ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Goodell enforcing more stupid rules to make the game less fun (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=275121)

WhiteWhale 08-07-2013 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kysirsoze (Post 9864095)
I don't think he can unilaterally institute a rule, no, but a president can't pass a law, either. That doesn't mean when his agenda is enacted he won't be held responsible.

That is apples and oranges. This is not government.

The Commissioner is a sheriff, not an all powerful leader. These teams have owners and the commissioner works for them, not the other way around. They're the ones who pass these rules.

Putting the entire blame on one person when he is not actually responsible is not holding them responsible. It's scapegoating. At least shake your fist at the right people.

-King- 08-07-2013 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9864151)
Of course, I would love to see Bowe pointing at his name go away. I hate that stupid move of his.

Why?
Posted via Mobile Device

007 08-07-2013 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 9864400)
Why?
Posted via Mobile Device

Because it is annoying. Why else? Of all the "celebrations" he could choose, he points at the name on his back.

Yeah, we know your name is Bowe, Bowe.

PhillyChiefFan 08-07-2013 06:41 AM

I'll admit I get sick of linemen dancing after a coverage sack or a CB celebrating deflecting a pass when they're team is down 21 pts, but a quick salute or an endzone dance after a 75 yd int return at home is another thing. Penalizing it is just plain stupid. It's football, not golf.

Definitely was looking forward to another Brandon Flowers bicep flex in Oakland's endzone again this year...

the Talking Can 08-07-2013 06:46 AM

yeah, let's squeeze the last bit of humanity out of our rock 'em sock 'em robots...

i don't want anything spontaneous happening on my lawn

007 08-07-2013 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 9864413)
yeah, let's squeeze the last bit of humanity out of our rock 'em sock 'em robots...

i don't want anything spontaneous happening on my lawn

Hmm, Clint pic with Goodells head on it?

notorious 08-07-2013 07:07 AM

I don't give a ****.

The game will flow more like college football.

mdchiefsfan 08-07-2013 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhillyChiefFan (Post 9864409)
I'll admit I get sick of linemen dancing after a coverage sack or a CB celebrating deflecting a pass when they're team is down 21 pts, but a quick salute or an endzone dance after a 75 yd int return at home is another thing. Penalizing it is just plain stupid. It's football, not golf.

Definitely was looking forward to another Brandon Flowers bicep flex in Oakland's endzone again this year...

End Zone celebrations aren't affected by this.

Chief Roundup 08-07-2013 07:26 AM

Roger Goodell is not liked by the fans and players for good reasons.
If you are going to allow TD celebrations how can you not allow a Sack celebration.

Gray area questions. So they can't spin the ball period or they can spin the ball when they score a TD?
Can't salute at all or just after a TD?

Dayze 08-07-2013 08:12 AM

I'm ok with the endzone stuff being ok.
and my post that I liked this move was before I saw the specifics of the sportscent snapshot.

I simply can not STAND a player making a routine play and jumping up and doing some pre-planned WWE dance; acting like he just won the Super Bowl.

But, some of the stuff called out on the Sportscent shapshot were a bit much.

jettio 08-07-2013 08:35 AM

Why is everyone assuming that Goodell is solely responsible for every rule change or change in rule enforcement?

It used to be that players were not permitted to do anything to make the referree's job harder. Now, the refs assume that the ball will be changed on every single play unless it is two minute drill, because of players goofing off.

Now you have coaches like Chip Kelly contemplating running a super hurry-up offense that would require the ball being spotted soon as possible after the preceding play.

Goodell does not make all of the decisions for the NFL, nor does he base the decisions he makes on his own whims or research.

How stoopid does an NFL fan have to be to think that would be the case?

A lot of people on this board must really hate daddy because he was screwing mommy.

GoChargers 08-07-2013 08:52 AM

Yet another completely subjective rule that the league can use to ensure that the right teams win and the likes of Hochuli get more camera time. Goodell, the owners, and the refs need to take the stick out of their asses, because they're all ruining what used to be a great product.

Look for the Donks', Patriots', and Steelers' opponents to be called for this if they so much as breathe funny while they have a lead.

