ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   MU BIG 12 AND SEC PLAY EACH OTHER (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=273055)

Saul Good 05-16-2013 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 9686450)
There's one regular season football game on the list. The point isn't to compare football and basketball. It's to show the popularity of CBB and why these conferences are trying to capitalize on it.

It's a legit point. I've mentioned on here before that Slive was rumored to want Duke and North Carolina as 15 & 16 with the thought process being that the SEC could become the dominant force in both basketball and football. A conference with Kentucky, Duke, and North Carolina as historical powers, Florida as a current powerhouse, and complimentary teams like Mizzou and Arkansas would be an absolute juggernaut. What's more is that elevating the conference's basketball profile could cause all of the schools to invest in their programs...and there is a ton of talent in the SE that hasn't really been tapped by the SEC.

I was intrigued by the idea, but I worried that it could potentially be terrible for college athletics (and would likely spell the end of the tournament as we know it eventually) if that were to happen.

Slive has no love for the NCAA and no concern for the mid-majors (nor do I, really). If he controlled basketball and football, he would almost certainly try to pull the four superconferences (Big/ACC consolidating into the fourth) out of the NCAA and create a true football playoff plus a smaller (8 or 16 team) basketball tournament without any mid majors.

I don't know if that would be a good thing or not.

Saul Good 05-16-2013 09:21 AM

Reasons to think that Kansas won't eventually play Missouri again:

SZ has stated that they won't play teams that left the conference.

Reasons to think that Kansas will eventually play Mizzou again:

Kansas has already scheduled Colorado (the first team to leave the conference).

It's one of the oldest rivalries in sports.

The SEC and Big 12 have recently entered into a football partnership.

The SEC and Big 12 have recently entered into a basketball agreement.

BourbonMan 05-16-2013 09:50 AM

Unfortunatly..Saul Good is correct
Slive is looking at the big picture. He doesn't give a shit about KU/MU.
He is trying to make the SEC the Power house Conference.
You guys are trying to make Mountains out of Mole hills with this HE SAID/SHE SAID crap about KU/MU..:rolleyes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9686497)
It's a legit point. I've mentioned on here before that Slive was rumored to want Duke and North Carolina as 15 & 16 with the thought process being that the SEC could become the dominant force in both basketball and football. A conference with Kentucky, Duke, and North Carolina as historical powers, Florida as a current powerhouse, and complimentary teams like Mizzou and Arkansas would be an absolute juggernaut. What's more is that elevating the conference's basketball profile could cause all of the schools to invest in their programs...and there is a ton of talent in the SE that hasn't really been tapped by the SEC.

I was intrigued by the idea, but I worried that it could potentially be terrible for college athletics (and would likely spell the end of the tournament as we know it eventually) if that were to happen.

Slive has no love for the NCAA and no concern for the mid-majors (nor do I, really). If he controlled basketball and football, he would almost certainly try to pull the four superconferences (Big/ACC consolidating into the fourth) out of the NCAA and create a true football playoff plus a smaller (8 or 16 team) basketball tournament without any mid majors.

I don't know if that would be a good thing or not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9686506)

Prison Bitch 05-16-2013 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 9686473)
He publicly stated that KU would never play a team that left the Big XII conference...but somehow CU magically wound up on their schedule. Things change.

We already went thru this, and you're still as confused as ever.

Prison Bitch 05-16-2013 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BourbonMan (Post 9686564)
Unfortunatly..Saul Good is correct
Slive is looking at the big picture. He doesn't give a shit about KU/MU.

Wait, what? Saul said that this new hoops arrangement is a backdoor way to get old rivalries rekindled. But you're saying Slive doesn't give a shit about it. (Which is correct, he doesn't). So you seem to be confused, because you really think Saul is wrong.

mnchiefsguy 05-16-2013 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9686506)

Hey Prison Bitch...you should read the bolded parts...they are common knowledge, despite your denial.

BourbonMan 05-16-2013 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9686606)
Wait, what? Saul said that this new hoops arrangement is a backdoor way to get old rivalries rekindled. But you're saying Slive doesn't give a shit about it. (Which is correct, he doesn't). So you seem to be confused, because you really think Saul is wrong.

Yep, your right, he did flip/flop.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9684164)
So these games are going to take place over the course of five weeks...

Gross

This thing is ****ing stupid. It's about as intriguing as the Big 12 PAC 12 challenge was. (Anyone remember that abortion?)

Here's my theory (based on nothing other than the fact that I look dashing in a nice tinfoil hat): This series has been created as a way to grease the skids for the aTm/Texas and Mizzou/KU rivalries to resume without Texas and Kansas losing face.

Those matchups will happen around year three, and the administrations will be able to say, "It's time to bury the hatchet...we've already played them in this challenge...albeit begrudgingly...so we might as well go ahead and move forward with the rivalry games and schedule them on our own terms".

Pairing them up year one would be too obvious and wouldn't provide cover for the true intentions, but when the inevitable happens..."Well, we didn't want to play them, but we don't control that part of the schedule, so our hands are tied."

