ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   News Singer Lauryn Hill Blames Slavery For Not Paying Her Taxes (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=272908)

alnorth 05-09-2013 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_spatula (Post 9670510)
PREFACE: I do not agree with Lauryn Hill's reparations excuse for not paying taxes, HOWEVER...

I think the average (white) citizens of our society sometimes lack perspective when it comes to the history of African Americans in our country.

1787: the Constitution of the United States is drafted. The 3/5 Compromise declares that black slaves are considered 3/5 of a person to help bolster voting bloc in southern US.

1870: 15th amendment passes giving blacks citizenship/right to vote.

*This means that less than 150 (only 5 generations ago) years ago blacks WERE NOT EVEN CONSIDERED PEOPLE BY OUR CONSTITUTION (they were 3/5 of a person - which is insanely dehumanizing, dudes).

1880s - 1960s: Much of the United States is hell-bent on keeping blacks out of mainstream society. Jim Crow laws are adopted, Plessy v Ferguson (separate but equal) rules, Ku Klux Klan forms up, etc.

WE ARE ONLY TWO GENERATIONS REMOVED THE CIVIL RIGHTS MOVEMENT (many of us were raised by parents who were raised in a systematically [and socially accepted] racist world).

If you don't believe that blacks have been systematically disadvantaged throughout the VAST majority of our nation's history then you do not know your history.

It takes time to overcome all of those things. Racism is still alive and well in our country (as has been repeatedly proven on this board). We have come a long way as a society, but there are still a lot of demons from our nation's past that need to be exorcised.

We're not talking about the daughter of sharecroppers in rural Alabama who grew up during the 50's.

She was born in 1975, in New Jersey, to a couple parents who were both working professionals who could afford a decent middle class lifestyle. She had advantages that many others, white or black, did not have, and she made millions.

She doesn't get to cloak herself with a shield of black sympathy after going all Wesley Snipes on us. She needs to go to prison, and NONE of this stuff you cited is relevant in this case.

tooge 05-09-2013 10:58 AM

aren't there enough problems in our country vs. other countries hating us, that we can't just all be Americans and stand as one. Racism=a waste of time

Amnorix 05-09-2013 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9670593)
Meanwhile, approximately 47% of America's lowest income earners don't pay taxes at all.

Not true. They pay payroll taxes.

loochy 05-09-2013 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 9670705)
ya and screw over the millions of people who it could help and keeping the innocent behind bars so that a few can profit.

Sheeple

well they aren't innocent

they broke the law

alnorth 05-09-2013 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 9670722)
Not true. They pay payroll taxes.

yep. The rich, ie the "top 5%, top 1%", etc still pay most of the taxes, but payroll taxes can't be thrown out. They still count as a tax on income.

Bump 05-09-2013 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9670725)
well they aren't innocent

they broke the law

they broke an unjust law.

It's illegal because it can help people and it's profitable to arrest people for it. That is our tyrannical government at work.

Rain Man 05-09-2013 11:10 AM

I once fought a parking ticket with the argument that my ancestors moved with the railroad and thus had little opportunity to purchase parking spots. It didn't work.

Donger 05-09-2013 11:11 AM

The "wonder plant" which isn't a drug and cures cancer.

Fascist, totalitarian state just wants to keep it down.

Yep.

Always nice to see one of the side effects of the non-drug on display, however.

exterminator 05-09-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9670703)
No, it's because earning money generally takes resources and investment and a bit of risk. Rich people can afford to take the kinds of risks that normal and poor folk can not. Once a successful venture occurs, even more money is generated to invest in more money making ventures. It feeds itself. The rich get richer because of resources and good decisions (or luck). They can avoid some tax burden through loopholes or immoral behavior, but that isn't the prime generator of money.

Never said it was.

But it's one of the reasons.

They use their money wisely and take deductions to reduce their tax burden.

I do the same thing.

exterminator 05-09-2013 11:16 AM

And I watched Django Unchained last night for the first time.

