ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV The Great Gatsby sucks (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=272923)

blaise 05-10-2013 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9672515)
You may laugh but Fight Club and American Psycho were both excellent adaptations. Palahniuk said he preferred the film's ending to the book's.

I read the story, didn't see the film, but I understand Brokeback Mountain was a good adaptation.

Same thing with The Unbearable Lightness of Being. I only read the book, but I know the film got good ratings.

You see Jane Austen type adaptations done with some success. Although I don't know that many were in the last 20 years.

DaveNull 05-10-2013 05:50 AM

Fantastic Mr. Fox was pretty great.

'Hamas' Jenkins 05-10-2013 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 9672680)
I read the story, didn't see the film, but I understand Brokeback Mountain was a good adaptation.

Same thing with The Unbearable Lightness of Being. I only read the book, but I know the film got good ratings.

You see Jane Austen type adaptations done with some success. Although I don't know that many were in the last 20 years.

I've had a copy of ULoB for over a decade and have never cracked it. Thanks for reminding me of my need to :).

'Hamas' Jenkins 05-10-2013 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ponderception (Post 9672655)
The accent ruined it for me.

Everyone should speak with a Sout' Afreekan accent.

BWillie 05-10-2013 08:33 AM

I didn't know Dicaprio made bad movies

MahiMike 05-10-2013 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonton Prejudice (Post 9671760)
Apparently there's a shit ton of rap in the soundtrack, too. Which makes me retch.

wth? Really? How much rap did they have in the roaring 20's? Stoopid.

Rap is bad any time. But especially out of context.

blaise 05-10-2013 08:51 AM

DiCaprio seems like he'd be perfect for the role. He looks like what you'd imagine Gatsby would look like, and he has the charisma to pull it off. I just don't know that you can put the novel on screen effectively. I'm not even sure why you need to. The book is short. You could probably read half of it in the time it took to watch the film.

Frazod 05-10-2013 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahiMike (Post 9672880)
wth? Really? How much rap did they have in the roaring 20's? Stoopid.

Rap is bad any time. But especially out of context.

This. I love period films, but this one sounds irreparably damaged from the start. Whoever thought it was a good idea to put of bunch of rap shit in the soundtrack should be fed feet first through a wood chipper.

Nzoner 05-10-2013 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoucheMcCloud (Post 9672473)
Eh, he was a freaking kid at the time but if you're going back that far into his career, he was phenomenal in Gilbert Grape and especially This Boy's Life.

Absolutely great movies :thumb:

Nzoner 05-10-2013 09:01 AM

My 19 year old niece really liked Gatsby,that alone makes me think I won't be seeing it.

Also,add another for liking The Beach,not by far a favorite but I still liked it.

bevischief 05-10-2013 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCtotheSB (Post 9671764)
Hated reading that shitty book in high school.

This.

blaise 05-10-2013 10:51 AM

That book is a great book.

mnchiefsguy 05-10-2013 12:15 PM

This is the movie that officially jumps the shark for 3D. It better make its money this weekend (I doubt it will), because Star Trek is going to take over all of those 3D screens next week.

underEJ 05-10-2013 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 9673306)
This is the movie that officially jumps the shark for 3D. It better make its money this weekend (I doubt it will), because Star Trek is going to take over all of those 3D screens next week.

I'll see the 3D Gatsby, and I hate musicals generally on Broadway or on film, but like Baz Luhrmann. Strictly Ballroom is hilarious. Romeo + Juliet is bold and stylish and breaks just the right rules. Moulin Rouge is my least favorite of the three because it just went too far, but it wasn't bad. I will give Gatsby a chance though I do wonder about the book coming through. Holding opinion until I see it.

There are so few real 3D movies. Star Trek is converted. Save your money.

L.A. Chieffan 05-10-2013 06:18 PM

it was one of those movies only smart people will like. I thought it was fantastic.

Reaper16 05-10-2013 09:17 PM

It wasn't the flaming shitpile I expected it to be. Pretty average movie. Heavy-handed as **** though. Leo was pretty awesome at least.

kc rush 05-10-2013 09:28 PM

Shawn Edwards loved it. That is enough for me to know to avoid it.

Red Brooklyn 05-14-2013 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 9674919)
It wasn't the flaming shitpile I expected it to be. Pretty average movie. Heavy-handed as **** though. Leo was pretty awesome at least.

Leo was awesome, as was Mulligan. I liked Tobey a lot more than I expected to also. His scene work was nice. His voice-over stuff was weird.

