ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs MEDIA REACTIONS: Chiefs Early Draft Losers on NFLN (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=283607)

Easy 6 05-11-2014 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10622598)
But I'm guessing they also don't see OL has a glaring need either or they would have done something about it.

On the WR topic, remember back to Philly. It was ALWAYS a yearly discussion topic until TO and later into Reid's tenure. Every year people were talking about the WR situation.

I think Andy Reid and John Dorsey view WRs VERY differently than a lot of people.

Yep, Reid almost never required a bona fide stud at receiver to make his offenses go, he loves to get production from his backs and tight ends every bit as much if not more than receivers.

And even though our receiver group are decidedly unglamorous, they helped us average 35 ppg the last six games as everyone started to find their comfort level in a new offense.

I wanted a new hotshot, but I can understand why Dorsey/Reid maybe didn't put as much priority on it as fans did... this scrap pile of guys actually produced decently.

RealSNR 05-11-2014 06:40 AM

LAWL SOME PEOPLE HAVE OPINIONS ON A FOOTBALL MESSAGE BOARD THAT'S FUNNY Y DONT' THEY BECOME GMS AND HEAD COACHES LAWL OH CHIEFS PLANET.

Worst part about the draft is listening to the dumb****s bash this place. The "board experts" are the reason this forum stays in place and has entertainment value. If it were up to ****faces like Deberg, all anybody would ever say is, "I like da Chiefs. Mmhmm. We'll see how good they can be this year. Maybe they'll make the playoffs."

Easy 6 05-11-2014 06:42 AM

Aw man, that's a mean swipe at DeBerg, he's a nice guy.

RealSNR 05-11-2014 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 10622630)
Aw man, that's a mean swipe at DeBerg, he's a nice guy.

He's a nice guy, but he's also really really boring. And all he ever does is make shitty comments about the "board experts"

If he would get out there and actually write some football opinions in his posts and try to sell them to people, I wouldn't have a problem. But he never does. He's a more level-headed version of frazod.

notorious 05-11-2014 07:12 AM

If draft grades lead to Championships, Cleveland would have been a dynasty by now.

"Experts"? Give me a ****ing break. LMAO

chiefzilla1501 05-11-2014 07:37 AM

This is so ****ing stupid.

Grade a draft by whether you got good players, not by whether you fill in immediate needs. So if this team drafted three starting offensive linemen this would be a great draft?

Mr. Arrowhead 05-11-2014 07:39 AM

if the media is bored then why not go ahead and grade 2011 draft, there is no way no how you can grade a draft immediately after its over

milkman 05-11-2014 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 10622386)
That's the name of the game in the NFL to be honest. ABR. Always Be Replacing. Always

No, that is nt true.

That only applies to the teams that consistently field contenders.

Mediocre teams, and teams that are worse than mediocre, are teams that need to be looking for players to fill needs.

I don't hate this draft and won't complain about the direction, because it does have the potential to pay dividends in the next few years.

However, a mediocre team that has holes almost certainly can find players that fill the holes in their roster that have an equal value to players that don't fill immediate needs.

milkman 05-11-2014 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog Farmer (Post 10622605)
Wrong , our biggest need was addressed with a DE and CB

Wrong on 2 points.

Our biggest need was ignored altogether, and we didn't draft a DE in this scheme.

farmerchief 05-11-2014 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88 (Post 10622321)
The draft is over and Avery or Hemmingway are still the projected starting WR opposite Bowe.

That is a big part of why the Chiefs draft is getting bad reviews.

The team's biggest need and they did nothing to address it.

YEP, you are correct, our dang WR's gave up all those second half points to INDY in the playoff game, dang them!:banghead::hmmm:

Pasta Little Brioni 05-11-2014 07:46 AM

Quote:

The draft is over and Avery or Hemmingway are still the projected starting WR opposite Bowe.

35 PPG the 2nd half of last year. Scored and allowed. Did you ****ers even watch the games?

Sully 05-11-2014 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 10622491)
That's a bullshit answer. He made specific points. Where was he wrong with them?

