ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   *** 2014 Prospects: Chiefs Visits / Met / Work Outs *** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=280847)

FRCDFED 03-28-2014 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante84 (Post 10522400)

Great size/speed/measurables. Any other info on him? What was his projected round in the draft?

FRCDFED 03-28-2014 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog Farmer (Post 10522486)
They already know Johnny Football is their target. I thought that the minute they traded Trent Richardson to the Colts to stockpile 1st round picks. Can you imagine drafting Manziel and Evans both together ?!?!?

Browns fans would freak!

OldSchool 03-28-2014 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FRCDFED (Post 10522823)
Great size/speed/measurables. Any other info on him? What was his projected round in the draft?

7-UDFA as a football player. His measurables might move him into 6th round consideration. Just judging from the video in the link though, his play doesn't warrant anything more than a 7th.

planetdoc 03-28-2014 11:35 AM

Memphis safety Lonnie Ballentine will visit the Chiefs for a personal workout

Lonnie Ballentine/S/Memphis... Pro Day #s: 6-3, 219, ran 4.38-4.40, 38 VJ, 18 Bench. Worked out for NE; visits with Az, KC soon.

— Adam Caplan (@caplannfl) March 26, 2014

Hog's Gone Fishin 03-30-2014 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by planetdoc (Post 10523005)
Memphis safety Lonnie Ballentine will visit the Chiefs for a personal workout

Lonnie Ballentine/S/Memphis... Pro Day #s: 6-3, 219, ran 4.38-4.40, 38 VJ, 18 Bench. Worked out for NE; visits with Az, KC soon.

— Adam Caplan (@caplannfl) March 26, 2014

There we go 6'3" and 4.38

Future Chief right there

Hog's Gone Fishin 03-30-2014 10:58 AM

From the looks of the OP now it's clear we're after :

WR
CB/Safety
DE

I guess the front office has been reading CP

planetdoc 04-01-2014 10:42 AM

CB Sammy Seamster visiting chiefs.

probably a UDFA

Dante84 04-02-2014 11:19 AM

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2014/4...terests-update

planetdoc 04-05-2014 08:27 PM

To me it looks like the chiefs are looking at:
OL 2nd-3rd day
S/WR all day every day
CB late
pass rushers 1st day

Telvin Smith is also a guy to keep an eye on. Chiefs havent shown much interest at the lB position except for him.

Hog's Gone Fishin 04-08-2014 04:23 PM

And not a TE in sight. I guess Kelce is our future

Sfeihc 04-08-2014 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog Farmer (Post 10548721)
And not a TE in sight. I guess Kelce is our future

Could be a smoke screen, Hog. Are there any TE's you like later in the draft?

Hog's Gone Fishin 04-08-2014 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sfeihc (Post 10548789)
Could be a smoke screen, Hog. Are there any TE's you like later in the draft?

No ! And it's not a smokescreen. Dorsey knows we need a DE, a WR, CB and Safety as well 3 OL. We don't have enough picks to include a TE and Kelce is supposedly a stud when he's not broken.

Hog's Gone Fishin 04-08-2014 07:33 PM

Chiefs | Travis Kelce to be top receiving TE The Kansas City Chiefs have TE Anthony Fasano as the starter at tight end, but TE Travis Kelce will be the top pass-receiver at the position, and he is an important piece of the passing gameShare: | Source: ESPN.com - Adam Teicher -

booger 04-11-2014 09:43 PM

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2014/4...senorise-perry

Senorise Perry. RB L'Ville. Brought in for pre draft visit to KC. Late rd/UDFA type

Hog's Gone Fishin 04-13-2014 06:24 PM

Sammy Seamster from Middle Tennessee State CB worked out for the chiefs

ForeverChiefs58 04-16-2014 07:08 AM

Virginia-Lynchburg cornerback Keith Lewis conducted a private workout for the Kansas City Chiefs this week.

Lewis visited the Oakland Raiders last week.

At the Richmond Pro Day, Lewis ran the 40-yard dash in 4.45 seconds.

He also registered a 31-inch vertical leap, a 10-3 broad jump and bench pressed 225 pounds 14 times.

Lewis had a 4.11 short shuttle and a 6.89 three-cone drill.

Lewis is regarded as a rising draft prospect in NFL scouting circles. This is a link to his highlight film: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kr1z...ature=youtu.be

The 6-foot-197-pounder had five tackles in the Medal of Honor All-star game, started in the SC Collegiate All-Star game and had 11 career interceptions, five returned for touchdowns with 29 pass deflections and three fumble recoveries in two seasons.

Here's a video of the workout in Virginia:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B80n...1B1Mk0/preview

Dante84 04-16-2014 11:03 AM

Updated with a bunch of names.

Surprise! We've met with a ton of CB's, Safeties, and DE's.

ForeverChiefs58 04-17-2014 06:37 AM

Middle Tennessee State defensive tackle Jimmy Staten has private workouts this week with the Green Bay Packers and the Kansas City Chiefs, according to a league source.