How appropriate eh???

loochy 05-09-2013 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exterminator (Post 9670760)
Never said it was.

But it's one of the reasons.

They use their money wisely and take deductions to reduce their tax burden.

I do the same thing.

i know.

i just wanted to clarify because some of the jealous people will try to tear you down

-King- 05-09-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9670675)
If there was any way I could control where my tax dollars went, I'd allocate them all towards keeping weed illegal just to piss him off.

LMAO now that's funny!
Posted via Mobile Device

SPATCH 05-09-2013 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 9670708)
We're not talking about the daughter of sharecroppers in rural Alabama who grew up during the 50's.

She was born in 1975, in New Jersey, to a couple parents who were both working professionals who could afford a decent middle class lifestyle. She had advantages that many others, white or black, did not have, and she made millions.

She doesn't get to cloak herself with a shield of black sympathy after going all Wesley Snipes on us. She needs to go to prison, and NONE of this stuff you cited is relevant in this case.

Guess what? I wasn't talking about an individual person. I was speaking in broad terms.

I understand this thread is about Lauryn Hill but we've got people in here talking about "ninjas gonna ninja" and "this is why stereotypes exist". Those are broad comments.

Some people like to think their is no basis for reparations (or things like affirmative action). However, if you know your history...

seaofred 05-09-2013 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_spatula (Post 9670798)
Guess what? I wasn't talking about an individual person. I was speaking in broad terms.

I understand this thread is about Lauryn Hill but we've got people in here talking about "ninjas gonna ninja" and "this is why stereotypes exist". Those are broad comments.

Some people like to think their is no basis for reparations (or things like affirmative action). However, if you know your history...

So do you believe that, if your grandfather was a murderer, we should punished or treat you like a murderer?

blaise 05-09-2013 11:37 AM

Quote:

Yes thanks for the history lessons, professor.

Donger 05-09-2013 11:39 AM

Quote:

Basis or justification for?

ChiefaRoo 05-09-2013 11:43 AM

Going to Jail. Say hello to Wesley Snipes.

saphojunkie 05-09-2013 11:45 AM

Real easy for us white guys to say "get over it!" I mean, she was born ELEVEN YEARS after the Civil Rights Act. There's no way there was any residual racial bias or struggle! I mean, no one alive in 1975 was racist, right? Certainly no one who worked in government or for schools or in positions of authority or people with hiring power at businesses or judges or cops. The second they ratified the amendment, everyone collectively stopped believing in segregation.

Oh, and New Jersey integrated in the forties. Which means her parents likely attended "colored only" schools for at least a few years. Her grandparents certainly did. So don't say "derp she's middle class from New Jersey, she doesn't have struggles!" Because you just sound ignorant.

think about this: Every single one of our fathers could remember a time when blacks weren't allowed to use the same bathroom. Some of the posters here can. That shit isn't "past us." If you think it is, then you're living in a little white fantasy world.

That said, I think she's a complete c*nt. But being a c*nt doesn't make your points completely invalid.

Purely coincidentally, I went to bed last night thinking about how the Constitution was ratified by a group of people that in no way represented a majority. Blacks, Indians, women, and non-land-owning white men were all subjected to laws they had absolutely no voice in creating or approving. In fact, only six percent of the American population was allowed to vote when the Constitution was ratified and had to silently obey laws thrust upon them with say. That sounds like the very definition of tyranny.

She has a point. It's not a point you like, but it's a real point.

blaise 05-09-2013 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 9670852)
Real easy for us white guys to say "get over it!" I mean, she was born ELEVEN YEARS after the Civil Rights Act. There's no way there was any residual racial bias or struggle! I mean, no one alive in 1975 was racist, right? Certainly no one who worked in government or for schools or in positions of authority or people with hiring power at businesses or judges or cops. The second they ratified the amendment, everyone collectively stopped believing in segregation.

