ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Coffee, yes or no? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=284556)

BucEyedPea 06-23-2014 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 10710317)
Any of you buy the drinks for the person behind you at Starbucks?

No, do people do that?

blaise 06-23-2014 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 10710342)
No, do people do that?

Yes. I've gotten coffee that way and also done it.

tooge 06-23-2014 01:56 PM

I love coffee. Hot
started drinking it in college to stay awake and study
Drink it black
I generally just stop at QT and get the medium roast, whatever that is.
My uncle sends me some beans from Panama twice a year. I grind those and they rock.
I only drink coffee on weekends because the caffeine makes me jittery which isn't good for my job.

DMAC 06-23-2014 01:57 PM

I like it, but for some reason it gives me butterflies. So, I don't drink it or anything else with caffeine.

DaKCMan AP 06-23-2014 01:59 PM

Loose-leaf tea. Awesome.

BucEyedPea 06-23-2014 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 10710351)
Yes. I've gotten coffee that way and also done it.

Oh, that's sweet.

BucEyedPea 06-23-2014 02:14 PM

I forgot to say I like my coffee hot---never cold. Don't care for ice coffee.

I grind my own beans unless I pick up a Starbucks bag right in a Starbucks--where I have them grind it for me. I have a Krups fast touch grinder. Only use coffee in it.

I like hot tea too-- either hot or cold. Most often down here, I drink it cold. My favorite for hot is Darjeeling--nice and aromatic without being too strong. I also have green tea but don't care for the taste.

BucEyedPea 06-23-2014 02:15 PM

I have to have coffee to feel alert enough to work or do anything. I also drink some if I feel a headache coming on. It does the trick--unless it's one of my migraines. Then I need drugs.

siberian khatru 06-23-2014 02:20 PM

I take my coffee black, like my men

SAUTO 06-23-2014 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Third Eye (Post 10709990)
I'm 37 and I've never had so much as a sip of coffee. Love the smell though.

I'm 37 and just started really drinking it.

Its fun to try all the diffent kinds
Posted via Mobile Device

Why Not? 06-23-2014 02:49 PM

Quote:

That's really funny. In 37 years I'd never heard of that and since Friday this is the 3rd reference to that I've heard/seen. Excited to do it next time

srvy 06-23-2014 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 10710355)
I love coffee. Hot
started drinking it in college to stay awake and study
Drink it black
I generally just stop at QT and get the medium roast, whatever that is.
My uncle sends me some beans from Panama twice a year. I grind those and they rock.
I only drink coffee on weekends because the caffeine makes me jittery which isn't good for my job.

QT coffee is surprisingly good. I get it all the time when my stanley thermos runs dry.

Fire Me Boy! 06-23-2014 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 10710499)
QT coffee is surprisingly good. I get it all the time when my stanley thermos runs dry.

I completely understood this post.

srvy 06-23-2014 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 10710394)
I have to have coffee to feel alert enough to work or do anything. I also drink some if I feel a headache coming on. It does the trick--unless it's one of my migraines. Then I need drugs.

The headaches that get better is caffeine withdrawal symptoms.

BucEyedPea 06-23-2014 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 10710507)
The headaches that get better is caffeine withdrawal symptoms.

I don't think they are in this case, since they come when I haven't tried to withdraw from caffeine. Caffeine is also in Excedrin, the only medication that works for headaches on me. So instead of just going to a drug first, I just drink a little coffee and it works a lot. Sometimes, I am dehydrated and a glass of water helps--particularly in Florida summers.

srvy 06-23-2014 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fried Meat Ball! (Post 10710502)
I completely understood this post.

Maybe im drunk?

Actually my mind is ahead of my ability to type or spell. I post like I was conversing with you. Long winded and never let you get a word in edgewise.

Predarat 06-23-2014 03:04 PM

I'm not a fan of flavored coffee but that Quick Trip French Vanilla Cappuccino is pretty damn good. Or it used to be.

eDave 06-23-2014 03:07 PM

I loves me some coffee. Black.

Working from home, I don't drink any. When I do go into the client site, I drink that shit all day. Non stop.

srvy 06-23-2014 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 10710391)
I forgot to say I like my coffee hot---never cold. Don't care for ice coffee.

I grind my own beans unless I pick up a Starbucks bag right in a Starbucks--where I have them grind it for me. I have a Krups fast touch grinder. Only use coffee in it.

I like hot tea too-- either hot or cold. Most often down here, I drink it cold. My favorite for hot is Darjeeling--nice and aromatic without being too strong. I also have green tea but don't care for the taste.

