ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports ****OFFICIAL 2013 NBA PLAYOFFS THREAD**** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=272221)

KC_Connection 05-25-2013 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 9709759)
And Wilbon just made a great point, how bad do the Grizzlies miss Rudy Gay? Prince is pretty much worthless

I'm not sure they miss Rudy Gay and his inefficiency that much. After all, he was taking away offense from Gasol, Randolph, and Conley and they've still gone further without him than they ever did with him. The fact that they've replaced him with a bunch of bad players who can't hit open shots or are flawed in some other way (like Pondexter), though, that's a real problem. I've thought all postseason long how much better Memphis could be with a couple of actual shooters that Gasol and Conley could pass to. If they rectify that in the offseason, they'll be truly elite and almost impossible to stop.

At the beginning of this series, I picked the Spurs due to their depth, experience, and coaching compared to Memphis and I think all of those qualities are showing themselves now.

KC native 05-25-2013 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9709760)
Spurs are a fantastic organization. One of the best ran and underappreciated in all of pro sports. They are basically the Patriots of the NBA. They just win....every single year.

Yes. I'm so glad I wanted to be different from everyone when I was a kid and chose the Spurs over the Bulls.

KC_Connection 05-25-2013 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC native (Post 9709779)
Posts like this are what show you don't know shit about basketball. The only debatable HOFer is Manu (and it's a bad debate but arguable). Tony Parker's numbers are some of the best for a PG. Timmy is a shoe in. Best 4 man to ever play the game.

Yep. I'm no Spurs fan, but there's no question that all three of them are HOFs. Manu's contributions at the world/Olympic level (gold in Athens, 2004) with Argentina do count.

Direckshun 05-25-2013 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 9709745)
Dude Rashard Lewis shouldn't even be in the league. There's a reason hes gotten less than 5 minutes in all the playoff games combined.

The heat have 3 players on their bench that have the same exact role. Miller, Allen, and Battier have the same role on the team. Haslem is decent. But that's about it.
Posted via Mobile Device

I want to isolate this statement.

"Miller, Allen, and Battier have the same role on the team."

Do you want to stand by this statement, and claim that you are actually getting the upperhand in a conversation about basketball?

I will give you one opportunity to backtrack from that statement, out of courtesy.

dirk digler 05-25-2013 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 9709781)
I'm not sure they miss Rudy Gay and his inefficiency that much. After all, he was taking away offense from Gasol, Randolph, and Conley and they've still gone further without him than they ever did with him. The fact that they've replaced him with a bunch of bad players who can't hit open shots or are flawed in some other way (like Pondexter), though, that's a real problem. I've thought all postseason long how much better Memphis could be with a couple of actual shooters that Gasol and Conley could pass to. If they rectify that in the offseason, they'll be truly elite and almost impossible to stop.

At the beginning of this series, I picked the Spurs due to their depth, experience, and coaching compared to Memphis and I think all of those qualities are showing themselves now.

All good points. Wilbon's point was that Rudy helped with spacing and spreading the floor out. I doubt if the Grizzlies miss all of shot taking though. They definitely need a scorer though.

dirk digler 05-25-2013 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 9709800)
I want to isolate this statement.

"Miller, Allen, and Battier have the same role on the team."

Do you want to stand by this statement, and claim that you are actually getting the upperhand in a conversation about basketball?

I will give you one opportunity to backtrack from that statement, out of courtesy.

Offensively their role is the same. The only difference is defensively Battier plays the 4

KC_Connection 05-25-2013 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 9709807)
All good points. Wilbon's point was that Rudy helped with spacing and spreading the floor out. I doubt if the Grizzlies miss all of shot taking though. They definitely need a scorer though.

Someone like Kevin Martin could be very effective for Memphis.

Direckshun 05-25-2013 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 9709808)
Offensively their role is the same. The only difference is defensively Battier plays the 4

That's not what he said. I'm giving him an opportunity to walk it back.

-King- 05-26-2013 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 9709813)
That's not what he said. I'm giving him an opportunity to walk it back.

How are their roles different? They're all on the floor because of their 3 point shooting ability. That's pretty much it.
Posted via Mobile Device

KC native 05-26-2013 11:30 AM

#2 for all time play off double doubles. Timeless Timmy Duncan
http://images.ftw.usatoday.com/wp-co...bledoubles.gif

Tribal Warfare 05-26-2013 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC native (Post 9710357)
#2 for all time play off double doubles. Timeless Timmy Duncan
http://images.ftw.usatoday.com/wp-co...bledoubles.gif

I always admired Duncun since he's modern day Bill Russell. The consummate team player

Pitt Gorilla 05-26-2013 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 9708532)
Yeah, we were spoiled with how many basketball legends were playing in the 80's and 90's. I know I took what Jordan did for granted because I grew up watching him and expected the next great BB player to do the same thing.

There are a lot of outstanding players in the Association right now. We may not know who all will end up in the Hall, but there are outstanding players and there will continue to be outstanding players. I

I've been watching the NBA since 1984 or so. There have been some down times, but there will always be an influx of excellent talent.

Tribal Warfare 05-26-2013 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 9710653)
There are a lot of outstanding players in the Association right now. We may not know who all will end up in the Hall, but there are outstanding players and there will continue to be outstanding players. I

I've been watching the NBA since 1984 or so. There have been some down times, but there will always be an influx of excellent talent.

MJ himself said that the league is a mere shadow to the overall (including role players) competition that was present in the 80's

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 05-26-2013 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 9710762)
MJ himself said that the league is a mere shadow to the overall (including role players) competition that was present in the 80's

Why wouldn't he say that? Doesn't really mean anything.

Tribal Warfare 05-26-2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy Was Offsides (Post 9710768)
Why wouldn't he say that? Doesn't really mean anything.

it means that the skill level has diminished greatly. The league average in FTs are absurdly lower in comparison to the said eras I mentioned