I still stand by my statement and still think that Slive is looking at the Big picture and doesn't give a crap about the KU/MU rivalry..except it would bring in lots of viewers and revenue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BourbonMan (Post 9684432)
I think this concept of playing other conferences for non-com is a great idea, it reminds me of the NFL...For example:
The AFC WEST have games against another AFC Divisions AND also play a couple of games against an NFC Division, the following years it switches to other divisions.
We could have the makings of something like that starting in the College ranks, SEC plays BIG12....Next year SEC plays PAC12, BIG12 plays BIG10..AND SO ON, AND SO ON.
This would eleminate playing CREAM PUFFS for NON-COM games, the only people getting hurt would be the Smaller Conferences and Schools.

Mr. Plow 05-16-2013 10:28 AM

Welp, it was a good thread for awhile - enjoy the new realignment thread.

Bambi 05-16-2013 10:53 AM

I hope Tennessee brings Jenny Wright

http://images.mstarz.com/data/images...rae-golden.jpg

Prison Bitch 05-16-2013 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BourbonMan (Post 9686639)
I still stand by my statement and still think that Slive is looking at the Big picture and doesn't give a crap about the KU/MU rivalry..except it would bring in lots of viewers and revenue.

I'm not sure why people think these games bring in revenue. As I said earlier I would guess ESPN would attract more viewers to Kansas-Florida than the Border War. I'm fairly certain it would sell out in Lawrence or KC, too.

RustShack 05-16-2013 10:54 AM

Rumors were that Iowa State would play Ole Miss in this. Kinda bummed but oh we'll ill take the W.

Saul Good 05-16-2013 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustShack (Post 9686705)
Rumors were that Iowa State would play Ole Miss in this. Kinda bummed but oh we'll ill take the W.

The 23-12 team is chalking up a game against a 27-9 team as a win?

RustShack 05-16-2013 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9686910)
The 23-12 team is chalking up a game against a 27-9 team as a win?

I'm not sure what Auburn team you were watching.

Saul Good 05-16-2013 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustShack (Post 9687036)
I'm not sure what Auburn team you were watching.

I misunderstood your post. Yes, Auburn should be a layup.

Prison Bitch 05-16-2013 02:09 PM

The new arrangement is obviously a trojan horse to set up old rivalries. And what better proof of that is the MU match up with W. Virginia?

Saul Good 05-16-2013 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9687134)
The new arrangement is obviously a trojan horse to set up old rivalries. And what better proof of that is the MU match up with W. Virginia?

Oh man. I should have addressed that issue.

Aw shit... I totally addressed that issue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9684164)
Pairing them up year one would be too obvious and wouldn't provide cover for the true intentions, but when the inevitable happens..."Well, we didn't want to play them, but we don't control that part of the schedule, so our hands are tied."

Prison Bitch 05-16-2013 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hound333 (Post 9684300)
I would love to play Mizzou every year, I just don't want to give up a game against UK or Fla or whoever is the best team in the SEC to get it.

That's kinda the conundrum. There are 2 types of schools elites play: "name" schools normally in a desirious locale, and dogcrap. Schools like Mizzou fit between that so they don't provide the huge national stage or recruiting exposure , but they also won't take a 1-way ticket to Lawrence for a beatdown and a paycheck. So where do you go from there?

Essentially the only two arrangements they'd take would be a home and home, or a neutral site. Since neither remotely works for KU, what's the point?

Chiefspants 05-16-2013 03:13 PM

I'm a KU fan, I miss the rivalry. Let's fire it up again soon, bros.

Saul Good 05-16-2013 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 9687299)

No, you do not.

RustShack 05-16-2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 9687299)

Don't worry, a new one is forming with Iowa State.

Mr. Plow 05-16-2013 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustShack (Post 9687459)
Don't worry, a new one is forming with Iowa State.

For a couple of years.

RustShack 05-16-2013 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 9687468)
For a couple of years.

Iowa State should be good for as one as Fred is the coach, and it will be more than a few years.

Prison Bitch 06-08-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9684375)
And of course, you are talking out your ass. If we look at public statements made by the University, by Zenger and by Self, your comment is clearly incorrect. Unless you suspect they are all lying. Which could be possible I suppose.

And right on cue yesterday in the KC Star:

“We miss Missouri … Without question … For the immediate future, for both programs, there is something missing — for the immediate future,” Kansas coach Bill Self said Thursday in his office. “But from our standpoint, they’re not part of our long-term future. And we’re not part of their long-term future.”

“My opinion is still the exact same it was a year ago, and it’s not a hatred opinion,” Self said. “It’s just like, ‘Hey, you took your ball and went and played with somebody else. We’re not just standing on the sidelines waiting to play with you. We’ve got other people we can play.’”

As for down the road?

“Maybe the next coach may see it differently, or maybe the next chancellor, or maybe the next athletic director,” Self said, “because time does have a way of soothing some things.”

