ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football NFL's salary cap now projected to be about $130 million (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=281594)

OldSchool 02-23-2014 01:51 AM

If we can bring Clemons in on a low cost deal, I'm all for it.

mcaj22 02-23-2014 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chocolate Hog (Post 10447853)
Does Clemons suck or something?

Walker called him "average" and that the Dolphins wanted a game changer

average and now hopefully cheap/low cost would be perfect for the Chiefs though,

if guys like Byrd, Ward, Whitner are too expensive/bank breakers then if you like PFF, they have him graded out as the 5th best FA safety

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...gent-safeties/

4.1 @ 1150 snaps? to compare Kendrick Lewis had a -2.8 at 1072 snaps and Demps had a -4.4 at 600 some snaps. Absolutely horrible. Clemons and Abdullah would be perfect.

suzzer99 02-23-2014 02:40 AM

We need to look at what Seattle's secondary did, and the personal they had, and just replicate that as much as possible.

What's sad is I really felt like we had something like that for the first half of the season – and then it completely fell apart. I don't know how that happens.

mcaj22 02-23-2014 02:44 AM

Seattle actually rotates their d-line and secondary and our DC just watches paint dry.

OldSchool 02-23-2014 02:49 AM

I don't want to see Hali, Houston, and Poe get more than 70% of the defensive snaps next season. That means drafting a good OLB though who can swing to either side and give both players some rest.

Discuss Thrower 02-23-2014 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzzer99 (Post 10448033)
What's sad is I really felt like we had something like that for the first half of the season – and then it completely fell apart. I don't know how that happens.

Not facing NFL caliber QBs will make any team look good.

OrtonsPiercedTaint 02-23-2014 04:50 AM

May want to get a CP patent on Chris cLemons.

OldSchool 02-23-2014 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 10448055)
Not facing NFL caliber QBs will make any team look good.

This.

We started sucking when vet QBs figured out that our coverage wasn't actually very good and so they always threw the ball before our pass rush even had a chance to get to them.

chiefzilla1501 02-23-2014 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzzer99 (Post 10448033)
We need to look at what Seattle's secondary did, and the personal they had, and just replicate that as much as possible.

You know what's crazy? If Pioli didn't insist on his ****ing 2-gap 3-4, the Chiefs probably would have run a 4-3 under. I think signs point to Haley wanting to run that scheme, since he brought Clancy Pendergast in and was a very vocal critic of the Tyson Jackson pick.

-King- 02-23-2014 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 10447043)
Unless we are really set on signing big name free agents, I would rather not restructure Hali's contract. Unless he's some kind of good samaritan and truly agrees to a massive pay cut. We're just setting ourselves up to massively overpay him in his decline years.

Why do you keep on saying this when its not true?
Posted via Mobile Device

milkman 02-23-2014 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 10448134)
Why do you keep on saying this when its not true?
Posted via Mobile Device

That's what zilla does.

He sells bullshit.

O.city 02-23-2014 08:35 AM

In Tambas case, for all he's done for the Chiefs I wouldn't be upset if they made him a Chief for life. Rewarding kinda thing.

It's not something you can do very often but in this case I think you could

chiefzilla1501 02-23-2014 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 10448140)
That's what zilla does.

He sells bullshit.

That's what milkman does. When you don't have an answer, just attack the poster

You can't restructure his current contract because it just means you're on the hook for $14M in 2014 and you make him even more expensive to cut [EDIT: $14M in 2015]

If you offer him a contract extension, you are essentially giving him a contract based on his value today which is a pro bowl outside linebacker. In 2 years, you will negotiate his contract as a 32-33 year old who, who knows, may not be worth much of anything by that point. Who even said he's even worth keeping past 2015?

chiefzilla1501 02-23-2014 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 10448144)
In Tambas case, for all he's done for the Chiefs I wouldn't be upset if they made him a Chief for life. Rewarding kinda thing.