Oh, and New Jersey integrated in the forties. Which means her parents likely attended "colored only" schools for at least a few years. Her grandparents certainly did. So don't say "derp she's middle class from New Jersey, she doesn't have struggles!" Because you just sound ignorant.

think about this: Every single one of our fathers could remember a time when blacks weren't allowed to use the same bathroom. Some of the posters here can. That shit isn't "past us." If you think it is, then you're living in a little white fantasy world.

That said, I think she's a complete c*nt. But being a c*nt doesn't make your points completely invalid.

Purely coincidentally, I went to bed last night thinking about how the Constitution was ratified by a group of people that in no way represented a majority. Blacks, Indians, women, and non-land-owning white men were all subjected to laws they had absolutely no voice in creating or approving. In fact, only six percent of the American population was allowed to vote when the Constitution was ratified and had to silently obey laws thrust upon them with say. That sounds like the very definition of tyranny.

She has a point? That she shouldn't pay taxes on the millions she earned because slavery existed? That's a 'point'? I guess. Somehow, in a totally irrelevant way.

Just Passin' By 05-09-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

If you know your history, you know that the 3/5ths was strictly about voting apportionment and not an actual comment on blacks being 3/5 human. Free states wanted slaves to go uncounted while slave states wanted them counted as a full person for electoral college and House of Representative purposes. Furthermore, free blacks, obviously most of whom would be in free states (on a percentage basis, at least) got a 1:1 representation. If we were to try breaking it down using your logic, we'd come to the bizarre claim that the north/free states thought blacks weren't people while the south/slave states thought there were on equal footing with whites.

So either you're an idiot, or you've got an agenda that you consider more important than the truth. Either way, you're in no position to lecture others about knowing their history, so take your shit to DC where it belongs.

saphojunkie 05-09-2013 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 9670868)
She has a point? That she shouldn't pay taxes on the millions she earned because slavery existed? That's a 'point'? I guess. Somehow, in a totally irrelevant way.

Having a point doesn't mean you win the argument. I'm just saying she's not completely insane for claiming that there is still a severe racial gap in this country. That doesn't mean she doesn't have to follow the same rules.

I'm not talking about her tax evasion as much as I am the question of reparations in general.

Cannibal 05-09-2013 11:56 AM

Pay your taxes, and STFU, bitch!

Just Passin' By 05-09-2013 11:56 AM

Quote:

...She has a point...

No, she doesn't.

Donger 05-09-2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 9670873)
Having a point doesn't mean you win the argument. I'm just saying she's not completely insane for claiming that there is still a severe racial gap in this country. That doesn't mean she doesn't have to follow the same rules.

I'm not talking about her tax evasion as much as I am the question of reparations in general.

Severe racial gap?

Maybe one day we'll bridge that gap by having affirmative action, making it illegal to discriminate based on race, have a Black POTUS...

Oh, wait.

Donger 05-09-2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cannibal (Post 9670874)
Pay your taxes, and STFU, bitch!

LMAO

saphojunkie 05-09-2013 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 9670880)
Severe racial gap?

Maybe one day we'll bridge that gap by having affirmative action, making it illegal to discriminate based on race, have a Black POTUS...

Oh, wait.

Don't be ****ing naive.

blaise 05-09-2013 11:59 AM

Quote:

Yeah, keep waiting for reparations.

DJ's left nut 05-09-2013 11:59 AM

Quote:

Having a mouth doesn't mean you have a point.

She formed cogent sentences in establishing a complete non-sequitur. That doesn't mean she has a point.

frankotank 05-09-2013 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_spatula (Post 9670701)
cool .jpeg, bro.

yeah...it cracked me up!

Donger 05-09-2013 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 9670886)
Don't be ****ing naive.

Well, perhaps you'd be willing to actually define what you see as the "severe racial gap" you just professed?

morphius 05-09-2013 12:06 PM

It might be easier to buy into her position if she would have taken her money and moved back to Africa, but for some reason she had a way out of the oppression and stayed here.

listopencil 05-09-2013 12:09 PM

Quote:

What she is doing is the very epitome of "playing the race card." The fact is that she is required by law to subsidize the government based, in part, on how much income she receives. There is nothing in the history of this country or her personal experiences that alter that legal requirement.

saphojunkie 05-09-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 9670891)
Well, perhaps you'd be willing to actually define what you see as the "severe racial gap" you just professed?

