ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Miami reporter says we signed McIntosh (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=159157)

penchief 03-04-2007 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca
Like I said he's very good......his sack totals are 9/11/7.5 to be elite he needs a 15 year, he needs to make a pro bowl.

Being the best player on the Chiefs defense doesn't make him elite.....the Chiefs as a unit aren't an elite defense. The fact that he's become a good all around player is what puts him in the 2nd tier because his sack totals really aren't even 2nd tier level....

I never said that being the best player on the Chiefs defense makes him elite, so don't latch onto that as the core of your argument. I said that his statistics make him elite. His impact during a game makes him elite. The two together make it a closed case, IMO.

The sacks don't tell the full picture. Who knows what Allen would do on a team that has DTs that could collapse the pocket. I dare say he'd reach that 15 sack total easily. When the totality of his defensive stats is taken into account, I believe that only Merriman and Taylor rival his effectiveness as an every down DE. After that, considering his actual impact during the game only makes it more obvious, IMO.

To me, all that makes him elite player at his position.

Mecca 03-04-2007 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penchief
I never said that being the best player on the Chiefs defense makes him elite, so don't latch onto that as the core of your argument. I said that his statistics make him elite. His impact during a game makes him elite. The two together make it a closed case, IMO.

The sacks don't tell the full picture. Who knows what Allen would do on a team that has DTs that could collapse the pocket. I dare say he'd reach that 15 sack total easily. When the totality of his defensive stats is taken into account, I believe that only Merriman and Taylor rival his effectiveness as an every down DE. After that, considering his actual impact during the game only makes it more obvious, IMO.

So you'd rather have Jared Allen then Julius Peppers......

penchief 03-04-2007 05:27 PM

Quote:

So you'd rather have Jared Allen then Julius Peppers......

At this point, yes.

jspchief 03-04-2007 05:28 PM

Quote:

At this point, yes.

And with that statement you've removed any credibility your argument might have had.

Mecca 03-04-2007 05:28 PM

Quote:

At this point, yes.

What kinda drugs did you do today because I'd like some.......

I hope no one else here thinks that way, otherwise it fully speaks to what I said about Jared Allen being heavily ovverated here.

penchief 03-04-2007 05:29 PM

Quote:

What kinda drugs did you do today because I'd like some.......

I hope no one else here thinks that way, otherwise it fully speaks to what I said about Jared Allen being heavily ovverated here.

I believe that Allen's best seasons are ahead of him. I don't think I can say that about Peppers.

Mecca 03-04-2007 05:33 PM

When next year starts.......Peppers is 27 and Allen is 25 there isn't some major age gap here, and they aren't RB's that decline rapidly when they hit a few years in the league.

milkman 03-04-2007 05:33 PM

Quote:

I believe that Allen's best seasons are ahead of him. I don't think I can say that about Peppers.

LMAO

Peppers is headed into his sixth season.
He's just now hitting his prime years.

Mecca 03-04-2007 05:35 PM

I just don't understand this........Jared Allen is a fine player, would start on basically every team. He's an upper echeleon player there is nothing wrong with that.

But trying to argue he's top 3 and better than Julius Peppers is just moronic.

penchief 03-04-2007 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman
LMAO

Peppers is headed into his sixth season.
He's just now hitting his prime years.

Well, I knew that would get a reaction but I said what I thought. I think Allen needs to grow up a little but I also think he's only going to get better. I'm not sure Peppers hasn't plateaued.

In fact, here's last years stats:

Sacks:
Peppers 13.0
Allen 7.5

Tackles:
Allen 77
Peppers 57

Solo Tackles:
Allen 65
Peppers 48

Assists:
Allen 12
Peppers 9

Forced Fumbles:
Peppers 3
Allen 3

Fumble Recoveries:
Allen 6
Pepprs 2

Interceptions:
Allen 1
Peppers 0

If you combine forced fumbles with fumble recoveries, Allen has 9 and Peppers has 5. If you just go with the fumble recoveries, Allen has four more. Then add the interception and that's a five "change of possession" difference. Add that to his sacks and you have 12.5 game changing plays, only .5 behind Peppers. Beyond that, one could also argue that changes of possession have more impact than plays that result in a loss of yardage.

I don't dispute that Peppers is a darn good end. But if you would have me trade even up (contract, age, potential, injury history, etc.), I'll take my chances with Allen.

Chiefs Pantalones 03-04-2007 06:07 PM

Quote:

I just don't understand this........Jared Allen is a fine player, would start on basically every team. He's an upper echeleon player there is nothing wrong with that.

But trying to argue he's top 3 and better than Julius Peppers is just moronic.

I agree.

htismaqe 03-04-2007 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FringeNC
Yeah, whatever. Not going to get into a debate about who the best talent evaluating publications are.

The team signing Jordan Black will read some good scouting reports and press clippings about him, too.

Signing free-agents isn't necessarily a good thing. Other teams are bidding on these guys, too. We bid the highest. Are we smarter than other teams, or...

Actually the only other team to offer him a contract was Miami. We were the 1st team he visited and he left with a contract.

htismaqe 03-04-2007 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix
You haven't seen some of these Dolphins O Lines over the last few years. One of those years, mmm....2004 maybe? they seriously had the absolute worst offensive line I've ever seen fielded by an NFL team. They were a double threat -- couldn't run and couldn't protect the QB.

I do think the pathetic OLine up there contributed to Ricky Williams "retirement" fiasco, along with his drug situation of course.

I've seen McIntosh and he's not going to remind you guys of any of the studs you've had on OLine the last few years, let me say that.

He struggled in 2004, as did the entire Miami line. And since then, he's given up ONE THIRD the sacks Jordan Black has, in TWICE as many games.

milkman 03-04-2007 06:21 PM

Quote:

Well, I knew that would get a reaction but I said what I thought. I think Allen needs to grow up a little but I also think he's only going to get better. I'm not sure Peppers hasn't plateaued.

In fact, here's last years stats:

Sacks:
Peppers 13.0
Allen 7.5

Tackles:
Allen 77
Peppers 57

Solo Tackles:
Allen 65
Peppers 48

Assists:
Allen 12
Peppers 9

Forced Fumbles:
Peppers 3
Allen 3

Fumble Recoveries:
Allen 6
Pepprs 2

Interceptions:
Allen 1
Peppers 0

If you combine forced fumbles with fumble recoveries, Allen has 9 and Peppers has 5. If you just go with the fumble recoveries, Allen has four more. Then add the interception and that's a five "change of possession" difference. Add that to his sacks and you have 12.5 game changing plays, only .5 behind Peppers. Beyond that, one could also argue that changes of possession have more impact than plays that result in a loss of yardage.

I don't dispute that Peppers is a darn good end. But if you would have me trade even up (contract, age, potential, injury history, etc.), I'll take my chances with Allen.

Ther is little question that Allen is among the top DEs in the NFL right now, but he hasn't yet achieved the consistency of a Julius Peppers yet, who has been among the top DEs since he was a rookie.

And I think it's a bit of a stretch to suggest that Peppers has reached his plateau.

He's still young, and still has growth potential.

In a couple of years, Allen could very well be in the elite group that Peppers is.

He's just not there yet.

Skyy God 03-04-2007 06:37 PM

Quote:

Thanks, Benedict Penchief. Now Allen's agent is going to read this and up his contract demands. Way to go.