna do well when protection breaks down because he can't scramble worth shit. But, if you protect him he can run Reid's short route WCO with success, I believe.

Hate to say it, I doubt Geno Smith becomes a Chief. In fact I believe Reid is going to roll out Matty C during preseason and depending on competition, the "good football player" could be the starter next season. Reid will experience matty's fail for himself. Then Stanzi or whoever they bring in will take over.

rinse/repeat.

At least, the new staff has a rep for the QB position. Not sure this wouldn't be negated if they were to roll that failure of a QB out though. Guess we'll see.

Well listen, you've got some great takes here, and seem to be taking Reid's comments and running with them to the logical conclusion.

Sweet Daddy Hate 02-09-2013 10:41 AM

i cant believe anyone thinks Cassel will be taking snaps as a Chief next season....
Posted via Mobile Device

SAUTO 02-09-2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Dick Willie (Post 9389110)
i cant believe anyone thinks Cassel will be taking snaps as a Chief next season....
Posted via Mobile Device

He is going to be re born. He will take us to the super bowl. I believe
Posted via Mobile Device

Bewbies 02-09-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefs Pantalones (Post 9388917)

Isn't Geno working out in AZ right now? :)

Sweet Daddy Hate 02-09-2013 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9389313)
He is going to be re born. He will take us to the super bowl. I believe
Posted via Mobile Device

smplol
Posted via Mobile Device

SAUTO 02-09-2013 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Dick Willie (Post 9389324)
smplol
Posted via Mobile Device

One the train stats you can't get on. Might as well saddle up now.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sweet Daddy Hate 02-09-2013 12:36 PM

id rather saddle meccas flaming toilet brush....
Posted via Mobile Device

HotCarl 02-09-2013 12:48 PM

Reid knows the NFL and he knows offense. He drafted McNabb when the value was right. He will know the value for Geno Smith is not there for #1 overall. I'm confident we will get good value and the BPA.

Sweet Daddy Hate 02-09-2013 01:05 PM

He will draft Smith with Dorseys blessing.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rausch 02-09-2013 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Dick Willie (Post 9389422)
He will draft Smith with Dorseys blessing.
Posted via Mobile Device

That'd be my guess...

munkey 02-09-2013 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9388543)
Is it possible that he is indirectly taking a shot at Geno Smith with the "will his team to victory" line? Lets face it, WV was only 7-6.

ding, ding, ding...we have a winna!!!

Like Dane I can't wait for the combine...with all the man love for Geno he better blow the place up...

Sweet Daddy Hate 02-09-2013 01:16 PM

Reid got maximum mileage from mc nabb and vick. Smith is beyond both in potential skills and leadership. We need to just stop with any other scenario because this Deal is......wait for it.........Done.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ace Gunner 02-09-2013 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Messier (Post 9389089)
Well listen, you've got some great takes here, and seem to be taking Reid's comments and running with them to the logical conclusion.

well listen. I listen. I know you listen. we all listen.

do you hear that sound? I hear it. it's that sound the goal post makes when it's hit with a matty c pass.

it's like a gonging sound. but it is muted. miffed at the notion why anyone would throw a forward pass at it's upright metal. it wants to sing out "why? why you do this?". but it stops singing after "wh".

Sweet Daddy Hate 02-09-2013 02:03 PM

lmao
Posted via Mobile Device

MagicHef 02-09-2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9387769)
Here's exactly what he said:

The skill that is most important is that he wins football games.

The great ones makes everyone around them better. They make everyone's game come up.

Look, I'm making it short and sweet for you. We're not talking about the intangibles that go into it, we're not talking about the reads on time, we're not talking about the footwork, the arm strength, the hands, all those things.

The bottom line is that guy doesn't have to the prettiest, but does he give you an opportunity to win football games and does he allow his players around him to raise their game up and go do that.

So... he wants Tebow?

The Bad Guy 02-09-2013 03:29 PM

I took the quote from Reid about that all of those things are understood that you need to have them as a QB to win football games - intangibles, reads on time, footwork, arm strength. They were givens for him.

