ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto Owners of Toyota Cars in Rebellion Over Accidents Caused by Sudden acceleration. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=217516)

Pushead2 01-28-2010 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 6487841)
Close, very close.

ROFL

JD10367 01-28-2010 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 6487844)
yeah, and it is a Japanese designed part, that they had built by an American company.

OMG!!11! So it's not only a sneak attack, it's a SLEEPER CELL version of it!!! Dammit!!

whoaskew 01-28-2010 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 6486049)
Glad you and your girlfriend were not hurt. Did anyone give you the floor mat BS?

No, I didn't hear anyone blaming the floor mats. Hell, I hired a lawyer immediately after and haven't even heard from him since November.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 6486140)
Have you read this whole thread? I would be interested in your take on some of the comments in here, since you actually have experience with this issue.

Well, people keep posting what they would have done in the situation, but the truth is, noone knows until they are in it. It is easy to say "just throw it in neutral" when you are sitting in your computer chair, but the fact of the matter is that when you hit your brakes, you expect the car to stop. By the time you realize the brakes aren't slowing you down, it is already too late.

Bugeater 01-28-2010 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoaskew (Post 6488520)
No, I didn't hear anyone blaming the floor mats. Hell, I hired a lawyer immediately after and haven't even heard from him since November.

Well, people keep posting what they would have done in the situation, but the truth is, noone knows until they are in it. It is easy to say "just throw it in neutral" when you are sitting in your computer chair, but the fact of the matter is that when you hit your brakes, you expect the car to stop. By the time you realize the brakes aren't slowing you down, it is already too late.

Hmmm....interesting. That's the drum I've been beating through this whole thread, I know there's been at least a couple people who insisted the brakes would be able to overpower the engine.

007 01-28-2010 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmaddog (Post 6485798)
Most of my neighbors all work for Toyota here in Georgetown...what most of them are saying is to take it to your dealership and have them look at it. Not sure how good your relationship is with the dealer you purchased the car from. but make an appointment with them. (I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to sell you on a model that isn't being recalled)

Have you seen an indication of problems with the car?

mmaddog

Not a one. I have been very happy with it.

007 01-28-2010 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 6488537)
Hmmm....interesting. That's the drum I've been beating through this whole thread, I know there's been at least a couple people who insisted the brakes would be able to overpower the engine.

That is where it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. You would make them smoke for certain but I would think you would be able get stopped and shut off the car.

Bugeater 01-28-2010 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 6488655)
That is where it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. You would make them smoke for certain but I would think you would be able get stopped and shut off the car.

Once hydraulic fluid reaches a certain temperature, it fails. And it doesn't take as long as you think it would with the kind of friction we're talking about here. It may vary depending on the amount of power the car has and the speed you're traveling at as well, but from the pics of whoaskew's incident it doesn't appear that he was going very fast.

whoaskew 01-29-2010 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 6488537)

I agree with you and I think everyone else is missing the proverbial "elephant in the room." In real life we are not all "professional drivers on a closed track" like the disclaimer says at the bottom of every car commercial.

Give me an infinitely long road, and I am sure the brakes would eventually slow the engine down, or I'll run out of gas, or something else will happen to make the car eventually stop.

In the real world, there is an unlimited supply of idiot drivers in front, behind, and besides you, as well as some more in the oncoming lane. There are also street poles, parked cars, and in my particular case brick buildings that would put a quick end to any engine and brakes tug-o-war experiments.

Pushead2 01-29-2010 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoaskew (Post 6488696)
I agree with you and I think everyone else is missing the proverbial "elephant in the room." In real life we are not all "professional drivers on a closed track" like the disclaimer says at the bottom of every car commercial.

Give me an infinitely long road, and I am sure the brakes would eventually slow the engine down, or I'll run out of gas, or something else will happen to make the car eventually stop.

In the real world, there is an unlimited supply of idiot drivers in front, behind, and besides you, as well as some more in the oncoming lane. There are also street poles, parked cars, and in my particular case brick buildings that would put a quick end to any engine and brakes tug-o-war experiments.

this

ILWarpaint 01-29-2010 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 6252254)
Really, all of this is just simple-minded, irrational hatred for superior products, brought on by unjustified feelings of loyalty toward dying, deadhead companies. Dead from the neck up. All it really elicits from me at this point is a chuckle.

Where's Brock?

HemiEd 01-29-2010 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILWarpaint (Post 6489104)
Where's Brock?

He washed his hands of this issue, since he is so very wrong.

They had an interview with the biggest Toyota dealer in Chicago last night. He said he did not have a single customer shop his place yesterday. Wow, that has got to hurt.