Where I work we have coffee snobs. The Engineers here are a treat to watch with there presses. They bring in there own beans ground in Tupperware and enjoy a cup in the break room.

Ive learned a lot from them like never ever filter your coffee thru paper filters. The perfect temperature is 200* even.

These guys buy there coffee beans green and roast themselves. They spend 500 bucks on bur grinders and roasting ovens. Then extract the fruit of the bean through a 30 buck french press.

srvy 06-23-2014 03:15 PM

What do you all think about The Roasterie brand coffee?

http://www.theroasterie.com/

I bought pound of the 40 Sardines blend and thought was pretty good.

Fire Me Boy! 06-23-2014 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 10710513)
Maybe im drunk?

Actually my mind is ahead of my ability to type or spell. I post like I was conversing with you. Long winded and never let you get a word in edgewise.

The problem most of the time is typos and lack of punctuation. Sometimes makes your intended meaning difficult to decipher.

But you seem like a good dood, so if I have to read them four times to figure it out, that's what I'm gonna do.

GloryDayz 06-23-2014 03:17 PM

Yes.
Both hot and cold.
Hourglass and medium strength.
Cream and sweetener.
Most days, and a pot.
Starbucks coffee too strong for my liking.
McDonald's LOL, like their burgers.
Dunkin is great at 2:00am.
I was in the Navy, "very early in life".
Yes, yes I do. From Baileys to rum...
Only on days with "day" in them!!!
Decaf... No, no way.. Like non-alcoholic beer..

BucEyedPea 06-23-2014 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 10710539)
Where I work we have coffee snobs. The Engineers here are a treat to watch with there presses. They bring in there own beans ground in Tupperware and enjoy a cup in the break room.

Ive learned a lot from them like never ever filter your coffee thru paper filters. The perfect temperature is 200* even.

These guys buy there coffee beans green and roast themselves. They spend 500 bucks on bur grinders and roasting ovens. Then extract the fruit of the bean through a 30 buck french press.

Geezaz! I travel with some connoisseurs but not like that.

So, lemme ask, if they don't use paper filters (including the unbleached) what do they use? How do they know if their temp is 200 degrees.

I would never roast green beans. Too much work. I would like to try a French Press though. I hear they make a really good tasting coffee.

SAUTO 06-23-2014 03:19 PM

I never add liquor to coffee, just doesn't seem right.
Posted via Mobile Device

T-Town 06-23-2014 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fried Meat Ball! (Post 10709969)

Do you like it?
Love it
Hot or cold?
Hot
What brands and strengths do you like?
Strong. Winan's Highlander Grog is my favorite
Do you take cream or sugar?
Black
Are you a cup a day coffee kind of person or a pot a day kind of person?
More a cup+ a day. Can't drink a whole pot anymore
How do you feel about Starbuck's?
Overpriced
Have you tried McDonald's premium coffees, which I hear are notably better than Starbuck's?
Eh, its ok.
What about Dunkin' Donuts' coffee?
Pretty good
When did you start drinking coffee?
Do you ever add any adult beverages to your coffee?
Sometimes Bailey's and/or Jameson on the weekends.
Do you only drink it on weekends?
Usually more through the week
How do you feel about decaffeinated coffee?
****ing useless

Fire Me Boy! 06-23-2014 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 10710551)

So, lemme ask, if you don't use paper filters (including the unbleached) what do they use? How to they know if their temp is 200 degrees.

I would never roast green beans. Too much work. I would like to try a French Press though. I hear they make a really good tasting coffee.

I've got a couple friends that roast their own. They've become quite adept at it, started by using a specific style of hot air popcorn poppers.

BucEyedPea 06-23-2014 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 10710549)
Yes.
Both hot and cold.
Hourglass and medium strength.
Cream and sweetener.
Most days, and a pot.
Starbucks coffee too strong for my liking.
McDonald's LOL, like their burgers.
Dunkin is great at 2:00am.
I was in the Navy, "very early in life".
Yes, yes I do. From Baileys to rum...
Only on days with "day" in them!!!
Decaf... No, no way.. Like non-alcoholic beer..

Ymmm, Bailey's Irish Cream in coffee. Or are you referring to another Bailey's?

BucEyedPea 06-23-2014 03:23 PM

Oh I started drinking it at age 13 or 14.

Drink it daily. A cup or two in the mornings 95% of the time only.

Have not tried MD's premiums. I do like Starbucks but not every blend of theirs.

