ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Mike and Mike Talking about Geno going #1 overall (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271175)

ptlyon 03-15-2013 09:28 AM

Ok, just enough of all this ****ing nonsense of trading down.

No qb worthy of a #1, right? What they going to trade for, an OT? I'm no GM but even I know thats ****ing stupid.

Just ****ing stop now, please!

DJ's left nut 03-15-2013 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 9501456)
Ok, just enough of all this ****ing nonsense of trading down.

No qb worthy of a #1, right? What they going to trade for, an OT? I'm no GM but even I know thats ****ing stupid.

Just ****ing stop now, please!

Who said there's no QB worthy of a #1? Oh, that's right, extremely foolish people that are now backpeddling in a hurry.

There's going to be a trade down and it's going to be a decent one.

The Franchise 03-15-2013 09:33 AM

I would put it like this:

80% - Trade down
15% - OT
5% - QB

Mr_Tomahawk 03-15-2013 09:35 AM

So how soon do we know who we are trading down with...?

Or will we not find out till draft day?

KC_Lee 03-15-2013 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 9501470)

Correct me if I am wrong; anytime between now and the day of the draft.

DaKCMan AP 03-15-2013 09:36 AM

Quote:

If it happens, it will happen prior to draft day. That's still over 4 weeks away, though.

The Franchise 03-15-2013 09:37 AM

FWIW......the Rams traded the #2 pick away on March 12th, 2012.

The Franchise 03-15-2013 09:39 AM

Look....I'm not going to sit here and believe 100% that it's going to happen. I've already said that it has a 1-5% probability of happening. But I'm getting sick and tired of people that sit here and try feed me this bullshit that it has absolutely zero chance of happening.

Mr_Tomahawk 03-15-2013 09:40 AM

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

ptlyon 03-15-2013 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9501466)
Who said there's no QB worthy of a #1? Oh, that's right, extremely foolish people that are now backpeddling in a hurry.

There's going to be a trade down and it's going to be a decent one.

So if someone is worth it, why wouldn't we take them again?

Mr_Tomahawk 03-15-2013 09:40 AM

If someone wants Geno more than Jax, a trade will happen.

Simple.

DJ's left nut 03-15-2013 09:41 AM

Quote:

If someone offers the RGIII haul, you'll hear about it within hours of the offer being made because I can't imagine we let that person off the phone without having every detail wrapped up and the trade executed.

If not, then you'll have a few teams playing chicken with each other and scheduling workouts with Geno. The Chiefs at that point would be wise to just let the process play out and see which team really falls in love with the guy.

Coaches are involved now and coaches are what really make shit happen. When it's just the scouts, they can look dispassionately at Geno and say "eh, good QB...not great". When Doug Marrone gets in the room, however, he may very well turn to his scouts, tell them to STFU and say "That's the guy I'm building my team around. Get Nix on the phone; we're making this happen".

Now is the time that the human element surfaces and strange things start to happen. That's why the Chiefs will get a good price for Geno if they want it.

The Franchise 03-15-2013 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 9501489)
If someone wants Geno more than Jax, a trade will happen.

Simple.

I think it's realistically going to come down between the Eagles and the Bills.

ptlyon 03-15-2013 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9501484)
Look....I'm not going to sit here and believe 100% that it's going to happen. I've already said that it has a 1-5% probability of happening. But I'm getting sick and tired of people that sit here and try feed me this bullshit that it has absolutely zero chance of happening.

I've lost track, of what happening?

Vietnam58 03-15-2013 09:42 AM

its time to come to terms.......... we are not trading the number 1 pick or taking geno. .we are drafting a lineman. .either OT or DL . .

It sucks but its the reality. .

Chiefnj2 03-15-2013 09:42 AM

QB's always get hyped and pimped as the draft approaches. Barkley is going to look good also and then there will be arguments over who should go first Barkley or Smith.

Tannehill got the treatment last year, Locker/Ponder the year before. It's a QB driven league and it's the sexy position to talk about.

I think it's funny that they wait until his pro day to decide to turn on the media machine. It's not like he was a different QB yesterday than he was at WVU. It's not like he had a weak arm in college.