I think the premise is wrong.
We've had a "draft for need" mindset for so long, it's what we are used to. This regime, for better or worse, is drafting for quality, and btw, actually touched on some areas of need.
What I personally like about it is that strategy gives us more flexibility in both the draft and FA in future years. It also forces other teams to have to worry about us a lot more in the draft, as it's more difficult to bullseye in on who/what we are going to draft.
It may fail, and in this early part of the process it leaves some scary holes, but I'm personally a fan of it.

Pasta Little Brioni 05-11-2014 07:49 AM

Talking Can wins the thread. Mjac still a whiny bitch.

BigMeatballDave 05-11-2014 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 10622681)
Wrong on 2 points.

Our biggest need was ignored altogether, and we didn't draft a DE in this scheme.

I'm assuming you mean safety.

They clearly think that need will be filled with Abdullah/Commings.

Marcellus 05-11-2014 07:53 AM

Seattle got an F on their 2012 draft.

http://thebiglead.com/2014/02/06/mel...-gave-it-an-f/

Kiper gave them an D-

Bleacher Report an F

Prisco gave a D

SI a C

Pasta Little Brioni 05-11-2014 07:54 AM

I thought Abdullah played well for being out of the league that long. Cummings who knows we can't count on anything. Abdullah has a track record of being a pretty good player.

Pasta Little Brioni 05-11-2014 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 10622695)
Seattle got an F on their 2012 draft.

http://thebiglead.com/2014/02/06/mel...-gave-it-an-f/

Kiper gave them an D-

Bleacher Report an F

Prisco gave a D

SI a C

CP baters laughed as well

milkman 05-11-2014 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 10622694)

I know.

I am just not as confident as they appear to be, but they do at least have the benefit of working with these guys, which is the reason I am not complaining about the draft.

jd1020 05-11-2014 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog Farmer (Post 10622605)
Wrong , our biggest need was addressed with a DE and CB

Neither of those were our biggest need. I wouldnt have even put either of those positions in the top 3 of team needs.

BigMeatballDave 05-11-2014 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 10622707)
I know.

I am just not as confident as they appear to be, but they do at least have the benefit of working with these guys, which is the reason I am not complaining about the draft.

I'm still worried about the secondary. So much fail.

At least Lewis and Robinson are gone. It has to get better.

chiefzilla1501 05-11-2014 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 10622694)

I don't think that's true. I think what they're saying is they'll get a Safety when they find one they like. They're not going to overpay in free agency or pass on a guy via the draft they think is BPA because they're going after a need.

Raiderhater 05-11-2014 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 10622600)
anyone who criticizes taking a pass rusher w/ ford's measurables at #23 in the draft is a ****ing idiot...the kind of idiot who thinks matt cassel is a franchise QB

Gaines is nickle CB who projects to a starter, and one of the fastest CBs in the draft who just also managed to record the most pass breakups in college.....but the idiot who thinks matt cassel is a franchise QB is not impressed

tell me about all the day one starters drafted in the 3rd...please be specific, the way you spent years specifically saying matt cassel was a franchise QB

thomas is a wild card? 3rd fastest skill player in the draft who scored 46 tds in college is a wild card in the 4th round? by wild card do you mean matt cassel is a franchise QB?

omg, we still have a couple of positions with questions!!

like every other ****ing other team in the nfl not named seattle..thank ****ing christ we didn't spend another high pick on OL just to satisfy idiots like you...the kind of idiot who thinks matt cassel is a franchise QB

we drafted a pass rusher over OL...and you're complaining about it...which is what should be expected from the guy spent 1000 days giving Pioli a rim job

no mention of the absolute steal of the draft value we got in the 5th...but then you thought matt cassel was a franchise QB, so of course you are too ****ing stupid to even recognize it

:clap:

htismaqe 05-11-2014 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 10622714)
Neither of those were our biggest need. I wouldnt have even put either of those positions in the top 3 of team needs.

Having somebody, ANYBODY that could rush the passer behind Houston and Hali, was a must. Hali has chronic foot issues, he's gonna miss some time.