BucEyedPea 06-23-2014 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 10710552)
I never add liquor to coffee, just doesn't seem right.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yumm, Grand Marnier.:thumb:

BeeHo 06-23-2014 03:24 PM

Quote:

some guy did for that me a year ago. rather nice

Baby Lee 06-23-2014 03:26 PM

Do you like it?

Very Much

Hot or cold?

Generally hot, not averse to a fru-fru candy ice coffee drink every once in a while, likewise coffee ice cream [Haagen Daaz 5] is my favorite flavor

Starbucks and Trader Joe's, also Taste of the Hill, which is coffee roasted at restaurants on St. Louis' Hill, a revered Italian neighborhood with lots of local restaurants.

Prefer the bolder or darker roasts, just feels more robust. Usually a Sumatra of some stripe, though I'm always on the lookout for a good Peaberry. No flavored coffees generally, though TJ's Wintry Blend [which has ground up black and red pepper, clove and cinnamon mixed into coffee grounds] is an exception of sorts.

Not usually, but not averse, if there's 1/2&1/2 around, I'll often indulge.

Pot a Day, insulated carafe is a blessing.

Too expensive in store, always on a lookout for sales or clearances for their beans/grinds, though. Will enjoy a cup bought for me thoroughly.

Have you tried McDonald's premium coffees, which I hear are notably better than Starbuck's?

Just their iced 'candy' coffee, caramel mochiatto IIRC. OK, tough to differentiate with all the bells and whistles. I mean how do you differentiate qualities of sugar, cream and whipped cream?

Just beans at home, decent, unassuming. Could drink it for months without complaint, yet not notice when another roast was substituted.

In earnest? About 20yo.

Never, adult beverages are generally a 'prepare for sleep' thing for me. Caffeine runs counter to that. Not a lot of interest in being buzzed and wide awake for hours.

No

Que? What is this, . . . de- . . . caffeinated? De, what?

GloryDayz 06-23-2014 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 10710557)
Ymmm, Bailey's Irish Cream in coffee. Or are you referring to another Bailey's?

Bailey's Irish Cream... (with a shot of coffee in it)!

srvy 06-23-2014 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 10710551)

So, lemme ask, if they don't use paper filters (including the unbleached) what do they use? How do they know if their temp is 200 degrees.

The french press you just add the grounds like the old percolator days. I believe they have filters for them, but you eliminate the oils in the coffee been.

Thermometer I suppose. I also believer the good electric water kettles have temp settings. I know my Bunn coffee maker does not brew untill water temp reaches 200.

RunKC 06-23-2014 03:36 PM

I really like panera's coffee. It's good quality and it's half the price. A regular sized coffee there is 2 bucks compared to about 4 at Starbucks.

Plus their bakery is infinitely better than Starbucks.

srvy 06-23-2014 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fried Meat Ball! (Post 10710555)
I've got a couple friends that roast their own. They've become quite adept at it, started by using a specific style of hot air popcorn poppers.

Yes Ive have herd that works. I read that its become popular on US Military remote outposts in Afghanistan. Kinda a hobby to pass time and drink something better than the swill furnished by uncle sam. Those guy have come up with some very unique ways to roast. Think I saw this late night on Nightline.

BucEyedPea 06-23-2014 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 10710013)
yes
hot
8 o'clock but can do Max house
Black
so much it would scare ya
Drank once wasn't impressed in taste or price
its ok
don't but there coffee and DD isn't near me
16 or 17 steady
sometimes but rarely
7days a week day or night. Do not I repeat do not come down from a caffeine high
try not to Doc says look into it.

I hated it at first too. It grows on you tho'-- then it's hard to go back. At least it was for me. I used to like DD but it's too weak for me now.

BucEyedPea 06-23-2014 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 10710588)
Bailey's Irish Cream... (with a shot of coffee in it)!

Ah! I do it in reverse.

BucEyedPea 06-23-2014 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 10710604)
I really like panera's coffee. It's good quality and it's half the price. A regular sized coffee there is 2 bucks compared to about 4 at Starbucks.

Plus their bakery is infinitely better than Starbucks.

I forgot about Panera. I like theirs too.

I don't know how someone pays $4 for coffee at Starbucks. I pay $1.70 but then I only order the Tall size and not one of those fancy coffee drinks. The exception is the occasional Latte, which I treat as a treat. Like buying ice cream.