The Franchise 03-15-2013 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 9501497)
I've lost track, of what happening?

Of the Chiefs drafting Geno Smith at 1.1.

DJ's left nut 03-15-2013 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 9501487)
So if someone is worth it, why wouldn't we take them again?

Because this isn't Madden. There isn't one great big draft board in the sky that determines what Geno is 'worth'.

There are 32 teams and 100s of people that are all assigning their own values to each player. Somebody is going to believe Geno is worth that pick and probably multiple somebodies. Moreoever, some guys like Nix or even the Cardinals may not think he's truly 'worth' the 1.1 but that they have no choice but to take him to energize the fanbase.

His worth is set by the market, not some idiot goombah with a slicked back haircut and an overblown reputation for draft prognosticating. And the market will absolutely support the Chiefs getting a couple of high picks for him, even if Andy doesn't think he's worth 1.1.

ptlyon 03-15-2013 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9501504)
Of the Chiefs drafting Geno Smith at 1.1.

Got ya. I think there is a better chance than you are saying. If he nailed it like they say, and andy was impressed with him at the combine as they say, I don't think he would pass him up. If they do, we have the wrong regime. Again.

Messier 03-15-2013 09:47 AM

This could be good news for the Chiefs no matter what happens. As the NFL experts always say, you only need one team to fall in love with a player. And if this causes Smith to jump up the Chiefs board to one, all the better. I think Reid and Dorsey will take a QB with any of their picks if they see him as the best available at that spot.

Chiefnj2 03-15-2013 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 9501512)
Got ya. I think there is a better chance than you are saying. If he nailed it like they say, and andy was impressed with him at the combine as they say, I don't think he would pass him up. If they do, we have the wrong regime. Again.

Wasn't Andy in Oregon?

I don't think they can get up and definitively say Alex Smith is the starter and then take a QB 1.1.

Dayze 03-15-2013 09:50 AM

take him anyway even if they don't want him, then see if anyone later in the draft wants to trade for him?

is that possible, or is that moranic?

The Franchise 03-15-2013 09:50 AM

This would be hilarious.

The Chiefs trade with the Eagles for their #4 pick. The Anti-Geno people scream from the rooftops that they knew what they were talking about. The Chiefs would never draft a QB in the 1st round.

Then the Chiefs take Matt Barkley at #4.

ptlyon 03-15-2013 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9501506)
Because this isn't Madden. There isn't one great big draft board in the sky that determines what Geno is 'worth'.

There are 32 teams and 100s of people that are all assigning their own values to each player. Somebody is going to believe Geno is worth that pick and probably multiple somebodies. Moreoever, some guys like Nix or even the Cardinals may not think he's truly 'worth' the 1.1 but that they have no choice but to take him to energize the fanbase.

His worth is set by the market, not some idiot goombah with a slicked back haircut and an overblown reputation for draft prognosticating. And the market will absolutely support the Chiefs getting a couple of high picks for him, even if Andy doesn't think he's worth 1.1.

Thanks for the detailed explanation, but I hope you are wrong.

ptlyon 03-15-2013 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 9501528)
Wasn't Andy in Oregon?

I don't think they can get up and definitively say Alex Smith is the starter and then take a QB 1.1.

Sure they can. They can say he needs to develop, yada yada.

A. Smith won't be the starter come week 17 anyway.

ptlyon 03-15-2013 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9501530)
This would be hilarious.

The Chiefs trade with the Eagles for their #4 pick. The Anti-Geno people scream from the rooftops that they knew what they were talking about. The Chiefs would never draft a QB in the 1st round.

now that would be a nightmare

bevischief 03-15-2013 09:56 AM

:popcorn:LMAO

The Franchise 03-15-2013 09:59 AM

Tell me again why this doesn't work?

Veteran QB that can win now and doesn't have a lengthy contract? Check.
Youngish backup QB on basically a 1 year deal? Check.
First overall pick to take your QBoTF? Check.

Overall cap cost for all 3 QBs? Joe Flacco.

patteeu 03-15-2013 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 9501528)
Wasn't Andy in Oregon?

