ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports Is golf a sport tom watson wears depends and a 14 year old ? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=272046)

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 04-12-2013 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braincase (Post 9582308)
Sports are as much about finesse and accuracy as they are about shear power. Golf is a sport, and one of the most difficult sports to master. Get you handicap below 10, and then grunt/groan/bitch/moan.

Tell you what, 20 dollar Nassau, any golf course in KC, your choice. Week of April 22nd.

Yeah. That'll convince him. ****ing moron

Hammock Parties 04-12-2013 10:27 PM

Golf is a sport!

http://www2.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/P...hX3qVxuv7l.jpg

http://o.static.foxsports.com/conten...07_600_400.JPG

TribalElder 04-12-2013 10:38 PM

Tom Watson is the man

Depends or not

You can suck it

EdmontonChiefsFan 04-12-2013 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcarus (Post 9582336)
Go play Call of Duty. Play 18 whole matches of Team Deathmatch and IF you manage to get a kill death ratio of 2.0 or higher come back here and say it isn't a sport. Until then STFU !!!!!! (but really I agree with you that golf is a sport)

Fair point, but it's not quite the same. There are many things that are hard and require hours/days/weeks/years of dedication and persistence. My point was, nobody could become a par golfer without being able to recognize it as a sport, which it most definitely is.

lcarus 04-12-2013 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdmontonChiefsFan (Post 9582364)
Fair point, but it's not quite the same. There are many things that are hard and require hours/days/weeks/years of dedication and persistence. My point was, nobody could become a par golfer without being able to recognize it as a sport, which it most definitely is.

I'm not sure I understand. Out of all the activities that require large amounts of time and dedication in order to succeed, golf is one of those activities, but on top of dedicating the same time and dedication you would in other activities, you'd have to define the activity as a "sport" in your mind? What if someone wanted to get good at golf but didn't think it was a sport at all, but rather a fun activity no different than chess, competitive video games, or guitar playing?

EdmontonChiefsFan 04-12-2013 11:12 PM

It's not up to me to define what "is" and what "is not" a sport, and I am not trying to do so. My only point is I challenge anybody to shoot par and then say "golf is not a sport". That is all.

Simply Red 04-12-2013 11:26 PM

but my thing is - Golf is not really a sport.

lcarus 04-12-2013 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdmontonChiefsFan (Post 9582387)
It's not up to me to define what "is" and what "is not" a sport, and I am not trying to do so. My only point is I challenge anybody to shoot par and then say "golf is not a sport". That is all.

I agree with you that golf is a sport. A sport requires physical athleticism and/or physical dexterity. The people who don't consider it a sport feel that way because they perceive the word to mean something more in line with how they personally see the word used. In one person's world of "sports" they may watch or play football, basketball, and wrestling, and golf just doesn't seem to fit.

Now if they wanna call it a pussy sport, fair enough lol.

Hammock Parties 04-12-2013 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdmontonChiefsFan (Post 9582387)

It's definitely a sport.

And so is bowling!

Simply Red 04-12-2013 11:37 PM

there's just nothing reactionary - it's more like bocce ball or billiards, maybe snooker - yes - it's very similar to Snooker. I don't consider Snooker a sport, it's just like that - it's a game, at best.

'Hamas' Jenkins 04-12-2013 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 9582418)
there's just nothing reactionary - .

More informational than argumentative, but this is about 99% true, as truly elite golfers can actually save a poor swing with perfect timing in their hands. Tiger Woods used to do it all the time when he'd get "stuck".

lcarus 04-12-2013 11:42 PM

There's a site called ProCon.org, which describes itself as a nonpartisan research organization devoted to critical thinking on controversial issues (lol) and they had this debate. People use the definition of "sport" and "game" and it's basically kinda...both. Popular Science determined that whether one would call golf a sport or not depends on if you have a set of clubs in the garage.