It's not something you can do very often but in this case I think you could

It depends on how much you're going to pay to let that happen. If he's 33 and is a backup pass rusher at best, I don't want to sink a starting contract on the guy.

milkman 02-23-2014 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 10448146)

You can't restructure his current contract because it just means you're on the hook for $14M in 2014 and you make him even more expensive to cut

If you offer him a contract extension, you are essentially giving him a contract based on his value today which is a pro bowl outside linebacker. In 2 years, you will negotiate his contract as a 32-33 year old who, who knows, may not be worth much of anything by that point. Who even said he's even worth keeping past 2015?

What you do, bullshitter, is turn the money from the last years of his current contract into up front money with a signing bonus that can be spread over the life of the extension, which allows you some flexibility to cut him in a couple of years when, theoretically, his play begins to decline.

-King- 02-23-2014 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 10448146)

You can't restructure his current contract because it just means you're on the hook for $14M in 2014 and you make him even more expensive to cut [EDIT: $14M in 2015]

Or you can, you know, just turn his base salary into a signing bonus instead of giving him an extension...
Posted via Mobile Device

chiefzilla1501 02-23-2014 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 10448169)
What you do, bullshitter, is turn the money from the last years of his current contract into up front money with a signing bonus that can be spread over the life of the extension, which allows you some flexibility to cut him in a couple of years when, theoretically, his play begins to decline.

Hali and his agent are not stupid.

If Hali negotiates today, he has complete leverage. They know Hali is pretty much guaranteed $8.25M this year. They know he's uncuttable. And if they negotiate a contract extension, they will have three motives: 1) maximize his signing bonus, which is critical for the twilight years; 2) make sure the signing bonus fully accounts for the $8.25M that are guaranteed anyway, so it's basically like negotiating in $8.25M PLUS a totally new contract for 2015 to 2018 (or whatever end year); 3) since Hali is coming off a pro bowl year and shown no clear signs of decline, they will negotiate his twilight years with that in mind. The Chiefs will likely end up with a contract that has a much higher signing bonus than they want which, despite what you write, means the Chiefs will NOT have good flexibility to cut him in the later years of the contract.

In 2015, the Chiefs have complete leverage because Hali is an easy target to be cut. And you can negotiate a new contract without the baggage of guaranteed money on the existing contract.

chiefzilla1501 02-23-2014 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 10448218)
Or you can, you know, just turn his base salary into a signing bonus instead of giving him an extension...
Posted via Mobile Device

Why would you do that? It means you're on the hook for $14M in 2015 and you've now pretty much made that money guaranteed. If we let it ride, we pay $11M today but have flexibility to cut him in 2015 or leverage to renegotiate a much more reasonable extension.

-King- 02-23-2014 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 10448230)
Why would you do that? It means you're on the hook for $14M in 2015 and you've now pretty much made that money guaranteed. If we let it ride, we pay $11M today but have flexibility to cut him in 2015 or leverage to renegotiate a much more reasonable extension.

Why?
Posted via Mobile Device

chiefzilla1501 02-23-2014 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 10448248)
Why?
Posted via Mobile Device

If you let his contract ride, he only costs $2.5M in dead money to cut in 2015.

If you turn today's base salary ($6M plus $2M roster bonus) into bonus money, he will cost $6.5M to cut in 2015. You've pretty much guaranteed a bigger 2015 contract.

The only way a restructure makes sense is if you extend the contract. Unless you restructure twice in 2 years, but I don't know if that's ever actually been done.

ShowtimeSBMVP 02-23-2014 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 10448225)

If Hali negotiates today, he has complete leverage. They know Hali is pretty much guaranteed $8.25M this year. They know he's uncuttable. And if they negotiate a contract extension, they will have three motives: 1) maximize his signing bonus, which is critical for the twilight years; 2) make sure the signing bonus fully accounts for the $8.25M that are guaranteed anyway, so it's basically like negotiating in $8.25M PLUS a totally new contract for 2015 to 2018 (or whatever end year); 3) since Hali is coming off a pro bowl year and shown no clear signs of decline, they will negotiate his twilight years with that in mind. The Chiefs will likely end up with a contract that has a much higher signing bonus than they want which, despite what you write, means the Chiefs will NOT have good flexibility to cut him in the later years of the contract.

In 2015, the Chiefs have complete leverage because Hali is an easy target to be cut. And you can negotiate a new contract without the baggage of guaranteed money on the existing contract.