Someone posted that Andy Reid named Doug Pederson as his starter when he took over the Eagles, only to draft Donovan McNabb later that offseason with the 1.2.

The Franchise 03-15-2013 09:59 AM

Oh...and if Alex Smith gets an extension....then this is Matt Cassel v2.0.

Alex Smith doesn't deserve an extension.

Mr_Tomahawk 03-15-2013 10:00 AM

AZ needs a QB now...

ptlyon 03-15-2013 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9501555)

Just don't listen to them Pest, I'm almost done myself...

The Franchise 03-15-2013 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 9501561)
AZ needs a QB now...

But..but...

Stanton - $3 million a year
Hoyer - 2nd round tender

Mr. Laz 03-15-2013 10:02 AM

just knew Geno would make a late rise and end up being considered a top 8 pick

KC native 03-15-2013 10:02 AM

MAKE IT ****ING STOP. GOD****INGDAMNIT GENO SMITH SHOULD BE A ****ING CHIEF.

*Cue the reeruned 9ers fans to tell us Alex Cassell is better than Geno.

The Franchise 03-15-2013 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. SyphiLaz (Post 9501571)
just knew Geno would make a late rise and end up being considered a top 8 pick

You and everyone else that was smart.

InChiefsHeaven 03-15-2013 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9501555)

Here here. I've been saying this since the Alex Smith trade. Hell, Aaron Rogers sat for what, 4 years behind Favre before he came in and became the discount double check from hell...

The danger is, Alex smith WILL win some games, but he won't take you to the promised land. TAKE GENO...groom him, and stop worrying about a ****ing QB for the next 3 years, maybe longer depending on how he works out. The first pick doesn't cost what it used to.

WHAT IS THE RISK?

siberian khatru 03-15-2013 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9501445)
I give a ton of credit to Reid and Dorsey; they did a spectacular job of creating flexibility for the draft.

I think that is THE story of the offseason so far.

Marcellus 03-15-2013 10:10 AM

No way Reid and Dorsey use the 34th overall on A.Smith and the #1 on G.Smith and then create a QB controversy before the first game is played.

I would love to see it but it would turn into epic disaster because people would want to see Geno regardless of what Alex does.

ChiTown 03-15-2013 10:10 AM

I haven't been very vocal about this on the boards, but the Chiefs should absolutely take Geno Smith. There is nothing stopping them at this point. Yes, they have other needs to address, but no one in this draft has the upside that Geno brings. No one.

:thumb:Do it!

The Franchise 03-15-2013 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 9501594)
No way Reid and Dorsey use the 34th overall on A.Smith and the #1 on G.Smith and then create a QB controversy before the first game is played.

I would love to see it but it would turn into epic disaster because people would want to see Geno regardless of what Alex does.

That's ****ing bullshit. There wouldn't be a QB controversy if Andy Reid comes out day 1 and says that Alex Smith is his QB in 2013.

You know what spending the 1st overall on Geno Smith and #34 on Alex Smith does? It covers your ass on both ends.

kcxiv 03-15-2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9501603)
That's ****ing bullshit. There wouldn't be a QB controversy if Andy Reid comes out day 1 and says that Alex Smith is his QB in 2013.

You know what spending the 1st overall on Geno Smith and #34 on Alex Smith does? It covers your ass on both ends.

Yup. This would as a fan lets know they are serious about becoming an elite franchise. It would be trying and giving fans hope. Even true fans deep down know that Alex isn't the right guy.

siberian khatru 03-15-2013 10:22 AM

I am completely on board with taking Geno No. 1 and, as was said, completely covering your ass in the QB department.

However, I've always thought since the Alex trade that the Chiefs were intent on recouping that second-round pick by trading out of 1.1.

The Franchise 03-15-2013 10:24 AM

Alex Smith - $8.5 million
Chase Daniel - $1.75 million
Geno Smith - $4 million

$14.25 million total.

Joe Flacco = $20 million.

BlackHelicopters 03-15-2013 10:25 AM

Two dickheads talking about Geno? Great entertainment.