Shit like this fascinates me. I had a big stupid argument with a co-worker about whether a "pastel" is a painting or not. I claimed that calling it a pastel was fine, he was adamant that calling it a painting was wrong and that I was an idiot. The American Association of Pastels (or something like that, I can't remember) claimed that pastels were paintings. I talked to other artists that said they were not.

So basically what shit like this comes down to is...nobody is really right or wrong. It's just like...your opinion man. After seeing debates and having debates about shit like this, I've come to the conclusion that dictionary definitions can basically go **** themselves. Language isn't set in stone for all eternity. Language and words evolve and change meaning and become new meanings all the time.

If I say "Hey that homosexual on CP was a real ass today" and EVERYONE knows that I meant Blackbob, does it really matter whether he truly likes penis or not? If I say a word and it is clearly understood, does the true Merriam-Webster definition matter?

Simply Red 04-12-2013 11:45 PM

http://i.imgur.com/xjcZKuT.jpg

stevieray 04-12-2013 11:46 PM

damn..that must be why the golf clubs are in the kitchen ware department..

:rolleyes:

lcarus 04-12-2013 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevieray (Post 9582433)
damn..that must be why the golf clubs are in the kitchen ware department..

:rolleyes:

A golfer could out putt me with a nice pair of BBQ tongs. A pool shark could beat me at pool with a tire iron.

That doesn't have any significance to anything. I just felt like saying it.

stevieray 04-12-2013 11:49 PM

Putters on sale at Bed Bath and Beyond

This Weekend Only!

stevieray 04-12-2013 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcarus (Post 9582435)
A golfer could out putt me with a nice pair of BBQ tongs. A pool shark could beat me at pool with a tire iron.

That doesn't have any significance to anything. I just felt like saying it.

:rockon:

lcarus 04-12-2013 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevieray (Post 9582436)
Putters on sale at Bed Bath and Beyond

This Weekend Only!

Holy crap, they really are!

http://images.cb2.com/is/image/CB2/C...=1000&hei=1000

It's not as good as a Titleist, but it could get the job done.

stevieray 04-12-2013 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcarus (Post 9582441)
Holy crap, they really are!

It's not as good as a Titleist, but it could get the job done.

rockoff...that's clearly a wedge

lcarus 04-12-2013 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevieray (Post 9582450)
rockoff

Tiger could give me his set of clubs and use nothing but his feet and still beat me by 30 strokes.

stevieray 04-13-2013 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcarus (Post 9582451)
Tiger could give me his set of clubs and use nothing but his feet and still beat me by 30 strokes.

ooooooooooooooooooooooook

Gonzo 04-13-2013 12:06 AM

Hey guys is bowling a sport cuz will manjensen wear cup and can has 12 year old. I love lamp.

lcarus 04-13-2013 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzo (Post 9582464)
Hey guys is bowling a sport cuz will manjensen wear cup and can has 12 year old. I love lamp.

You can pull a hammy bowling, so yeah it's a sport. Well crap, then I guess masturbating in a kiddy pool full of lasagna has to be a sport too. Nevermind...

hometeam 04-13-2013 12:11 AM

Quote:

ROFLROFL

SLAG 04-13-2013 12:34 AM

Golf is a sport in the same way that women are allowed to work

Dylan 04-13-2013 01:03 AM

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ehRWmA11kqs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bushwacker: America's greatest athlete - The best of all time.
World Champion. He even has his own Fathead wall poster.

Stewie 04-13-2013 06:45 AM

The only real sport is the decathlon and the only real athletes are decathletes. Nothing else compares.

Al Bundy 04-13-2013 06:59 AM

Golf is an activity, but it isn't a sport.

Spott 04-13-2013 07:16 AM

It's a non athletic sport. You can be an athlete that plays golf but you don't have to be an athlete to be any good at it. It's about the same as playing billiards but doing it outside. Watson just about beat all these guys a couple of years ago in one of the majors. There's no real athleticism involved if a 60 year old can go toe to toe with a bunch of 20 something year olds for 4 days.