Not true at all. Hali Base Salary is 6.25m he's due a Roster Bonus of 2m not sure when that kick's in. If the Chiefs cut him they save 5.5m vs the cap. Hali doesn't have complete leverage.

chiefzilla1501 02-23-2014 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsandO'sfan (Post 10448270)
Not true at all. Hali Base Salary is 6.25m he's due a Roster Bonus of 2m not sure when that kick's in. If the Chiefs cut him they save 5.5m vs the cap. Hali doesn't have complete leverage.

Unless you think the Chiefs will actually cut Hali, his base salary for this year is pretty much guaranteed, which make his roster bonus pretty much guaranteed. $5.5M is a LOT of dead money for a player as good as Hali still is.

ShowtimeSBMVP 02-23-2014 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 10448287)
Unless you think the Chiefs will actually cut Hali, his base salary for this year is pretty much guaranteed, which make his roster bonus pretty much guaranteed. $5.5M is a LOT of dead money for a player as good as Hali still is.

Don't get me wrong i'm with you. Let Hali play this year out cut him next year. Cut him in 2015 and with the 9m you save give it to Houston.

chiefzilla1501 02-23-2014 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsandO'sfan (Post 10448295)
Don't get me wrong i'm with you. Let Hali play this year out cut him next year. Cut him in 2015 and with the 9m you save give it to Houston.

Well, I'm open to an extension. But I'd prefer for that extension to be built for a 33 year old probably well past his prime at that point.

-King- 02-23-2014 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 10448320)
Well, I'm open to an extension. But I'd prefer for that extension to be built for a 33 year old probably well past his prime at that point.

You're the only one talking about ah extension.
Posted via Mobile Device

chiefzilla1501 02-23-2014 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 10448343)
You're the only one talking about ah extension.
Posted via Mobile Device

Didn't I just point out to you how unreasonable it is to talk about a restructure without an extension?

Mr. Laz 02-23-2014 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mother****erJones (Post 10448024)
I'm expecting an extension for Smith and Berry. Then maybe a restructure of Hali.

I'm hoping we sign a WR, FS or maybe the center Mack from Cleveland. But well see in a couple weeks after the tag deadline what the free agents are.

I think i just saw something out of Cleveland saying that keeping Mack is their #1 priority in FA. I think we just have to cross our fingers and hope that Kush steps up at this point.

penbrook 02-23-2014 03:35 PM

#Mizzou CB E.J. Gaines says he had an informal interview with the #Chiefs last night. Said they talked about playing in the slot.

BigMeatballDave 02-23-2014 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mother****erJones (Post 10448024)
I'm expecting an extension for Smith and Berry. Then maybe a restructure of Hali.

I'm hoping we sign a WR, FS or maybe the center Mack from Cleveland. But well see in a couple weeks after the tag deadline what the free agents are.

Mack?

Hudson is fine. Center is far from a priority.

The Bad Guy 02-23-2014 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 10448835)
Mack?

I don't agree that Hudson is fine. Hudson would be far better suited at guard.

However, I don't think paying someone 60 million is the answer at C.

Kush should be given a shot.

BigMeatballDave 02-23-2014 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 10448848)

Fine, in that it's not a priority like S and WR.

Mr. Laz 02-23-2014 04:10 PM

Quote:

Mack?

Center isn't a priority but Hudson isn't 'fine'

Mother****erJones 02-23-2014 04:12 PM

Quote:

Mack?

No Hudson's not fine. Mack would be a great addition. Give me him over Albert if it came down to it.

BigMeatballDave 02-23-2014 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 10448859)
Center isn't a priority but Hudson isn't 'fine'

Fine enough not to break the bank with Mack.

That would be stupid.

Move him to LG and sit Allen.

Mother****erJones 02-23-2014 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 10448848)

I wouldn't pay that either just saying he'd be a nice addition.

BossChief 02-23-2014 11:15 PM

Fisher
Hudson
Kush
Schwartz
Stephenson

OldSchool 02-23-2014 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 10449740)
Fisher
Hudson
Kush
Schwartz
Stephenson

It may end up being like that.