He has visited the San Diego Chargers, according to a league source.

He has an upcoming private workout for the Chargers and met with the New England Patriots at his school.

The 6-foot-3, 311-pounder was an All-Conference USA honorable-mention selection.

The Georgia native recorded 30 tackles, two hurries and a pass deflection last season.

He bench pressed 225 pounds 30 times at his campus Pro Day workout.Middle Tennessee State defensive tackle Jimmy Staten has private workouts this week with the Green Bay Packers and the Kansas City Chiefs, according to a league source.

He has an upcoming private workout for the Chargers and met with the New England Patriots at his school.

The 6-foot-3, 311-pounder was an All-Conference USA honorable-mention selection.

The Georgia native recorded 30 tackles, two hurries and a pass deflection last season.

He bench pressed 225 pounds 30 times at his campus Pro Day workout.
http://t.co/IN2HnRpVDa

Dante84 04-17-2014 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ForeverChiefs58 (Post 10568390)
Middle Tennessee State defensive tackle Jimmy Staten has private workouts this week with the Green Bay Packers and the Kansas City Chiefs, according to a league source.

He bench pressed 225 pounds 30 times at his campus Pro Day workout.Middle Tennessee State defensive tackle Jimmy Staten has private workouts this week with the Green Bay Packers and the Kansas City Chiefs, according to a league source.

He bench pressed 225 pounds 30 times at his campus Pro Day workout.
http://t.co/IN2HnRpVDa

Added, thank you!

Dante84 04-17-2014 10:09 AM

Okay, so I went back and looked at 2013 and 2012's threads... and we are doing a kick-ass job this year!

In 2012, we had 44 players in the list, of which 4 ended up being Chiefs (Poe, Stephenson, Wylie, Gray ---> 5, if you include AJ Jenkins, lol).
Spoiler!

In 2013, we had only 34 players in the list, of which 3 ended up being Chiefs (Fisher, Bray, Kelce).
Spoiler!

So far, with 3 weeks to go, in 2014 we have 55 players in the list.

Fantastic team effort! I wonder how many guys we will snag this year?

ForeverChiefs58 04-17-2014 03:54 PM

Andy Reid loves his versatility on the offensive line and it appears that's one of the traits of Marshall offensive tackle Garrett Scott, who visited the Kansas City Chiefs per Aaron Wilson. Teams can work players out other places (like their campus) but team visits to the facility are just visits, not workouts.

Scott, 6'5 and 310 pounds, was voted to the second team all conference by the Conference USA coaches.

Scott played offensive tackle at Marshall but has some experience playing guard, something you saw in Geoff Schwartz last year and free agent signing Jeff Linkenbach this offseason. I'm not surprised the Chiefs would want their late round picks to play multiple positions.

The Chiefs have been using a lot of their pre-draft visits with players who are projected be picked late or go undrafted. They've also been using their visits on players with injury histories. Scott fits the bill -- he's a likely late round or undrafted free agent.

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2014/4...-garrett-scott

ForeverChiefs58 04-17-2014 03:56 PM

http://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chor...dard_709.0.jpg

ForeverChiefs58 04-17-2014 04:04 PM

San Jose State
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BjHM695CEAE6cwX.jpg

Christian Gin @Christian_Gin

Former #49ers and current #chiefs QB Alex Smith observing the SJSU pro day today

3:10 PM - 19 Mar 2014

ForeverChiefs58 04-17-2014 04:17 PM

Linebacker Carlos Fields from Winston-Salem State, one of 16 players who worked out in the wind, rain, freezing rain and snow.

Fields and former teammate Donnie Owens, a defensive lineman, did their best to draw the attention of 22 NFL scouts. They’re long shots to be drafted in May but hopeful of signing as rookie free agents after the draft.

“This is our shot,” Owens said. “As D-II guys, we don’t have the luxury of all the TV games or any of that, so Carlos and I realize what’s at stake. We didn’t get a lot of exposure at the D-II level, so these pro days are even more important to us.”

Players went through a variety of drills on Wake Forest’s artificial-turf practice field, including the 40-yard dash, pro shuttle drill and three-cone drill. They also bench-pressed 225 pounds in the weight room and had their broad and vertical jumps measured.

Owens (6-3, 310) had 26 repetitions on the bench press, and Fields (6-2, 235) had 17.

“I think my high at Winston-Salem State before today was eight, so I improved a lot,” said Fields, a two-time CIAA defensive player of the year.

Fields, one of the fastest linebackers in the CIAA in recent seasons, didn’t get the chance to play in any all-star games, so the pro day might have been his only shot at impressing scouts.

“There’s been a few scouts that have talked with me,” he said. “The Green Bay Packers, the Chiefs, and the Panthers seem like they are interested, so that’s been good. I’m just trying to keep a good attitude and keep smiling, and hopefully I’ll get a shot.”
Fields said there is some pressure to perform, but it didn’t seem as if he let it consume him. He said he thought he ran the 40 in 4.4 seconds, but he didn’t know his official time.