GloryDayz 04-13-2013 07:30 AM

:spock::spock::spock::spock:

http://img.bleacherreport.net/img/im...340&h=234&q=75

:hmmm::hmmm::hmmm::hmmm:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonton Prejudice (Post 9582349)

Gonzo 04-13-2013 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Bundy (Post 9582767)
Golf is an activity, but it isn't a sport.

This is true when:
You ride in a cart, smoke a pack of camels and drink a 6 pack.

This is not true when:
You carry your clubs for 18 holes, you physically strengthen yourself and train your body in order to better yourself for the game.

Is archery a sport? What about competitive shooting? It all depends on how hard you work at it.

milkman 04-13-2013 08:14 AM

On what part of his body does Tom Watson wear a 14 year old?

morphius 04-13-2013 08:31 AM

Quote:

As a bowler with years of over 200 averages, and even some injuries, I will say that I just don't consider it nor golf sports. But I also don't consider racing, driving or running, to be sports either. Pretty much my definition follows along the line of it being an athletic competition where the opponent has a direct influence on the opposite opponent. I know others have some higher standards, because my def allows ping pong to be a sport, lol.

Deberg_1990 04-13-2013 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzo (Post 9582823)

Is archery a sport? What about competitive shooting? It all depends on how hard you work at it.

These are learned skillsets. Like bowling and swinging a golf club. Not much athleticism involved.

ChiefRocka 04-13-2013 08:41 AM

Yeah and in today's game almost all fat, young and old golfers can't compete.

Pasta Little Brioni 04-13-2013 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 9582792)
:spock::spock::spock::spock:

http://img.bleacherreport.net/img/im...340&h=234&q=75

:hmmm::hmmm::hmmm::hmmm:

You do realize those fat ****s in the above picture can probably out run your ass and lift your car mentos style, while the fat ****s below well they could still probably out run you, but they can't even power walk ROFL

lcarus 04-13-2013 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 9582894)
You do realize those fat ****s in the above picture can probably out run your ass and lift your car mentos style, while the fat ****s below well they could still probably out run you, but they can't even power walk ROFL

Mentos style lol. Yeah those dudes can all probably run 5.0 40s. Half a second slower than Jamaal Charles basically lol. They're pretty fast considering they're huge.

Chief Roundup 04-13-2013 09:14 AM

Golf is definitely a sport. A damn hard one too. If you disagree oh well you are not in the majority so get over it.

Rausch 04-13-2013 09:16 AM

Golf is a skill.

It's like Darts, Bowling, or knowing how to get your wife to cook on gameday and consider it a compliment...

Pasta Little Brioni 04-13-2013 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 9582954)
Golf is definitely a sport. A damn hard one too. If you disagree oh well you are not in the majority so get over it.

I call bullshit on that

Discuss Thrower 04-13-2013 09:18 AM

Man vs man. Man vs the weather / course. Man vs himself.

Just because its a game played by duffers and old codgers on the weekends doesn't it make it any less of a sport.

Rausch 04-13-2013 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 9582971)
Man vs man. Man vs the weather / course. Man vs himself.

Just because its a game played by duffers and old codgers on the weekends doesn't it make it any less of a sport.

Or......

http://www.d.umn.edu/~elli0439/peter_griffin.jpg

Chief Roundup 04-13-2013 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 9582968)
I call bullshit on that

Here is the very definition. Most people agree in the definition as well.
Sport: is an activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively. Sports commonly refer to activities where the physical capabilities of the competitor are the sole or primary determiner of the outcome (winning or losing), but the term is also used to include activities such as mind sports and motor sports where mental acuity or equipment quality are major factors.

Sport: Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.

Sport: An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.

Therefore Golf is a sport and the majority of educated people would agree with that whether or not they like the sport.

