ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Poop Yep, Alex Smith is here to stay. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=272560)

ayleswbj 04-28-2013 04:25 AM

I know that Alex is ripped on here quite often, I am one of the people who is a supporter of the trade. 2nd round was steep for sure, but i think pretty highly of Alex. If you look closely at his numbers you can see that 27 of his ints and half of his lost fumbles came within his first 2 years. That was a 20 year old kid who just wasnt ready to play. Take the worst recent Chiefs team and times that by 50 and that was the team he played with his first 3 years.
Mike Nolan almost ended his career by throwing him under the bus and saying he wasnt injured when he needed his shoulder reconstructed. all the talent the 49ers have and everyone of them says he is the toughest player they know. I am pretty intrigued by what he will do. I watched all of his games at Utah and followed him, he is extremely intelligent. His mother actually was begging him to play football at Harvard but he wanted to play at a major college. He graduated in 2 years there. He knows the WC system well having been under Mike Mcarthy so there wont be a huge learning curve. I think our team has quite a bit of talent to put around him as well. Anyhow for all the bashing we have to admit he brings something fresh to our team. Smart, extremely tough, rarely turns the ball over. He is accurate and his yrd per attempt are really good which is a huge measure among NFL evaluators. Its an indication of if a QB can really read multiple defenses in a short amount of time. Even if he is dink an dunk he did it for a reason. But yes a second rounder is steep for almost anyone these days with the way the NFL goes. I just think Reid likes him as much as me.

J Diddy 04-28-2013 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New World Order (Post 9640004)
I like when you debate with an Alex Smith supporter the first 6 years don't count, but suddenly when all the pieces are in place the last 1.5 seasons in his career are the only ones that count. Let's not rule out that for years he faced the weakest division in the entire NFL.

It's really hard handing the ball off to Frank Gore isn't it Smith Fan?

Like it's going to be hard handing it off to Jamaal Charles. Truth be told his stats would be very similar to Eli's except that Eli has managed to remain healthy.

We don't focus on the last 4 years what we see is gradual improvement over the last 4 and a lot of misses games (which is my biggest fear)

ayleswbj 04-28-2013 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Diddy (Post 9640080)
Like it's going to be hard handing it off to Jamaal Charles. Truth be told his stats would be very similar to Eli's except that Eli has managed to remain healthy.

We don't focus on the last 4 years what we see is gradual improvement over the last 4 and a lot of misses games (which is my biggest fear)

I agree on the missed games, its a concern with any Qb who has had 2 shoulder reconstructions. He has been pretty healthy for awhile, the concussion just happens. With the way the NFL is today there is no avoiding missed time. He never would have missed games except Nolan threw him in there while his shoulder wasnt healed and then had to have another one. But in his second year he became one of the only QBs in NFL history to start and actually play every single snap of every game. He never once came out. I think that is more of the Alex we are getting. The freak shoulder is a thing of the past. I guess we will find out, because Alex has stated publicly he will take a sack to avoid turnovers and keep field position for the D. All those sacks add up

ayleswbj 04-28-2013 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New World Order (Post 9640004)
I like when you debate with an Alex Smith supporter the first 6 years don't count, but suddenly when all the pieces are in place the last 1.5 seasons in his career are the only ones that count. Let's not rule out that for years he faced the weakest division in the entire NFL.

It's really hard handing the ball off to Frank Gore isn't it Smith Fan?

Steve Youngs first 6 years in Pro Football: 40 TD and 46 ints and 54% completion. Didnt become a full time starter until 29. Total late bloomer and had a rollercoaster beginning to his career. USFL, Tampa Bay, Then played back up for a long time. Different but definitely in line with Smith's crazy career.

Ultra Peanut 04-28-2013 06:03 AM

Know who else got a late start to QB stardom?

That's right: Hitler.

the Talking Can 04-28-2013 06:09 AM

you don't trade 2 seconds for a QB that was benched...

sorry, meant to say: you don't trade 2 seconds for a QB that was benched and then not sign him to a long term contract....he'll be extended next year

and will be our QB until the next 49er backup is available...per Clark Hunt

cockeyes 04-28-2013 06:09 AM

Did you guys think they traded two second round picks for him so he could QB this team for only one year?

This isn't rocket science. Reid/Dorsey believe in him.

gblowfish 04-28-2013 07:42 AM

If Alex Smiff shows a penchant for throwing six yard passes on third and eight, then I will annoint him Elvis Bono and call for his crucifixion.

Until then, I'm willing to give the guy a chance.