ILWarpaint 01-29-2010 11:20 AM

Yeah, that has to hurt. This can actually affect ALL car dealers (new and used).

Regardless of whether you are a Toyota dealer, if you have any of the recalled vehicles in your sale inventory, IADA urges you not to sell them until we are able to provide further guidance. The federal law does not specifically prohibit the sale of used vehicles subject to a recall as it does for new vehicles. However, sale of a vehicle with the knowledge that it was subject to a recall could expose you to significant liability. If the vehicle is involved in a collision, you could be sued for negligence for selling a vehicle that you knew, or should have known, was subject to recall.

vailpass 01-29-2010 12:28 PM

Got this e-mail from Budget today:

Yesterday Budget announced that it was removing all of the vehicles identified for recall by Toyota from its corporate fleet in the US, Canada, and Puerto Rico. This step was taken to protect the safety of our customers, which is always our top priority.

It is important to note that the safety problems that have led to Toyota’s recall of certain vehicles are believed to arise out of usage over time. Accordingly, we believe that all of the Toyota vehicles in our fleet are safe, given the regular maintenance and the low mileage of our overall fleet.

We also want to reassure you that the affected Toyotas represent only a small percentage of our overall fleet, so we expect to be able to fulfill all projected demand and you can continue to make reservations with complete confidence for any rental occasion. Our fleet strategy emphasizes diversity so that we are able to respond to the full range of vehicle rental needs of our customers, as well as to reduce our risk from any issues arising out of any individual manufacturer.

We further want to emphasize that only certain Toyota makes and models, in addition to the Pontiac Vibe, are affected by the recall. Those Toyota vehicles that are not affected will continue to be offered for rental; however, if you are uncomfortable driving a Toyota vehicle, we will make every effort to offer you an alternative vehicle if one is available.

Our commitment to customer safety is also behind our decision to offer what we believe is the youngest and lowest-mileage fleet in the vehicle rental industry. Whether you place as high a premium on safety as we do, or whether you just like driving new cars, either way Budget continues to be your best car rental choice.

Thank you for continuing to choose Budget for your vehicle rental needs.

Sincerely,

Thomas M. Gartland
Executive Vice President

ILWarpaint 01-29-2010 12:34 PM

"however, if you are uncomfortable driving a Toyota vehicle, we will make every effort to offer you an alternative vehicle if one is available."

:^)

Bill Lundberg 02-01-2010 03:09 PM

How not to return your Toyota:

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/83184417.html

Quote:

Man’s truck strikes BR Toyota dealership

A man who attempted to return his recalled Toyota pickup truck to All Star Toyota on Airline Highway on Saturday crashed into the dealership building when his allegedly faulty accelerator stuck, the Baton Rouge Police Department reported.
The crash caused extensive damage to the truck involved, but no major injuries were reported, said Lt. Todd G. Lee Sr., chief of administrative services for the Police Department.
Mikel Valviva sought to return his truck to the dealership at 9150 Airline Highway, saying he no longer wanted it because of the recall on the accelerator, Lee said.
The dealership’s manager, Joe Costanza, offered to repair Valviva’s truck and loan him a car in the meantime, Lee said.
Matt McKay, owner of the All Star Automotive Group, said Costanza explained to Valviva on three separate occasions on Saturday that the dealership could not refund his money for the truck.
McKay said the process during the recall requires dealerships to provide a loaner car while the recalled vehicle is repaired.
Valviva refused the offers and tried to leave the dealership, but his gas pedal stuck, Lee said. The truck accelerated forward, striking the building, Lee said.
EMS personnel treated Valviva and his passenger for minor injuries on scene, Lee said.
McKay said a cosmetic column on the building received only minor damage.
Costanza confirmed Valviva’s truck is one of the models included in the recall, Lee said.
The investigating officer found no evidence the incident was intentional, Lee said.
“He didn’t have enough evidence to say that definitively,” Lee said.
McKay said he had “no comment” when asked if he believed the incident was accidental.
This is the first report of an accident caused by a faulty accelerator on a Toyota in the Greater Baton Rouge area, Lee said.
McKay said Valviva bought the truck in March 2009, and he had “no previous complaints or issues with the gas pedal.”
Attempts by The Advocate to reach Valviva on Saturday afternoon were unsuccessful.
Toyota Motor Co. said Tuesday it was suspending the sale of eight models and recalling more than 2 million cars because the gas pedals could become harder to press, slower to spring back or stuck.
Sean Kane, director of Safety Research and Strategies, a consumer group that conducts research into motor vehicle safety issues, said his firm has identified 2,274 incidents of sudden unintended acceleration in Toyota vehicles leading to at least 275 crashes and 18 deaths since 1999, the Associated Press reported.