Blacks make up 12% of the US population and 38% of the federal prison population, while whites make up 72.4% of the population and only 34% of the federal prison population. This is after a severe drop over the last decade for incarcerated blacks.

You can read about the advancement here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/28/us...hows.html?_r=0

Interestingly enough, another article came out on 2.27.13.

This one says that the wealth gap between blacks and whites has nearly tripled in the last 25 years.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...owing/1948899/

Blacks also have more than twice the high school drop out rate than whites.

http://nces.ed.gov/programs/digest/d...s/dt10_113.asp

so, you either think these facts are due to blacks being categorically inferior to whites or it is due to a system that is stacked against them.

EDIT: These were the first three things off the top of my head. I'm sure...
voting rates.
Percentage in elected office.
Likelihood of being a victim of violent crime.
Poverty rate.
life span
college degrees
higher degrees

and incalculable other conditions vastly favor whites.

ChiefaRoo 05-09-2013 12:12 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vkkVOMTe8xQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

lawrenceRaider 05-09-2013 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar Chief (Post 9670673)
If "interesting" = "crazy", then agreed.

Bumps the same guy who thought Android and Microsoft were the same thing.

frankotank 05-09-2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefaRoo (Post 9670910)
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vkkVOMTe8xQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ROFL @ :17

“lern hadn’t paid texas”

you gotta pay your texas.

SPATCH 05-09-2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 9670870)
If you know your history, you know that the 3/5ths was strictly about voting apportionment and not an actual comment on blacks being 3/5 human. Free states wanted slaves to go uncounted while slave states wanted them counted as a full person for electoral college and House of Representative purposes. Furthermore, free blacks, obviously most of whom would be in free states (on a percentage basis, at least) got a 1:1 representation. If we were to try breaking it down using your logic, we'd come to the bizarre claim that the north/free states thought blacks weren't people while the south/slave states thought there were on equal footing with whites.

So either you're an idiot, or you've got an agenda that you consider more important than the truth. Either way, you're in no position to lecture others about knowing their history, so take your shit to DC where it belongs.

I know exactly why the 3/5 compromise came to be. The point remains the same.

Our constitution did not recognize blacks as citizens until the 15th ammendment. Even free blacks in northern states were denied citizenship/right to vote.

The point was that our own constitution was systematically racist up until the 1880s and into the 20th century.

Do not confuse the point.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 9670837)
Basis or justification for?

Both.

I see no problem with proactively improving the prospects of African Americans with things like Affirmative Action. A large portion of the black population has had to deal with lack of resources/life chances afforded to them due to lasting affects from our country's racist past.

Donger 05-09-2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 9670908)
Blacks make up 12% of the US population and 38% of the federal prison population.

Whites make up 72.4% of the population and only 34% of the federal prison population. This is after a severe drop over the last decade for incarcerated blacks.

It says that the wealth gap between blacks and whites has tripled in the last 25 years.

so, you either think these facts are due to blacks being categorically inferior to whites or it is due to a system that is stacked against them.

voting rates.
Poverty rate.
life span
college degrees
higher degrees

I'm aware of all of these. Now, please explain how "the system is stacked against them" and why.

Donger 05-09-2013 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_spatula (Post 9670923)
Both.

I see no problem with proactively improving the prospects of African Americans with things like Affirmative Action. A large portion of the black population has had to deal with lack of resources/life chances afforded to them due to lasting affects from our country's racist past.

I can understand AA to a certain degree, but not reparations.

Oxford 05-09-2013 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 9669893)
say what you want about that side of her - but her voice on the mic via the R&B avenue - she's breathtaking.

Then all the proceeds from however many albums it takes to pay it off can go to the IRS. Equal representation under the law, ignorance of the law is no excuse, and stupidity is no defense.