No reason to freak out until we see how he does.

milkman 04-28-2013 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 9640171)
If Alex Smiff shows a penchant for throwing six yard passes on third and eight, then I will annoint him Elvis Bono and call for his crucifixion.

The 9ers had one of the worst 3rd down conversion percentages in the league for exactly this reason.

MTG#10 04-28-2013 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9638188)
It's pretty clear at this point that Alex was the best move we could have made unless we were going to hope for another 2-14 season next year. As long as they don't give him an extension before he shows that he doesn't suck, I'm fine with it.

Are you fine with what we gave up for him?
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoChargers (Post 9639990)
Who had the better coaching and supporting cast the last two years: Philip Rivers, or Alex Smith?

Who's been benched for Shaun Hill, David Carr, Troy Smith, J.T. O'Sullivan, and Colin Kaepernick: Philip Rivers, or Alex Smith?

Who has an atrocious 2-27-1 record in games where the other team scores 24+ points: Philip Rivers, or Alex Smith?

Checkmate

Mother****erJones 04-28-2013 08:45 AM

This place will be lit on fire if Alex bombs his first game and throws 3 INTs. Need that GIF of the guy catching on fire and falling out of the window

Dave Lane 04-28-2013 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by banyon (Post 9637965)
Which was pretty much the Matt Cassel plan. Awesome.

Worked well before. Glad to repeat history yet again.

Dave Lane 04-28-2013 08:49 AM

http://www.documentingreality.com/fo...indow_fall.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mother****erJones (Post 9640288)
This place will be lit on fire if Alex bombs his first game and throws 3 INTs. Need that GIF of the guy catching on fire and falling out of the window

Simply Red 04-28-2013 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 9637936)
They almost look like they didn't take a QB to avoid upsetting Alex.

ROFL

Messier 04-28-2013 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mother****erJones (Post 9640288)

Not predicting awesomeness, but I'll wager there will be several, huh, Smith is better than I thoughts, on here. I'm saying this, again, not because i think he's gonna be incredible, but if people really think he's Cassel II, they're going to be pleasantly surprised.

I'm also basing this on the reaction several had when his highlight video was posted. It was like all the Cassel part 2 people had never seen him play, at least not recently.

BigMeatballDave 04-28-2013 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Messier (Post 9640305)
Not predicting awesomeness, but I'll wager there will be several, huh, Smith is better than I thoughts, on here. I'm saying this, again, not because i think he's gonna be incredible, but if people really think he's Cassel II, they're going to be pleasantly surprised.

I'm also basing this on the reaction several had when his highlight video was posted. It was like all the Cassel part 2 people had never seen him play, at least not recently.

I fully expect this.

Simply Red 04-28-2013 09:01 AM

LOL None of this surprises me - Look Andy Reid got out coached a lot last season. We shouldn't be excited by his name alone. We're basically 6-10 screwed. So if you're cool with ten losses then this new regime is for you.

BigMeatballDave 04-28-2013 09:03 AM

Quote:

Yet they signed a backup who is a God to many Mizzou fans in the area.

BigMeatballDave 04-28-2013 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 9640313)
LOL None of this surprises me - Look Andy Reid got out coached a lot last season. We shouldn't be excited by his name alone. We're basically 6-10 screwed. So if you're cool with ten losses than this new regime is for you.

LMAO

So Reid is only good enough for 4 more wins than Crennel?

Dave Lane 04-28-2013 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCSLC2008 (Post 9639818)
Alex Smith is not a Mormon. He was born is Seattle, grew up in San Diego, and went to the non-affiliated school in Utah. He lived in Utah for two school seasons as an athlete. He has been confirmed not to be Mormon by others.

I grew up in Utah and have seen articles in the past stating that he wasn't. I'm not a Mormon either. I'm new here so I'm not allowed to post links and don't want to go around the rule by adding spaces or anything to hide them. Look it up, it's out there.

He most certainly is a Mormon

http://www.askives.com/alex-smith-mormon.html

milkman 04-28-2013 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 9640321)
LMAO

So Reid is only good enough for 4 more wins than Crennel?

Andy Reid is a piss poor game day coach, who is also over rated as a QB guru.

So, with Alex Smith, a game manager that can't exel in the system that Reid likes to run, with more downfield passing than a conventional west coast system, then it;s very likely that this team can only win 4 more games with Reid instead f Crennel.

I actually don't believe they win more than 5 games, unless Reid goes more conventional west coast.

chiefzilla1501 04-28-2013 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cockeyes (Post 9640108)
Did you guys think they traded two second round picks for him so he could QB this team for only one year?