“I’m trying to enjoy the moment, but I know it’s a big moment for a lot of us,” Fields said. “We’ve all been training pretty hard for this day.”

http://m.journalnow.com/sports/wssu/...4iRKx8.twitter

ForeverChiefs58 04-17-2014 04:35 PM

The Kansas City Chiefs are focusing their attention this week on the defensive line as they continue to round up visits with various prospects for the upcoming 2014 NFL Draft.

Colton Underwood, a defensive end from Illinois State, and Jimmy Staten, a defensive end from Middle Tennessee State University, are the latest prospects to visit Kansas City, according to reports. Underwood already worked out for the Chiefs, while Staten has one scheduled in coming days.

The Chargers and Patriots are also in on Underwood, according to NFP, and it's clear that most 3-4 teams are likely taking a look at some of the same late-round prospects. Underwood would likely line up as an outside linebacker at the next level with a 6'2, 256-pound frame. He had 66 tackles, three sacks and two forced fumbles last year. He also had a blocked kick, so that special teams experience will come in handy as Underwood tries to make a pro roster. Underwood was also a first-team All-Missouri Valley Conference selection and a third-team All-American and two-time Buchanan Award finalist and finished his career with 44 tackles for loss and 21.5 sacks

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2014/4...lton-underwood

ForeverChiefs58 04-17-2014 04:44 PM

Chiefs have talked with South Carolina QB Connor Shaw

"The two teams I’ve met with the most are Seattle and Jacksonville so we’ll see what that means," Shaw said. Shaw added he’s also talked to Kansas City and Minnesota.

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2014/3...th-carolina-qb

Dante84 04-17-2014 04:47 PM

Updated.

Pumped about Connor Shaw; I like that dude a lot.

Dante84 04-18-2014 09:24 AM

http://www.chiefsspin.com/te-austin-...nfl-spotlight/

Dante84 04-18-2014 09:33 AM

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2014/4...mi-erik-swoope

ForeverChiefs58 04-18-2014 01:10 PM

Bridgeton residents Dominique Williams and Andrew Pierce are putting their football skills on display for the NFL.

Pierce, a Cumberland Regional High School graduate, worked out for the Philadelphia Eagles at the NovaCare Complex on Thursday. Williams, a Bridgeton graduate, worked out that same day for the New York Giants in East Rutherford. He also plans to work out for the New York Jets today.

“I was not necessarily star-struck, but after it all, I just realized that I had worked out with these teams and it was like, these are the type of things that I dreamed about,” said Williams, who also worked out on April 5 for a Kansas City Chiefs scout at Bridgeton High School.

Pierce grew up a San Francisco 49ers fan but said his family roots for the Eagles. A picture he posted on Facebook of himself and two Delaware teammates outside the NovaCare Complex drew 265 “likes.”

“It’s crazy getting an opportunity to work out for a team that my family really loves,” Pierce said. “I think the coolest thing was just seeing their facility. They’ve got such a great facility there, and just being in the locker room and walking out on the field, it’s just a dream come true to even have the opportunity to work out for an NFL team.”

Williams and Pierce, who are close friends, both play running back. The 5-foot-9, 205-pound Williams rushed for 4,435 yards in his career at Wagner, ranking him fourth all-time in the Northeast Conference. The 5-foot-11, 200-pound Pierce rushed for 4,459 yards in his career at the University of Delaware, putting him eighth all-time in the Colonial Athletic Association.

Both Pierce and Williams said the workouts were easier than their respective pro days at their schools, when scouts from several NFL teams watched players go through generic drills such as the 40-yard dash.

“I was more nervous on my pro day than I was (Thursday with the Eagles),” Pierce said. “I knew (the workout) was going to be a lot of football stuff and it was just going to be one-on-one with the coaches. I was really focused in and relaxed.”

The workouts focused on position-specific activities. The players did cone drills. They ran routes on which they were asked to cut on command.

“I would run a stretch play and (a coach) would say, ‘Cut,’ or, ‘Bounce it in,’” Williams said. “It was to simulate as if we were in a game. … It’s not like the 40, where you’ve got to have, like, super-proper technique. It’s just like football. It’s like coming home.”

On Thursday, Pierce worked with Eagles running backs coach and former player Duce Staley. Williams worked with Giants running backs coach Craig Johnson. Both players said the coaches praised them for their pass-catching ability.

“I was very quick and explosive through my drills, and he just was like, ‘Man, you’ve got great hands. You’re pretty explosive,’” Williams said.

Williams said the workout with the Chiefs was “a bit overwhelming” because it was his first one. But he felt comfortable last Thursday in East Rutherford. He also plans to meet with the Houston Texans at some point.

“It was like a dream come true,” Williams said. “Now, I’m there, so I’ve got to give it everything I’ve got. … I wanted to learn more. I was so eager.”