The Bad Guy 02-09-2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Dick Willie (Post 9389450)
Reid got maximum mileage from mc nabb and vick. Smith is beyond both in potential skills and leadership. We need to just stop with any other scenario because this Deal is......wait for it.........Done.
Posted via Mobile Device

Really based on what is he beyond McNabb?

McNabb was a great QB for a lot of years with the Eagles. He was their leader and someone who maximized his skill set while playing the position.

Look, I like Geno, but the rhetoric about how he has skills that transcend QBs that were truly really good to great in this league has to stop here.

We just need to stop making baseless comparisons to try to strengthen the argument that he should go #1. I'm not disputing he should, but what I am disputing is that you know how good of a leader Geno Smith is. You don't. I don't. No one does. I also think leadership is one of the biggest fluff things ever in sports.

Mike Vick also had the best skill set potential out of any QB drafted in the 2000s. A QB with an incredible arm, and 4.3 speed.

Geno Smith is not beyond that potential skill set. Not even close.

Hammock Parties 02-09-2013 03:58 PM

We need to quit going overboard with Geno.

If he's as good as Donovan McNabb I'll be ecstatic.

The Bad Guy 02-09-2013 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoWalrus (Post 9389809)
We need to quit going overboard with Geno.

If he's as good as Donovan McNabb I'll be ecstatic.

As will I.

But there's nothing he does that transcends anything from the position.

I hope he's a fantastic player and that we draft him. However, saying he has skills that top McNabb and Vick is like saying Luke Joekel has skills that Orlando Pace could only dream of.

Saccopoo 02-09-2013 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9388543)
Is it possible that he is indirectly taking a shot at Geno Smith with the "will his team to victory" line? Lets face it, WV was only 7-6.

A winning record with one of the worst defenses in all of college football?

I want the guy responsible for that then.

The Bad Guy 02-09-2013 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 9390159)
A winning record with one of the worst defenses in all of college football?

I want the guy responsible for that then.

Do you think his numbers were inflated because he played with such a bad defense?

Titty Meat 02-09-2013 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9390309)
Do you think his numbers were inflated because he played with such a bad defense?

The offense he played in certainly inflated the numbers.

Sweet Daddy Hate 02-09-2013 10:27 PM

surpasses vick as a pocket passer. Has clutch mc nabb can only fap to. Comparing Smith to mc nabb is the equivalent of comparing Smith to fatmarcus russel. It is what it is.
Posted via Mobile Device

The Bad Guy 02-09-2013 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Dick Willie (Post 9390786)
surpasses vick as a pocket passer. Has clutch mc nabb can only fap to. Comparing Smith to mc nabb is the equivalent of comparing Smith to fatmarcus russel. It is what it is.
Posted via Mobile Device

You've lost your ****ing mind.

Truthfully, you are either drunk, or have the worst long term memory loss ever.

McNabb was a god damn great quarterback and made tons of clutch plays.

Sweet Daddy Hate 02-09-2013 11:17 PM

Sir...there are times in life when we have to look at something and say "it is what it is". This would be one of those times. And I no longer drink.
Posted via Mobile Device

go bo 02-09-2013 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Dick Willie (Post 9390869)
Sir...there are times in life when we have to look at something and say "it is what it is". This would be one of those times. And I no longer drink.
Posted via Mobile Device

i knew there was something wrong with you!!

you don't drink? where the ****'s the fun in that?

next time you're in town we'll burn a little unless you've quit that too... :)

mcaj22 02-09-2013 11:32 PM

well at least you know Tyler Wilson is off his list because that team was like 3-10 lol and he didnt will that team to shit.