This isn't rocket science. Reid/Dorsey believe in him.

Yes, I think it's possible. Dorsey has an interview where he says pretty directly that he doesn't throw the best deep ball and has a strength mostly on the short and short-intermediate stuff. I don't think Dorsey is clueless about his value, and we all know Reid likes to go vertical.

I think it's absolutely possible that the Chiefs had a directive by Clark Hunt that they need to start winning to get fans excited about the team again. I will give it a year or two to see where this goes. What I do feel pretty sure about is that Reid isn't going to play the game of protecting Alex Smith with his offense. Smith will have to pass a lot so he's not going to skate by with a conservative approach.

chiefzilla1501 04-28-2013 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 9640331)
Andy Reid is a piss poor game day coach, who is also over rated as a QB guru.

So, with Alex Smith, a game manager that can't exel in the system that Reid likes to run, with more downfield passing than a conventional west coast system, then it;s very likely that this team can only win 4 more games with Reid instead f Crennel.

I actually don't believe they win more than 5 games, unless Reid goes more conventional west coast.

Reid is absolutely a QB guru. Unquestionably, he can coach up QBs. The question is if he can evaluate them. This is a guy who has won with Jeff Garcia, AJ Feeley, and the Detmers. I'm not a fan of Alex Smith, but he's better than those guys.

The tea leaves say that Reid will go more to a spread. Maybe that's the rationale behind Chase Daniel -- I'm not crazy about this move either, but to fork over that kind of contract, there's something they're seeing that maybe we're missing.

DaWolf 04-28-2013 09:20 AM

If Smith sucks next year, he will not be here for a long time. Smith is a guy who is either going to prove to be a great fit for what Reid wants to run, or he is a guy who we will look to replace in a couple of years. And if he is a great fit and plays great, he can stay.

IMO the entire Smith trade had more to do with them not trusting any QB in this draft to be ready to win anytime soon than it had to do with Smith being the unquestioned QB for the next four years like Cassel.

We shall see. They may have been completely wrong on This QB class, but if any of those QBs never ends up being any better than Smith, then we would need to replace them in a few years anyway. Smith is still young enough that if he works out, you've got a Trent Green type for 4-5 years. If he is mediocre, you've at least got a bridge QB and are still able to look for a QB in next years draft to develop. If he completely sucks, you dump him. It would be a mistake for the Chiefs to talk extension before he plays a year here, unless it is a purely salary cap move that doesn't prevent you from dumping him if he sucks...

ayleswbj 04-28-2013 09:32 AM

URBAN MEYER on Alex Smith:
In a question and answer session with The Sacramento Bee, Meyer, now a college football analyst at ESPN, revisited his 2005 comments and spoke about Smith's resurgence.

Why do things seem to be different this year with Smith?

"I follow the NFL a lot with Alex, Tim [Tebow] and other players. It's amazing to me in the NFL that if you're on a really bad team — bad offense, bad defense, bad kicking game — then it's the quarterback's fault.

"Alex was like my son. I was real close to Alex. I watched coordinator after coordinator come out of there. The defense was ranked near the bottom every year. It's a really bad team. And all of a sudden, it's, 'Well, Alex can't play.' And I'm thinking, 'What are you talking about? Alex certainly can play.' It's the same thing with Tim.

"So quarterbacks, they get far too much credit and far too much blame. The best thing about Alex right now — he's on a really good team with a really good coaching staff, and he's a member of a team. I give so much credit to that. I don't know the whole situation, but they're playing really good football."

Did he ever express frustration to you after leaving Utah?

"Oh, I spoke with him and with his mom and dad — we're really close. And, yeah, he was frustrated. You know, he's a perfectionist. He's a guy that grasps things so fast. He wants to learn and he's a relentless worker. So he was very frustrated. He was used to winning. He did it in high school. He had a great high school program.

"Then he goes to college and won a lot of games. The biggest frustration was losing. He really liked Norv Turner. When Norv Turner was there it was like a second life for him. And then Norv left to be a head coach and it just devastated him [Smith]. But he always stayed positive. He always wanted the best for San Francisco."

Did he or his family talk to you about the decision to remain in San Francisco after the 2010 season?

"A little bit. He had really liked Mike Singletary. He was a loyal person. That's the way he was raised. He really wanted to see it through. The San Francisco 49ers gave him a lot by making him the first pick."

You said he grasps things so fast. Doesn't that run counter to what you said about him in 2005 about him being "nonfunctional"?