Frazod 08-07-2013 08:57 AM

And here comes ghettio, rushing to Goodell's defense! LMAO

GoChargers 08-07-2013 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdchiefsfan (Post 9864440)
End Zone celebrations aren't affected by this.

Those will probably be the next to go. :rolleyes:

Setsuna 08-07-2013 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9864542)

ROFL

lcarus 08-07-2013 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big nasty kcnut (Post 9864361)
i blame jane skinner his wife for not letting him into her endzone.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lol, no kidding. How much of a prude does she have to be for this to happen? With those lips of hers, she could really improve the NFL.

-King- 08-07-2013 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9864505)
I'm ok with the endzone stuff being ok.
and my post that I liked this move was before I saw the specifics of the sportscent snapshot.

I simply can not STAND a player making a routine play and jumping up and doing some pre-planned WWE dance; acting like he just won the Super Bowl.

But, some of the stuff called out on the Sportscent shapshot were a bit much.

Who does that?
Posted via Mobile Device

Setsuna 08-07-2013 09:12 AM

The funny thing is, it gives people more reason to stay at home.

Graystoke 08-07-2013 09:14 AM

NFL...No Fun League

notorious 08-07-2013 09:36 AM

Goodell does what the owners tell him.

Point your fingers at the owners.

Mav 08-07-2013 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 9863635)
Does Tony G's dunk fall into any of those categories?

Yeah. Seriously. The MILITARY SALUTE, but yet Jimmy Graham actually halted a playoff game because they had to fix the damn goal post that the reerun messed up.....

Im like super pissed about the salute. The other stuff, I can see. It can be considered taunting. BUT A MILITARY SALUTE...

They make you stand and put your hand over your heart, and take off your hat before EVERY SPORTING EVENT IN AMERICA. ****ing idiots.

Sweet Daddy Hate 08-07-2013 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 9864618)
Goodell does what the owners tell him.

Point your fingers at the owners.

**** them too. Starting in KC and spreading our way out.

Dayze 08-07-2013 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 9864564)
Who does that?
Posted via Mobile Device

shit man, everyone.

tackle a guy for 2 yds on 1st down; get up and scream to the sky etc.

Beef Supreme 08-07-2013 09:47 AM

But the Lambo leap is some protected ritual.

notorious 08-07-2013 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Hate (Post 9864631)
**** them too. Starting in KC and spreading our way out.

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instanc...x/30820623.jpg

Sweet Daddy Hate 08-07-2013 09:51 AM

LMAO

Rain Man 08-07-2013 09:56 AM

I yearn for the day that Chiefs players have a good play to celebrate.

Mav 08-07-2013 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 9864656)

Jamaal Charles, gave you plenty of those last year. Even though I didn't watch many Chiefs games last year, that run against the Saints was pretty damn impressive.

notorious 08-07-2013 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 9864656)

This rule would have been nice for the last 4 years.

We rarely celebrated and the opponents wore themselves out celebrating.

-King- 08-07-2013 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9864632)
shit man, everyone.

tackle a guy for 2 yds on 1st down; get up and scream to the sky etc.

Only if its a big hit. Unless you're watching different games than I'm watching cause I never see that on routine ordinary tackles.
Posted via Mobile Device

notorious 08-07-2013 10:02 AM

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/1854...f/k-bigpic.gif

GoChargers 08-07-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefTablet (Post 9864635)
But the Lambo leap is some protected ritual.

Because the Packers are a league favorite (Rodgers, marketing $$$, historic). If it was the Arrowhead Leap instead, it'd be banned.

9er guy 08-07-2013 10:30 AM

I think it's kind of wack you're effectively banning defensive players celebrating.

Those guys are out there working hard as well. They deserve to have a little fun.

I like sack dances...

Halfcan 08-07-2013 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kysirsoze (Post 9863561)
Really glad Goodell is standing up for that 1% of the fanbase that is so ****ing aggressively lame that they cannot stand the sight of people having fun. It's about damn time.

