ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Cardinals **** Official Cards @ Braves 'play in' **** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=264687)

VAChief 10-06-2012 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 8981763)
The infamous "infield fly" ball landed 225 feet away from home plate. That's approximately 100 feet beyond the distance from home to 2nd base, about 33 yards, or about 23 yards beyond Cassels maximum range for an accurate pass. Previously, the longest IF fly ball that wasn't caught landed 178 feet away from home plate, can't confirm if it was called by an outfield umpire.

You are arguing whether the rule makes sense. He made a call anyone who has either played or watched baseball regularly have seen called a thousand times. It sucks because Holliday and Kosma both screwed up, it doesn't change whether the rule can be applied.

jd1020 10-06-2012 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VAChief (Post 8981987)
You are arguing whether the rule makes sense. He made a call anyone who has either played or watched baseball regularly have seen called a thousand times. It sucks because Holliday and Kosma both screwed up, it doesn't change whether the rule can be applied.

LMAOLMAOLMAOLMAO

Go ahead and point me in the direction of those thousands of infield fly calls that have been made that deep in the outfield.

I'm sure you just watch/play more baseball than me, though. Which is why I'm the only one making a big deal out of that blatantly horrible call.

whoman69 10-06-2012 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 8982020)
LMAOLMAOLMAOLMAO

Go ahead and point me in the direction of those thousands of infield fly calls that have been made that deep in the outfield.

I'm sure you just watch/play more baseball than me, though. Which is why I'm the only one making a big deal out of that blatantly horrible call.

I think you need to read the rule again. If the situation arises and the infielder can make the play reasonably, its infield fly rule.

Frazod 10-06-2012 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 8981888)
In 3 days nobody outside of Atlanta will give a shit about the call. Bad calls are part of the game. Nobody was going to score on that play so there is no way to tell how it would have ended, unlike the 85' WS.

And of course, look who's still bitching about it.

1. Butthurt Cub fan
2. Butthurt Dodger fan
3. Lowlife Kansas shitbag who celebrates when people in St. Louis die in accidents on the off chance that they might be Cardinal fans.

jd1020 10-06-2012 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoman69 (Post 8982075)
I think you need to read the rule again. If the situation arises and the infielder can make the play reasonably, its infield fly rule.

The rule requires a level of common sense, common sense that is apparently lacking in Cardinal homers on this board. The rule was put in place to protect the offensive team from the defensive team intentionally dropping the ball on a short fly ball and turning a double/triple play.

Nothing about that ball was worthy of the infield fly rule which is why you didn't see the ****ing infield umps raising their hands signaling for the infield fly rule. The 3rd base ump was getting back into position to make a call at 3rd on the chance of a throw and then he sticks his hand up when he sees the outfield ump ruling for infield fly, puts it back down, and then back up. He probably had a "wtf?" moment as well when he first put his hand up.

jd1020 10-06-2012 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 8982181)

1. Butthurt Cub fan
2. Butthurt Dodger fan
3. Lowlife Kansas shitbag who celebrates when people in St. Louis die in accidents on the off chance that they might be Cardinal fans.

Not butthurt. I knew the Cubs were going to be terrible. They are in a few year rebuilding phase after their failed attempt to buy a WS.

I was bitching about the same call made against the Packers. Guess I'm a butthurt Chiefs fan aswell... wait...

I hate seeing shit like that. It ruins the game. No reason that call shouldn't have been overruled on the field and the game played on with 1 out and the bases loaded.

L.A. Chieffan 10-06-2012 12:47 PM

LMAO I'm not butthurt about it

Frazod 10-06-2012 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A. Chieffan (Post 8982242)
LMAO I'm not butthurt about it

Yeah, not you. Not ever. :LOL:

NJChiefsFan 10-06-2012 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 8981561)

The rule reads simply: If an infielder can make the play with ordinary effort, as soon as it's apparent, the umpire makes the immediate infield fly call. He has no discretion not to make the call as the rule clearly reads shall make the infield fly call.

The timing gripe is wrong - it has to be immediate upon the OFer getting camped, not immediate upon impact.

In my opinion its a touch beyond ordinary effort, and I also am not sure I agree with your interpretation of "immediate infield fly call". Either way I am not going to lose any sleep over it. My team plays tomorrow afternoon.

VAChief 10-06-2012 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 8982187)
The rule requires a level of common sense, common sense that is apparently lacking in Cardinal homers on this board. The rule was put in place to protect the offensive team from the defensive team intentionally dropping the ball on a short fly ball and turning a double/triple play.

Nothing about that ball was worthy of the infield fly rule which is why you didn't see the ****ing infield umps raising their hands signaling for the infield fly rule. The 3rd base ump was getting back into position to make a call at 3rd on the chance of a throw and then he sticks his hand up when he sees the outfield ump ruling for infield fly, puts it back down, and then back up. He probably had a "wtf?" moment as well when he first put his hand up.

I haven't seen anyone on here who said he should have made the call. He is justified in making it however based on what was happening at the time. It doesn't matter where the infielder is at the time. If he is under the ball, the umpire can in his judgement throw the arm up to signal it is likely a catch and runners move at their own risk.

NJChiefsFan 10-06-2012 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VAChief (Post 8982649)
I haven't seen anyone on here who said he should have made the call. He is justified in making it however based on what was happening at the time. It doesn't matter where the infielder is at the time. If he is under the ball, the umpire can in his judgement throw the arm up to signal it is likely a catch and runners move at their own risk.

That's one of my issues with it. Part of the rule is calling it in reasonable time. Calling it when its 20 feet from the ground doesn't give the runners the ability to make a decision based on the rule. As anybody that has run the bases knows, at that point in the decent of the ball you are half way and leaning one way or the other. The call came too late for a runner to make decision based off of "infield fly rule" instead of based off the actions happening in front of them.

BigRedChief 10-06-2012 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 8982181)

1. Butthurt Cub fan
2. Butthurt Dodger fan

Haters are going to hate. ATL committed 3 unforced errors. How many did Texas commit? It's a trend. Other teams have a hard time dealing with the pressure and crack.

We have not been favored in a series since 2004 when we got our asses handed to us by the Red Sox.

Look at our team. We are not suppose to win. We are written off as not worthy. But we hang in there, we scrap, we don't give up, we play a good brand of baseball. It's a damn good team to be a fan of and some of those haters just wish their team played like the Cardinals.:thumb:

BigRedChief 10-06-2012 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 8981188)
if you get on 85 north there - that's a dynamic way to enter the city. It's just high and beautiful, city of trees.

Very cool, went that way home. Thanks for the tip. It was beautiful. I'll give you some slack for your fellow fans almost taking my head off with a bottle of water and drenching me with beer.:p

Simply Red 10-06-2012 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 8981655)
You'll still find some dumbasses to argue with this.

My only beefs are:

He made the call when the ball had almost reached the ground. The call hand signaled call MUST be immediate, and MUST be clear, it was neither.

So much for adhering to their own written rules. Yes the outcome of the game absolutely could've been different, w/ the bases loaded and one out. Am i saying it would've? Not necessarily, but COULD have.

That's all i'm saying.

Simply Red 10-06-2012 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 8983204)
Very cool, went that way home. Thanks for the tip. It was beautiful. I'll give you some slack for your fellow fans almost taking my head off with a bottle of water and drenching me with beer.:p

Good to hear, hope you made it back home, that's a bitch of a drive. Oh wait you're not in Missouri anymore, you're in Florida, right?