Pierce said last week that he didn’t have anything else specific lined up, but he does plan to work out for more teams. He said the Eagles’ invitation came “out of the blue” after their scouts were impressed at Delaware’s pro day.

The NFL draft starts May 8, and while Williams and Pierce are longshots to be selected in the seven-round draft, both appear likely to sign with teams afterward.

“I’m pretty confident I’ll end up somewhere,” Williams said.

Pierce said he’s not concerned with whether he gets drafted or signs as a free agent.

“All I want is the opportunity,” Pierce said. “It definitely is something I worked for my whole college career. Just to get the opportunity to sign with a team would be an amazing feeling. It would be indescribable if I get a call on draft day or after draft day or whatever it is.”

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/s...9bb2963f4.html

ForeverChiefs58 04-23-2014 08:44 AM

The Kansas City Chiefs met this week with South Carolina State safety Kimario McFadden, according to a league source.

McFadden was a second team All-MEAC selection at safety last season.

He recorded 57 tackles, 2.5 sacks and one interception last season for the Bulldogs, who lost to Furman in the Football Championship Subdivision playoffs this past fall.

In that loss to Furman, McFadden led the defense with eight total tackles, one for a loss, and an interception.

The Franchise 04-25-2014 01:46 PM

Quarterback Tyler Russell put on a passing clinic for the Patriots, Packers and Chiefs yesterday during his workout at Mississippi State. His deep passes were on the money and Russell was also accurate with short and intermediate throws.

planetdoc 04-25-2014 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 10585132)
Quarterback Tyler Russell put on a passing clinic for the Patriots, Packers and Chiefs yesterday during his workout at Mississippi State. His deep passes were on the money and Russell was also accurate with short and intermediate throws.

he has prototypical size.

Dante84 04-29-2014 11:26 AM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Packers, Panthers, Texans, Jets, Chiefs have expressed interest in University of Kansas wide receiver, special-teams ace Josh Ford</p>&mdash; Aaron Wilson (@RavensInsider) <a href="https://twitter.com/RavensInsider/statuses/461189482050781186">April 29, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

ForeverChiefs58 04-30-2014 10:16 AM

Justin Jones, TE, East Carolina

Jones hasn't played a college football game since 2012 after becoming academically ineligible before last season. From what NFL teams tell me, his coaches at ECU haven't been giving him ringing endorsements, but he has the kind of raw but potentially freakish size and ability that teams cannot overlook.

Having had the opportunity to spend a little time around him, I find Jones very difficult not to like and root for. Jones spent the season working at a Jos. A Bank in the Atlanta area, working out relentlessly, and hoping he might get a workout or two. At 6-foot-8, 275 pounds, and with a 37-inch vertical leap he showed off for scouts at the regional combine in Detroit two weeks ago, plenty of NFL eyes were opened. He only played a few years of college football, yet 12 of his 52 career receptions were touchdowns, he has some unique red-zone possibilities and even as a situational pass catcher, there is talent to be developed.

A few months ago I would have called him a priority free agent in all likelihood, but given the NFL attention from teams like the Chiefs, Falcons, Eagles, Giants and Patriots, and conversations with scouts, I believe he gets drafted and I bet he does whatever he can to make an NFL roster.

His speed is not ideal, but a creative coordinator can find ways to get him on the field in certain tight situations, where jump balls mean much more than yards after the catch.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/...than-projected

Dante84 04-30-2014 11:17 AM

Sounds intriguing... his measurables are insane.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/X7t0fFyBVy0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ForeverChiefs58 04-30-2014 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante84 (Post 10595183)
Sounds intriguing... his measurables are insane.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/X7t0fFyBVy0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jason Dunn 2.0?

Charles and Smith are probably salivating at his measurables: At 6-foot-8, 275 pounds, and with a 37-inch vertical leap

The Franchise 04-30-2014 01:13 PM

6'8" and 275 lbs? Jesus ****ing Christ....

Dante84 04-30-2014 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ForeverChiefs58 (Post 10595458)
Jason Dunn 2.0?

Charles and Smith are probably salivating at his measurables: At 6-foot-8, 275 pounds, and with a 37-inch vertical leap

Dunn was a stud blocker; this guy doesn't seem to be very great in that department, at least based on this video.

I'm thinking more Leonard Pope.

