ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals 2013 Kansas City Royals Repository Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267564)

Mother****erJones 04-21-2013 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 9613129)
The Twins are ****ing bad, real bad. That won't hold up.

They took 2 from us. We just aren't hitting, outside of Rios.

lewdog 04-21-2013 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mother****erJones (Post 9613147)
They took 2 from us. We just aren't hitting, outside of Rios.

Early season wins won't matter for a team with that shitty of pitching. The Twins are just garbage.

stonedstooge 04-21-2013 10:16 PM

Tigers have lost 4 in a row. Would love to see them have a streak like we had last year to start the season. We can make it 7

Mother****erJones 04-21-2013 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 9613161)
Early season wins won't matter for a team with that shitty of pitching. The Twins are just garbage.

Ya we have a good pitching staff. Bats need to wake up.

CaliforniaChief 04-21-2013 10:21 PM

I think the Angels are starting to wake up, explaining DET's struggles.

I'm really curious to see how this series goes.

And frankly, my hope was that they could split the roadie at 4-4 considering the quality of teams played. All we have to do now is win 1 game at DET to accomplish that, and call me greedy now, but I'll be disappointed if that's all we get.

Mother****erJones 04-21-2013 10:22 PM

Detroit's ****ed because of their pen.

Pitt Gorilla 04-21-2013 11:32 PM

John Buck has 7 HRs.

teedubya 04-21-2013 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9598657)
Not sure what was going on in that Lexington game, because they struck out 19 times as a team last night. Very weird game.

Starling is lost at the plate right now, though. We've talked about it a lot in here already, and I don't think there's much to add other than... his swing mechanics look awkward. And the longer they look bad, the more it looks like it is about him and not about a new batting stance/approach/mechanics.

Mondesi's stats don't matter that much. He's a 17-year old in full season league. For comparison, when Profar was that age, he OPSed .696 in the Northwest League. The scouting reports are what you have to rely on with him (and so far, they still glow).

I would expect young hitters to struggle in the Carolina league (High-A Wilmington). That's a terrible hitters park, and the league is full of them (it also is extremely cold up there for baseball).

So I wouldn't put much stock in the overall numbers of guys in Wilmington. I believe that includes Cuthbert and Bonifacio. That's a tough environment, and both of those guys are STILL young for that league. Especially Bonifacio.

I'm a little surprised Calixte hasn't taken off at AA, after a strong year at Wilmington in 2012, but he typically has been a slow starter. I'll give that another 15 games, at least, before I start worrying about him.

Sum: Starling is really the only hitter I'm concerned about at this point, and maybe a little with Cuthbert. It's still too early to take much from the hitting stats. Unless they're striking out in half their at-bats. Which is always bad...

On the flip side, the Royals pitching performances have been pretty great so far. Still a small sample size, but...

Omaha
Will Smith has been excellent so far in this tough pitcher's league (23 Ks in 16 IP, 23:6 K:BB), and Chris Dwyer looks to have found himself all of a sudden (He's walking guys at only a league average rate - 3 per 9 - which has always been his issue. If that improved control sticks around...)

NWA
Yordy Ventura has been outstanding so far, and Noelle Arguelles has been surprisingly effective (seems to have recovered some of his lost velocity.

Wilmington

Again, this is a pitcher's league, but the Royals have received great returns.
Kyle Zimmer has been dominant, which was expected. Kyle Smith has also been dominant, which probably was not expected. John Lamb is pitching well so far and still is building up velocity. Angel Baez has control issues, but his results and stuff are dazzling. And Sam Selman has also been very good, though the walk totals are dangerously high.

Lexington

Bryan Brickhouse seems to be finding himself at Lexington, and pitching well, and early returns on Miguel Almonte have been GLOWING (Baseball Prospectus saw him this spring and proclaimed he was equivalent to Zimmer as a prospect afterwards).

Side note: I feel like I should mention something about Fred Ford, who is also at Lexington. Late-round pick out of a mid-MO JUCO is Starling's mirror from a physical standpoint (6-5, looks like a stud) and has been the superior hitter so far at each level (They've come up together). He doesn't have the hall of fame upside Starling does (not a GG-level defender or super-elite athlete), but if he continues to hit, that takes some sting out of potential failure from Starling.

Will be fun to keep an eye on over the next few weeks.

Your CP posts are like blog posts... you should have your own Royals blog somewhere, man. They are too high of quality to just leave in a 3500 post thread on a Chiefs forum. LOL

teedubya 04-21-2013 11:39 PM

There are multiple teams with 10+ wins in all of the divisions except that AL Central.

14 teams overall have 10 wins or more.

Archie F. Swin 04-22-2013 05:15 AM

Our current record puts us in 3rd place in virtually every other MLB division. We're fortunate our division rivals haven't gone on a winning streak. We apparently have major league starting pitching and good defense...BUT WE NEED TO HIT THE FREAKING BALL!!!

AussieChiefsFan 04-22-2013 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archie F. Swin (Post 9613508)
Our current record puts us in 3rd place in virtually every other MLB division. We're fortunate our division rivals haven't gone on a winning streak. We apparently have major league starting pitching and good defense...BUT WE NEED TO HIT THE FREAKING BALL!!!

I was a bit curious, so I took the liberty of adding the royals into all the other divisions to see where we'd be. We'd actually usually be 2nd, not third.

http://i.imgur.com/VPe3anR.png

But dont get me wrong. Youre definitely correct about the WE NEED TO HIT THE BALL thing.

Codered 04-22-2013 06:24 AM

Watching Moose "try to figure it out" is painful to say the least. Is it time to let him take a trip to Omaha and swing the bat some yet?

mr. tegu 04-22-2013 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Codered (Post 9613544)
Watching Moose "try to figure it out" is painful to say the least. Is it time to let him take a trip to Omaha and swing the bat some yet?

I know Moose isn't making good contact but he is having a pretty rough time finding holes. His BABIP is only .184 to go with his .158 average. Whereas Hosmer is only batting .261 but his BABIP is .343. Hosmer has at least been making more consistent contact. And IIRC Moustakas has had a label in the past of being a slow starter. Hopefully he picks it up soon. We don't need him to necessarily hit for average but we need power from him.

BigCatDaddy 04-22-2013 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 9613356)
John Buck has 7 HRs.

I wonder if he can play 1st or 3rd base :shrug:

Infidel Goat 04-22-2013 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Codered (Post 9613544)

Rany said no in his Friday column.