"Mentally, he's on a different plane. He graduated from college in two years. I've always said he has like a photographic memory when we game-planned with him. But he went through so many different coordinators in San Francisco that he would try to — I don't want to say overanalyze it — but it was like … he made the comment to me going into his sophomore year that, 'I fully grasp everything in the system.'

"My comment, when they first drafted him in San Francisco, is that he wants to know every little thing about quarterback. He's a perfectionist. He wants to know why, what everyone's doing on the field. And if everything kept changing on him, it would be very slow. That's probably what's happening now without knowing the whole story. From what I understand, he's very comfortable with the system."

Knowing what you know about Jim Harbaugh, do you think he and Smith are a good pairing?

"One thing about Alex — he's a tough guy. We ran him a lot. We would always start the game, when I was coaching Alex, he would want to run off-tackle power with him carrying the ball. And he would just drop his pads and get in there. How many quarterbacks do you know who do that?

"Jim Harbaugh's that kind of coach. He wants tough guys. So that made perfect sense."

He also went on to say that Alex throws the best deep ball of any QB he has ever coached.

notorious 04-28-2013 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayleswbj (Post 9640362)
He also went on to say that Alex throws the best deep ball of any QB he has ever coached.

Uh-Oh.

ayleswbj 04-28-2013 09:41 AM

According to PFF, in 2011, Alex Smith had a 114.4 passer rating on passes that traveled 20+ yards through the air. That was with Vernon and basically nothing else in terms of targets. Perspective:
- Tom Brady had a 87.7 passer rating. Even Brees and Eli had a lower passer rating, though they did throw more TDs (more INTs also)

The guy can hit his targets perfect, the only problem is he's never had someone to throw it deep other than Vernon Davis. Unless you can call Joshua Morgan, Arnaz Battle, Antonio Bryant, or Jason Hill "deep threats".

The Bad Guy 04-28-2013 09:42 AM

He's here to stay based on one draft? Are they cancelling the 2014 and 2015 drafts?

Cool analysis, bro.

jd1020 04-28-2013 09:42 AM

I get kind of tired of hearing how all Alex Smith had to throw to was Vernon Davis.

jd1020 04-28-2013 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9640376)
He's here to stay based on one draft? Are they cancelling the 2014 and 2015 drafts?

Cool analysis, bro.

I cant imagine he's going anywhere soon.

He's going to win enough games to plant us in the middle of draft rounds. And with Tyler Bray being the only legit thing behind him? Gonna be a bit.

notorious 04-28-2013 09:45 AM

We don't have a deep threat, either.

milkman 04-28-2013 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9640342)
Reid is absolutely a QB guru. Unquestionably, he can coach up QBs. The question is if he can evaluate them. This is a guy who has won with Jeff Garcia, AJ Feeley, and the Detmers. I'm not a fan of Alex Smith, but he's better than those guys.

The tea leaves say that Reid will go more to a spread. Maybe that's the rationale behind Chase Daniel -- I'm not crazy about this move either, but to fork over that kind of contract, there's something they're seeing that maybe we're missing.

Reid has a losing record with every QB not named Donovan McNabb, dipshit.

ShowtimeSBMVP 04-28-2013 09:52 AM

Quote:

They gave Daniel 3 years 10m tell me again why they would draft a QB?

jd1020 04-28-2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsandO'sfan (Post 9640393)

Because its Alex Smith and Chase Daniel?

Mother****erJones 04-28-2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsandO'sfan (Post 9640393)

Ya didn't need to when they can sign Tyler Bray, who has the ability of any QB in this draft.

The Bad Guy 04-28-2013 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 9640387)
We don't have a deep threat, either.

Donnie Avery can stretch a defense.

The Bad Guy 04-28-2013 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 9640385)
I cant imagine he's going anywhere soon.

He's going to win enough games to plant us in the middle of draft rounds. And with Tyler Bray being the only legit thing behind him? Gonna be a bit.

He's basically under a 2 year contract. Chiefs have shown zero desire to extend that so far.

Mother****erJones 04-28-2013 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9640399)
Donnie Avery can stretch a defense.

Hopefully he's fully over his knee injury. Because he can be good deep down the field.

Mother****erJones 04-28-2013 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9640400)
He's basically under a 2 year contract. Chiefs have shown zero desire to extend that so far.

Have you heard anything about Bray. How much they like him? Hopefully you hear something about that in the coming days. Let me know. I'd appreciate it.