Beef Supreme 03-15-2013 10:33 AM

So you're saying there's a chance?

ptlyon 03-15-2013 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefTablet (Post 9501681)
So you're saying there's a chance?

No. Andy was in Oregon.

KC_Lee 03-15-2013 10:36 AM

Quote:

And there is precedence for this with Andy Reid.

Please see the case of Doug Pederson (our current QB coach) and Donavan McNabb.

Granted, Pederson was a FA and not a trade IIRC but still...

ChiTown 03-15-2013 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 9501635)
I am completely on board with taking Geno No. 1 and, as was said, completely covering your ass in the QB department.

However, I've always thought since the Alex trade that the Chiefs were intent on recouping that second-round pick by trading out of 1.1.

Oh, I'm in complete agreement there. You don't make the moves you've made at QB, and keep 1.1, imo. I think they covet some additional pieces in the first 3 rounds that they can get by trading out.

That said, I'd have a Battleship-Sized Boner if they drafted Geno 1.1 and threw caution to the wind. It's time, imo.

The Franchise 03-15-2013 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Lee (Post 9501701)
And there is precedence for this with Andy Reid.

Please see the case of Doug Pederson (our current QB coach) and Donavan McNabb.

Granted, Pederson was a FA and not a trade IIRC but still...

Pederson was also 31 years old. Only 2 years older than Alex Smith.

siberian khatru 03-15-2013 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiTown (Post 9501708)
Oh, I'm in complete agreement there. You don't make the moves you've made at QB, and keep 1.1, imo. I think they covet some additional pieces in the first 3 rounds that they can get by trading out.

That said, I'd have a Battleship-Sized Boner if they drafted Geno 1.1 and threw caution to the wind. It's time, imo.

I will break open my best scotch that Thursday night and be on Cloud 9 the rest of the weekend. Not only because I like Geno, but even more because of what it would say about the franchise: YOU GATDAM RIGHT WE VALUE THE QUARTERBACK POSITION.

Mr. Laz 03-15-2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9501642)
Alex Smith - $8.5 million
Chase Daniel - $1.75 million
Geno Smith - $4 million

$14.25 million total.

Joe Flacco = $20 million.

yea, but it's not the money.

we just paid a high,high 2nd round pick plus another draft pick in trade for Smith. Alex Smith just went through getting replaced by a draftee.

I just don't see it.

If they were going to draft Geno then they should of picked up a guy like David Gerrard or Hasselbeck. They could grab Kolb. You don't trade 2 draft picks for a guy and then draft another QB with the 1st pick.

Fat Elvis 03-15-2013 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. SyphiLaz (Post 9501743)

we just paid a high,high 2nd round pick plus another draft pick in trade for Smith. Alex Smith just went through getting replaced by a draftee.

I just don't see it.

If they were going to draft Geno then they should of picked up a guy like David Gerrard or Hasselbeck. They could grab Kolb. You don't trade 2 draft picks for a guy and then draft another QB with the 1st pick.

You do if you still plan on winning after one of your QBs go down with an injury.

The Franchise 03-15-2013 10:47 AM

Quote:

I just don't see it.

They're just ****ing draft picks.

And it's not horrible value....considering that we had one of the top 3 worst QB situations last year. Drafting Geno Smith would realistically fix that shit in one ****ing offseason. You know what you can do when you have your QB situation fixed completely? You can build a Super Bowl winning roster....complete with quality depth.

patteeu 03-15-2013 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InChiefsHell (Post 9501584)
Here here. I've been saying this since the Alex Smith trade. Hell, Aaron Rogers sat for what, 4 years behind Favre before he came in and became the discount double check from hell...

The danger is, Alex smith WILL win some games, but he won't take you to the promised land. TAKE GENO...groom him, and stop worrying about a ****ing QB for the next 3 years, maybe longer depending on how he works out. The first pick doesn't cost what it used to.

WHAT IS THE RISK?

The Packers had a future Hall of Fame QB running the show and Aaron Rodgers sat through an epic fall on draft day so it was pretty easy to sell the Green Bay fanbase (and probably Rodgers himself) on the idea that Rodgers should sit as an understudy for a few years. From a PR and QB controversy perspective, this would be a completely different situation, fwiw.

