ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto Owners of Toyota Cars in Rebellion Over Accidents Caused by Sudden acceleration. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=217516)

Frosty 01-28-2010 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 6486145)
I had an 80 Chevette when I was young and poor. Drove that thing around for 2 or 3 years. Only paid $100 for it. Yeah, it was a little piece of junk. But hey, it got me from point A to point B. It never had any problems with hills, either.

In the late 70's, during the gas crisis, my dad loved Chevettes because they were cheap and got good mileage. We had at least three. His favorite, which was our family car for awhile, was a diesel 4-door. He loved it because it got 55 MPG.

The things were crude as hell but we never had problems with them (the diesel Olds Gutless we had briefly was a different story).

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 6486470)
Averages around 40MPG. But there's nothing special about the car.

That's the thing that bothers me about the Smart. It should get a lot better mileage. I have a 2001 Chev Prism (same as a Corolla) that I easily get 40 MPG in mixed driving and have gotten 46 MPG while hyper-miling. I can carry four people and have a decent sized trunk. I don't see the point in driving a tiny car if I can get the same or better mileage in a bigger car, except maybe for the "look at me" factor.

JD10367 01-28-2010 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arc (Post 6487163)
That's the thing that bothers me about the Smart. It should get a lot better mileage. I have a 2001 Chev Prism (same as a Corolla) that I easily get 40 MPG in mixed driving and have gotten 46 MPG while hyper-miling. I can carry four people and have a decent sized trunk. I don't see the point in driving a tiny car if I can get the same or better mileage in a bigger car, except maybe for the "look at me" factor.

You may "easily get 40 MPG" but most cars don't. Fact is, the Smart gets the best MPG of any new car that is not a hybrid or diesel.

It's a solid little car that isn't too expensive (I paid less for mine last year than your '01 was going for in it's heyday) yet people expect miracles from it, when it's just a car and... hey, wait a minute! My car is Matt Cassel! :doh!:

HemiEd 01-28-2010 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 6487181)
My car is Matt Cassel! :doh!:

so you are "that guy."

Bugeater 01-28-2010 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arc (Post 6487163)
In the late 70's, during the gas crisis, my dad loved Chevettes because they were cheap and got good mileage. We had at least three. His favorite, which was our family car for awhile, was a diesel 4-door. He loved it because it got 55 MPG.

I remember the diesel Chevettes, kinda odd but if that thing got 55 fuggin MPG then GM needs to start building them again. Hell I'd take that over a Smart car or a Prius.

Frosty 01-28-2010 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 6487562)
I remember the diesel Chevettes, kinda odd but if that thing got 55 fuggin MPG then GM needs to start building them again. Hell I'd take that over a Smart car or a Prius.

All of the new emission laws probably prevent that from happening, though the VW Golf TDI gets close to that.

The diesel in the Chevette was an Isuzu engine that you could also get in the LUV. My dad had one of those in the mid-80s, too. It was a LUV 4x4 diesel. I think he got in the low 30's with it. The thing about it, though, was that 55 MPH was the absolute fastest it would go.

You could also get that little diesel in the Nissan Sentra around that time. I gave that one a serious thought for a commuter.

Radar Chief 01-28-2010 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arc (Post 6487609)
All of the new emission laws probably prevent that from happening, though the VW Golf TDI gets close to that.

The diesel in the Chevette was an Isuzu engine that you could also get in the LUV. My dad had one of those in the mid-80s, too. It was a LUV 4x4 diesel. I think he got in the low 30's with it. The thing about it, though, was that 55 MPH was the absolute fastest it would go.

You could also get that little diesel in the Nissan Sentra around that time. I gave that one a serious thought for a commuter.

Actually GM had developed a 4.5L V-8 turbo Diesel that would fit in the same space as their 5.7L gas engine, was making over 250 HP and 500 lb/ft of torque, would get over 30 MPG combined city/highway and they were all set to start putting them in their '10 1/2 ton trucks, all emissions legal burning the latest formulation of fuel. Want to know what happened to them?
Government take over, they killed the project.

acasas4 01-28-2010 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 6486739)
Bug, the more I read, I think the media (since they don't know jack shit about mechanics or electronics) are now over simplifying the throttle assembly, by calling it a gas pedal. (of course Toyota confused things with their floor mat bull shit.)
The way I see it, at this point, since it is drive by wire, it is probably all inclusive of the electronic throttle, sensors, and servo system on the engine.

It could be the design, faulty manufacturing, or failures of sourced parts for the assembly such as transistors, ICs, diodes or any number of other parts.

But what really pisses me off and makes me convinced it is a cover up, they have had numerous crashed cars to analyze. The later model cars also have black boxes that are event recorders.

So as far as I am concerned, Toyota is at fault.

http://kansascity.injuryboard.com/au...oogleid=277316

"Now, USA Today has reported that Toyota knew about its gas pedal and accelerator problems last year but failed to issue a recall until the day before ABC News broke the story about additional problems."

Fuggers.

HemiEd 01-28-2010 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acasas4 (Post 6487692)
http://kansascity.injuryboard.com/au...oogleid=277316

"Now, USA Today has reported that Toyota knew about its gas pedal and accelerator problems last year but failed to issue a recall until the day before ABC News broke the story about additional problems."

Fuggers.

The truth is really starting to spill now. It is all about the $$. Floor mats my ass, that was an insult to the American people.

JD10367 01-28-2010 06:31 PM

"Oh, what a feelin', to <strike>drive</strike> crash... a Toyota."

jjjayb 01-28-2010 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 6487718)
The truth is really starting to spill now. It is all about the $$. Floor mats my ass, that was an insult to the American people.

Toyota has been delaying recalls and hiding safety problems for years. This is just one of many instances.

JD10367 01-28-2010 07:03 PM

Let's see.

They're a Japanese company.

Their cars are suddenly going out of control, and killing people.... everywhere except in Japan.

IT'S ANOTHER SNEAK ATTACK!! NUKE THOSE LITTLE F**KERS!!!

jjjayb 01-28-2010 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 6487811)
Let's see.

Their cars are suddenly going out of control, and killing people.... everywhere except in Japan.

This is almost as bad as when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor!

JD10367 01-28-2010 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjjayb (Post 6487817)

http://lakersblog.latimes.com/lakers.../blutarski.jpg

HemiEd 01-28-2010 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjjayb (Post 6487817)

Close, very close.

HemiEd 01-28-2010 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD10367 (Post 6487811)
Let's see.

yeah, and it is a Japanese designed part, that they had built by an American company. It all makes sense, they are still trying to win.