Sweet Daddy Hate 02-09-2013 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go bowe (Post 9390888)
i knew there was something wrong with you!!

you don't drink? where the ****'s the fun in that?

next time you're in town we'll burn a little unless you've quit that too... :)

Believe me...my resume for partying is 25 years full of CEO-level work. I had to let it go. I drink coffee and smoke a cigar here and there these days. That said...ive made up my mind that Arrowhead and the CP bash are definitely "bottoms up"-zones.
Posted via Mobile Device

SAUTO 02-10-2013 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Dick Willie (Post 9390915)
Believe me...my resume for partying is 25 years full of CEO-level work. I had to let it go. I drink coffee and smoke a cigar here and there these days. That said...ive made up my mind that Arrowhead and the CP bash are definitely "bottoms up"-zones.
Posted via Mobile Device

In. Brother
Posted via Mobile Device

tony77 02-10-2013 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9390309)

yes

SAUTO 02-10-2013 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony77 (Post 9391032)
yes

**** you
Posted via Mobile Device

Pasta Little Brioni 02-10-2013 07:34 AM

Quote:

yes

M O B

whoman69 02-10-2013 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9390139)
As will I.

But there's nothing he does that transcends anything from the position.

I hope he's a fantastic player and that we draft him. However, saying he has skills that top McNabb and Vick is like saying Luke Joekel has skills that Orlando Pace could only dream of.

Come on, we all know that Geno makes Chuck Norris stutter in his presence.

The argument is not that Geno can or will be great. The argument is that for this team, which hasn't drafted a QB #1 in 30 years, a team that has continually gone for the retread without any championships, needs to show the fanbase its serious about at least winning the trophy named after our team's founder.

Micjones 02-10-2013 09:57 AM

Reid can't move back without a trade partner.
Who's he going to trade the #1 pick to?

O.city 02-10-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9390893)
well at least you know Tyler Wilson is off his list because that team was like 3-10 lol and he didnt will that team to shit.

Hadn't really thought of that. Damn, i actually like Wilson too.

BossChief 02-10-2013 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9391293)
Hadn't really thought of that. Damn, i actually like Wilson too.

He was about to slam him for the small hands, too...but not directly.

Ace Gunner 02-10-2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagicHef (Post 9389561)
So... he wants Tebow?

:cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

Coogs 02-10-2013 10:46 AM

Stewart: 53 guys on a roster, but when you look at the way it breaks down, you got quarterback, two tackles, two pass rushers, two corners. Those seven guys, is that the core for success, that if you have good guys in those seven spots you can win?

Reid: Yeah, normally you would say that. Normally you'd say take care of your offensive line, defensive line, corners, and quarterback, you can compete in the National Football League.

When you analyze this part, we are really in pretty good shape. Got to re-sign Albert, but Albert and Winston at the Tackles. Winston probably is a really good team guy to have here... we just all hated he defended Cassel.

We have Hali and Houston as the two pass rushers.

We have Flowers as one of the corners. Probably could use an upgrade at the other, but we do have some young guys that have gained on-field experience that maybe will get better with an off-season running with the #1's. Or maybe the free agent route that they are scouting out. IIRC, Reid brought in several corners from other teams during his time in Philly.

We were 2-14 with nearly all of these pieces already in place. The arrow is pointed directly at the QB position.

DaneMcCloud 02-10-2013 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coogs (Post 9391333)
Stewart: 53 guys on a roster, but when you look at the way it breaks down, you got quarterback, two tackles, two pass rushers, two corners. Those seven guys, is that the core for success, that if you have good guys in those seven spots you can win?

Reid: Yeah, normally you would say that. Normally you'd say take care of your offensive line, defensive line, corners, and quarterback, you can compete in the National Football League.

When you analyze this part, we are really in pretty good shape. Got to re-sign Albert, but Albert and Winston at the Tackles. Winston probably is a really good team guy to have here... we just all hated he defended Cassel.

We have Flowers as one of the corners. Probably could use an upgrade at the other, but we do have some young guys that have gained on-field experience that maybe will get better with an off-season running with the #1's. Or maybe the free agent route that they are scouting out. IIRC, Reid brought in several corners from other teams during his time in Philly.

We were 2-14 with nearly all of these pieces already in place. The arrow is pointed directly at the QB position.

QB, CB, Safety, ILB. I've been saying it all off-season.

