ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink What do you spend on fresh fruits and veggies a week (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=274122)

Fire Me Boy! 06-26-2013 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9777457)
nah.
I do a few veggies. But the only fruit I really like are Oranges. maybe a Fuji or Pink Lady apple. I really should buy/eat more though.

Damn. I love fruit, especially if it's in season. All this week I've been having fresh strawberries, blueberries, and cherries for breakfast.

J Diddy 06-26-2013 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 9777269)
Catsup ... catch up

Old, stupid joke. Made famous(er) in Pulp Fiction.

Hey **** you.

You go to hell and you die.

It apparantly wasn't that old, Frosty the shit for brains (who can't spell catsup) hadn't heard it.

:D

Ming the Merciless 06-26-2013 03:29 PM

20$ maybe, since I havent had a garden in like 2 years

Frosty 06-26-2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Diddy (Post 9777503)
Hey **** you.

You go to hell and you die.

It apparantly wasn't that old, Frosty the shit for brains (who can't spell catsup) hadn't heard it.

:D

I had heard the joke; I was just giving you shit for not knowing how to pronounce catsup.

It would have actually been funny if you had written ketchup instead of catsup.

:p

J Diddy 06-26-2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 9777512)
I had heard the joke; I was just giving you shit for not knowing how to pronounce catsup.

It would have actually been funny if you had written ketchup instead of catsup.

:p

Well dammit. I wanted to add flair.

My flair was never there.

Fire Me Boy! 06-26-2013 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Diddy (Post 9777524)
Well dammit. I wanted to add flair.

My flair was never there.

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/742/tf9g.jpg

Bump 06-26-2013 03:44 PM

a little on veggies. But the produce here is ****ing awful.

Costco is the only place I buy produce. It's usually good. The grocery stores, even Roch Brothers, which is supposed to be all about produce and has an appearance of an upper scale grocery store kind of. It's just shit quality.

I need to see if there are any farmers markets around here.

Psyko Tek 06-26-2013 07:01 PM

are pickles a veggie?
then $5.56

Deberg_1990 06-26-2013 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 9777479)
Damn. I love fruit, especially if it's in season. All this week I've been having fresh strawberries, blueberries, and cherries for breakfast.

Why are you so portly if u love fruit so much? :)

Just Passin' By 06-26-2013 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 9777436)
I disagree. I (now) think Hunt's is better. Just a flavor preference.

And it's certainly yours to choose. Heinz beats Hunts in the ATK taste tests, though.

J Diddy 06-26-2013 10:39 PM

Between the occassional veggie/fruit stands on the side of the road and the farmers markets it can be pretty inexpensive. I'd say maybe $25 a week.

cdcox 06-26-2013 10:39 PM

Well over $100. I spend at least $60 per month on produce that I eat alone.

J Diddy 06-26-2013 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 9778637)
And it's certainly yours to choose. Heinz beats Hunts in the ATK taste tests, though.

Always remembered those cartoons saying not to drown your food, so I never got into the Ketchup/catsup craze.

Fire Me Boy! 06-27-2013 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9778263)
Why are you so portly if u love fruit so much? :)

I don't do a good job at eating veggies, I love me some carbs, and I suck at portion control. There is more at play than I care to divulge here, and I find it very difficult to exercise because of a pretty severe case of asthma.

Anything else, or did you just come to call the fat guy fat?

chiefzilla1501 06-27-2013 06:09 AM

I think there are ways to make your veggies last longer. For example, I read that you can cut herbs up, pour some olive oil on it, then preserve in ice cubes.

ptlyon 06-27-2013 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 9778793)
I don't do a good job at eating veggies, I love me some carbs, and I suck at portion control. There is more at play than I care to divulge here, and I find it very difficult to exercise because of a pretty severe case of asthma.

Anything else, or did you just come to call the fat guy fat?

Fatty fat guy is fat

Dayze 06-27-2013 07:57 AM

this week it was 2 cobs of corn, and about 5 mushrooms.

so, about $2.

Rausch 06-27-2013 08:04 AM

I eat a lot of animals and animals eat a ton of fruits and veggies so I'm going with all my food budget...

ptlyon 06-27-2013 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9778946)
I eat a lot of animals and animals eat a ton of fruits and veggies so I'm going with all my food budget...

Would you eat Donger's wiener if he scraped it off?

keg in kc 06-27-2013 08:12 AM

More than I want and less than I should. I have started to use frozen as much as possible, though, both because it's cheaper and because it won't get thrown away if I decide I want to eat burgers all week. But some things are a constant, mainly strawberries, apples, pears, peaches and salads (that one's the weekly garbage buy). Oh, and when I'm biking a lot, bananas. But they're a garbage risk too because I won't eat them until they're at least semi-green. Any hint of brown and they're in the trash.

MOhillbilly 06-27-2013 08:12 AM

I've made myself sick eating peaches and strawberries.

Dayze 06-27-2013 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOhillbilly (Post 9778967)
I've made myself sick eating peaches and strawberries.

dosn't Peaches work the day shift a BabyDolls?

Fire Me Boy! 06-27-2013 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9778962)
More than I want and less than I should. I have started to use frozen as much as possible, though, both because it's cheaper and because it won't get thrown away if I decide I want to eat burgers all week. But some things are a constant, mainly strawberries, apples, pears, peaches and salads (that one's the weekly garbage buy). Oh, and when I'm biking a lot, bananas. But they're a garbage risk too because I won't eat them until they're at least semi-green. Any hint of brown and they're in the trash.

Brown bananas are how you make banana bread.

Rausch 06-27-2013 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 9778960)
Would you eat Donger's wiener if he scraped it off?