And I would argue that outside of FS, CB was the biggest need on the team. You only have to watch all the 3-step drops the last half of the season to see it.

jd1020 05-11-2014 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10622769)
Having somebody, ANYBODY that could rush the passer behind Houston and Hali, was a must. Hali has chronic foot issues, he's gonna miss some time.

And I would argue that outside of FS, CB was the biggest need on the team. You only have to watch all the 3-step drops the last half of the season to see it.

ILB, S, WR, and OL all day over CB.

We have nothing next to DJ, still question marks at FS, our WR set is embarrassing, and we have practice squad players at G. Yet we have Flowers, Smith, and Cooper as our top 3 CBs.

KCDC 05-11-2014 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10622365)
Well, we have to re-sign Houston, Berry, and Smith.

The more I think about it, Scott Pioli really left this team in a ****ing mess.

I'm glad Pioli is gone; but he left this team with a ton of cap room. Dorsey cut a huge number of players and then signed Bowe and Colquitt to HUGE contracts, franchised Albert, paid a huge number for a backup QB that never had meaningful NFL playing time, and signed a rag tag group of free agents to use the rest.

My point is that Pioli ruined us with his drafting (except for J. Houston), not with the cap space.

htismaqe 05-11-2014 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 10622770)

We have nothing next to DJ, still question marks at FS, our WR set is embarrassing, and we have practice squad players at G. Yet we have Flowers, Smith, and Cooper as our top 3 CBs.

Our embarrassing WR set manage 35ppg over the last 6 or so games with everybody's favorite whipping boy "game manager" at QB.

Our CBs got repeatedly toasted in the short passing game over and over and over during the same span.

Our CBs are easily the most overrated unit on the team.

OnTheWarpath15 05-11-2014 08:56 AM

Funny how people say draft grades don't matter, yet if all of these media outlets were giving us A's and claiming we were draft winners, y'all would be crowing about it.

There's nothing wrong with grading the draft this early - hell, we're all doing it too. Process team needs, the player taken, where he was taken and generate an opinion. It appears that most of you guys would give us an A to A-.

Pretty much everything I've seen gives the Chiefs anywhere from a B to a C-. A lot of that variance is based on the fact we didn't fill many needs, and that many of the players we picked have had serious medical question marks. You can't blame people for being concerned.

There's certainly some talent in this KC draft class, but there's a helluva lot of question marks as well. Hope they stay healthy so we can see some of that talent.

jd1020 05-11-2014 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10622778)
Our embarrassing WR set manage 35ppg over the last 6 or so games with everybody's favorite whipping boy "game manager" at QB.

All thanks to our WRs.

Jamaal Charles scored more TDs than Bowe, Avery, and McCluster combined over the last 6 games... by a ****ing huge margin.

Pasta Little Brioni 05-11-2014 08:59 AM

Quote:

Our CBs got repeatedly toasted in the short passing game over and over and over during the same span.

It's like they don't even watch the games. They like a Madden team building approach here at CP. If they aren't all 99 overalls they suck!

htismaqe 05-11-2014 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 10622788)
All thanks to our WRs.

Jamaal Charles scored more TDs than Bowe, Avery, and McCluster combined over the last 6 games.

That just goes to show you how much value the position of WR has in this offense, regardless of who is playing it.

jd1020 05-11-2014 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10622791)
That just goes to show you how much value the position of WR has in this offense, regardless of who is playing it.

Lets just not line any up and just go with 4 TEs and Charles.

OnTheWarpath15 05-11-2014 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 10622788)
All thanks to our WRs.

Jamaal Charles scored more TDs than Bowe, Avery, and McCluster combined over the last 6 games... by a ****ing huge margin.

I'm not going to take time to do the math, but I'd bet he was close to outgaining them in receiving yardage over than span as well.

IIRC, we didn't have a single 100-yard game out of a WR those last 6 games, might have had a 90 yard effort, but for the most part I don't recall one of our WR's coming up with more than 60 yards in a given game.

htismaqe 05-11-2014 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 10622794)
Lets just not line any up and just go with 4 TEs and Charles.

