ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   *****OFFICIAL 2014 CP Mock Draft***** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=282559)

Mav 04-04-2014 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldSchool (Post 10538693)
Why Nix and not Ealy? They need help for Clay Matthews in the worst way and you can find plenty of other NTs and 5-techs later in this draft.

They re-signed raji, have datone jones, and ryan pickett is gone. Louis Nix is a perfect pick for them.

OldSchool 04-04-2014 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mavericks Ace (Post 10538714)
They re-signed raji, have datone jones, and ryan pickett is gone. Louis Nix is a perfect pick for them.

Meh: Justin Ellis, DaQuan Jones, DeAndre Coleman, etc could all do the job fine. and would be available later in the draft. Ealy was easily the BPA at a much more valuable position than NT (which is what Raji plays, btw). Outside of Clay Matthews, the Packers have nothing at OLB (Perry has been a bust so far).

Mav 04-04-2014 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldSchool (Post 10538739)
Meh: Justin Ellis, DaQuan Jones, DeAndre Coleman, etc could all do the job fine. and would be available later in the draft. Ealy was easily the BPA at a much more valuable position than NT (which is what Raji plays, btw). Outside of Clay Matthews, the Packers have nothing at OLB (Perry has been a bust so far).

Raji hasn't played nt in 3 years boss.

OldSchool 04-04-2014 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mavericks Ace (Post 10538742)
Raji hasn't played nt in 3 years boss.

:rolleyes:

Quote:

Packers agreed to terms with DT B.J. Raji on a one-year, $4 million contract.
Last November, Raji now infamously turned down a multi-year deal that reportedly contained $20 million total and $8 million guaranteed. But as his play tailed off dramatically, he realized that rehabbing his value on a one-year pact with Green Bay was his best (and only) option. Raji has zero sacks over his last 39 games (including playoffs), has zero forced fumbles in his five-year career and graded out dead last against the run among 3-4 ends in PFF's 2013 grades. He's expected to move to nose tackle this season. Mar 14 - 3:27 PM
Quote:

Coach Mike McCarthy confirmed B.J. Raji will move back to nose tackle in 2014.
McCarthy said the Packers need to "cut [Raji] loose" and "get him over the center again." Raji has mostly played defensive end in Green Bay's 3-4 defense the past two seasons while Ryan Pickett manned the nose. Pickett won't be back. Raji will line up over center and should be flanked by Datone Jones and Mike Neal. Julius Peppers and Clay Matthews will rush the passer from the edges. Mar 25 - 3:23 PM
:clap:

Chief Roundup 04-04-2014 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 10538656)
i'd pray for a trade down, in real life

me too.

RealSNR 04-04-2014 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldSchool (Post 10538693)
Why Nix and not Ealy? They need help for Clay Matthews in the worst way and you can find plenty of other NTs and 5-techs later in this draft.

Because Raji hasn't done shit since his rookie year. They clearly brought him in for an extra year not counting on having him aboard long-term.

And sorry, but you CAN'T find plenty of other NTs later in the draft. Not ones like Nix. That's the whole point. The Packers have been messing around for years with Raji playing inside and out, and he's just not that kind of player. He's not Haloti Ngata. Nix is a bit of a risk given his disappointing 2013 year, but with what he did for two years prior, you know he's got something special.

Kony Ealy was in consideration. So was Kyle Van Noy. But I went with the position that I thought was far more rare and crucial to what the Packers want to accomplish on defense. In that way, I think Nix was more valuable than Ealy and Van Noy.

Also, I would have gone with Van Noy over Ealy had I taken a pass rusher.

chiefscafan 04-04-2014 09:38 AM

Good pick for chiefs I'll have my pic in a second it's between couple guys I'm surprised are still here.

RealSNR 04-04-2014 09:47 AM

Also, the Packers have three guys at OLB- Matthews, Peppers, and Perry. That's not bad.