ForeverChiefs58 05-01-2014 12:29 AM

Sleeper DE/OLB James Davidson (UTEP) has a visit coming up with the #Chiefs. Here's a link to his tape: youtube.com/watch?v=jldbMn…

https://mobile.twitter.com/caplannfl...55300763430912

ForeverChiefs58 05-01-2014 12:39 AM

Kansas City Chiefs have Justin Jackson/LB/Wake Forest in for a visit today...

https://mobile.twitter.com/TonyPauli...75377346215936

ForeverChiefs58 05-01-2014 12:44 AM

Kansas City Chiefs reportedly have Notre Dame DT in for visit

Notre Dame defensive tackle Kona Schewenke reportedly was in Kansas City Chiefs for a visit, per source. The talented defensive linemen is projected to play as a 5-technique in a 3-4 defense. At the schools Pro Day, Schewenke ran an impressive 4.88 40-yard dash at 285 pounds. Schwenke is athletic and versatile for a big-bodied player that will give him a chance to earn his keep in the NFL.

http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articl...itter_16166315

OldSchool 05-01-2014 12:52 AM

He has good body control for his size, but is poor overall and will probably struggle at the NFL level. There's a reason why the league isn't filled with a ton of 6'5"+ receivers, big people rarely have good enough body control to effectively use their size advantage at the pro level.

ForeverChiefs58 05-01-2014 01:07 AM

UMass DL Justin Anderson "turned a few heads" at Wednesday's pro day, writes draft insider Tony Pauline.
Anderson measured in at 6-foot-4 3/8 and 281 pounds. He logged forties of 4.87 and 4.92 seconds, while posting a 30-inch vertical jump, a 9-7 broad jump and 31 reps on the bench. Anderson met with the Chiefs, Dolphins, Buccaneers, Giants and Colts after the workout. After graduating from Maryland, Anderson transferred to UMass for his last season and collected 57 tackles, 7.5 tackles for loss and 4 sacks in 2013. He may be able to carve out a career as a versatile bench piece that can handle the interior or set the edge at defensive end.

ForeverChiefs58 05-01-2014 01:18 AM

The top pass rusher in Conference USA will visit the Kansas City Chiefs before the NFL Draft.

The Kansas City Chiefs are allowed 30 visits with NFL prospects before the official draft begins. They're using one of those to work out outside linebacker Derrell Johnson, according to a source at East Carolina University. Brian Overton, the school's Director of Football Operations, posted via Twitter that four teams were taking visits with Johnson, a list that includes the Colts, Ravens, Cardinals and, yes, the Chiefs.

Johnson is a solid pass rushing prospect that the Chiefs could target a bit later in the draft. He had 79 tackles last season, including 14 for loss and 8 sacks. That total led Conference USA. He also had 9 hurries and 1 interception. As a junior, he had 11 tackles for loss and 6.5 sacks. Measurements vary on Johnson, with a height ranging between 6'1 and 6'2 and his weight between 248 to 264 pounds.

Joel wrote this recently about drafting a pass rusher: "Bob Sutton's defense relies on pressure (as most good defenses do). The Chiefs defense was solid early on last season partially due to the way their pass rushers performed. They fell apart at times late last season with Houston and Hali each suffering injuries, which shows the impact of two good pass rushers would be missed. The Chiefs secondary has been a concern lately and one way to help the secondary is to force the quarterback to throw it quicker, which gives the secondary less ground to cover in a shorter amount of time."

He's projected as a 7th round pick / undrafted free agent by some.

What will draw teams like the Chiefs to work him out is his extensive starting experience in a 3-4 system as an outside linebacker and pass rusher. What hurts his stock is that several scouts seem to doubt his ability to translate to the pro level.

Johnson's CBS Sports profile concludes:

Despite his impressive play at the line of scrimmage, Johnson lacks the length and size to convince scouts that he's ready to make a swift transition from Conference USA to the pros as an every-down rush end, and he's probably best suited in a system in which he can put his "head-hunter" mentality to use on special teams and compete to put his nicely-developed repertoire of pass-rush skills to use in nickel packages.

ForeverChiefs58 05-01-2014 01:22 AM

Draft insider Tony Pauline reports that Mississippi State QB Tyler Russell "put on a passing clinic" in a private workout for the Patriots, Packers and Chiefs on Thursday.

"His deep passes were on the money and Russell was also accurate with short and intermediate throws," Pauline wrote. Because Russell's senior season was ruined by a concussion and a torn labrum, he may not be drafted. However, the 6-foot-4, 221-pounder has intriguing tools and is a decent developmental option due to his size and arm strength. Pauline adds that running back LaDarius Perkins was a "beneficiary" of the workout because he "really impressed scouts with his pass catching skills." Apr 25 - 7:25 PM
Source: TFY Draft Insider

ForeverChiefs58 05-01-2014 01:47 AM

According to walterfootball, the chiefs had a meeting at the combine with Aaron Lynch, DL, South Florida

http://walterfootball.com/draft2014meetingsteams.php

ForeverChiefs58 05-01-2014 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante84 (Post 10595671)
Dunn was a stud blocker; this guy doesn't seem to be very great in that department, at least based on this video.

I'm thinking more Leonard Pope.

That sucks. I was hoping for a mauler

ForeverChiefs58 05-01-2014 03:27 AM

Not sure if anyone's seen this. Pretty cool story about pre draft visits:

An Eric Berry Draft Visit Story

This one fell through the cracks, but reappeared in my timeline thanks to a retweet from the excellent Nick Jacobs. Two weeks ago Field Yates of ESPN wrote a post talking about draft prospect visits and how it impacts a player’s draft status. This post was written for ESPN’s Boston blog after it was reported the Patriots were visiting with Johnny Manziel and Teddy Bridgewater, so it was written with a Patriots slant to it.