ROFL

That is about as lame as when the Chiefs would get penalties becasue Horsface said the crowd was TOO LOUD!

Chief_For_Life58 08-07-2013 10:39 AM

No Fun League

jettio 08-07-2013 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9864542)

and here is frazod.

Determined to give me a hard time from here on out just because I pointed out that a lot of gun owners like shooting their guns and that the fun of it was more of a reality than the chance that they would ever have to shoot somebody in self-defense.

And then frazod came up with some wild claim that open carry of firearms is less effective at deterring crime than concealed carry because the armed criminals would know who to shoot if there was open carry and that if there was concealed carry, criminals would be afraid to attempt crime on the possibility that some civilian there might have a concealed weapon.

frazod even took that to the point that he said that uniformed police officers in schools would be less effective at preventing school shootings than concealed carry teachers.

Just because I pointed out that gun owners like their guns and enjoy them and that I effectively argued for open carry, frazod takes it personal and tries to get personal with me from here until forever.

Just because frazod is a popular figure around he thinks her should be a chump with me just because he ended up looking stupid in two prior threads on his favorite subject and hobby.

'Hamas' Jenkins 08-07-2013 10:59 AM

Kind of hilarious that some people on the Planet would support a ban on verbal taunting.

My favorite celebration was Wesley Walls shooting the football.

'Hamas' Jenkins 08-07-2013 11:05 AM

BTW, every Chiefs fan should hate the salute. You know where that bullshit came from.

WhiteWhale 08-07-2013 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 9864663)
Only if its a big hit. Unless you're watching different games than I'm watching cause I never see that on routine ordinary tackles.
Posted via Mobile Device

I obviously am watching different games, and you obviously didn't watch a lot of Ray Lewis.

Even LB's who left Baltimore used to complain that Lewis always got credit for tackles they made because he'd make the biggest scene.

-King- 08-07-2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 9864805)
I obviously am watching different games, and you obviously didn't watch a lot of Ray Lewis.

Even LB's who left Baltimore used to complain that Lewis always got credit for tackles they made because he'd make the biggest scene.

Link?
Posted via Mobile Device

'Hamas' Jenkins 08-07-2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 9864805)

That always happens with name players. James Laurinaitis was called "pile jumper" at Ohio State b/c he'd get credit for tackles by simply running into the scrum late.

WhiteWhale 08-07-2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 9864809)
Link?
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm not your personal google nor do I document the lives and times of NFL players.

I watch games. He did the shit for 15 years.

houstonwhodat 08-07-2013 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverick91579 (Post 9864660)
Jamaal Charles, gave you plenty of those last year. Even though I didn't watch many Chiefs games last year, that run against the Saints was pretty damn impressive.

Shoulda never happened the Chiefs were holding.

You can thank the replacement refs for that.

the Talking Can 08-07-2013 11:39 AM

what if you try celebrate, but are so reeruned that you fail...aka Cassel jumping and missing the celebration in the endzone

do they throw a flag or hail you a short bus?

scho63 08-07-2013 11:55 AM

Goodell is a complete douche nozzle.

kysirsoze 08-07-2013 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 9864377)
That is apples and oranges. This is not government.

The Commissioner is a sheriff, not an all powerful leader. These teams have owners and the commissioner works for them, not the other way around. They're the ones who pass these rules.

Putting the entire blame on one person when he is not actually responsible is not holding them responsible. It's scapegoating. At least shake your fist at the right people.

Uh, the president isn't all powerful, either. He has a responsibility to his constituency (owners) congress (committees), and the courts (???). The president works for us, but he also can do things we don't want in the "greater interest". Same for Goodell. I agree he's not the only one pushing for this crap, but he does wield considerable power and he has used it to become little more than a whiny mouthpiece for an ownership that only sees dollar signs, rather than his actual job of protecting the integrity of the game.

I've linked the NFL constitution and bylaws. The commissioner's powers start on page 28 and go on for some time. Looks to me like he is more powerful relative to the NFL than the POTUS is to the US. He is intentionally given a great deal of autonomy once elected by the ownership. It's the entire point of his office.

http://www.nfl.com/static/content//p...rs/pdf/co_.pdf

No, he isn't instituting rules on his own, and there is plenty of blame to go around, but Goodell is as behind this as anyone.