Obviously not at all what I was suggesting.

htismaqe 05-11-2014 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 10622799)
I'm not going to take time to do the math, but I'd bet he was close to outgaining them in receiving yardage over than span as well.

IIRC, we didn't have a single 100-yard game out of a WR those last 6 games, might have had a 90 yard effort, but for the most part I don't recall one of our WR's coming up with more than 60 yards in a given game.

And yet the offense was better in 2 or 3 of those games individually than they were in the first SIX GAMES COMBINED.

chiefzilla1501 05-11-2014 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 10622785)
Funny how people say draft grades don't matter, yet if all of these media outlets were giving us A's and claiming we were draft winners, y'all would be crowing about it.

There's nothing wrong with grading the draft this early - hell, we're all doing it too. Process team needs, the player taken, where he was taken and generate an opinion. It appears that most of you guys would give us an A to A-.

Pretty much everything I've seen gives the Chiefs anywhere from a B to a C-. A lot of that variance is based on the fact we didn't fill many needs, and that many of the players we picked have had serious medical question marks. You can't blame people for being concerned.

There's certainly some talent in this KC draft class, but there's a helluva lot of question marks as well. Hope they stay healthy so we can see some of that talent.

That would be right, if true. I'd give the draft a B+ because of medical concerns and because I don't 100% agree with Dorsey's board.

But that's not what people are grading on. The big critique is that we didn't draft for need. And that is a ludicrous argument. Drafting for BPA is a smart strategy, not one people should criticize. Now if people want to argue we didn't always take the BPA... that's fair. But that's not what people are saying. The critics would have been perfectly happy with a wide receiver or safety, even if that player had an average ceiling or wasn't BPA.

TEX 05-11-2014 09:05 AM

Whatever. I remember when the Chiefs drafted Dorsey and Albert and were declared the Draft Super Bowl Winners by everyone on the planet. Both players are now gone and it could be argued that neither lived up to expectations, edpecially Dorsey. Too early to tell anything.

The summery was right about KC being FA losers though...

OnTheWarpath15 05-11-2014 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10622802)
And yet the offense was better in 2 or 3 of those games individually than they were in the first SIX GAMES COMBINED.

Certainly was better from an output standpoint, but you're navigating in dangerous waters when your offense depends solely on one player.

milkman 05-11-2014 09:09 AM

Quote:

Our CBs, other than Flowers, lack versatility, and that bit us in the ass after teams began to exploit Kendrick Lewis.

When these guys were able to line up and play press man coverage, they were pretty damn good.

When they began to back off and give a cushion, they were abused.

Cooper is young and still learning, so he gets a pass, but Sean Smith is a liability as long as we don't have an answer at FS.

We better damn well have the answer in Abdullah or Commings, otherwise this secondary is still going to be abused.

htismaqe 05-11-2014 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 10622805)
Certainly was better from an output standpoint, but you're navigating in dangerous waters when your offense depends solely on one player.

Totally agree.

The problem is that drafting a WR, even a potential stud like Cooks, wouldn't have solved that problem.

Here's the bottom line for me. The Chiefs failed in free agency, not the draft. What they needed was somebody that could come in right away, start immediately, and catch 50-60 passes. That guy was Emmanuel Sanders and he is in Denver.

htismaqe 05-11-2014 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 10622811)
Our CBs, other than Flowers, lack versatility, and that bit us in the ass after teams began to exploit Kendrick Lewis.

When these guys were able to line up and play press man coverage, they were pretty damn good.

When they began to back off and give a cushion, they were abused.

Cooper is young and still learning, so he gets a pass, but Sean Smith is a liability as long as we don't have an answer at FS.

We better damn well have the answer in Abdullah or Commings, otherwise this secondary is still going to be abused.

Our guys got pushed off their position by the rub too much. They struggled even when in press coverage against Denver.

We have to get more physical at the line and we need more speed. Gaines definitely addresses the latter.

I totally agree with you about the need at FS. I just didn't see a clear-cut answer in the draft the way you did.

My answer would have been to bring in Clemons - he's more of a pure, speedy FS than any of the guys that were available in the draft. So once again, I see free agency as the big failure here.

chiefzilla1501 05-11-2014 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10622812)
Totally agree.