Why does this matter to the Chiefs? Yates worked for the Chiefs’ scouting department in 2010 when the Chiefs had the fifth overall pick. To help explain the purpose of a draft visit he told a story about how the team handled pre-draft visits before the 2010 draft. Here are a few excerpts from his story.

[O]ur first visit that year was Cincinnati quarterback Tony Pike. We didn’t have a major need — or really any need — for quarterback depth, but he was a player we deemed worthy of receiving more due diligence.

The Chiefs’ quarterback depth chart in 2010: Matt Cassel, Brodie Croyle, Tyler Palko. The great “Tony Pike” was their pre-draft quarterback of choice. Yeah, quarterback evaluation in the Scott Pioli era was awesome.

Anyway… Eric Berry.

Several of our visits homed in on players who projected to be available when we selected fifth overall: Oklahoma State offensive tackle Russell Okung, South Florida defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul, Alabama linebacker Rolando McClain and Tennessee safety Eric Berry, the player ultimately picked.

Everything about Berry’s game-tape and background research suggested he would be an ideal choice at No. 5. The way he carried himself — he elected to wear a suit, approaching the day in a businesslike manner — and seamlessly connected with several coaches and front-office members reinforced that he should be our target with pick No. 5.

It is interesting to note the players the Chiefs considered with the fifth overall pick and how Berry separated himself from the group. Sometimes things are not as complicated as we make them when it comes to the draft. All it took was a suit and tie for Berry to stand out in the crowd.

http://arrowheadaddict.com/2014/04/1...t-visit-story/

ForeverChiefs58 05-01-2014 03:50 AM

Maurice Woodard runs 4.38 for Kansas City Chiefs at workout

Sammy Watkins. Mike Evans. Odel Beckum. Names in the upcoming NFL Draft that you are likely very acquainting to hearing about. Where do the Victor Cruz's of the NFL come from? Unfortunately, the common fan does not pay attention to small school players that aren't over publicised by the major networks and publications. Here is a one guy to take note of in Lincoln, receiver, Maurice Woodard. Invited to four all-star games over the last few months and played in two, Woodard is on the NFL radar so to speak. "I had the opportunity to perform and workout for the Kansas City Chiefs," Woodard said. During his workouts with the Chiefs and Winnipeg Blue Bombers, Woodard posted a 4.38 and 4.33 forty time. Similar to Wes Welker and Victor Cruz, the 5-foot-8 and 182 pound receiver was also waiting to hear confirmation if he would be working out for the St. Louis Rams.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/ar..._head_16342888

ForeverChiefs58 05-01-2014 04:00 AM

2014 NFL Draft: Chiefs work out several more fringe prospects

The Kansas City Chiefs continue to work out potential late round additions or undrafted free agent interests before the 2014 NFL Draft. The latest round of prospect news includes players on both sides of the ball. These aren't first-round players, rather they're potential priority free agents once the draft ends.

The Chiefs recently worked out a couple of Mississippi State players in quarterback Tyler Russell and safety Nickoe Whitley. Russell stands 6'4 and weighs 221 pounds and dealt with injury issues in college, playing only seven games last season. For his career, Russell threw 42 touchdown passes and 23 interceptions. He finished last year with a 65.1 completion percentage.

Whitley is a 5'11, 202-pound safety prospect who has also seen his stock derailed by injuries. He's a very tough player given that he played several weeks last year with a torn ACL that happened in Week 3. He had 55 tackles, 5 interceptions and 2 forced fumbles last season.

Justin Jackson, a 6'1, 230 lb. linebacker, also recently visited the Chiefs. The senior linebacker had 56 tackles and 2 sacks in 2013, and led the team in the same totals in 2012 with 81 total tackles and 4.5 sacks. Eric Galko projects Jackson as an UDFA and lists him at No. 31 overall among OLB prospects.

However, CBS Sports lists him among the freakiest athletes in college football in Bruce Feldman's annual Freaks List:

A linebacker who minors in dance, Jackson's nifty footwork is also quite evident on the field and in all the drills Wake Forest tests in. The 6-1, 230-pounder has been timed in the 40 at 4.44 and a broad jump of 10-8 to go with a hang clean of 400 pounds.

South Carolina State defensive back Kimario McFadden also met with the Chiefs earlier this week, according to Aaron Wilson. McFadden is a 5'11, 197-pound senior who had 75 total tackles, 2.5 sacks, one forced fumble and one interception.

ForeverChiefs58 05-01-2014 04:12 AM

Oops sorry if I reposted a couple

Dante84 05-01-2014 08:42 AM

Damn! ForeverChiefs58 is killing it!