BossChief 02-10-2013 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9391346)
QB, CB, Safety, ILB. I've been saying it all off-season.

QB
2OTs
2CBs
2pass rushers

We need a corner and a quarterback.

O.city 02-10-2013 11:03 AM

CB, S, and ILB are spots I might try and target in free agency.

Sassy Squatch 02-10-2013 11:14 AM

Rhodes in the second round would be nice.

Coogs 02-10-2013 12:33 PM

Stewart: Some have tried to waterdown the quarterback position in the last ten years. I just need my guy to manage the game. Well the quarterback that's SuperBowl MVP didn't manage the game, he won the game. He made everybody better around him. Is that a mentality that you reject when people say that I just need my quarterback to be the manager?

Reid: Yeah! Listen I... the quarterback is an extention of whoever that offensive coach is, head coach whoever that is, that quarterback's that. And he's got to be that on the field. He has to be in charge, in this offense. Now there are different philosophies. But in this offense that is what he has to be. You look at the great ones, you mentioned them, right, you look at those guys, they all had that, ability to make everybody around them better and to win games.

Pretty telling stuff IMO.

Hammock Parties 02-10-2013 12:36 PM

Here is where I could roll tape of ***** talking about Matt's awesome checkdowns in preseason.

He literally said this on a preseason broadcast.

Tribal Warfare 02-10-2013 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoWalrus (Post 9391468)
Here is where I could roll tape of ***** talking about Matt's awesome checkdowns in preseason.

He literally said this on a preseason broadcast.

4 yard pass is still getting 4 yards!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hog's Gone Fishin 02-10-2013 12:49 PM

Quote:

NAIL ON HEAD

crazycoffey 02-10-2013 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagicHef (Post 9389561)
So... he wants Tebow?

Q

crazycoffey 02-10-2013 12:54 PM

Quote:

But Reid also said he wasn't reading into things like footwork or hand size.....

Chiefshrink 02-10-2013 02:02 PM

Quote:

yes

Then you are not objectively looking close enough then. With that horrid defense he had he knew he would be always pushing the envelope playing from behind a lot of the times. With that said his TD/INT for the season defy logic. He should have had a helluva a lot more INTs but didn't. This say's to me he 'still' makes good decisions in the pocket and manages a game fairly well even under stress to push the envelope and win.

When you hear the phrase "makes everyone around him step up and play better" that is what we call the "IT FACTOR". Making everyone believe they will win before that win is actually attained, especially in the 4th quarter down by 4 points with 1:30, 80yards to go with only 1 time out for a must TD for the win.

Seeing the win before it happens and KNOWING you will accomplish this goal is what is needed in the QB position. What establishes good from GREAT is the GREAT QB has the ability to translate that internal 'fire in the belly to win" and especially that 'vision of victory' to the rest of the team "before" they actually win the game.

Jay Cutler has far more physical ability than Rodgers,Brady, Manning,Brees etc.. BUT what does Jay lack from the rest of these guys(besides SB Wins) that has always been his achilles heel?

No "fire in the belly to win", no vision of winning, thus no leadership to inspire others around him to see victory before it happens. Jay Cutler has always been about Jay Cutler. Jeff George II.

I have not seen all of Geno's career as a starter at WV like many of you to put him in an objectively accurate proper context of his work. I have seen several games from this past season and definitely see the potential in this kid that I believe has a very high ceiling.

My gut tells me he has the "IT FACTOR". What say you from the rest of his body of work?

milkman 02-10-2013 02:02 PM

Quote:

Here's the problem I have with this philosophy.

Name me one truly outstanding defense that didn't have outstanding LB play.

milkman 02-10-2013 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefshrink (Post 9391674)
Then you are not objectively looking close enough then. With that horrid defense he had he knew he would be always pushing the envelope playing from behind a lot of the times. With that said his TD/INT for the season defy logic. He should have had a helluva a lot more INTs but didn't. This say's to me he 'still' makes good decisions in the pocket and manages a game fairly well even under stress to push the envelope and win.