Perry hasn't been a bust. He's been injured. If I'm debating between getting Ealy or Van Noy as a passrusher behind those three or getting a NT like Nix behind Raji (who's only on a 1-year contract) then I'll easily take Nix.

Show me another 330+ lb dude in this draft who can move like Nix.

OldSchool 04-04-2014 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 10538800)
Also, the Packers have three guys at OLB- Matthews, Peppers, and Perry. That's not bad.

Perry hasn't been a bust. He's been injured. If I'm debating between getting Ealy or Van Noy as a passrusher behind those three or getting a NT like Nix behind Raji (who's only on a 1-year contract) then I'll easily take Nix.

Show me another 330+ lb dude in this draft who can move like Nix.

Peppers is going to mainly be a DL for them, not OLB.

Justin Ellis actually ran a lot better than Nix did at a slightly heavier weight.

Ellis, 334 pounds: 5.27 40, 7.81 3-cone drill, 28" vert, 7'8" broad

Nix, 331 pounds: 5.42 40, 8.29 3-cone drill, 25 1/2" vert, 8'1" broad

Nix is nowhere close in athleticism to Ellis.

Hell, you could throw Zach Kerr into the mix as well as he is only about 8 pounds lighter than those two but tested out of the roof at his 326 pounds. (5.08 40 yard dash time at 326 pounds.)

Cue obligatory "That's just underwear olympics, blah blah blah, means nothing."

Go watch tape on them. The athleticism jumps out in pads as well.

RealSNR 04-04-2014 10:01 AM

Doubtful. Peppers will probably play on the line in obvious pass rush situations, but they'll likely want him as an OLB most of the time. He'll do a mixture of both, but lean on moving him back as an OLB.

The Packers really like what they have with Neal and Jones, too. I don't see how or why they would change that but then leave something as valuable as OLB depth empty when they have a guy like Peppers on the team.

RealSNR 04-04-2014 10:03 AM

Which tape should I watch? The one in 2013 when Nix had a nagging meniscus injury or in 2011 and 2012 when he raped faces?

chiefscafan 04-04-2014 10:03 AM

*****OFFICIAL 2014 CP Mock Draft*****

THE CINCINNATI BENGALS SELECT:

DE: KONAY EALY FROM MISSOURI

The Bengals select Ealy because after Michael Johnson left to Bucs there is a spot on the defensive line and he is just too talented to pass up.

OldSchool 04-04-2014 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 10538836)
Doubtful. Peppers will probably play on the line in obvious pass rush situations, but they'll likely want him as an OLB most of the time. He'll do a mixture of both, but lean on moving him back as an OLB.

The Packers really like what they have with Neal and Jones, too. I don't see how or why they would change that but then leave something as valuable as OLB depth empty when they have a guy like Peppers on the team.

Here you go.

Quote:

The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel suggests Julius Peppers' "elephant" role will consist of lining up at end in Green Bay's base defense, rushing from the interior in sub-packages, and mixing in snaps at outside linebacker.
We've slotted Peppers at end on our depth charts because we think he'll play there the most. Clay Matthews and Nick Perry still figure to be the primary outside linebackers, with Peppers and Datone Jones at end, and B.J. Raji at nose tackle. Mike Neal, Mike Daniels, and Jerel Worthy will be the top front-seven reserves. Talent can no longer be coordinator Dom Capers' excuse on defense. Mar 26 - 7:13 AM
It's speculative but I would tend to agree with what they're saying given the fact that Peppers is now old and I don't think he'll have the ability to stand up and dominate at OLB at this stage of his career.

chiefscafan 04-04-2014 10:06 AM

*****OFFICIAL 2014 CP Mock Draft*****

sorry I 'm on my my notebook not really sure how to bold on here.

wanted to get pick in to keep this rolling.

and I private messaged Ramsfan

Ok I'll do it on tap talk from now on

The Franchise 04-04-2014 10:37 AM

Updated.