I have some work to do tonight!

Dante84 05-01-2014 11:31 PM

Need to add:
RB Dominique Williams, Wagner
S Kimario McFadden, South Carolina State
QB Tyler Russell, Mississippi State
WR Josh Ford, University of Kansas
TE Justin Jones, East Carolina
DE/OLB James Davidson, UTEP
LB Justin Jackson, Wake Forest
DT Kona Schewenke, Notre Dame
DE Justin Anderson, UMass
OLB Derrell Johnson, East Carolina
DL Aaron Lynch, South Florida
WR Maurice Woodard, Lincoln
S Nickoe Whitley, Mississippi State
OLB Justin Jackson, Wake Forrest
DB Kimario McFadden, South Carolina State

RunKC 05-02-2014 12:07 AM

Guys if there is 1 QB that I think Reid would draft in this draft, it's Aaron Murray. Call it a hunch, but he just seems like the kind of QB Reid would jump on.

He's a lot like Alex Smith in that he's mobile, very smart, takes care of the ball and has good leadership.

He's got a good personality that seems to energize people and his accuracy is there. I think if he's there in round 3 we take a long hard look at him.

RealSNR 05-02-2014 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 10598639)
Guys if there is 1 QB that I think Reid would draft in this draft, it's Aaron Murray. Call it a hunch, but he just seems like the kind of QB Reid would jump on.

He's a lot like Alex Smith in that he's mobile, very smart, takes care of the ball and has good leadership.

He's got a good personality that seems to energize people and his accuracy is there. I think if he's there in round 3 we take a long hard look at him.

I really hope we do. I like Murray better than Bortles.

Oh, and I ABSOLUTELY like him better than Ken Dorsey... errr... AJ McCarron

Dante84 05-02-2014 07:22 AM

I like Murray, but I think Connor Shaw will be the qb pick up this year, in a late round.

ForeverChiefs58 05-02-2014 08:17 AM

MAY 02, 2014, 09:02 AM EST

Florida State fullback Chad Abram has worked out for the New England Patriots, Atlanta Falcons, Kansas City Chiefs and the Miami Dolphins, according to league sources.

The 6-foot, 236-pounder ran the 40-yard dasb between 4.58 and 4.65 seconds at the Seminoles' Pro Day workout.

He bench pressed 225 pounds 21 times and had a 35 1/2 inch vertical leap and a 10-7 broad jump with a 4.50 20-yard shuttle and a 7.08 three-cone drill.

Abram is a versatile fullback and a bruising lead blocker.

Florida State rushed for 2,844 yards last season, averaging 5.6 yards per carry behind Abram's blocking as the Seminoles set a school record with 42 rushing touchdowns.

He had seven carries for 29 yards and nine catches for 73 yards with three touchdowns.

Abram caught a touchdown in the BCS national championship game win over Auburn.

He also scored a touchdown against Boston College on a 10-yard reception.

Abram began his career as a safety before moving to fullback in 2011.

Abram doubles as a special-teams ace.

He's graded as a later-round draft target or priority free agent.

Dante84 05-02-2014 10:45 AM

List is at 75 players.

Defense: 47

Offense: 28

ForeverChiefs58 05-02-2014 09:12 PM

ForeverChiefs58 05-04-2014 08:29 PM

- Reps from the Chiefs, Patriots, Texans,Titans, Rams, Raiders, Buccaneers, Redskins, Cardinals, Cowboys, Jaguars, Bears, Ravens, Chargers, Giants, Seahawks, and 49ers were in attendance at Florida DT Dominique Easley's pro day workout.

http://www.eastcoastsportsnews.com/2014_NFL_Draft.html

ForeverChiefs58 05-04-2014 08:49 PM

Pro Day Notes -Representatives from the Chiefs, Saints, Broncos, Texans, Bears, Chargers, Raiders, Bengals, Eagles, Falcons, Colts, and Raiders were in attendance at the Georgia Southern pro day on Thursday, to see HB Jerick McKinnon and other prospects workout.

ForeverChiefs58 05-04-2014 08:59 PM

Pro Day Notes -Oregon HB De'Anthony Thomas, ran a 4,39 forty-time at the Ducks pro day on Thursday, with reps from the Colts, Bills, Jets, Texans, Seahawks, Falcons, Bears, Redskins, Titans, Chiefs, Cardinals, and 49ers in attendance.

ForeverChiefs58 05-04-2014 09:05 PM

Pro Day Notes -Representatives from the Bears, Chiefs, Giants, Jaguars, Jets, Rams, Texans and 49ers were present to see CB Qua Cox, a combine snub, run a 4.64 forty-time, post a 35" vertical, a 10-1 broad jump, a 4.54 short shuttle and a 3-cone time of 7.43, at the Jacksonville State pro day on Thursday.