Maybe she can get a loan and pay it back right now..... oh wait that would be slavery to a bank.

exterminator 05-09-2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oxford (Post 9670933)
Then all the proceeds from however many albums it takes to pay it off can go to the IRS. Equal representation under the law, ignorance of the law is no excuse, and stupidity is no defense.

Maybe she can get a loan and pay it back right now..... oh wait that would be slavery to a bank.

Her problem is the same as Vince Young, Mike Tyson and everyone else who when they finally made money did zero planning to protect it and make it grow.

It was all bling bling bling look at me I'm a pop star.

**** that.

SPATCH 05-09-2013 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 9670924)
I'm aware of all of these. Now, please explain how "the system is stacked against them" and why.

This is a complex issue. There is no simple answer.

You can see that there is an issue (as evidenced by sapho's statistics). A historical perspective has been offered as to why these issues exist.

Not sure what else you want....

Donger 05-09-2013 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_spatula (Post 9670966)
This is a complex issue. There is no simple answer.

You can see that there is an issue (as evidenced by sapho's statistics). A historical perspective has been offered as to why these issues exist.

Not sure what else you want....

I'm aware of the issues and the statistics. I'm just not aware of how or what "the system being stacked against them" means. Based on the illegality of racial discrimination, it would seem that our historical racial slavery should become less and less of an excuse as time goes on, no?

loochy 05-09-2013 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 9670908)
Blacks make up 12% of the US population and 38% of the federal prison population, while whites make up 72.4% of the population and only 34% of the federal prison population. This is after a severe drop over the last decade for incarcerated blacks.

This one says that the wealth gap between blacks and whites has nearly tripled in the last 25 years.

voting rates.
Poverty rate.
life span
college degrees
higher degrees

Why must the ratio of "percentage of population" to "bad things" be the same for every demographic subgroup?

SPATCH 05-09-2013 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 9670977)
I'm aware of the issues and the statistics. I'm just not aware of how or what "the system being stacked against them" means. Based on the illegality of racial discrimination, it would seem that our historical racial slavery should become less and less of an excuse as time goes on, no?

How many times does it need to be said?? We are two generations removed from the Civil Rights Movement. A magic button wasn't pressed to make everybody not racist anymore and put everybody on equal footing. All of societies ills didn't just vanish. Seriously, man. Do you live in a vacuum?

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9670978)
Why must the ratio of "percentage of population" to "bad things" be the same for every demographic subgroup?

Those disparities are what statisticians would call "statistically significant". Which basically says "we need to analyze this" to a statistician.

So, why do these disparities exist? Coincidence? Is it because blacks are just bad people? Or could the answer be much more complex? What do you think? Seriously, what do you think? I want to know.

Donger 05-09-2013 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_spatula (Post 9671000)
How many times does it need to be said?? We are two generations removed from the Civil Rights Movement. A magic button wasn't pressed to make everybody not racist anymore and put everybody on equal footing. All of societies ills didn't just vanish. Seriously, man. Do you live in a vacuum?

Again, I'm just not aware of how or what "the system being stacked against them" means. You didn't write that, but if you agree with it, I'd like hear your opinion on the specifics.

exterminator 05-09-2013 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9670978)

So who's fault is it that black kids drop out of school? Whitey's?

It's the white man's fault because they're in prison?

I guess it's the white mans fault that they have babies and don't raise em.

I guess it's the white mans fault that some of them are on welfare.

They made these choices, they can live with it.

Donger 05-09-2013 12:54 PM

Quote:

So, why do these disparities exist? Coincidence? Is it because blacks are just bad people? Or could the answer be much more complex? What do you think? Seriously, what do you think? I want to know.

I think it's pretty clear that Black people have a propensity to commit crimes that land them in jail at a higher rate than White people.

exterminator 05-09-2013 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 9671013)
I think it's pretty clear that Black people have a propensity to commit crimes that land them in jail at a higher rate than White people.