Rasputin 04-28-2013 09:56 AM

Am still perplexed how Andy Reid can sit there and tell us we are going to pass attack with this football team and then turn around and have Alex Smith as starting quaterback. This is what we get true fans can rejoyce. Alex Smith best attribute is much like Matt Cassel in that they both could hand the ball off to running backs to find success.

jd1020 04-28-2013 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9640400)

Give it time.

He'll "earn" his extension after the upcoming 8-8 season when Arrowhead sells out.

Cant imagine their plan was to trade possibly 2 2nd round picks for a 2 year starter when you can easily get much better long term players with those picks.

acesn8s 04-28-2013 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 9640405)
Am still perplexed how Andy Reid can sit there and tell us we are going to pass attack with this football team and then turn around and have Alex Smith as starting quaterback. This is what we get true fans can rejoyce. Alex Smith best attribute is much like Matt Cassel in that they both could hand the ball off to running backs to find success.

So, Smith forgot how to pass?

duncan_idaho 04-28-2013 10:02 AM

My wife is very excited about Alex Smith and the Chiefs draft.

She realizes this means I will not be giving a f*** about the season this year, and that makes me much more available to work around the house on Sundays this fall and winter.

I can't let myself have any emotional investment in a team QBed by a slapdick game manager.

milkman 04-28-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 9640369)
Uh-Oh.

Who has Urban Meyer coached at QB?

Rasputin 04-28-2013 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acesn8s (Post 9640409)
So, Smith forgot how to pass?

If they are expecting A Smith to throw more than 25 times a game then we are in trouble. The game is going get away from him. Teams are going T off on him. Probably best if we did do keep Brandon Albert and have Eric Fisher play RT.

ayleswbj 04-28-2013 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 9640378)
I get kind of tired of hearing how all Alex Smith had to throw to was Vernon Davis.

Alex Smiths starting WR's through the years.

2005: Johnnie Morton, Arnaz Battle, Brandon Loyd, Otis Amey
2006: Arnaz Battle, Antionio Bryant, Brian Gilmore, Taylor Jacobs, Brian williams
2007: Arnaz Battle, Gilmore, Jason Hill, Daryl Jackson, Ashlie Lelie, Michael Lewis
2008: Arnaz Battle, Bryant Johnson, Isac Bruce(50 yrs old), Josh Morgan(rookie)
2009: Arnaz Battle, Isac Bruce, Michael Crabtree(rookie holdout) Josh Morgan, Brandon Jones
2010: Michael Crabs, Tedd Ginn, Josh Morgan, Jason Hill, Kyle Williams(rookie)
2011: Michael Crabs, Tedd Ginn, Braylon Edwards (injured, Cut) Josh Morgan(broken ankle), Brett Swain, Kyle Williams

15 of these guys are not even in the NFL anymore, Brett Swain has been active for like 8 games ever, Kyle Williams has a total of 35 catches in 3 seasons.
I think its a fair and reasonable assumption to say Alex Smith has never had anyone to throw the ball to. These are just the WR that got in the games. I didnt even list the other scrubs. People forget how much this organization was in shambles when they drafted him. My god the head coach the year before was Dennis Freaking Erickson.

kcfanXIII 04-28-2013 10:08 AM

You can make all the excuses you want, 8 years in the league means you are what you are. People can point to all the examples of guys who have been late bloomers, but that's the same thing as trying to find a tom brady in the sixth round. The Chiefs made a horrible choice in giving up this year's 34th pick. Forget about next year's pick for now. at 34 the only qb off the board was Manual. So if any of the other qbs in this draft play better than alex smith, Reid and Dorsey have failed, have set this franchise back years, and should be fired. I know it is a little soon, but why should we have to sit through another 4 years of this crap?

Chris Meck 04-28-2013 10:09 AM

You guys crack me up.

Rather than judge Reid and Dorsey by their past bodies of work collectively, many of you feel it is more accurate to judge them according to Carl Peterson and Scott Pioli's bodies of work and claim," Same old, same old".

The only thing that is the same is the red and gold.

Reid does not saddle himself with crappy QB's. If Smith sucks, he'll see the bench quickly. If Daniels can't get it done, so will he. If Bray's lightbulb goes on, we'll see him asap. His history of more than a decade shows multiple examples of this.

Reid is NOT going to turn into a "run, run, pass, punt" coach. He has always passed the ball from what others would call 'run formations'. He uses 'bunches' and two backs, one TE sets, 2 TE sets, and all sorts of things to create matchup problems for a defense.

Charles and Davis will see a lot of action, both carrying and catching. This is also his history (see B. Westbrook).

jd1020 04-28-2013 10:12 AM

What exactly are their past bodies of work?

Reid hasn't done anything since McNabb.