Chiefnj2 03-15-2013 10:47 AM

Quote:

Of course there would be a huge controversy. You don't want Geno to be drafted 1.1 and then sit on the bench the next 4 years while Smith continues his mediocre career.

Fat Elvis 03-15-2013 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9501754)
They're just ****ing draft picks.

And it's not horrible value....considering that we had one of the top 3 worst QB situations last year. Drafting Geno Smith would realistically fix that shit in one ****ing offseason. You know what you can do when you have your QB situation fixed completely? You can build a Super Bowl winning roster....complete with quality depth.

THIS. ALL OF THIS.

The Franchise 03-15-2013 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 9501757)
Of course there would be a huge controversy. You don't want Geno to be drafted 1.1 and then sit on the bench the next 4 years while Smith continues his mediocre career.

Where are you getting 4 years?

1. He's only under contract for 2.
2. If he's average and not getting KC over the hump....he'll be gone.

keg in kc 03-15-2013 10:49 AM

Chase Daniel is their "draft pick" on the bench.

Mr. Laz 03-15-2013 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Elvis (Post 9501752)
You do if you still plan on winning after one of your QBs go down with an injury.

keep the dream alive!!!!!!

LMAO

The Franchise 03-15-2013 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9501762)
Chase Daniel is their "draft pick" on the bench.

Chase Daniel is a career backup QB.

HemiEd 03-15-2013 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9501318)
If we don't take Geno at 1, we won't have a chance to draft a better qb for at least 45 years.

fixed it

DaKCMan AP 03-15-2013 10:50 AM

Quote:

I just don't see it.

As others have noted:

The Skins spent 3 1st round picks, a 2nd round pick, and a 3rd round pick on 2 QBs last year.

Geno + Alex would be 1 1st round pick, 1 2nd round pick, and a potential third undisclosed pick.

Fat Elvis 03-15-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. SyphiLaz (Post 9501763)
keep the dream alive!!!!!!

LMAO

Screw it then. Why have a starting QB in the first place if you don't plan on winning from the get go?:rolleyes:

ndws 03-15-2013 10:52 AM

correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Daniel contract voidable after the 1st year?

With a vet QB on roster named as starter now, it sounds like they could be setting the stage for a QB in the draft. Let the rookie duke it out in year #1 for the backup job, and allow him to eventually compete for the starting gig as he's ready for it.

keg in kc 03-15-2013 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9501766)

And he went undrafted.

Still doesn't change the fact that I think he's their contingency plan when ASmith goes down.

I can't believe people are still trying to keep hope alive on this one. It's like you're asking the team to kick you in the nuts.

DaKCMan AP 03-15-2013 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9501755)
The Packers had a future Hall of Fame QB running the show and Aaron Rodgers sat through an epic fall on draft day so it was pretty easy to sell the Green Bay fanbase (and probably Rodgers himself) on the idea that Rodgers should sit as an understudy for a few years. From a PR and QB controversy perspective, this would be a completely different situation, fwiw.

Not the same exact scenario but see the Titans in 2011 drafting a QB at #8 overall, signing a vet. QB and starting the vet for a year.

DJ's left nut 03-15-2013 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndws (Post 9501779)
correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Daniel contract voidable after the 1st year?

With a vet QB on roster named as starter now, it sounds like they could be setting the stage for a QB in the draft. Let the rookie duke it out in year #1 for the backup job, and allow him to eventually compete for the starting gig as he's ready for it.

Every NFL contract is 'voidable'; they're not guaranteed.

What you're reading when you see 'voidable' is that Chase Daniel can opt out of it if he throws 12 TDs and 2K yards.

Sure, they can cut Daniel after 2013 and accelerate the remaining $2 million onto the cap, plus his $1 million in guaranteed salary...but it would be stupid. His cap figure for 2014 is going to be right at $3.85 million. If you cut him, his dead money is $3 million. You can't get a veteran backup, even a shitty one, for the $850k cap savings you'd take by releasing him.