J Diddy 04-13-2013 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 9582849)
On what part of his body does Tom Watson wear a 14 year old?

depends

Rausch 04-13-2013 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Diddy (Post 9583035)
depends

LMAO

Rausch 04-13-2013 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Diddy (Post 9583035)
depends

It says I have to spread it around more but there's no way I agree with you this much...:hmmm:

lcarus 04-13-2013 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9583038)
It says I have to spread it around more but there's no way I agree with you this much...:hmmm:

More Rausch love for the rest of us!

morphius 04-13-2013 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 9583023)
Here is the very definition. Most people agree in the definition as well.
Sport: is an activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively. Sports commonly refer to activities where the physical capabilities of the competitor are the sole or primary determiner of the outcome (winning or losing), but the term is also used to include activities such as mind sports and motor sports where mental acuity or equipment quality are major factors.

Sport: Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.

Sport: An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.

Therefore Golf is a sport and the majority of educated people would agree with that whether or not they like the sport.

Yes, but using that definition card games and checkers are sports since they are mind games. What the rest of us are saying is that the definition has become to vague. Nobody is saying that it is easy to be good at, or that we don't like golf, but just because some people want to call everything they do a sport, doesn't mean that it should be.

- edit - Hell, by the definition the jokers on that stupid cable show bidding on storage sheds could be a sport. Trying to get others to spend their money by forcing them to bid up is a mind game...

Chief Roundup 04-13-2013 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morphius (Post 9583074)
Yes, but using that definition card games and checkers are sports since they are mind games. What the rest of us are saying is that the definition has become to vague. Nobody is saying that it is easy to be good at, or that we don't like golf, but just because some people want to call everything they do a sport, doesn't mean that it should be.

Only if you are using just one of the definitions I provided. A person has to use all of those definitions together to get to the best categorization. A sport still has to be physical with exertion and rules governing that physicality as well as a skill that works with that physicality.

LiveSteam 04-13-2013 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barry_smilez20 (Post 9581123)
Non sport

Girly ball

GloryDayz 04-13-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 9582894)

But but but but, I have a truck........but I get your point. I'm just pointing out that washboard abs isn't a requirement to be an athlete.

The truth is, beyond common sense, it's difficult to define a sport. Many have argues that baseball isn't based on the number of fat guys in the sport. Some argue that there has to be some kind of increased and sustained heart rate.

I don't know, but we'll debate this lame topic for years to come...

Hammock Parties 04-13-2013 11:23 AM

The worst thing about the masters is all the time spent wasting watching dipshits who are +8 today.

Who gives a shit?

And then the announcers spooge over some great shot they made.

Who gives a shit? They're +8.

Brock 04-13-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9582960)
Golf is a skill.

It's like Darts, Bowling, or knowing how to get your wife to cook on gameday and consider it a compliment...

Yeah, golf is exactly like darts and bowling. Jesus Christ.

:facepalm:

BWillie 04-13-2013 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barry_smilez20 (Post 9581123)
Non sport

If men are better at it than women it is a sport

Hootie 04-13-2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 9583486)
If men are better at it than women it is a sport

so life is a sport?

Rausch 04-13-2013 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 9583315)
Yeah, golf is exactly like darts and bowling. Jesus Christ.

:facepalm:

It requires a gift to have ball placement. Short or long game - that's true.

There are people who can or can't. You have it or you don't.

But it's still bowling for the rich. The more you think about it the more it truly is the same.

Brock 04-13-2013 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9583509)
It requires a gift to have ball placement. Short or long game - that's true.

There are people who can or can't. You have it or you don't.

But it's still bowling for the rich. The more you think about it the more it truly is the same.

I think you haven't thought about it enough with a club in your hands. The more you think about it, the more that's true.

Rausch 04-13-2013 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 9583511)
I think you haven't thought about it enough with a club in your hands. The more you think about it, the more that's true.

I've had lessons, worked as a kid for a CC, and spent hours on the range using stolen drivers to pound range balls.