And what exactly did Dorsey do in GB? He was a scout and then became an assistant. There's nothing to suggest he was calling any shots. All we have to go by is what he's done in KC and the first thing he did was spend the #34 pick and a 2014 3rd/2nd on Alex Smith.

cockeyes 04-28-2013 10:14 AM

"They didn't draft my QB a round and a half too early" derangement syndrome is strong here

Chris Meck 04-28-2013 10:15 AM

Because that's what it took to get the best QB option available to start on day one.

These guys have no intention of acting like they're playing Madden ****ing football on franchise mode and tanking for a year to try and get a QB next year. They took the best option available to them.

Chris Meck 04-28-2013 10:16 AM

and I'm no Alex Smith fan. I think this is the best possible turd sandwich that was available. let's see if Andy can make it look edible.

jd1020 04-28-2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Meck (Post 9640434)
Because that's what it took to get the best QB option available to start on day one.

These guys have no intention of acting like they're playing Madden ****ing football on franchise mode and tanking for a year to try and get a QB next year. They took the best option available to them.

That's what it took? Nah. Don't think there was any other team willing to give up 2 picks, let alone a second for Alex Smith.

Other "hot commodity" QB's went for ****ing pennies.

Dorsey got bent over a table and took it up his ass by an experienced GM.

Messier 04-28-2013 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 9640427)

And what exactly did Dorsey do in GB? He was a scout and then became an assistant. There's nothing to suggest he was calling any shots. All we have to go by is what he's done in KC and the first thing he did was spend the #34 pick and a 2014 3rd/2nd on Alex Smith.

Who was is you wanted for GM?

jd1020 04-28-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Messier (Post 9640442)
Who was is you wanted for GM?

I had no voice in the GM search. I don't pretend to scout other teams front offices.

Dorsey was said to be one of the top candidates out there. Fine. But lets not pretend he was calling shots in GB and then praise him for what he did in GB and ignore his first order of business in KC.

Messier 04-28-2013 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 9640446)
I had no voice in the GM search. I don't pretend to scout other teams front offices.

Dorsey was said to be one of the top candidates out there. Fine. But lets not pretend he was calling shots in GB and then praise him for what he did in GB and ignore his first order of business in KC.

What was his first order of business?

Chris Meck 04-28-2013 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 9640438)
That's what it took? Nah. Don't think there was any other team willing to give up 2 picks, let alone a second for Alex Smith.

Other "hot commodity" QB's went for ****ing pennies.

Dorsey got bent over a table and took it up his ass by an experienced GM.

Really? and you know this...how? And what other 'hot commodity' QB's are we talking about? Matt ****ing Flynn? Because that's not even close to being an equal player. You really think that teams wanted Kolb and Flynn more than Smith? You really think that nobody else that was in the hunt for a QB of all the teams that signed a vet had inquired after Smith? You're delusional.

Smith is a middle of the road journeyman at this point in his career, but he was by far the best option available. You guys really think nobody else wanted him? You're nuts.

jd1020 04-28-2013 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Messier (Post 9640449)

:facepalm:

jd1020 04-28-2013 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Meck (Post 9640452)
Really? and you know this...how? And what other 'hot commodity' QB's are we talking about? Matt ****ing Flynn? Because that's not even close to being an equal player. You really think that teams wanted Kolb and Flynn more than Smith? You really think that nobody else that was in the hunt for a QB of all the teams that signed a vet had inquired after Smith? You're delusional.

Smith is a middle of the road journeyman at this point in his career, but he was by far the best option available. You guys really think nobody else wanted him? You're nuts.

I'm sure there were plenty of calls to the 49ers regarding Smith.

However, no one was willing to get ****ed like Dorsey and the Chiefs.

Messier 04-28-2013 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 9640454)

ayleswbj 04-28-2013 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcfanXIII (Post 9640420)
You can make all the excuses you want, 8 years in the league means you are what you are. People can point to all the examples of guys who have been late bloomers, but that's the same thing as trying to find a tom brady in the sixth round. The Chiefs made a horrible choice in giving up this year's 34th pick. Forget about next year's pick for now. at 34 the only qb off the board was Manual. So if any of the other qbs in this draft play better than alex smith, Reid and Dorsey have failed, have set this franchise back years, and should be fired. I know it is a little soon, but why should we have to sit through another 4 years of this crap?