BossChief 02-23-2014 11:27 PM

That's the way it should be.

I don't think anyone noticed how well Kush did in the finale. He was super quick to get set up or to the second level. I think the kid has a chance to be a good player.

Then, look back at Hudson's rookie year when he played left guard (a position he was an all American at at Florida St.) a few games filling in. He was damn good there.

Seriously

They had a left tackle playing right tackle
A left guard playing center
A swing tackle playing left guard

Just end the bs and line up the way they should line up

Fisher (every scout in the world thought this guy was a special talent at left tackle)
Hudson (Stud left guard in college, experience at center will help him make adjustments with Kush)
Kush (very talented guy. A lot higher ceiling than most think.)
Schwartz (guy solidified the right side of the line when he got in the lineup)
Stephenson (at least an above average starter at right tackle, with potential to be top 5)

chiefzilla1501 02-23-2014 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 10449754)

I don't think anyone noticed how well Kush did in the finale. He was super quick to get set up or to the second level. I think the kid has a chance to be a good player.

Then, look back at Hudson's rookie year when he played left guard (a position he was an all American at at Florida St.) a few games filling in. He was damn good there.

Seriously

Fisher (every scout in the world thought this guy was a special talent at left tackle)
Hudson (Stud left guard in college, experience at center will help him make adjustments with Kush)
Stephenson (at least an above average starter at right tackle, with potential to be top 5)

You'll have to pardon my ignorance. I don't know enough about Hudson. But if Hudson was undersized for Center, isn't that a bigger problem at Guard? The other guy that played well against San Diego was Rokevius Watkins. I think the original reason he was cut was because of work ethic so that's always something.

beach tribe 02-24-2014 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 10448036)
Seattle actually rotates their d-line and secondary and our DC just watches paint dry.

This really has to be it.

The guys were just gassed. There really is no other way to explain how our pass rush fell off the way it did.
Well, that and no adjustments after teams started game planning for what we were doing. Can't overlook the lack of aggression either.

Regardless, our DBs will struggle if we fail to get pressure again. I'm pretty sure keeping them fresh will help tremendously, though.

Rausch 02-24-2014 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 10449754)

Seriously

Hudson needs to stay at C. That's where he best fits in the NFL...

Mr. Laz 02-25-2014 01:25 PM

Source: Cap will be higher than $132 million

Posted by Mike Florio on February 25, 2014, 1:50 PM EST
cash-money-pile-stack-550x556
Reuters
Back when the owners were told that the salary cap would climb from $123 million in 2013 to $126.3 million in 2014, a source with knowledge of the cap calculation said it will be higher.

Now that reports have put the salary cap as high as $132 million for 2014, the same source has said, once again, it will be higher.

Per the source, the cap could be a “few million” higher than $132 million. If this means $3 million more than reported, the cap could be as high as $135 million. That would amount to an 9.75 percent increase over last year, the biggest spike by far since the 2011 labor deal was negotiated.

It’s unknown whether the increase in the cap, which is based on revenues but inevitably is negotiated by the NFL and the NFLPA, will result from efforts to borrow against future cap increases. In past years, the quid pro quo for an increase in the cap has included an agreement by the NFLPA to permit cap penalties to be imposed on the Cowboys and Redskins for treating the uncapped year of 2010 too literally.

A cynic may wonder whether the spike in the cap for 2014 is aimed at helping NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith fend off a 2015 challenge from Sean Gilbert or, possibly, Hall of Famer Derrick Brooks.

Regardless, the cap could be increasing by similar amounts in the future. Per the source, the 2014 bump is expected to become the trend in future years.

BossChief 02-25-2014 01:30 PM

The new tv deals are gonna make the salary cap explode. It could be 150 in 2 years.

The Franchise 02-25-2014 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 10449778)
You'll have to pardon my ignorance. I don't know enough about Hudson. But if Hudson was undersized for Center, isn't that a bigger problem at Guard? The other guy that played well against San Diego was Rokevius Watkins. I think the original reason he was cut was because of work ethic so that's always something.

No. Hudson being undersized at Center is an issue when he goes up against NTs one on one.