I won't deny there is an inherent talent. Some angry 17 year old, unlimited course time, and some clubs make not a good golfer.

At the same time you can't compare that to most sports...

Hootie 04-13-2013 01:11 PM

anybody who considers golf not to be a sport probably

A) doesn't golf

or

B) is a super shitty golfer

Brock 04-13-2013 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9583525)
I've had lessons, worked as a kid for a CC, and spent hours on the range using stolen drivers to pound range balls.

I won't deny there is an inherent talent. Some angry 17 year old, unlimited course time, and some clubs make not a good golfer.

At the same time you can't compare that to most sports...

I'm sure it was just an amazing coincidence that the greatest golfer of our time approached the game like an athlete would.

morphius 04-13-2013 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 9583534)
I'm sure it was just an amazing coincidence that the greatest golfer of our time approached the game like an athlete would.

ROFLMAO! Thanks, I needed that.

Brock 04-13-2013 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morphius (Post 9583596)
ROFLMAO! Thanks, I needed that.

I have no idea what that means.

Stewie 04-13-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peyton's Princess (Post 9583531)
anybody who considers golf not to be a sport probably

A) doesn't golf

or

B) is a super shitty golfer

I've found the biggest haters are the non-athletes that can barely hit a golf ball... if at all. Most of them are uncoordinated buffoons that can't get out of their own way without tripping. They think the game sucks because they suck at the game.

Look at all the professional athletes from other sports that absolutely LOVE playing golf. It's a challenge that's simple, but really difficult.

morphius 04-13-2013 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 9583602)
I have no idea what that means.

I know you don't.

I find it damn funny about how defensive people are about it. Nobody is saying that it is easy to do, nobody is saying that being in better shape doesn't help. But broken down, it is just you against yourself and the elements. FTR, I don't even consider the 100 yard dash a sport either, it is a race and on the olympic level those guys are studs. Same with male gymnastics, not a sport, but damn those are some real athletes.

Brock 04-13-2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morphius (Post 9583640)
I know you don't.

I find it damn funny about how defensive people are about it. Nobody is saying that it is easy to do, nobody is saying that being in better shape doesn't help. But broken down, it is just you against yourself and the elements. FTR, I don't even consider the 100 yard dash a sport either, it is a race and on the olympic level those guys are studs. Same with male gymnastics, not a sport, but damn those are some real athletes.

Well, when people are stupidly comparing it to darts and bowling, or any other sport where you can be drunk and excel at it, they are saying that it's easy to do, and that being in better shape doesn't help. What's next, comparing it to ****ing billiards and pinball? Golf is defined as a sport by any credible definition, anyone saying it isn't simply has no concept of the body mechanics involved, nor of the definition of the word "sport".

Braincase 04-13-2013 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie (Post 9583629)
I've found the biggest haters are the non-athletes that can barely hit a golf ball... if at all. Most of them are uncoordinated buffoons that can't get out of their own way without tripping. They think the game sucks because they suck at the game.

Look at all the professional athletes from other sports that absolutely LOVE playing golf. It's a challenge that's simple, but really difficult.

The beautiful thing about it is that no two courses are the same. Par varies from course to course, muni courses so wide-open that a hack like me can break 80, followed by private clubs that will drive the average golfer insane with their slope, false fronts, water hazards and greens slicker than goose shit.

MeatRock 04-13-2013 02:32 PM

Golf is a sport but it's a non athletic sport. You don't have to be an athlete to play it or be good at it.

morphius 04-13-2013 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 9583643)
Well, when people are stupidly comparing it to darts and bowling, or any other sport where you can be drunk and excel at it, they are saying that it's easy to do, and that being in better shape doesn't help. What's next, comparing it to ****ing billiards and pinball? Golf is defined as a sport by any credible definition, anyone saying it isn't simply has no concept of the body mechanics involved, nor of the definition of the word "sport".