Rausch 08-07-2013 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by houstonwhodat (Post 9864838)

Because players only hold for replacement refs?...:spock:

Frazod 08-07-2013 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9865011)
Because players only hold for replacement refs?...:spock:

The best thing about the replacement refs is that they were clearly out of the loop when it came to who should get preferential treatment and who shouldn't. Did they suck? Sure. But they sucked impartially.

Joe_Camel 08-07-2013 01:05 PM

NFL clarifies ball spin penalty

The NFL on Wednesday tried to clear up reports that players would receive 15-yard penalties for spinning the ball during touchdown celebrations, noting that it would be an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty only if done directly at an opposing player.

NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy made the clarification on Twitter.

to clear up bad info re: td celebrations like military salute/spinning ball: only flagged if player does it directly @ opponent

— Brian McCarthy (@NFLprguy) August 7, 2013
Carolina Panthers receiver Steve Smith, who does his signature ball spin after most receptions, said recently he'll have to tweak his celebration to comply with the rules.

"We are working that out," Smith said with a laugh. "I have to alter it a little bit. ... Some people probably are like, 'Yes, it's finally gone.' I hate to burst your bubble, but it's still here."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/95...g-opponent-nfl

Ace Gunner 08-07-2013 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe_Camel (Post 9865047)
NFL clarifies ball spin penalty

The NFL on Wednesday tried to clear up reports that players would receive 15-yard penalties for spinning the ball during touchdown celebrations, noting that it would be an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty only if done directly at an opposing player.

NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy made the clarification on Twitter.

to clear up bad info re: td celebrations like military salute/spinning ball: only flagged if player does it directly @ opponent

— Brian McCarthy (@NFLprguy) August 7, 2013
Carolina Panthers receiver Steve Smith, who does his signature ball spin after most receptions, said recently he'll have to tweak his celebration to comply with the rules.

"We are working that out," Smith said with a laugh. "I have to alter it a little bit. ... Some people probably are like, 'Yes, it's finally gone.' I hate to burst your bubble, but it's still here."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/95...g-opponent-nfl

In other words -- further choreographing the game :cuss:

notorious 08-07-2013 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 9864844)
what if you try celebrate, but are so reeruned that you fail...aka Cassel jumping and missing the celebration in the endzone

do they throw a flag or hail you a short bus?

Public execution.

BigMeatballDave 08-08-2013 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by houstonwhodat (Post 9864838)

LMAO It's okay. You're not the only team he's smoked on a long run.

007 08-08-2013 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverick91579 (Post 9864624)
Yeah. Seriously. The MILITARY SALUTE, but yet Jimmy Graham actually halted a playoff game because they had to fix the damn goal post that the reerun messed up.....

Im like super pissed about the salute. The other stuff, I can see. It can be considered taunting. BUT A MILITARY SALUTE...

They make you stand and put your hand over your heart, and take off your hat before EVERY SPORTING EVENT IN AMERICA. ****ing idiots.

They don't make you do anything of the sort.

kysirsoze 08-08-2013 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverick91579 (Post 9864624)

Do you actually consider that a sign of respect towards the military? Some football player saluting to celebrate a good play? How does that even make sense?

Dayze 08-08-2013 02:53 PM

I don't mind, and I was in the military.

the one thing that irritates me is if you're going to do it, at least do it right.
good lord.

jettio 08-08-2013 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kysirsoze (Post 9868493)
Do you actually consider that a sign of respect towards the military? Some football player saluting to celebrate a good play? How does that even make sense?

I think the salute was definitely paying sacred homage to those who fought and sacrificed in the late 90's when any opposing player did a salute when scoring a touchdown against the Broncos.

I think the fact that every celebration that becomes associated with a team or player gets mocked by opponents when they have a good play against that team or player means that none of those celebrations could be considered respectful or anything more than a silly celebration that a player adopts with the risk that it will be used against his team when they get beat.