Mr. Laz 02-25-2014 02:02 PM

I hope our Oline just competes for all the positions next year.

personally i think Hudson's size is a real issue unless you are pulling your center all the time. In this day and age, i would rather just get a real athletic big guy that is mobile enough to move rather than have to deal with helping your center on every play.

Hudson has a utility interior backup would be the best outcome

probably the same for Allen

The Franchise 02-25-2014 02:11 PM

In a perfect world....

Fisher dominates the competition and wins the LT spot. Hudson slides to LG. Kush shows enough growth to take over the starting center spot. Schwartz is re-signed to play RG. Stephenson excels at RT. Allen moves into the swing tackle position and all we need to do is find a backup OG/C.

Mr. Laz 02-25-2014 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 10452986)
In a perfect world....

Fisher dominates the competition and wins the LT spot. Hudson slides to LG. Kush shows enough growth to take over the starting center spot. Schwartz is re-signed to play RG. Stephenson excels at RT. Allen moves into the swing tackle position and all we need to do is find a backup OG/C.

what about that backup OG that looked so good in the Charger game?

Rinshaw?

I thought Kush and Rinshaw looked really good in that game.

BossChief 02-25-2014 02:23 PM

Rokevious Watkins

BossChief 02-25-2014 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 10452986)
In a perfect world....

This

The Franchise 02-25-2014 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 10453001)
what about that backup OG that looked so good in the Charger game?

Rinshaw?

I thought Kush and Rinshaw looked really good in that game.

Yep....like Boss said....Watkins. Add him to the backup spot and we'd be good. I'm not of the mindset that our offensive line is as ****ed as some people think. We need to get Schwartz signed though.

BossChief 02-25-2014 02:30 PM

I know one thing. They aren't acting like they are gonna just hand the LT job to Fisher.

They have said that they have him penciled in at rt
They didnt even play him in the playoff game

Watch them take Taylor Lewan at 23.

BigMeatballDave 02-25-2014 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 10453024)

Watch them take Taylor Lewan at 23.

It'll be WR. Has to be. Or Safety. Does Reid have a long history of 1st rd OL? I'm too lazy to look.

Nightfyre 02-25-2014 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 10448225)

I would say that your understanding of the situation and who has what leverage here is pretty overstated. An extension for Hali would be mutually beneficial because the signing bonus is prorated to the salary cap over the life of the contract. therfore, the net present value of the deal for Hali is higher due to the stacked signing bonus and his costs are defrayed over a longer time period. Meanwhile, you restructure the deal so the salary obligation is minimized and augment it with roster bonuses and voila - both parties win.

Let's just spell out some specific numbers for everyone's understanding.

Tamba signs an extension - 24 million (19 guaranteed) for an extra 3 years. Let's say with a 15 million signing bonus for simplicity.

For the first two years, his signing bonus hit would be his old signing bonus plus 15 million divided by the five years of his contract.

For the remainder of the contract, it would just be the 15 million divided by the five years of his contract.

Therefore, the signing bonus portion of his cap hit would look like:
6M/6M/3M/3M/3M

His salary for the deal could be restructured (13M+9M):
2/2/6/7/7

Roster bonuses:
0/0/2/2/2

Therefore, his cap cost for each year of the deal:
8/8/11/12/12
or if we cut him in '16:
8/8/9

compared to his current cap figures:
11.5/12

Bottom line:

Saves the Chiefs 3.5M this year and 4M next year. He can be cut in 2016 to provide cap savings of 2M.

Hali gets 16M now, 2M over the course of '14 and 2M in 2015. We probably pay him his 9M in 2016, but can cut him.

instead of: 8.5M over the course of '14 and MAYBE 9M over the course of '15

Win. Win. In fact, I would bet you could optimize this deal further for the Chiefs and Hali would take it. It's his last chance for a big score.

The Franchise 02-25-2014 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 10453033)
It'll be WR. Has to be. Or Safety. Does Reid have a long history of 1st rd OL? I'm too lazy to look.

