ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals 2013 Kansas City Royals Repository Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267564)

Tytanium 04-15-2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 9588220)
He is the yang to Frenchy's ying.....

He also set the record for fewest strikeouts in a full season with 3.

If only, Frenchy. If only...

Hootie 04-15-2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 9587693)
Gordon was the third batter in an inning 4 times yesterday.

the point of putting him at 3rd is to surround him by better hitters...rather than him following up our worst hitters (Francouer, Getz, Dyson, Johnson, etc...)

the idea is to score runs

putting your two best OPS guys at 3 and 4 is done with the idea that, statistically, lumping those two together will equal doubles, RBI's, and homeruns (with one another on base etc...)

I don't give a shit about Gordon at 3 I'd just rather have him batting directly in front of Billy Butler

Archie F. Swin 04-16-2013 07:06 AM

I wonder if recent events will affect the scheduled Royals/Red Sox series?

KChiefs1 04-16-2013 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archie F. Swin (Post 9591144)
I wonder if recent events will affect the scheduled Royals/Red Sox series?

Checking the Directv guide for 672-1 & they don't have the Red Sox game on Wednesday morning on the schedule. They have tonight's game on it though.

warpaint* 04-16-2013 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 9591193)
Checking the Directv guide for 672-1 & they don't have the Red Sox game on Wednesday morning on the schedule. They have tonight's game on it though.

We play the Braves Wed, Bosox series as scheduled won't start until Fri.

Great Expectations 04-16-2013 08:23 AM

I'd be very surprised if our games vs the BoSox is rescheduled. I've always thought that when things like this happen everyone needs to resume their normal lives as quickly as possible. The more that the tragedy affects things like this the more sick people think they accomplished something with their behavior.

siberian khatru 04-16-2013 10:00 AM

So, if we're in "win now" mode, how about Moose for Chase Headley?

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...y-suitors.html

* The Royals appear set at third base with Mike Moustakas, but they could upgrade to Headley and include Moustakas in the trade. This is another team that has invested a lot in winning now.

alnorth 04-16-2013 10:01 PM

Reposting here, because some may be done with that last game thread.

The Royals are convinced that Herrera must have been tipping his pitches.

Quote:

Herrera started the inning by retiring B.J. Upton on a grounder to third, but Heyward sliced a 98-mph fastball deep over the left-field wall. Upton followed by crushing a changeup.

Upton’s homer -- he seemed to be waiting on the 0-1 pitch — is what convinced the Royals that Herrera must be tipping. When Uggla turned around an 0-2 inside fastball...the Royals had little doubt.

“They say I was doing different little movements with my breaking ball and my fastball,” Herrera said. “But that’s no excuse. They just got me today. If I was (tipping pitches), I’m going to fix it.”

Al Bundy 04-16-2013 10:03 PM

He had to be tipping them, and once it got out of control he had no shot.

Al Bundy 04-16-2013 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 9591647)
So, if we're in "win now" mode, how about Moose for Chase Headley?

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...y-suitors.html

* The Royals appear set at third base with Mike Moustakas, but they could upgrade to Headley and include Moustakas in the trade. This is another team that has invested a lot in winning now.

I would do this immediately. I would give them Hosmer as well.

Great Expectations 04-17-2013 07:27 AM

I'm going to meet Frank White in a couple of weeks and I'd like to have him sign a jersey. Does anyone know a good place to buy an old replica jersey?

duncan_idaho 04-17-2013 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Bundy (Post 9594543)
I would do this immediately. I would give them Hosmer as well.

I wouldn't.

Headley is a nice player, but you should take a look at his career stats BEFORE last season.

He has been a largely punch-less hitter from the 3B spot before last year. I'm not convinced the uptick in HR and slugging a season ago is more than a one year flap.

I'd be all for trading for Headley, still. But I'm not convinced he's a major upgrade over Moustakas immediately, and having him for only a season and a half is a problem. I probably wouldn't swap Moose straight up for him. And certainly would not include Hosmer in addition.

If you could get it done for prospects, however... fire away.

Demonpenz 04-17-2013 09:03 AM

When the pressure is off I fully expect Moose and Hosmer to play well.

Discuss Thrower 04-17-2013 09:10 AM

Call up Seratelli!

siberian khatru 04-17-2013 09:56 AM

Hosmer, Moustakas not looking good so far

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/po...ng-good-so-far

Snippet:

In Hosmer's case, he just isn't driving the ball -- at all. He had his one double to deep left-center and one fly out to deep left, but after flying out twice and striking out twice on Tuesday, he now has 12 ground balls in play and six fly balls. He has hit seven line drives, but those lines drives aren't being driven into the gaps.

This is somewhat similar to the issue he faced last year when he had trouble pulling the ball with much authority -- he only pulled three home runs all season (he hit seven to the opposite field and four just to the right of center). You can be a good hitter even if your natural stroke goes to the opposite field, but unless you possess the raw power of someone like Ryan Howard or David Ortiz, you're not going to develop into a big home run hitter unless you pull the ball more. Hosmer hit .284 and slugged .444 against fastballs last year, which sounds pretty good, but the major-league averages were .295 and .485 for qualified regular. Hosmer ranked in the 42nd percentile in batting average and 32nd percentile in slugging percentage against the fastball. The trouble is, he was even worse against "soft" stuff -- he hit .177 and slugged .245, well below the .242 and .393 marks of the 144 qualified regulars.

I would argue that it all stems off hitting the fastball. If he can't catch up to the good fastballs, he's going to struggle much more against offspeed stuff. So far in 2013, he's 0-for-14 in plate appearances ending in fastballs. Until he shows he can hit the hard stuff with authority, Hosmer isn't going to meet the lofty expectations everyone had for him after his rookie season.