The problem is that drafting a WR, even a potential stud like Cooks, wouldn't have solved that problem.

Here's the bottom line for me. The Chiefs failed in free agency, not the draft. What they needed was somebody that could come in right away, start immediately, and catch 50-60 passes. That guy was Emmanuel Sanders and he is in Denver.

Would you agree though that this draft may have bought us an extended window? If you believe that, then this free agency wasn't a failure because this year isn't a desperate "win now" season and I would argue set a much better long-term situation.

Last offseason, in my opinion, was an overrated failure.

milkman 05-11-2014 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10622817)
Our guys got pushed off their position by the rub too much. They struggled even when in press coverage against Denver.

We have to get more physical at the line and we need more speed. Gaines definitely addresses the latter.

I totally agree with you about the need at FS. I just didn't see a clear-cut answer in the draft the way you did.

My answer would have been to bring in Clemons - he's more of a pure, speedy FS than any of the guys that were available in the draft. So once again, I see free agency as the big failure here.

I think that's a failure of scheme, but a scheme that was dictated by talent.

Need to press the receivers against a Manning offense, but in a zone package.

The problem, however, is that Sean Smith sucks in zone, and Cooper has to learn, and there was no way to incorporate him in the defense and try to teach him both man and zone.

Playing man exclusively against that offense is a recipe for failure.

htismaqe 05-11-2014 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 10622822)
Would you agree though that this draft may have bought us an extended window? If you believe that, then this free agency wasn't a failure because this year isn't a desperate "win now" season and I would argue set a much better long-term situation.

Last offseason, in my opinion, was an overrated failure.

I guess the way I look at it, either last year was a failure or this one was. You can't do two completely different things and expect them to both be the "right" way.

I'm just not interested in worrying about it anymore. I don't care enough to continue to complain about it.

If I HAD to choose, I would have preferred they were active in free agency THIS year. Even if they had skipped free agency last year and not signed Smith or Robinson or any of those guys, they still would have traded for Alex Smith. I think the Smith deal was done the minute Reid inked his contract. I don't think they ever considered any other approach.

Therefore, I would have preferred that they treated the whole process with the idea that they need to win now, THIS YEAR, and approached free agency this year accordingly.

EDIT: That being said, they didn't approach free agency that way. They decided to basically pass. With that in mind, this draft, to me, makes perfect sense. They got guys that have some value now but potentially big value later. I think they're looking at this team as competitive now but not contending until later.

CallMeSquidwad 05-11-2014 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragged Robin (Post 10622284)

LOLLLLL Good jesus man you people are such ****ING douche bags, go back and check what they gave Seattle's draft grade 2 years ago...."draft experts" literally laughed at them for taking Bobby Wagner....turned out ok...

htismaqe 05-11-2014 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 10622830)
I think that's a failure of scheme, but a scheme that was dictated by talent.

Need to press the receivers against a Manning offense, but in a zone package.

The problem, however, is that Sean Smith sucks in zone, and Cooper has to learn, and there was no way to incorporate him in the defense and try to teach him both man and zone.

Playing man exclusively against that offense is a recipe for failure.

Gaines can play zone and he's fast as shit. He needs to get more physical but he's exactly the type of guy this backfield needed.

Coochie liquor 05-11-2014 09:39 AM

Quote:

Not sure what games you were watching last season but WR is FAR from our biggest need. Don't see a wr getting pressure in an opposing qb, or a wr playing in the secondary, don't see a wr playing well on the offensive line. Plus there's still free agent wry hat we can pick up now that the draft is over.

milkman 05-11-2014 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10622849)
Gaines can play zone and he's fast as shit. He needs to get more physical but he's exactly the type of guy this backfield needed.

I get that.

But I am concerned about his tackling.
Hopefully he can be coached up to be a solid tackler, because you can not consistently defend the short passes.
You have to eliminate YAC.

Pass rush is ineffective, regardless of how many rushers you have on the field, if your secondary can not tackle, and QBs can consistently get rid of the ball in fewer than 3 seconds.