When you hear the phrase "makes everyone around him step up and play better" that is what we call the "IT FACTOR". Making everyone believe they will win before that win is actually attained, especially in the 4th quarter down by 4 points with 1:30, 80yards to go with only 1 time out for a must TD for the win.

Seeing the win before it happens and KNOWING you will accomplish this goal is what is needed in the QB position. What establishes good from GREAT is the GREAT QB has the ability to translate that internal 'fire in the belly to win" and especially that 'vision of victory' to the rest of the team "before" they actually win the game.

Jay Cutler has far more physical ability than Rodgers,Brady, Manning,Brees etc.. BUT what does Jay lack from the rest of these guys(besides SB Wins) that has always been his achilles heel?

No "fire in the belly to win", no vision of winning, thus no leadership to inspire others around him to see victory before it happens. Jay Cutler has always been about Jay Cutler. Jeff George II.

I have not seen all of Geno's career as a starter at WV like many of you to put him in an objectively accurate proper context of his work. I have seen several games from this past season and definitely see the potential in this kid that I believe has a very high ceiling.

My gut tells me he has the "IT FACTOR". What say you from the rest of his body of work?

Jay Cutler does not have far more physical ability than Rodgers.

Chiefshrink 02-10-2013 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 9391682)
Jay Cutler does not have far more physical ability than Rodgers.

Ok "far more" when comparing Cutler to Rodgers is a bit of an over statement. Although, Rodgers has an accurate strong arm, Cutler has a Marino arm of which Rodgers does not. With that said, of course you don't need a laser arm to win SBs but comparing arm strength between Jay and Aaron, Jay wins hands down and is what I should have initially clarified when comparing specifically to Rodgers.

Chiefshrink 02-10-2013 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by munkey (Post 9389439)
ding, ding, ding...we have a winna!!!

Like Dane I can't wait for the combine...with all the man love for Geno he better blow the place up...

The only way he blows the combine up is if he throws and he won't and he runs a 4.4 or less 40 which he won't.

Coogs 02-10-2013 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 9391676)
Here's the problem I have with this philosophy.

Name me one truly outstanding defense that didn't have outstanding LB play.

Not following you MM.

Hali and Houston are our pass rushers... which are LB's. DJ is pretty good too.

My guess is Reid is still more programed to be thinking 4-3 when he says D-line play... even though D-line is a big piece of our LB's being able to make plays.

And to be fair MM, I did cut the rest of what Reid said off. He did say the rest of the positions are important as well.

Chiefshrink 02-10-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Well again, you could make the case this QB truly had sh** to work with and got at least 3 wins.

Chiefshrink 02-10-2013 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micjones (Post 9391255)
Reid can't move back without a trade partner.
Who's he going to trade the #1 pick to?

This is where the 'poker play' begins to move people during and after all the combine and college pro days are complete.

There will be a few teams in dire need of a franchise LT that will be extremely excited for Joekel and possibly move up IF Reid plays his hand well.

milkman 02-10-2013 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coogs (Post 9391776)
Not following you MM.

Hali and Houston are our pass rushers... which are LB's. DJ is pretty good too.

My guess is Reid is still more programed to be thinking 4-3 when he says D-line play... even though D-line is a big piece of our LB's being able to make plays.

Even in a 34, there's always that one guy in the middle that blows things up.

Ray Lewis for the Ravens through most of the last decade.

Patrick Willis (not to mention Navarro Bowman) for the 9ers.

The Steelers have always had superior ILB play.

I don't think you should spend a top 10 pick on the ILB position, but I do believe, strongly, that ILB play is still highly critical to fielding a top 5 defense.

Chiefshrink 02-10-2013 03:01 PM

I think Reid and Dorsey are waiting on what happens with Albert before they commit to any 1st rd pick.

Reid may have tipped his honest hand a bit when he stated the "trench play" (O-lines and D-lines) come first.

If Albert wants too much we are taking Joekel.