ForeverChiefs58 05-04-2014 09:15 PM

Pro Day Notes - Former West Virginia, and current Montreal Alouttes HB Noel Devine, ran an unofficial 4.25 forty-time at the Mountaineers pro day this morning, with reps from the Bills, Bengals, 49ers, Colts, Falcons, Jets, Dolphins, Steelers, Eagles, Cardinals, Chiefs, Jaguars, Texans, Saints and the Chargers among 24 NFL teams in attendance - Devine is looking for a shot to catch on with an NFL team...Stanford DE Trent Murphy ran a 4.72 forty-time, S Ed Reynolds ran a 4.42 forty-time, and ILB Shane Skov did 28 reps at 225 on the bench at the Cardinals pro day on Thursday in front of reps from 29 NFL teams - the Bucs, Chiefs, and Rams were the only teams not represented at the workout.

RunKC 05-04-2014 09:17 PM

Watched Chris Borland tonight. He has short arms, but boy is he strong. He had 100+ tackles in 3 years and 14 forced fumbles. Also owned Micah Hyde in short distance situations.

Would love to have this guy on our team.

ForeverChiefs58 05-04-2014 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 10602533)
Watched Chris Borland tonight. He has short arms, but boy is he strong. He had 100+ tackles in 3 years and 14 forced fumbles. Also owned Micah Hyde in short distance situations.

Would love to have this guy on our team.

Will he get drafted?

- Bob McGinn of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, reports ILB Chris Borland has been taken off one teams board due to a left shoulder problem. The team feels he needs surgery on the same shoulder that has already been operated on twice. JSonline.com

ForeverChiefs58 05-04-2014 10:23 PM

Wyoming QB Brett Smith, a combine snub, measured 6-1.6, 207, 10" hands, ran a 4.51 forty-time, did 18 reps at 225 on the bench, and had a 10-8 broad jump, in front of representatives from the Chargers, Bucs, Falcons, Bills, Ravens, Bears, Panthers, Browns, Cowboys, Broncos, Packers, Colts, Jaguars, Chiefs, Saints, Patriots, Jets, Eagles and 49ers at the Cowboys pro day today.

Dante84 05-05-2014 09:51 PM

Updated. 80 names now.

Mr_Tomahawk 05-05-2014 09:56 PM

So we are linked to Derek Carr but we haven't visited with him yet?

ForeverChiefs58 05-06-2014 08:26 AM

@RavensInsider: Citadel defensive back Brandon McCladdie has drawn interest from the Panthers, Rams, Chiefs, Cowboys and Texans.

Dante84 05-06-2014 09:00 AM

Updated.

Hog's Gone Fishin 05-07-2014 02:46 AM

Well, from the looks of this list now I'd say we're gonna be drafting WR,CB,S,DE with a late rd QB thrown in.

Halfcan 05-07-2014 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ForeverChiefs58 (Post 10596902)
Draft insider Tony Pauline reports that Mississippi State QB Tyler Russell "put on a passing clinic" in a private workout for the Patriots, Packers and Chiefs on Thursday.

"His deep passes were on the money and Russell was also accurate with short and intermediate throws," Pauline wrote. Because Russell's senior season was ruined by a concussion and a torn labrum, he may not be drafted. However, the 6-foot-4, 221-pounder has intriguing tools and is a decent developmental option due to his size and arm strength. Pauline adds that running back LaDarius Perkins was a "beneficiary" of the workout because he "really impressed scouts with his pass catching skills." Apr 25 - 7:25 PM
Source: TFY Draft Insider

The NEW Tyler!! :p

Discuss Thrower 05-08-2014 10:12 PM

So KC goes with a guy they didn't even work out, eh?

Dante84 05-08-2014 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 10613802)
So KC goes with a guy they didn't even work out, eh?

Seems that way! Something to take into account for next year when we try to project our first pick, haha

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Dee Ford tells us he never had contact with the Chiefs throughout draft process. Said he&#39;s a big fan on Tamba Hali and Eric Berry.</p>&mdash; Herbie Teope (@HerbieTeope) <a href="https://twitter.com/HerbieTeope/statuses/464610436592439296">May 9, 2014</a></blockquote>

Discuss Thrower 05-08-2014 11:36 PM

I'd assume there's a degree of showmanship in predraft workouts.

Dante84 05-09-2014 09:08 PM

Lulz

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Another theme is the players didn&#39;t seem to have much interaction with the Chiefs.</p>&mdash; Nick Jacobs (@Jacobs71) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jacobs71/statuses/464963271443750913">May 10, 2014</a></blockquote>

Dante84 05-09-2014 09:09 PM

Guess we'll use this list in reverse next year.

- Insane Measurables
- Flashes late
- Good Senior/Shrine Bowls
- High Upside regardless of durability concerns

Dante84 05-11-2014 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante84 (Post 10600354)
I'm willing to bet at least 5 on this list become Chiefs when training camp opens.

I was close. Looks like these 4:

Aaron Murray, Georgia
De'Anthony Thomas, Oregon
Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, McGill University
Kona Schwenke, Notre Dame