That and wearing their pants around their ****ing ankles gives them street cred.

loochy 05-09-2013 12:59 PM

Quote:

Those disparities are what statisticians would call "statistically significant". Which basically says "we need to analyze this" to a statistician.

I don't know! Why do white people dance badly?

Also, even if these problems do stem from slavery, how in the hell is giving them money going to fix it? How is affirmative action going to fix it? Answer: It's not. It gives no stimulus to change the behaviors causing the problem in the first place. I think that can only be cured over time.

SPATCH 05-09-2013 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 9671006)
Again, I'm just not aware of how or what "the system being stacked against them" means. You didn't write that, but if you agree with it, I'd like hear your opinion on the specifics.

Ok. I have said that this is a complex issue with a myriad of contributing factors.

But you want specifics...

Many urban blacks do not have access to quality education at their inner city public schools. That statement is specific.

Now, you would probably like to know why inner city schools are bad. Well, there is a very complex answer with a myriad of contributing factors. Many of those factors stem from the historical issues which we have discussed.

notorious 05-09-2013 01:06 PM

Time

Radar Chief 05-09-2013 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9671023)

No idea what you're talking about.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HQu_NLRvULM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

blaise 05-09-2013 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_spatula (Post 9671030)
Ok. I have said that this is a complex issue with a myriad of contributing factors.

Many urban blacks do not have access to quality education at their inner city public schools. That statement is specific.

Now, you would probably like to know why inner city schools are bad. Well, there is a very complex answer with a myriad of contributing factors. Many of those factors stem from the historical issues which we have discussed.

I can tell you this much - if anyone's waiting for the government or government money to get them out of a bad situation they're wasting their time.

Donger 05-09-2013 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_spatula (Post 9671030)

Thanks. Why or how is slavery or racism responsible for many inner city schools being crappy?

SPATCH 05-09-2013 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 9671013)

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9671023)

Also, even if these problems do stem from slavery, how in the hell is giving them money going to fix it? How is affirmative action going to fix it? Answer: It's not. It gives no stimulus to change the behaviors causing the problem in the first place. I think that can only be cured over time.

I would like both of you to answer this one question, right now. Yes or no. Nothing else. Just YES or NO.

If a brand new society was started on Mars using the DNA of blacks and whites to create the children that would make up this brand new society (obviously, everybody in the society starts on completely equal footing). Do you think (generations down the road) that blacks would commit a statistically significant more amount of the crime there?

YES or NO

Frazod 05-09-2013 01:16 PM

Quote:

What if I'm descended from one of the hundreds of thousands of union soldiers who died fighting for their freedom? Great-great-grandpa frazod might have ended up being a land baron or railroad tycoon, but instead he got his ass shot off at Fredericksburg. What do I get?

**** your reparations.

Donger 05-09-2013 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_spatula (Post 9671048)
I would like both of you to answer this one question, right now. Yes or no. Nothing else. Just YES or NO.

If a brand new society was started on Mars using the DNA of blacks and whites to create the children that would make up this brand new society (obviously, everybody in the society starts on completely equal footing). Do you think (generations down the road) that blacks would commit a statistically significant more amount of the crime there?

YES or NO

No.

JPPT1974 05-09-2013 01:19 PM

Excuses, excuses for not paying taxes!

SPATCH 05-09-2013 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 9671040)
Thanks. Why or how is slavery or racism responsible for many inner city schools being crappy?

I have already stated that I believe that slavery/racism has nearly everything to do with it.

What do you believe is the explanation?

GoChargers 05-09-2013 01:22 PM

There's seriously people making excuses for her in here? Blathering on about reparations doesn't exonerate her from ducking taxes, period.

Donger 05-09-2013 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_spatula (Post 9671058)
I have already stated that I believe that slavery/racism has nearly everything to do with it.

I would imagine that crappy teachers are a large part of it, along with a substantial amount of not giving a shit by the students.

Donger 05-09-2013 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_spatula (Post 9671058)

I would also think that having over 50% (I think) of Black families not having a father present would contribute not only to crappy schools, but also drug use and other illegal activities.