If Albert plays ball we are taking Geno.

milkman 02-10-2013 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefshrink (Post 9391798)
This is where the 'poker play' begins to move people during and after all the combine and college pro days are complete.

There will be a few teams in dire need of a franchise LT that will be extremely excited for Joekel and possibly move up IF Reid plays his hand well.

There isn't a single LT in this draft that any team should move up to take.

Not one.

Coogs 02-10-2013 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 9391799)

I don't think you should spend a top 10 pick on the ILB position, but I do believe, strongly, that ILB play is still highly critical to fielding a top 5 defense.

Don't know if you caught it, but I gave you an edit in the other post. Reid did say the rest of the positions are very important too.

Chiefshrink 02-10-2013 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 9391799)

Even moreso now that the Pistol/Veer opt will be in play to some degree going forward. Stellar LB play will be a must !

Priest31kc 02-10-2013 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefshrink (Post 9391800)
I think Reid and Dorsey are waiting on what happens with Albert before they commit to any 1st rd pick.

Reid may have tipped his honest hand a bit when he stated the "trench play" (O-lines and D-lines) come first.

If Albert wants too much we are taking Joekel.

If Albert plays ball we are taking Geno.

So a few million is going to be the difference between finally taking a potential franchise QB or going with a lateral move that doesn't make the team better any at all by taking a LT?

Okay.

Oh, and we just drafted 2 OTs in the 2nd & 3rd round last year.

Even if we don't re-sign Albert (Would be a crime if we don't), we don't need to take a ****ing LT. Stephenson would do just fine there.

But seriously, we have the money for Albert. He's one of the best LTs in football. You don't let that go. And we won't.

Chiefshrink 02-10-2013 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 9391802)
There isn't a single LT in this draft that any team should move up to take.

Not one.

No question, BUT let the poker play, play out and see where it all lands because everyone knows everyone in this league and they all talk to each other and we might see someone bite.

Chiefshrink 02-10-2013 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Priest31kc (Post 9391807)
So a few million is going to be the difference between finally taking a potential franchise QB or going with a lateral move that doesn't make the team better any at all by taking a LT?

Okay.

Oh, and we just drafted 2 OTs in the 2nd & 3rd round last year.

Even if we don't re-sign Albert (Would be a crime if we don't), we don't need to take a ****ing LT. Stephenson would do just fine there.

But seriously, we have the money for Albert. He's one of the best LTs in football. You don't let that go. And we won't.

Oh, I get your point ! BUT it all depends on what Reid/Dorsey think of Albert and our 2 OTs taken in the 2nd and 3rd rds last year. It really does !! This is what we really don't know at this point.

Coogs 02-10-2013 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefshrink (Post 9391804)
Even moreso now that the Pistol/Veer opt will be in play to some degree going forward. Stellar LB play will be a must !

I guess I must be in the minority again, but I am not all that concerned with our front seven. A good QB that can keep them on the sideline... and put points up at the end of a drive while said defense is resting... would be far greater than trying to upgrade personnel along the front seven early in the draft.

milkman 02-10-2013 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefshrink (Post 9391816)
Oh, I get your point ! BUT it all depends on what Reid/Dorsey think of Albert and our 2 OTs taken in the 2nd and 3rd rds last year. It really does !! This is what we really don't know at this point.

We do know that Reid really likes Albert, having wanted to draft him in '08 to play LT then.

Chiefshrink 02-10-2013 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 9391850)
We do know that Reid really likes Albert, having wanted to draft him in '08 to play LT then.

That's good to know and hopefully he has thought highly enough of his play since 08 to resign him and draft Geno:thumb:

Chiefshrink 02-10-2013 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coogs (Post 9391832)
I guess I must be in the minority again, but I am not all that concerned with our front seven. A good QB that can keep them on the sideline... and put points up at the end of a drive while said defense is resting... would be far greater than trying to upgrade personnel along the front seven early in the draft.

You make good points and I don't think you are in the minority here. Like you I don't see our D-line as that inferior at all compared to most BUT it has to be above average so that our LBs can make plays against those Pistol type QBs when need be.