You are going to have to show me the 220+ average bowlers that drinks a lot while they do it, I think you don't know all the work and on the fly adjustments a good bowler has to make. I know a lot of decent golfers who drink a damn lot while they golf as a counter point.

For me it is simple, the definition of sport is way too vague and golf shouldn't be one. To me, a sport would have someone trying to stop you from getting that ball in the hole.

Stewie 04-13-2013 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeatRock (Post 9583652)
Golf is a sport but it's a non athletic sport. You don't have to be an athlete to play it or be good at it.

Tell that to Michael Jordan. He'll laugh in your face.

Brock 04-13-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morphius (Post 9583654)
You are going to have to show me the 220+ average bowlers that drinks a lot while they do it, I think you don't know all the work and on the fly adjustments a good bowler has to make. I know a lot of decent golfers who drink a damn lot while they golf as a counter point.

For me it is simple, the definition of sport is way too vague and golf shouldn't be one. To me, a sport would have someone trying to stop you from getting that ball in the hole.

An average guy can walk into a bowling alley and be a mediocre bowler in about an hour. Try that on a golf course. The fact that you think track and field isn't sport pretty much makes your definition of the word irrelevant by anyone's standard.

morphius 04-13-2013 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 9583661)
An average guy can walk into a bowling alley and be a mediocre bowler in about an hour. Try that on a golf course. The fact that you think track and field isn't sport pretty much makes your definition of the word irrelevant by anyone's standard.

Well, they do call it the olympic games, not the olympic sports for a reason I figure...

MeatRock 04-13-2013 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie (Post 9583659)
Tell that to Michael Jordan. He'll laugh in your face.

Ok you are right. Let me rephrase what i meant. Golf is not a physically demanding sport like others IMO. It is a precision sport.

Pasta Little Brioni 04-13-2013 02:55 PM

Yup, it has caused the yuppie butthurt to flow.

morphius 04-13-2013 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 9583683)
Yup, it has caused the yuppie butthurt to flow.

Yup, for some reason you tell someone what they love is not a sport and they bitch like an upset little woman. You can even agree that it isn't easy, but they still can't hold back the whine...

morphius 04-13-2013 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 9583661)

I know a ton of 160-180 bowlers that also just never get any better than mediocre, doing it for years...

Braincase 04-13-2013 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morphius (Post 9583654)
To me, a sport would have someone trying to stop you from getting that ball in the hole.

There is. The guy that designed the course.

morphius 04-13-2013 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braincase (Post 9583724)
There is. The guy that designed the course.

Not buying that one, sorry. If they didn't want you to make it in the hole they could make the green 2 feet wide in the middle of a lake at 400 yards that you have to get to on a boat.

Hootie 04-13-2013 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeatRock (Post 9583652)

Incorrect.

If you're good at golf, you are a good athlete.

Golfing is not like bowling. In order to be a GOOD golfer...you HAVE to be athletic.

This isn't debatable.

Hootie 04-13-2013 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morphius (Post 9583707)
I know a ton of 160-180 bowlers that also just never get any better than mediocre, doing it for years...

ok but, being a casual league bowler with a 185 average...

you're right

that's totally average in terms of bowling

but to the average joe who bowls twice a year...when you tell them you have a 185 average they think you're god

I went from not having any idea on how to bowl to learning how to throw a hook, to learning how to throw a hook correctly...to learning where to stand to pick up spares to learning how to adjust

in about a week

bowling is a skill
golf is a sport

Hootie 04-13-2013 03:20 PM

and I know this because the kid's family who owns the bowling alley...he was one of the kids in high school P.E. who would shoot layups like he was a ****ing reerun...most uncoordinated kid of all time

he's a 230 bowler...amazing...shoots 5-6 300s every league

there is no such thing as a scratch golfer who isn't coordinated or athletic...

this is honestly not a debate; anyone who thinks a scratch golfer isn't an athlete is wrong and is ignorant