Why?

Does he shove veggies in it?...

Frosty 06-27-2013 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9778962)
Oh, and when I'm biking a lot, bananas. But they're a garbage risk too because I won't eat them until they're at least semi-green. Any hint of brown and they're in the trash.

Here's a cool way to use up brown bananas.

Peel the bananas and mash them up with a fork. Add 1/2 cup of rolled oats (oatmeal) per banana (if you have a blender or food processor, you can pulse the rolled oats a few times for a finer consistency). If you want, you can also add a sprinkle of cinnamon and/or some raisins (cinnamon and a spoonful of applesauce is really good).

Mix it up and spoon onto a cookie sheet. Bake for about 15 minutes at 350°. I've made both cookies and bars. The bars take a little longer (20 minutes-ish)and should be flipped about halfway through.

Super easy and tasty. They have no sugar or fat and are portable.

Fire Me Boy! 06-27-2013 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 9779026)

Peel the bananas and mash them up with a fork. Add 1/2 cup of rolled oats (oatmeal) per banana (if you have a blender or food processor, you can pulse the rolled oats a few times for a finer consistency). If you want, you can also add a sprinkle of cinnamon and/or some raisins (cinnamon and a spoonful of applesauce is really good).

Mix it up and spoon onto a cookie sheet. Bake for about 15 minutes at 350°. I've made both cookies and bars. The bars take a little longer (20 minutes-ish)and should be flipped about halfway through.

I saw that on Facebook earlier today...

Quote:

When you have a sweet tooth and want to stay on track, here's a nice treat.
Sugar is NOT an added ingredient.

3 mashed bananas (ripe)
1/3 cup apple sauce
2 cups oats
1/4 cup almond milk
1/2 cup raisins (optional)
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon

Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes

PLEASE SHARE :)
To SAVE this recipe, be sure to click SHARE so it will store on your personal page.

For more healthy recipes, tips, motivation and fun, join us here http://www.facebook.com/groups/skinnynow/

Frosty 06-27-2013 09:02 AM

You don't need the almond milk or applesauce if you don't want it. Just bananas and oatmeal works (and tastes) fine.

ptlyon 06-27-2013 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9779022)
Why?

Does he shove veggies in it?...

Earlier thread reference my friend

Rausch 06-27-2013 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 9779072)
Earlier thread reference my friend

I should not be punished for staying in-thread...

ptlyon 06-27-2013 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9779073)
I should not be punished for staying in-thread...

Was a joke man!

Frosty 06-27-2013 09:35 AM

You know those horror movies where the evil bad guy is really old but is kept young by some magic device and then when the device is destroyed, the bad guy ages really fast?

Well, apparently there is magic gas in bagged lettuce. I swear that after you open the bag and let the magic gas out, you can see the lettuce spoil right before your eyes.

Pepe Silvia 06-27-2013 09:41 AM

Not much, fruit rots too quickly.

CHENZ A! 06-27-2013 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 9779026)

Definitely going to try this.

J Diddy 06-27-2013 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PackerinMo (Post 9779158)

Reminds me of an old joke.

A 90 year old woman decided early in her life that she was going to stay abstinent for the Lord. One day her vagina started hurting and each day kept getting progressively worse. Finally she decided she must have caught an STD somehow and heard horrible stories of the stealthy rape sloth who might have ravaged her during the night. So she made a doctor's appointment. Finally the day arrives and she goes to her visit.

After a quick exam, the doc takes a look at her and says, "I assure you that no rape sloth attacked you, you have no std and are in fact still a virgin. Problem is your cherry is rotten and you have fruit flies."

Chief Roundup 06-27-2013 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PackerinMo (Post 9779158)

You might not be eating very much of it then.

Rausch 06-27-2013 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 9779080)
Was a joke man!

Good thing you wised up.

I take seriously very seriously...

Frosty 06-27-2013 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHENZ A! (Post 9779171)
Definitely going to try this.

By the way, you don't have to immediately make the cookies when the bananas get overripe. Just peel them them and stick them in a Ziploc in the freezer. The frozen bananas will mix just as well when you have time to make the cookies/bars. They may be a little more liquid-y but just add a little more oatmeal to compensate.

ptlyon 06-27-2013 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9779206)
Good thing you wised up.

I take seriously very seriously...

How many posts of mine have ever berm serious? Seriously.

Rausch 06-27-2013 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 9779209)
How many posts of mine have ever berm serious? Seriously.

If you're trying to sell being as FOS as I am, I'm buying...

ptlyon 06-27-2013 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9779217)
If you're trying to sell being as FOS as I am, I'm buying...

Cool. CC 7 please.

CHENZ A! 06-27-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 9779208)
By the way, you don't have to immediately make the cookies when the bananas get overripe. Just peel them them and stick them in a Ziploc in the freezer. The frozen bananas will mix just as well when you have time to make the cookies/bars. They may be a little more liquid-y but just add a little more oatmeal to compensate.

Word.

cdcox 06-30-2013 07:43 AM

I just ran 10 days worth of grocery receipts and fresh produce came in at $95.

We're probably running $250 a month on a consistent basis. Just ate a huge bowl of fruit with fresh nectarines, strawberries, kiwi and blueberries. That plus some greek yogurt has been a pretty consistent breakfast for me the last few months.

Lunch today will be roasted sweet potatoes, carrots, and beets, and sauteed mushrooms. Typically at work I'll eat one of those pre-washed plastic boxes of salad greens with dressing -- I'm willing to pay extra for the convenience.

I don't worry too much about fruits and veggies at dinner since I am getting plenty at breakfast and lunch.