But even as time might ease tensions, it also might foster apathy.

“Nobody’s going to view it as a great rivalry five years from now; nobody’s going to view it as a rivalry 10 years from now,” Self said. “There will be somebody else who will emerge in some way, shape or form that kind of fills that role for both programs.

“And it may not ever get to the level that the Kansas-Missouri deal got to. It probably won’t. I don’t see how it can. But it’s still going to be somebody else.”

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2013/06/07...#storylink=cpy

TribalElder 06-08-2013 10:42 AM

Everyone realizes this is how they will eventually get MU vs KU back on the schedule. Expect it in the "rotation" after a few years

notorious 06-08-2013 10:44 AM

I just can't get excited about regular season basketball, whether it be college or NBA.

chiefsfan987 06-08-2013 12:20 PM

What they should do to make this thing interesting is turn it into a 3 day early holiday tournament called The Big 12 SEC Challenge and try to get ESPN etc to buy the rights to the tournament. Winner gets a trophy and league gets bragging rights. It would be like the old preseason Big 8 tournament in Kansas City.

Prison Bitch 06-08-2013 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TribalElder (Post 9737704)
Everyone realizes this is how they will eventually get MU vs KU back on the schedule. Expect it in the "rotation" after a few years

No clue what you're saying here.

Pepe Silvia 06-08-2013 12:45 PM

I don't want to play KU anymore, I won't watch that game when it happens.

BourbonMan 06-08-2013 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9737802)
No clue what you're saying here.

If your serious..you might want to read the OP!!!!

If your really serious...then you might want to read the OP, before you start running off at the mouth...BTW, as long as there are fans like YOU and Saul Good, there will always be a Rivalry.

ThatRaceCardGuy 06-08-2013 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stonedstooge (Post 9682505)
Beakers still dodging us. Figures

**** you slavers

Bambi 06-08-2013 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TribalElder (Post 9737704)

nah. MU is entering purgatory as far as football and basketball goes. They did their best to abandon KU in a time of need. KU couldn't care less to watch them suffer. Some might enjoy it but most of us are more concerned with winning National Titles and returning to BCS games.

AphexPhin 06-08-2013 07:56 PM

lol its gonna be a bloodbath. The SEC runs things in college football (like it or not)

TribalElder 06-08-2013 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 9738363)
nah. MU is entering purgatory as far as football and basketball goes. They did their best to abandon KU in a time of need. KU couldn't care less to watch them suffer. Some might enjoy it but most of us are more concerned with winning National Titles and returning to BCS games.

The stage is set to force the issue by scheduling the game as part of the sec vs big 12 challenge. I would expect it to happen after a few years pass and people calm down.

ImAWalkingCorpse 06-08-2013 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 9738363)

A. You're an idiot, MU will be win more games in Football than KU will for many many many years. B. KU is NEVER getting back to a BCS game, and I mean ever. Texas, Kansas State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State will ALWAYS be in their way. No wonder Frazod dislikes you so much.

Bambi 06-08-2013 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImAWalkingCorpse (Post 9738499)
A. You're an idiot, MU will be win more games in Football than KU will for many many many years. B. KU is NEVER getting back to a BCS game, and I mean ever. Texas, Kansas State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State will ALWAYS be in their way. No wonder Frazod dislikes you so much.

KU is recruiting better than MU. The Big 12 is worse at football than the SEC. I'm much more comfortable being a KU fan entering the next 5 years than I would be being an MU fan.

But our differences make up CP and that's why I enjoy this board.

Prison Bitch 06-08-2013 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TribalElder (Post 9738475)
The stage is set to force the issue by scheduling the game as part of the sec vs big 12 challenge. I would expect it to happen after a few years pass and people calm down.

Hard to predict the future but Zenger and Self make very clear statements. I'm not certain the Big 12 wants to do something KU doesn't want.

Bambi 06-08-2013 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9738529)
Hard to predict the future but Zenger and Self make very clear statements. I'm not certain the Big 12 wants to do something KU doesn't want.

Texas doesn't care to play A&M and they are the most profitable program in CFB by more than $40 million per year. It doesn't matter to either school. It's time MU moved on and found a new home.

Setsuna 06-08-2013 09:30 PM

This is going to be a shalacking like no other. SEC basketball has never been dominant outside of a couple of schools. They just want to embarrass us after we've been raping championships in almost all sports for the past decade.

BourbonMan 06-08-2013 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9738529)
I'm not certain the Big 12 wants to do something KU doesn't want.

So you're saying KU runs the BIG 12 now???ROFLROFL

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambi (Post 9738549)
Texas doesn't care to play A&M and they are the most profitable program in CFB by more than $40 million per year. It doesn't matter to either school. It's time MU moved on and found a new home.

You and Prison Bitch need to RE-read the OP....This isn't about Football, AND I know it's shocking, but what they are trying to do...Has nothing to do with MU/KU...You and Bitch and Saul, are the only one trying to make it that way.