Its not an excuse, it is a fact of who was on the roster. 15 of the 20 guys i named barely had careers. Its nice you put up that stat about Cassel and Smith, but look at which direction the numbers go in. 43 of Smiths 63 int's came from 05 to 09. He sat out the 08 season and 24 of his 36 fumbles as well came his first 4 years. 44 of Cassels 57 pics have come the last 4 years and 17 of his 24 fumbles as well. He regresses at an age when you should be coming into your prime an be playing your best football. Smith has improved without a doubt. Both have been on completely lousy teams. One has improved the other folded like a cheap suit.

Rasputin 04-28-2013 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 9640456)
I'm sure there were plenty of calls to the 49ers regarding Smith.

However, no one was willing to get ****ed like Dorsey and the Chiefs.

This. At best I think a third and even a third and 6th round but not 2 twos back to back years. **** that shit.

duncan_idaho 04-28-2013 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Meck (Post 9640452)

So why give up two second-round picks (that's what it will end up being... KC will game-manage its way to enough wins this year to do it) for a guy who is a journeyman/game manager?

Trading for Alex Smith over trading for Flynn/signing Jason Campbell or Matt Moore/etc. is worth how many more wins this season? 1? 2? It's the difference between being 6-10 and 8-8? Whoop-de-freaking-do.

It's a short-sighted move unless Alex Smith transforms into a top 10 QB who leads his team to victory THROWING the football with consistency. A guy who can win playoff games and put his team on his back. An elite (or at least near-elite) QB.

But hey, at least it will make the true fans and t-shirt fans happy, and Arrowhead will sell out again. So Clark Hunt will make money, which is nice...

Messier 04-28-2013 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 9640454)

Also, since you have no alternative other than Dorsey, I don't see what your problem with him is?

Chris Meck 04-28-2013 10:27 AM

You've just decided to have an opinion, and you're going to keep it no matter what.

DaWolf 04-28-2013 10:27 AM

Quote:

And if the guy they drafted at 34 was no better or worse than Smith? Same difference. They made a call to say Smith was better than, say, Geno. You would likely have to give Geno 3-4 years to prove himself, while probably wasting another year of DJ, Hali, Bowe, and Charles' prime waiting for him to grow into the role this year. If he does, great. If he doesn't, well we've seen what the pattern has been with Sanchize, Freeman, Locker, Ponder, Gabbert, etc. Keep throwing them out there until you are sure they aren't going to be any better than someone you need to replace.

They made an evaluation on Smith that based on his skillet and based on the last few years, he would be a better fit for Reid and that he would be able to help them win more quickly. The evaluation may be totally wrong, but if it is, you've got more info on Smith to move on from him faster than a rookie.

If Geno is a top 5 QB then yeah, this team and everyone not named the Jets made a colossal blunder...

BossChief 04-28-2013 10:27 AM

Andy Reid hasn't married a qb that didn't win.

He spent a very high second on Kolb and shipped him out when he didn't win.
He spent 100 million on Vick and benched him when he didn't win a little over a year later.

There is nothing saying that Alex will be any different.

philfree 04-28-2013 10:28 AM

Quote:

Career stats mean nothing here. We're not trying convince anyone that Alex Smith belongs in the hall of fame we're discussing what kind of QB he is right now. So what happened to a 20 year old kid who was thrown to the wolves doesn't really matter at this point. To me Alex Smith is what he's been for the last couple seasons. If you look at his last 30 complete games he's put up a QB rating of 97.6. He's done it in conservative fashion but that's what we are getting. His biggest concern is staying on the field.

jd1020 04-28-2013 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Messier (Post 9640462)
Also, since you have no alternative other than Dorsey, I don't see what your problem with him is?

ROFL

Because I had no opinion on who to hire as GM this means I have to sit around and be happy about every boneheaded, reeruned, idiotic decision this dude makes?

Go **** yourself.

Chris Meck 04-28-2013 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9640461)
So why give up two second-round picks (that's what it will end up being... KC will game-manage its way to enough wins this year to do it) for a guy who is a journeyman/game manager?

Trading for Alex Smith over trading for Flynn/signing Jason Campbell or Matt Moore/etc. is worth how many more wins this season? 1? 2? It's the difference between being 6-10 and 8-8? Whoop-de-freaking-do.

It's a short-sighted move unless Alex Smith transforms into a top 10 QB who leads his team to victory THROWING the football with consistency. A guy who can win playoff games and put his team on his back. An elite (or at least near-elite) QB.

because THAT IS WHAT THE MARKET DEMANDED. Because this is a BAD year to need a QB because there was nothing but PROJECTS in the DRAFT. There were only a couple of tested veterans available. They gave up what they HAD TO. You really think Dorsey just called up and said," Hey gee whiz guys, howz about a coupla 2nd round picks for Alex?"