I don't think it's going to be a safety. They'll either roll with Commings, Abdullah or sign one of the FA safeties available.

chiefzilla1501 02-25-2014 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfyre (Post 10453040)
I would say that your understanding of the situation and who has what leverage here is pretty overstated. An extension for Hali would be mutually beneficial because the signing bonus is prorated to the salary cap over the life of the contract. therfore, the net present value of the deal for Hali is higher due to the stacked signing bonus and his costs are defrayed over a longer time period. Meanwhile, you restructure the deal so the salary obligation is minimized and augment it with roster bonuses and voila - both parties win.

Let's just spell out some specific numbers for everyone's understanding.

Tamba signs an extension - 24 million (19 guaranteed) for an extra 3 years. Let's say with a 15 million signing bonus for simplicity.

For the first two years, his signing bonus hit would be his old signing bonus plus 15 million divided by the five years of his contract.

For the remainder of the contract, it would just be the 15 million divided by the five years of his contract.

Therefore, the signing bonus portion of his cap hit would look like:
6M/6M/3M/3M/3M

His salary for the deal could be restructured (13M+9M):
2/2/6/7/7

Roster bonuses:
0/0/2/2/2

Therefore, his cap cost for each year of the deal:
8/8/11/12/12
or if we cut him in '16:
8/8/9

compared to his current cap figures:
11.5/12

Bottom line:

Saves the Chiefs 3.5M this year and 4M next year. He can be cut in 2016 to provide cap savings of 2M.

Hali gets 16M now, 2M over the course of '14 and 2M in 2015. We probably pay him his 9M in 2016, but can cut him.

instead of: 8.5M over the course of '14 and MAYBE 9M over the course of '15

Win. Win. In fact, I would bet you could optimize this deal further for the Chiefs and Hali would take it. It's his last chance for a big score.

Hali is guarantees 8.25 m this year. Basically.

You are basically asking him to restructure the rest of the deal to a 2-year 10 million dollar contract and a very unguaranteed 2016 as a replacement to his existing one year 11m deal in 2014. There is no way he signs that. Hali will want a deal that makes him tough to cut in his twilight years.

chiefzilla1501 02-25-2014 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 10452944)
No. Hudson being undersized at Center is an issue when he goes up against NTs one on one.

OK, that makes sense. I still worry about his size. We aren't playing zbs anymore and Reid likes 300+ lb mailers.

planetdoc 02-25-2014 03:19 PM

I really wonder if Hudson is "undersized." I dont think nfl.com or the chiefs website accurately reflect his current weight, which i speculate is closer to 310 lbs.

http://media.al.com/mobile-press-reg...67f7bb38ab.jpg

http://media.al.com/mobile-press-reg...d3c39ab83a.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.n...33455633_n.jpg

planetdoc 02-25-2014 03:21 PM

Although I am open to competition, I too believe Hudson should stay at Center. It seems he has done a good job with the line calls.

http://www.kansas.com/2013/12/13/317...ps-chiefs.html

Quote:

“In some of the offenses I’ve been in, the quarterbacks have been in charge of everything,” Schwartz said. “Not this offense. They put a lot on Rodney, and I’ve been very impressed with the way he handles it. We could have one play where the defense shows us four different looks, and he might have four different people he has to call. The way he does things is pretty impressive.”

When it comes to performance, Hudson’s overall Pro Football Focus grade this year is 3.5, which — while positive — is roughly in the middle of the pack among NFL centers. But Hudson has undeniably been Mr. Reliable for the 10-3 Chiefs this year, and it’s important not to underestimate the value of that. As of now, he is the only player on offense or defense to play every snap since the Chiefs’ week two win over Dallas.

“He’s a rock in there,” offensive coordinator Doug Pederson said. “He’s embraced the position. He’s controlling the line of scrimmage. He’s directing the traffic up front. … The center is the nucleus of the offense, that’s where it starts. He’s brought some stability there.”

Chiefs coach Andy Reid agreed, and essentially said Hudson’s steadying presence has helped spur the offense’s growth over the course of the season.

“That’s a huge part of it,” Reid said. “Defenses are way too complex today. They’re going to hold things right until the end, and somehow you have to get it communicated, whether it’s in the black hole or in Arrowhead.