TEX 05-11-2014 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10622845)
I guess the way I look at it, either last year was a failure or this one was. You can't do two completely different things and expect them to both be the "right" way.

I'm just not interested in worrying about it anymore. I don't care enough to continue to complain about it.

If I HAD to choose, I would have preferred they were active in free agency THIS year. Even if they had skipped free agency last year and not signed Smith or Robinson or any of those guys, they still would have traded for Alex Smith. I think the Smith deal was done the minute Reid inked his contract. I don't think they ever considered any other approach.

Therefore, I would have preferred that they treated the whole process with the idea that they need to win now, THIS YEAR, and approached free agency this year accordingly.

:clap: Well said! You cant have it both ways. If so, then one way is fail (No 2nd round pick this year) if you have 1 long term goal. However, if you have separate goals for each year, (Filling the seats last year) you experience some success and leave fans wondering WTF when you dont build on said success. Bottom line, there were 2 plans, which is fail. Chiefzilla refuses to see that.

Pasta Little Brioni 05-11-2014 09:45 AM

Points are points...and they put up 44 without that best player.

OnTheWarpath15 05-11-2014 09:49 AM

Let's trade JC - we apparently don't need him. We scored 44 points without him once.

milkman 05-11-2014 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 10622884)
Let's trade JC - we apparently don't need him. We scored 44 points without him once.

4th round pick sound about right?

Cannibal 05-11-2014 09:50 AM

The Chiefs needed pash rush and a corner, arguably more than they needed a WR.

See the end of year collapse and playoff loss last year if you have any questions about that.

OnTheWarpath15 05-11-2014 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 10622887)

We can just let him walk in 2016 and get the comp pick. /CP

htismaqe 05-11-2014 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 10622861)
I get that.

But I am concerned about his tackling.
Hopefully he can be coached up to be a solid tackler, because you can not consistently defend the short passes.
You have to eliminate YAC.

Pass rush is ineffective, regardless of how many rushers you have on the field, if your secondary can not tackle, and QBs can consistently get rid of the ball in fewer than 3 seconds.

We absolutely agree on what we need. We only disagree on how much Gaines gain can potentially help that. Here's to hoping I'm right and you're wrong. ;)

Pasta Little Brioni 05-11-2014 09:53 AM

Yeah let's blow things out of proportion. People acted like we wouldn't score a point if he went down or draft the 20th rated slapdick receiver.

R8RFAN 05-11-2014 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 10622887)

His tires will probably be bald after next year, he is used quite alot

OnTheWarpath15 05-11-2014 09:53 AM

It's going to be interesting to see all these folks that claim WR wasn't a need turn a 180* during the season and make excuses that Alex Smith has no weapons.

We're likely not playing a .390 schedule and a bunch of bottom third defenses this year.

htismaqe 05-11-2014 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 10622896)
It's going to be interesting to see all these folks that claim WR wasn't a need turn a 180* during the season and make excuses that Alex Smith has no weapons.

We're likely not playing a .390 schedule and a bunch of bottom third defenses this year.

For my part, I'm not suggesting WR wasn't a need.

I'm suggesting that, with the way this offense is structured and the guy we have playing QB, it probably really isn't going to matter.

I don't think one rookie WR was ever going to be the difference between a winning season and a losing one.

And I'm sure you know that you won't EVER see me making excuses for Alex Smith. Even though I've done an about face on him, you still see me fighting against the excuses not for them.

OnTheWarpath15 05-11-2014 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 10622894)
Yeah let's blow things out of proportion. People acted like we wouldn't score a point if he went down or draft the 20th rated slapdick receiver.

Sure, your post was completely valid, while mine was blown out of proportion.

It was posted to show how ridiculous some of you look when you claim that we didn't need WR help. One game against a below average defense and getting numerous short fields (thanks, defense - even though everyone blames you exclusively) isn't a predictor of future success.

Take off the Chiefs-colored glasses for a split second and tell me if you think this offense is going to be successful this season, and in the future when we're consistently getting <60 yards a game from our WR's.