Daniel will probably be gone in 2015 when his base salary is $3.75 million and none of it's guaranteed, but he's here for the next 2 years without question.

The Franchise 03-15-2013 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9501792)

What you're reading when you see 'voidable' is that Chase Daniel can opt out of it if he throws 12 TDs and 2K yards.

Sure, they can cut Daniel after 2013 and accelerate the remaining $2 million onto the cap, plus his $1 million in guaranteed salary...but it would be stupid. His cap figure for 2014 is going to be right at $3.85 million in 2014. If you cut him, his dead money is $3 million. You can't get a veteran backup, even a shitty one, for the $850k cap savings you'd take by releasing him.

Daniel will probably be gone in 2015 when his base salary is $3.75 million and none of it's guaranteed, but he's here for the next 2 years without question.

Alex Smith on the other hand is not guaranteed to be here after this year.

Chiefnj2 03-15-2013 10:56 AM

Maybe Jessica Alba won't get a restraining order against me this time. She'll fall in love with me. s/ Typical Chiefs fan.

DJ's left nut 03-15-2013 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9501793)
Alex Smith on the other hand is not guaranteed to be here after this year.

Truth.

His salary is guaranteed for 2014, but you could trade him and the guaranteed salary goes with him.

But I expect him to be in the top half of QBs in the NFL next season, so I don't see us trading him.

Dave Lane 03-15-2013 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9501530)
This would be hilarious.

Change that to Buffalo and I'd be in

Mr. Laz 03-15-2013 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Elvis (Post 9501777)
Screw it then. Why have a starting QB in the first place if you don't plan on winning from the get go?:rolleyes:

why are you getting mad at me?

I didn't want Alex Smith ... i didn't trade for Alex Smith ... i didn't sign Chase Daniels.

I've said several times that the Chiefs situation was to take a shot and draft Geno Smith. That Geno Smith had the potential and would be considered a top 8 draft pick by the time the draft rolled around. No player was really worth at top 5 pick this year so that if you are going to reach then you reach for a QB.

I'm just going by what the Chiefs APPEAR to be doing.

LOL at people getting mad because they aren't hearing what they want to hear.

ptlyon 03-15-2013 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9501802)

But I expect him to be in the top half of QBs in the NFL next season, so I don't see us trading him.

Not on IR he ain't

The Franchise 03-15-2013 11:01 AM

The thing is....no one has any clue what the Chiefs are doing right now.

No one realistically before FA thought the Chiefs were going to be THIS active. They've effectively filled 70-80% of the holes on this team before the draft.

They realistically, with the way this team is built, could draft a QB at 1.1 if they want to. That's the thing....no one has a ****ing clue what they want.

ndws 03-15-2013 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9501792)

Sure, they can cut Daniel after 2013 and accelerate the remaining $2 million onto the cap, plus his $1 million in guaranteed salary...but it would be stupid. His cap figure for 2014 is going to be right at $3.85 million. If you cut him, his dead money is $3 million. You can't get a veteran backup, even a shitty one, for the $850k cap savings you'd take by releasing him.

I hadn't really looked into his contract all that much to begin with, just thought I had heard that anything guaranteed was only in the first year. What you say makes sense.

I still think they are setting the table though. I was against drafting Geno without a vet on roster, but with the changes that have been made, especially at so many places of need, I would almost be surprised if we didn't take Geno first overall now and advance him at his own pace.

Frazod 03-15-2013 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9501766)

Yep. He must really suck, having played every game of his pro career behind that Brees guy. I mean, if you can't unseat a Super Bowl winning future Hall of Famer who never missed a start, you must really suck, right?

Terrible.

:shake:

bevischief 03-15-2013 11:05 AM

:popcorn:

patteeu 03-15-2013 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 9501782)
Not the same exact scenario but see the Titans in 2011 drafting a QB at #8 overall, signing a vet. QB and starting the vet for a year.

That's definitely a better comparison.

OrtonsPiercedTaint 03-15-2013 11:06 AM

It is not hard to believe that Reid thinks he can trade Alex Smith and get most his investment in picks back. He's traded "backups" before with good success.