“We’ve loaded him up, and he’s handled the load there.”

Direckshun 02-25-2014 03:37 PM

People need to stop talking about Hudson as if he is undersized.

He is fine, size wise, for a starting center in the NFL.

Mr. Laz 02-25-2014 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 10453091)
OK, that makes sense. I still worry about his size. We aren't playing zbs anymore and Reid likes 300+ lb mailers.

Actually we went back to ZBS in the 2nd half of the season and the Oline looked better after the change.

dunno what we will do next year

Mr. Laz 02-25-2014 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 10453174)
People need to stop talking about Hudson as if he is undersized.

He is fine, size wise, for a starting center in the NFL.

Then he's weak and needs to start eating his spinach.

Direckshun 02-25-2014 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 10453179)
Then he's weak and needs to start eating his spinach.

He's a center.

His job is to make the right calls, and seal off his guy.

Centers are rarely, if ever, maulers.

Mr. Laz 02-25-2014 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 10453188)
He's a center.

I disagree

Centers are not the catchers of the NFL, it matters what they do other than 'call the game'. Having a center that always needs help really hurts in short yardage.

Mother****erJones 02-25-2014 04:41 PM

We need an upgrade at center. Not a "catcher" calling the game. Our interior line sucked.

The Bad Guy 02-25-2014 04:41 PM

Quote:

He's a center.

That last sentence is a load of shit.

Mother****erJones 02-25-2014 04:43 PM

Quote:

He's a center.

Bullshit

Nightfyre 02-25-2014 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 10453089)
Hali is guarantees 8.25 m this year. Basically.

You are basically asking him to restructure the rest of the deal to a 2-year 10 million dollar contract and a very unguaranteed 2016 as a replacement to his existing one year 11m deal in 2014. There is no way he signs that. Hali will want a deal that makes him tough to cut in his twilight years.

NOTE: Assumed discount rate for all NPV calculations is 5%, which is pretty conservative.

Your first statement is simply not true. Contracts in the NFL aren't fully guaranteed. He may have a portion of his salary that is guaranteed, but I doubt it. I would bet his guaranteed years are already behind him.

Your second statement is also simply not true. Hali would have 19 million in guaranteed money in my second scenario of which, he would get 15 upfront. His 2014 and 2015 salaries would also be guaranteed. This deal is based upon the figures Terrell Suggs got from the Ravens. And Hali probably wouldn't command as much as Suggs would in the open market.

Also, if Hali wants a deal that makes him tough to cut in his twilight years, he simply won't get it. He is 30 years old and already has lost a step. It's not just about what he wants, but what he can get. In my contract, he gets a deal with a guaranteed NPV of 18,719, a probable NPV of 25,630 and a possible NPV of 40,086.

That compares favorably to a deal with a NPV (assuming he is retained this year and cut next year) of 8,095 with a possible NPV of which would be that plus the NPV of whatever he could get on the open market after that.

I mean, just crunch the numbers.
In thousands
My contract offer, possible scenarios:
2 years @ NPV of 18,719 + NPV of whatever he can get in the market at age 32 (100% probability of getting this money)
or 3 years @NPV of 25,629 + NPV of whatever he can get in the market at age 33 (80% probability of getting this money)
or 4 years @NPV of 33,033 +NPV of whatever he can get in the market at age 34 (20% probability of getting this money)
or 5 years @NPV of 40,086 + NPV of whatever he can get in the market at age 35 (5% probability of getting this money)

Or his current deal, possible scenarios:
0 years + NPV of whatever he can get in the open market at the age of 30 (5% probability of this scenario)
1 year @ NPV of 8,095 + NPV of whatever he can get in the open market at age 31 (95% probability of getting this money)
2 year @ NPV of 16,258 + NPV of whatever he can get in the open market at age 32 (25% probability of getting this money)

I mean, the deal I propose is categorically better.

Hell, let's compare this to Terrell Suggs deal.