The offense is JC or bust.

hometeam 05-11-2014 10:00 AM

who.cares.

milkman 05-11-2014 10:01 AM

I have accepted the fact that this a team that is rebuilding.

They went about in a really backassward kind of way, though.

First thing they did was go out and pay a high price for a sturdy, reliable door to replace the broken one that invited intruders in.

Then they went about tearing up the foundation while hoping the walls don't collapse around that door and break it.

OnTheWarpath15 05-11-2014 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10622902)

I'm suggesting that, with the way this offense is structured and the guy we have playing QB, it probably really isn't going to matter.

I don't think one rookie WR was ever going to be the difference between a winning season and a losing one.

And I'm sure you know that you won't EVER see me making excuses for Alex Smith. Even though I've done an about face on him, you still see me fighting against the excuses not for them.

Yeah, I wasn't directing my comments towards you, Parker. You're anti-excuse like me. We're on the same page - though I'm thinking further down the road than just this season. I don't think anyone we drafted is going to be the difference between a winning season and a losing season.

OnTheWarpath15 05-11-2014 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 10622914)

First thing they did was go out and pay a high that the price for a sturdy, reliable door to replace the broken one that invited intruders in.

Then they went about tearing up the foundation while hoping walls don't collapse around that door and break it.

Well said.

Cannibal 05-11-2014 10:03 AM

Hali and Houston, while good players are not as great as they're made out to be on this board. They're decent pass rushers, but really they're not that fast and they need lock down coverage to be able to get to the QB. The Ford pick was an attempt to get a speed rusher that can get to the QB very quickly in order to try and help the cover guys on the back end.

jd1020 05-11-2014 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 10622914)

First thing they did was go out and pay a high price for a sturdy, reliable door to replace the broken one that invited intruders in.

Then they went about tearing up the foundation while hoping the walls don't collapse around that door and break it.

This is where I differ.

I don't think this team is rebuilding. They've just been building the longest outhouse in recorded history.

mcaj22 05-11-2014 10:06 AM

Yea but you guys act like you never watched Andy Reid in his 10 years in Philly. Dude has never made WR a need really, and made chicken salad at out of chicken shit for 10 years until he hit on Jackson/Maclin. I think the Jackson/Maclin WR he wanted was gone at 23 so he said **** it.

The bigger question is why they didn't address the safety position which could actually be the sole reason we lose the games we do in 2014.

htismaqe 05-11-2014 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 10622928)
Yea but you guys act like you never watched Andy Reid in his 10 years in Philly. Dude has never made WR a need really, and made chicken salad at out of chicken shit for 10 years until he hit on Jackson/Maclin. I think the Jackson/Maclin WR he wanted was gone at 23 so he said **** it.

The bigger question is why they didn't address the safety position which could actually be the sole reason we lose the games we do in 2014.

Yep, been saying pretty much this same thing for the last 2 days.

And IIRC, Maclin (if not both he and Jackson) was taken after Reid lost some of his personnel control.

WR problems were a YEARLY concern for almost Reid's entire tenure in Philly.

OnTheWarpath15 05-11-2014 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10622938)
Yep, been saying pretty much this same thing for the last 2 days.

And IIRC, Maclin (if not both he and Jackson) was taken after Reid lost some of his personnel control.

WR problems were a YEARLY concern for almost Reid's entire tenure in Philly.

Which is frustrating, because the one time he DID make WR a need and traded for Owens, they only went to the Super Bowl.

Instead, he continues to believe that the offense revolves around the RB in a downfield passing league.

chiefzilla1501 05-11-2014 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10622845)

EDIT: That being said, they didn't approach free agency that way. They decided to basically pass. With that in mind, this draft, to me, makes perfect sense. They got guys that have some value now but potentially big value later. I think they're looking at this team as competitive now but not contending until later.

I agree with most of this. I don't like what they did last year. I'm much happier with what we are doing this year.

htismaqe 05-11-2014 10:16 AM

Not to change the subject but the more I think about Dee Ford, the more I think they're going to have a hard time keeping him OFF the field.