SPATCH 05-09-2013 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9671049)
What if I'm descended from one of the hundreds of thousands of union soldiers who died fighting for their freedom? Great-great-grandpa frazod might have ended up being a land baron or railroad tycoon, but instead he got his ass shot off at Fredericksburg. What do I get?

**** your reparations.

I am not advocating 40 acres and a mule, dude. Of course that wouldn't work.

But I do believe there is justification for our government to proactively attempt to undo some of the issues created by our forefathers.

I was simply pointing out that it isn't nutty to believe in something like reparations.

I do not believe that handing over money or goods is the answer, though. I never said that.

SPATCH 05-09-2013 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 9671088)
I would also think that having over 50% (I think) of Black families not having a father present would contribute not only to crappy schools, but also drug use and other illegal activities.

In our society on Mars would more black children end up fatherless than white children?

Yes or no?

durtyrute 05-09-2013 01:31 PM

I'm not sure about the slavery thing, but I don't know how anyone could not want to skip out on taxes. Why don't they take some of that quadra billion dollar defense budget or the millions in foreign aid or the unlimitless billions from NASA. So many people back the government even though they get ****ed by them daily. It's mind bottling.

DJ's left nut 05-09-2013 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_spatula (Post 9671092)
I am not advocating 40 acres and a mule, dude. Of course that wouldn't work.

But I do believe there is justification for our government to proactively attempt to undo some of the issues created by our forefathers.

I was simply pointing out that it isn't nutty to believe in something like reparations.

I do not believe that handing over money or goods is the answer, though. I never said that.

As does just about everyone else.

Here's the problem - it's been tried. Over and over and over again it's been tried. Magnet schools, minority scholarships, huge education grants to predominantly minority schools, funding formula modifications, on and on and on.

The government has done a TON to try to get more education to disenfranchised minorities but the problem is that oftentimes the family simply does not do their part in it.

"Provide education" is always the easy answer, but it presupposes that the government hasn't tried to do exactly that. They most certainly have and at some point, the black community has to take ownership of the fact that they have very frequently pissed those opportunities away.

kcxiv 05-09-2013 01:32 PM

that bitch knows NOTHING about being a slave what happened 400 years ago or even 100 years ago, is irrelevent to her, maybe her grandmother or her great grandmother, but to her? absolutely NOTHING.

I hate when people do that shit, its like bitch, you dont know what its like to be a slave.

Donger 05-09-2013 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_spatula (Post 9671096)
In our society on Mars would more black children end up fatherless than white children?

Yes or no?

I would hope not. But I guess I don't see what slavery and racism has to do with the Blacks fathers' decisions to not take care of their kids.

Chief_For_Life58 05-09-2013 01:36 PM

Quote:

YES or NO

Would the coca plant grow on this planet?

ThaVirus 05-09-2013 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_spatula (Post 9670510)
PREFACE: I do not agree with Lauryn Hill's reparations excuse for not paying taxes, HOWEVER...

I think the average (white) citizens of our society sometimes lack perspective when it comes to the history of African Americans in our country.

1787: the Constitution of the United States is drafted. The 3/5 Compromise declares that black slaves are considered 3/5 of a person to help bolster voting bloc in southern US.

1870: 15th amendment passes giving blacks citizenship/right to vote.

*This means that less than 150 (only 5 generations ago) years ago blacks WERE NOT EVEN CONSIDERED PEOPLE BY OUR CONSTITUTION (they were 3/5 of a person - which is insanely dehumanizing, dudes).

1880s - 1960s: Much of the United States is hell-bent on keeping blacks out of mainstream society. Jim Crow laws are adopted, Plessy v Ferguson (separate but equal) rules, Ku Klux Klan forms up, etc.

WE ARE ONLY TWO GENERATIONS REMOVED THE CIVIL RIGHTS MOVEMENT (many of us were raised by parents who were raised in a systematically [and socially accepted] racist world).

If you don't believe that blacks have been systematically disadvantaged throughout the VAST majority of our nation's history then you do not know your history.