Dave Lane 06-23-2014 03:43 PM

This is the machine I have. It's a commercial unit had it 10 years and yes I'm a serious espresso drinker and yes Starbucks is way too high this saved me a fortune.

http://www.1stincoffee.com/media/cat...urover-red.jpg

cdcox 06-23-2014 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 10710110)
For those of you who are pot a day drinkers, do you get really bad caffeine withdrawal if forced to skip a day?

I don't understand the question. I can't think of a circumstance where I could not sneak in a couple of cups of coffee.

Easy 6 06-23-2014 04:01 PM

Its a straight up crap morning without coffee for me, I need atleast two big cups to get going.

First one gets real cream and sugar, all subsequent ones are black... not real loyal to any one brand, but I have been digging this tub of Yuban I got and believe it or not Aldi brand coffee is much better than you'd expect.

srvy 06-23-2014 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 10710639)
Its a straight up crap morning without coffee for me, I need atleast two big cups to get going.

First one gets real cream and sugar, all subsequent ones are black... not real loyal to any one brand, but I have been digging this tub of Yuban I got and believe it or not Aldi brand coffee is much better than you'd expect.

I buy Aldi brand all the time. Not ashamed to say it. Its good and less dollars.

Easy 6 06-23-2014 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 10710669)
I buy Aldi brand all the time. Not ashamed to say it. Its good and less dollars.

I've read that cheaper brands oftentimes use little fillers, one of which is over roasted cocoa beans from candy makers etc... I'm convinced Aldi brand uses some of that stuff, I always get a slightly chocolatey flavor that I love from it.

I freakin LOVE Aldi's, like you I'm not the least bit ashamed to say it either... with beef, pork and everything else prices going through the roof its a no-brainer to shop there, they have a lot of great items for a ton less than the fancier stores.

If I spend $50 there, I get a heaping bag I can hardly carry... at the other places I'm looking at it going "what the ****?"

SAUTO 06-23-2014 04:52 PM

Drinking a cup of chocolate glazed donut from the kuerig right now...

Also really like an Italian dark roast after dinner.
Posted via Mobile Device

GloryDayz 06-23-2014 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 10710614)
Ah! I do it in reverse.

You drink coffee like a girl! :thumb::D:thumb::D:thumb::D:thumb::D

GloucesterChief 06-23-2014 05:57 PM

Do you like it?

Yes.

Hot or cold?
Hot for the most part but cold without a whole lot of sweetener is good as well.

What brands and strengths do you like? Tully is great. French roasts in general are my preferred.

Two sugars and half & half.

Several cups a day.

Burnt nasty beans.

Have you tried McDonald's premium coffees, which I hear are notably better than Starbuck's? Never had it.

What about Dunkin' Donuts' coffee? Not my favorite.

When did you start drinking coffee? Mid teens. Spent a couple years in Western Washington.

Mostly not, though the occasional whiskey or rum.

7 days a week.

Caffeine does nothing to me so I don't drink decaffeinated.

BucEyedPea 06-23-2014 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 10710915)
You drink coffee like a girl! :thumb::D:thumb::D:thumb::D:thumb::D

LMAO

I only do the Bailey's when I use coffee as a dessert or an drink.

Otherwise, I drink it strong and black each and every morning with no cream or any kind of sweetner artificial or otherwise--just like a guy.

98 SR20 06-23-2014 06:01 PM

I don't drink coffee.

BucEyedPea 06-23-2014 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 10710721)
I've read that cheaper brands oftentimes use little fillers, ...

That's happening with some other food too. Ever wonder why cheap ice-cream doesn't completely melt but part of it semi-solid? Cellulose fillers. Same is happening with olive oil being cut with cheaper oils.

Now, with along with all the food inflation--we're seeing the Incredibly Shrinking package. Notice that? Tuna less ounces and a higher price...same with bags of chips etc.

Fire Me Boy! 06-23-2014 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 10710951)
That's happening with some other food too. Ever wonder why cheap ice-cream doesn't completely melt but part of it semi-solid? Cellulose fillers. Same is happening with olive oil being cut with cheaper oils.

Now, with along with all the food inflation--we're seeing the Incredibly Shrinking package. Notice that? Tuna less ounces and a higher price...same with bags of chips etc.

I noticed that with Club crackers recently. The box is about 15 percent shorter, and the packages inside even moreso. Price stayed the same.

GloryDayz 06-23-2014 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 10710937)
LMAO

I only do the Bailey's when I use coffee as a dessert or an drink.

Otherwise, I drink it strong and black each and every morning with no cream or any kind of sweetner artificial or otherwise--just like a guy.

I add a shot of coffee to my Bailey's weekdays during the daylight hours!