You really think that's how that happened? You're delusional.

chiefzilla1501 04-28-2013 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 9640390)
Reid has a losing record with every QB not named Donovan McNabb, dipshit.

Jeff Garcia went 6-3 (including 1-1 in the playoffs)
7-3 with AJ Feeley
19-16 with Michael Vick
So-so not great 3-4 with Kevin Kolb

Dicksneeze

Messier 04-28-2013 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 9640467)
ROFL

Because I had no opinion on who to hire as GM this means I have to sit around and be happy about every boneheaded, reeruned, idiotic decision this dude makes?

Go **** yourself.

Eat shit if you don't have an alternative.

Sweet Daddy Hate 04-28-2013 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DTLB58 (Post 9639980)
I disagree.

It's Clark you should be mad at. IMO, he told Andy to win and win now and when they looked at things and in their opinion didn't feel anyone in the draft could do that immediately they went with Alex.

As far as the rest of the off season, they have built this offense around the QB to use his skill set (or lack thereof). OL, TE, more depth @ RB/FB. One WR in Avery to try and stretch the D.

This is how Reid thinks he can be most competitive and win now. Is it gonna bring a SB win to KC? I doubt it. But like I've said before, I don't have the blinders on with Andy. I think he can rebuild, make the Chiefs competitive again and then I'm hoping in 3-5 years a young up and coming assistant takes over and between him and Dorsey make the changes to a more new age "wave" NFL team.

I like this plan. A lot.
Posted via Mobile Device

Chris Meck 04-28-2013 10:32 AM

Jason Campbell sucks. Matt Moore is a joke. Flynn is a noodle armed 7th round pick who had one freaking good game, and even that was full of underthrown prayers. These guys are not anywhere near the class of player of Alex Smith.

jd1020 04-28-2013 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Messier (Post 9640473)
Eat shit if you don't have an alternative.

Yes, because throwing out a name would make a difference in who Clark Hunt would pick to be GM.

You're such a ****ing moron.

DaWolf 04-28-2013 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9640472)
Jeff Garcia went 6-3 (including 1-1 in the playoffs)
7-3 with AJ Feeley
19-16 with Michael Vick
So-so not great 3-4 with Kevin Kolb

Dicksneeze

And three losing seasons in 14 years, with 10 playoff wins. But apparently the guy has no idea how to coach...

chiefzilla1501 04-28-2013 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 9640427)

Andy Reid is a terrific offensive coach and his offense has consistently been very good. He hasn't been a consistent winner since struggling to find a defensive identity. But that's not what we're arguing about here. We're arguing primarily about his knowledge of offense and offensive players.

Dorsey looks raw from the GM side, but you're questioning his ability to scout players and not giving him credit for his contribution to Green Bay success. That's wrong. We will see how good Dorsey really is based on how some of our late picks do.

I agree that both have had a so-so track record of finding QBs. But Dorsey never really had to, and Reid has proven he can get the most out of QBs (even the bad ones).

Messier 04-28-2013 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 9640485)
Yes, because throwing out a name would make a difference in who Clark Hunt would pick to be GM.

You're such a ****ing moron.

I think it's fair to ask someone saying someone sucks, to ask who they think would be better.

You don't like Alex Smith. That's fine. But Dorsey didn't ignore his first duty. He did his job. The QB position is upgraded, quite a bit, you just don't agree.

acesn8s 04-28-2013 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 9640416)
If they are expecting A Smith to throw more than 25 times a game then we are in trouble. The game is going get away from him. Teams are going T off on him. Probably best if we did do keep Brandon Albert and have Eric Fisher play RT.

Is that a bit of logic I detect?

duncan_idaho 04-28-2013 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Meck (Post 9640477)
Jason Campbell sucks. Matt Moore is a joke. Flynn is a noodle armed 7th round pick who had one freaking good game, and even that was full of underthrown prayers. These guys are not anywhere near the class of player of Alex Smith.

Just throwing out 3 game manager sorts. Not banging the table for any of those guys.

Alex Smith is somewhere between the 15th and 20th best QB in the NFL. Even after his last two seasons. He's still a game manager. The difference between Smith and someone like the 20th to 25th best QB managing games for you is what?

1 game? 2 games? MAYBE 3 games?

So a team that would go 6-10 with Carson Palmer goes 9-7 with Alex Smith instead? Best case scenario?

What is there to be excited about there? What is there to say "Yes, it was worth trading two second-round picks for this guy"?

More money in Clark's pocket, and that's about it.