But I really liked the movie. Many have criticized Baz for his MTV-style directing. This, to me, was way more MET Opera than MTV. Bold choices, and I could see why people wouldn't like/respond well to them. But it was consistent and I really had a blast watching the thing.

DJJasonp 05-15-2013 01:44 PM

I liked it.....but I thought luhrmans Romeo and Juliet was brilliant. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

I also liked moulin rouge too....but Australia was awfully boring

Halfcan 05-15-2013 02:00 PM

150 million dollar bomb. The reviews were horrendous.

Bowser 05-15-2013 02:15 PM

My daughter saw it and was pretty meh about it. Even she, a junior in high school, thought the rap music was way out of place for the movie. Definitely didn't get a recommendation from her.

Setsuna 05-15-2013 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 9684707)
My daughter saw it and was pretty meh about it. Even she, a junior in high school, thought the rap music was way out of place for the movie. Definitely didn't get a recommendation from her.

What does a child know really? That's a horrible review.

Frazod 05-15-2013 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Setsuna (Post 9685308)

Apparently she knows that rap sucks shit and has no place in a movie about the ****ING 1920S.

Bump 05-16-2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9672672)
We'll all be waiting to kill you.

Taste this bad demands a lynching...

racist

Bowser 05-16-2013 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Setsuna (Post 9685308)

She knows more about how to put together a movie than you do, apparently. ;)

listopencil 05-16-2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoucheMcCloud (Post 9672507)
It's a well done film, albeit, slow. Eastwood's an amazing director and composer and DiCaprio is totally convincing. In the end, I just don't think the subject matter is all that interesting to today's audience.

I feel the same way about J. Edgar as I do Good Night and Good Luck. The latter was a very good film as well (with six Oscar noms) but it's really hard for me to sit through period piece dramas.

Now, L.A. Confidential on the other hand, I could watch every week.

I loved Good Night and Good Luck. I grabbed a rental copy because the subject matter fascinates me and was blown away by how well crafted it was. A pleasant surprise. I would recommend it to anyone with an interest in journalism.

bowener 05-16-2013 01:46 PM

I watched this last night, and I still am not sure how I feel about it. It is obviously heavily stylized, and with that being said, calling out the movie for using modern hip hop is more or less pointless. This isn't marketed as an authentic representation of NYC in the 20s. If you went into this film without any knowledge of the director and his previous films (especially Romeo and Juliet), then I feel you have no room to argue about his style of filming. I liked how he represented his world for the most part, but there were a lot of things I really disliked. Several times throughout the film there was some terrible CGI work done. I am confused by it because there was some good work as well, and so I do not know if it was done for a purpose or not (poor resolution of certain characters such as the black trumpeter when it featured him playing - but only in some shots and not others). This may just be me missing something, but it bothered me. There were also the obviously awful green screen shots, but again that may just be my taste (like when they are in front of JG's house going up the monstrous stairs.

Overall I liked the performances, but I just don't know how I feel about the rest I suppose.

Setsuna 05-17-2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9685727)
Apparently she knows that rap sucks shit and has no place in a movie about the ****ING 1920S.

Ok demographics wise we know people your age have the most money BUT they also have children who in turn spend your money on simple things like going to the movies, so in actuality movie wise, those children have your buying power when it comes to movies and this is why that movie chose that to pull in your children. Also most children don't have any sense and adore rap.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 9686942)
She knows more about how to put together a movie than you do, apparently. ;)

ROFL I don't know about that. I don't like rap personally but that doesn't mean I won't enjoy the great acting of Dicaprio as he has been on fire lately.

DaKCMan AP 05-21-2013 01:52 PM

Going to see it tonight, non-3D.

Setsuna 05-21-2013 04:05 PM

My sister absolute loved it and said true to the book. The rap was a non factor and wasn't placed in the wrong setting in terms of putting it during an emotional scene.

DaKCMan AP 05-22-2013 05:09 AM

We both enjoyed the movie. I haven't gotten around to reading the book yet, so I can't compare the movie to the literature.

Micjones 05-22-2013 07:29 AM

I went to see this yesterday and absolutely loved it.
Everything from the story, to the cinematography, to the score.

Best film I've seen in a while.

Discuss Thrower 05-22-2013 11:28 PM

Just saw it. Unsurprised how it was shot as its a Baz Lurhmann joint. I thought it was well acted and the plot is spot on about how Gatsby embodies the American Dream.. but only if you knew that going in.

The music I felt was Lurhmann's attempt to "shock" us an audience the same way people of the 1920s would be shocked with jazz music and attitudes.