And I was in the Navy and spent most of my time operating on/from submarines, so I know bad coffee and coffee that has that taste of amine in it... So that's where I learned to take my coffee "Blond and Sweet (like my women)"...

LOL, on the first boat I was attached to I can recall the skipper ordering his coffee just that way. Heck it was the first time we had operated from a boat instead of a ship, and the kid who was taking coffee orders (everybody in the control room take their turn making coffee runs - called "the coffee bitch") asked the skipper how he'd like it (you have to make it to order!!), and the skipper said, "blond and sweet, like my women" and it's stuck with me ever since.

MOhillbilly 06-23-2014 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10710112)
Not really, no.

Nice lookin Lacy Roundhead.

They can be mean and crazy.

Easy 6 06-23-2014 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 10710951)

All true... cheap ice cream though, you get what you pay for with that, but I've sure had the cheap stuff.

Olive oil is apparently a big mafia thing overseas, a major commodity that they somewhat have cornered and definitely cut all to hell before it makes its way over here in many cases.

And oh yeah on the shrinking packages, even my beloved Aldi's is now selling the $7 bags of frozen chicken breasts that contain much smaller pieces than they did just a year or two ago... if food prices keep going pretty soon we'll all be eating mostly bugs for our protein.

blaise 06-23-2014 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fried Meat Ball! (Post 10710961)
I noticed that with Club crackers recently. The box is about 15 percent shorter, and the packages inside even moreso. Price stayed the same.

Yeah, Starbucks did something shady, too. After I buy a bag of coffee I pour it into a container. The old Starbucks bags used to fill it to the top so I could barely fit the scoop in with it. Now with the new bags it fills it like an inch below the top so the scoop fits no problem.

Fire Me Boy! 06-24-2014 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 10711633)
Yeah, Starbucks did something shady, too. After I buy a bag of coffee I pour it into a container. The old Starbucks bags used to fill it to the top so I could barely fit the scoop in with it. Now with the new bags it fills it like an inch below the top so the scoop fits no problem.

Maybe smaller beans. The real test with that would be weight. Did they used to sell 1-pound bags and now sell 12-ounce bags or something like that?

Saulbadguy 06-24-2014 06:15 AM

Mainly hot coffee, I like light roasts in the morning and medium roasts in the afternoon.

Only take cream or half and half when i'm ordering a coffee after dinner - never sugar.

Probably about a pot a day.

Starbucks uses inferior quality beans and burns the hell out of them. I don't think their coffee is nasty but it's not worth the price.

Don't care for McDonalds coffee, never had Dunkin Donuts coffee.

Started drinking around age 28.

I rarely add booze to my coffee. Generally only when I want to stay up on the weekends AND get buzzed.

Yes, same intake as the week.

Decaff coffee i'll order after dinner sometimes, if I know I don't want to be up late.

WhiteWhale 06-24-2014 06:26 AM

I avoid caffeine.

Simply Red 06-24-2014 06:29 AM

I like it hot, several brands, Sumatra is maybe my favorite - outside of Whole Food's house beans which are ground at the store and they store under a heating lamp. That coffee is insane, but it's also $13.99 a pound. So that's a treat.

blaise 06-24-2014 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fried Meat Ball! (Post 10711855)
Maybe smaller beans. The real test with that would be weight. Did they used to sell 1-pound bags and now sell 12-ounce bags or something like that?

I buy it ground. Both bags say (said) 12 oz.

gblowfish 06-24-2014 12:50 PM

Answers to your many, many questions:

Since my college days, I've not been much of a coffee drinker. Of course, back then I'd make coffee with H2-Joe (caffeinated water).

But lately I've been very interested in cold brew coffee, as it significantly diminishes the acidity and bitterness and brings out more of the coffee's subtle flavors that get lost with hot brew. I made a gallon of cold brew concentrate, and I've really been enjoying it these last few days.

So I'm interested in your take on coffee.

Do you like it?
Hot and black, like Tina Turner.

Hot or cold?
Hot only. Hate cold coffee.

Old School: I like Folgers, Maxwell House, and Eight O'clock Coffee.

Nope, hot and black like Tina Turner.

One in the morning is all I need. More than that is too much.

Overpriced crap.

Nope, just McD's regular joe. It's OK. Quik Trip regular coffee is OK too.

Nope, try to avoid donuts.

When I was about 15, threw the KC Times off a paper truck at 3am, drank it to stay warm in the winter.

Kahlua (sp?) occasionally, but not often.

Nope, every morning usually.

What's the point?