It takes time to overcome all of those things. Racism is still alive and well in our country (as has been repeatedly proven on this board). We have come a long way as a society, but there are still a lot of demons from our nation's past that need to be exorcised.

Insightful historical analysis.

SPATCH 05-09-2013 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9671103)
As does just about everyone else.

Here's the problem - it's been tried. Over and over and over again it's been tried. Magnet schools, minority scholarships, huge education grants to predominantly minority schools, funding formula modifications, on and on and on.

The government has done a TON to try to get more education to disenfranchised minorities but the problem is that oftentimes the family simply does not do their part in it.

"Provide education" is always the easy answer, but it presupposes that the government hasn't tried to do exactly that. They most certainly have and at some point, the black community has to take ownership of the fact that they have very frequently pissed those opportunities away.

You're being too impatient. Remember where this country was just two generations ago.

I think those government initiatives toward the education of minorities are working. Things are improving and will continue to do so as long as they are in place.

Things don't change over night. Let this play out, man. It IS working.

Pasta Little Brioni 05-09-2013 01:39 PM

Dumb bitch

SPATCH 05-09-2013 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief_For_Life58 (Post 9671116)
Would the coca plant grow on this planet?

Yes

cosmo20002 05-09-2013 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by houstonwhodat (Post 9669778)
It never ends does it?

Lauryn Hill Blames Slavery For Not Paying Her Taxes

Doesn't Lauryn Hill realize that slavery was necessary to teach black folks discipline and give them work skills?

/BEP aka BucEyedPea

SPATCH 05-09-2013 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 9671113)
I would hope not. But I guess I don't see what slavery and racism has to do with the Blacks fathers' decisions to not take care of their kids.

Can you offer a reason as to why we don't see it in our society on Mars, but we see it here?

loochy 05-09-2013 01:45 PM

Quote:

YES or NO

NO

DUhr

unless of course there is some kind of genetic predisposition - after all there is genetic predisposition to make dudes like other dudes

reparations and affirmative action don't fix the problem NOW though

generations of blacks need to unlearn destructive behavior and generations of whites need to unlearn their racist/whatever behavior

SPATCH 05-09-2013 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9671137)
NO

DUhr

unless of course there is some kind of genetic predisposition - after all there is genetic predisposition to make dudes like other dudes

reparations and affirmative action don't fix the problem NOW though

generations of blacks need to unlearn destructive behavior and generations of whites need to unlearn their racist/whatever behavior

...and I definitely agree with you.

However, there were a few people in this thread that were getting carried away with the idea that believing in a need for reparations makes a person "crazy". It is not crazy. But, it is also not the answer (which you have pointed out).

Government initiatives to further the education of minorities have a much more lasting benefit (as was pointed out by another poster).

Donger 05-09-2013 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_spatula (Post 9671132)
Can you offer a reason as to why we don't see it in our society on Mars, but we see it here?

Sure, but let's see why you think it is here first.

Skyy God 05-09-2013 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exterminator (Post 9671012)
It's the white man's fault because they're in prison?

Specifically, the judge and prosecutor, who, statistically, are likely to be white.

Quote:

A new academic study of 58,000 federal criminal cases has found significant disparities in sentencing for blacks and whites arrested for the same crimes. The research led to the conclusion that <b>African-Americans’ jail time was almost 60% longer than white sentences.</b>

According to M. Marit Rehavi of the University of British Columbia and Sonja B. Starr, who teaches criminal law at the University of Michigan Law School, the racial disparities can be explained “in a single prosecutorial decision: whether to file a charge carrying a mandatory minimum sentence….Black men were on average more than twice as likely to face a mandatory minimum charge as white men were, holding arrest offense as well as age and location constant.” Prosecutors are about twice as likely to impose mandatory minimums on black defendants as on white defendants.

In federal cases, black defendants faced average sentences of 60 months, while the average for white defendants was only 38 months.
http://www.allgov.com/news/top-stori...es?news=843984