IF he's healthy (and yes, that's a concern), he could be extremely disruptive. He's a better pure pass rusher, athletically, than Hali ever was in college.

milkman 05-11-2014 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10622959)
Not to change the subject but the more I think about Dee Ford, the more I think they're going to have a hard time keeping him OFF the field.

IF he's healthy (and yes, that's a concern), he could be extremely disruptive. He's a better pure pass rusher, athletically, than Hali ever was in college.

Hali was never a pure pass rusher.

He is what he is from sheer desire, effort and hard work.

Dee Ford can really learn a lot from him.

Sully 05-11-2014 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 10622770)

Are we giving up on the kid from Alabama, already?

keg in kc 05-11-2014 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10622902)

I don't think that point can be emphasized enough. Alex Smith doesn't throw to receivers unless they clear about 5 yards from coverage. He just doesn't. And the scheme is designed around creating space inside the short and intermediate zones. Thomas will probably have as great or greater an impact on the offense as any of the receivers would have for those reasons alone. In this scheme with this quarterback probably the best thing that can happen is Kelce getting and staying healthy and catching 50 or 60 balls down the seam Brent Celek style. This is like the Al Saunders days, where receivers are decoys and blockers first, pulling coverage away from the middle of the field, the offense runs through the tailback and the primary idea is creating mismatches through formation and motion.

I wanted/expected a receiver as much as anyone but the reality is it wouldn't have turned this offense or the guy behind center into anything other than what they are, and it may not have given us any more from the receiver position than what we'll get with who we already have. At least not after Cooks was gone.

jd1020 05-11-2014 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sully (Post 10622963)
Are we giving up on the kid from Alabama, already?

When you have to refer to him as the kid from Alabama in his second year... yup. Career backup.

Bowser 05-11-2014 10:22 AM

I know nothing of the kid we got in the third other than what I've read on here. Great size and numbers, but man was I pulling for us to grab Donte Moncrief there. Perfect over the top guy to open up the intermediate routes.

Oh well. Maybe Hemmingway and Jenkins can take about four or five strides forward this year.

milkman 05-11-2014 10:24 AM

I sure hope Demetrios Harris becomes the next big thing.

htismaqe 05-11-2014 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 10622962)
Hali was never a pure pass rusher.

He is what he is from sheer desire, effort and hard work.

Dee Ford can really learn a lot from him.

That's exactly what I mean. Hali willed himself to where he is.

If even a fraction of that rubs off on Ford, and Ford can stay healthy, Ford could be a special OLB.

htismaqe 05-11-2014 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 10622967)
I don't think that point can be emphasized enough. Alex Smith doesn't throw to receivers unless they clear about 5 yards from coverage. He just doesn't. And the scheme is designed around creating space inside the short and intermediate zones. Thomas will probably have as great or greater an impact on the offense as any of the receivers would have for those reasons alone. In this scheme with this quarterback probably the best thing that can happen is Kelce getting and staying healthy and catching 50 or 60 balls down the seam Brent Celek style. This is like the Al Saunders days, where receivers are decoys and blockers first, pulling coverage away from the middle of the field, the offense runs through the tailback and the primary idea is creating mismatches through formation and motion.

I wanted/expected a receiver as much as anyone but the reality is it wouldn't have turned this offense or the guy behind center into anything other than what they are, and it may not have given us any more from the receiver position than what we'll get with who we already have. At least not after Cooks was gone.

Great post.

htismaqe 05-11-2014 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 10622972)
I know nothing of the kid we got in the third other than what I've read on here. Great size and numbers, but man was I pulling for us to grab Donte Moncrief there. Perfect over the top guy to open up the intermediate routes.

Oh well. Maybe Hemmingway and Jenkins can take about four or five strides forward this year.

For all the hype about Moncrief, he is the epitome of "developmental" prospect.

He's got great measurables and elite potential but he's just raw. He also has concentration issues and doesn't follow the ball all the time - let's passes get in on his body too much.

Considering how much people here bitch about our current crop of WRs, Moncrief would have driven some people batty.

Discuss Thrower 05-11-2014 10:31 AM

The only thing I have a problem with is not getting a tight end. That was a much bigger need than WR.