Terrell Suggs deal is structured such that he can be cut in 2016 for 0.2M in cap savings, cut in 2017 for 1.8M in cap savings or cut in 2018 for 4M in cap savings.
Again, in thousands
2 year NPV of his deal: 15,580
3 year NPV of his deal: 19,468 (probably won't be cut.)
4 year NPV of his deal: 22,759 (maybe 50% chance of not being cut?)
5 year NPV of his deal: 25,893 (maybe 25% chance of not being cut?)

Nightfyre 02-25-2014 07:13 PM

Bump for the sake of my edit.

chiefzilla1501 02-25-2014 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfyre (Post 10453483)
NOTE: Assumed discount rate for all NPV calculations is 5%, which is pretty conservative.

Your first statement is simply not true. Contracts in the NFL aren't fully guaranteed. He may have a portion of his salary that is guaranteed, but I doubt it. I would bet his guaranteed years are already behind him.

Hali's contract in 2014 is basically guaranteed. Unless you think the Chiefs would take a $6M cap hit this year to cut him with no backup plan.

I'm going to cut out all the stuff you wrote about NPV because it's long and has no place here. NPV is worthless and overcomplicated. Hali doesn't care about the NPV of his contract. He cares about how much money he is guaranteed, and how much money MIGHT be guaranteed. Period. There's no reason for him to care about the value of his contract in years where he knows he'll be cut anyway.

ShowtimeSBMVP 02-27-2014 06:25 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Source: Cap will be $133 million per team <a href="http://t.co/u2GSiIHKAc">http://t.co/u2GSiIHKAc</a></p>&mdash; ProFootballTalk (@ProFootballTalk) <a href="https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/statuses/439190619911507968">February 28, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The Franchise 02-27-2014 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsandO'sfan (Post 10457680)
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Source: Cap will be $133 million per team <a href="http://t.co/u2GSiIHKAc">http://t.co/u2GSiIHKAc</a></p>&mdash; ProFootballTalk (@ProFootballTalk) <a href="https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/statuses/439190619911507968">February 28, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Any idea on where that puts us? Around $8 million right now?

ShowtimeSBMVP 02-27-2014 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 10457687)
Any idea on where that puts us? Around $8 million right now?

http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Chiefs&Year=2014

They have us at 122m

SDChiefs 02-27-2014 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 10443211)
Then, looking ahead, the Chiefs possibly cut Hali, Flowers, Sean Smith, and Avery in 2015.

That would open up about $25m by itself. That would allow us to extend Houston pretty easily.

That does mean that, as many of my mocks have suggested, that drafting a passrusher like Dee Ford in the 1st and a corner like E.J. Gaines or Pierre Desir might be necessary this year, to protect us from losing that much talent. We could be trotting out two brand new starters at corner.

Thats idiotic.

Direckshun 02-27-2014 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 10453278)
That last sentence is a load of shit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mother****erJones (Post 10453286)
Bullshit

Is it?

IS IT!?!?

Direckshun 02-27-2014 07:41 PM

Gotta admit, $12m is going to make things super interesting. The good news is that we don't have to do any restructuring. And we can still extend Berry and net us another $3-4m.

The main problem is, Alex Smith is going to eat up at least half of that cap room. Then it's going to be a bunch of value signings.

This team will still need to improve through the draft.

The Franchise 02-27-2014 07:57 PM

I wonder if they restructure Colquitt's deal.

Direckshun 02-27-2014 08:06 PM

If I ran the world, I'd restructure Fasano.

$4m/year is highway robbery for what he's giving us.

OldSchool 02-27-2014 08:06 PM

Awesome, it's good that we will get more room to spend.

BigMeatballDave 02-27-2014 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 10457928)
If I ran the world, I'd restructure Fasano.

$4m/year is highway robbery for what he's giving us.

If I ran the world, Fasano's contract would be way down on my list of things to fix.

-King- 02-27-2014 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 10457876)
Gotta admit, $12m is going to make things super interesting. The good news is that we don't have to do any restructuring. And we can still extend Berry and net us another $3-4m.

The main problem is, Alex Smith is going to eat up at least half of that cap room. Then it's going to be a bunch of value signings.

This team will still need to improve through the draft.

Why? He already accounts for 8mil under his current deal. Unless you think he's going to account for $14+ mil this year (which he won't), you're wrong.