ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Iron Man 3 (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=260112)

unlurking 05-08-2013 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wallcrawler (Post 9668639)
Considering that they just shit all over the Mandarin, and there's no way that in the current continuity they can just "undo" that and actually get the real Mandarin into a film, there's not really much left to do for Iron Man that hasnt already been done.

Bring him in for Avengers 2 to team up and square off against Thanos, but as far as more Iron Man films, there's only so much of this you can do before it becomes stale. IM 1 was brilliant. 2 had a lot of action but was a bit of a letdown and 3....well lets just say Im putting IM 3 in that same little file along with Spider-Man 3, and X-3. Movies that just forgot where they came from and took a giant crap on the fans of the comics.

Id like RDJ back for Avengers 2, but as far as more Iron Man films, just stop before they get any worse IMO.

Minus the Spidey comparison, this.

The entire second half of the movie I couldn't stop thinking...

"Is that it? Is that really the Mandarin? He's got to be trying to fool Iron Man. Are we going to see him again? Was that really it?!"

I kept waiting for a news reporter scene similar to the way the movie started showing shots of an explosion at a prison and reports that the Mandarin escaped, dozens dead. I wondered if maybe the Mandarin was somewhere on shore or offshore watching the final combat scenes.

Yes it was a fun movie, but they never should have used the Mandarin. He was a pointless character the way he was used. They could have come up with any throw away character. No excuse for destroying the character like that.

I too hope Iron Man 3 was the last we'll see of Tony Stark (well, and Avengers 2). Villians are as important to a storyline as the hero.

Chiefspants 05-08-2013 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonGekko (Post 9668866)
**** Chris Hemsworth, dude is making bank and is getting set for life on these movies and he is upset about having to bulk up?

Pretty rediculous how much Downey is raking in, I love him in the part but $50m - $80m seems outrageous.

I've read reports that it's more of a financial issue for hemsworth. He made around 150k from the avengers and marvel reportedly made a similar offer for the sequel.

Buehler445 05-08-2013 08:40 PM

Avengers is a ****ing golden goose. RDJ should get less, some others should get more. There should be concessions on both ends because nobody wants to be the one to kill the golden goose.

BWillie 05-08-2013 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonton Prejudice (Post 9665542)
Hahaha. The nerd rage is palpable.

Don't really care about the comic books. It was a great movie, and easily the best Iron Man movie. Never liked the first one past the origin story, and the second one had weak villains, as entertaining as it was.

No kidding. Ppl actually still read comic books LOLLOLOL whut

unlurking 05-09-2013 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 9670091)
No kidding. Ppl actually still read comic books LOLLOLOL whut

These characters are decades old. This isn't about our current reading material (I can't remember the last time I read a comic book). This is about stomping on our childhood dreams!!!
:cuss: :D

kaplin42 05-09-2013 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravedigger (Post 9660841)
I don't know how to put this but this movie was the worst of the three. The rest of my rant/review will be in spoilers so if you click it it's your fault.

Spoiler!

Usually I love comic book movies. I understand the unbelievable nature of them, take them for what they're worth, and come out saying they were good to great. This was a 7/10 and that's being generous.

Spoiler!

Quote:

Originally Posted by beach tribe (Post 9661601)
If I didnt know shit about IM or Marvel and liked movies of the Transformers ilk, I would say this movie was decent.
That said, I can not be more disappointed with this shit. Worst of the three.

I know I'm going to get burned for this, but I liked transformers I & II. They weren't great movies, but they were the kind of check your brain at the door and smile at the pretty colors type of films that I enjoy. On top of that, I don't know much about the Iron Man comics, and I still agree with you, this movie was terrible.

The Franchise 05-09-2013 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 9670384)
These characters are decades old. This isn't about our current reading material (I can't remember the last time I read a comic book). This is about stomping on our childhood dreams!!!
:cuss: :D

Has ANY movie fully followed the comic books to a T? Not that I can think of. What people have to realize is that these companies aren't making these movies to satisfy the comic nerds. They're doing it to draw in EVERYONE.

Shit....even Nolan's Batman sucked if you look at it from a strictly "follow the comic book" view.

unlurking 05-09-2013 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9670599)
Has ANY movie fully followed the comic books to a T? Not that I can think of. What people have to realize is that these companies aren't making these movies to satisfy the comic nerds. They're doing it to draw in EVERYONE.

Shit....even Nolan's Batman sucked if you look at it from a strictly "follow the comic book" view.

Oh, I agree completely. I just think that stepping on the Mandarin was stupid and overboard.

The Mandarin was a draw to the comic nerds, not the common movie goer. No reason to even use him like that, since the EVERYONE group would have been just as happy with any costumed idiot, not knowing who the Mandarin is. It was basically a big "**** you" to the comic nerds if you ask me. The Mandarin was not needed to draw in the EVERYONE group, but he was highly anticipated by the comic nerds.

bowener 05-09-2013 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 9671124)
Oh, I agree completely. I just think that stepping on the Mandarin was stupid and overboard.

The Mandarin was a draw to the comic nerds, not the common movie goer. No reason to even use him like that, since the EVERYONE group would have been just as happy with any costumed idiot, not knowing who the Mandarin is. It was basically a big "**** you" to the comic nerds if you ask me. The Mandarin was not needed to draw in the EVERYONE group, but he was highly anticipated by the comic nerds.

I agree with this. It was a cheap ploy to get the fan boys to spend their money, nothing more. The script was shit, so I can imagine at one point The Mandarin was probably a legit bad guy, but they couldn't figure out how to get the glowing orange human dragons to fit with that story line, so they gave AIM main billing and made The Mandarin a puppet, for which they probably patted themselves on the back for being "geniuses". It was a convoluted mess of a script with pretty bad direction. If it wasn't for RDJ this movie would be forever relegated to the shit heap (and that is why RDJ gets paid $35 million for this movie).

The Franchise 05-09-2013 03:47 PM

Fan boys were going to see this movie whether it had Mandarin in it or not.

Chiefs Pantalones 05-09-2013 04:12 PM

The wife and I saw this on Monday we were disappointed. Not good IMO, very forgettable.

unlurking 05-09-2013 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9671340)
Fan boys were going to see this movie whether it had Mandarin in it or not.

True, which makes the decision to neuter the Mandarin and piss them off even dumber. There was absolutely no reason for wasting such a great villain on a lame attempt at a plot twist.

unlurking 05-09-2013 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowener (Post 9671326)
I agree with this. It was a cheap ploy to get the fan boys to spend their money, nothing more. The script was shit, so I can imagine at one point The Mandarin was probably a legit bad guy, but they couldn't figure out how to get the glowing orange human dragons to fit with that story line, so they gave AIM main billing and made The Mandarin a puppet, for which they probably patted themselves on the back for being "geniuses". It was a convoluted mess of a script with pretty bad direction. If it wasn't for RDJ this movie would be forever relegated to the shit heap (and that is why RDJ gets paid $35 million for this movie).

It did seem to flounder after the "reveal", but I still enjoyed it. Probably because of RDJ. Well, as mentioned earlier, Piper was looking good too!

bowener 05-10-2013 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 9672364)
It did seem to flounder after the "reveal", but I still enjoyed it. Probably because of RDJ. Well, as mentioned earlier, Piper was looking good too!

Yeah there was a scene where I saw her stomach and literally said, "holy shit" out loud. I had no idea she was that fit/attractive.

unlurking 05-10-2013 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowener (Post 9673370)
Yeah there was a scene where I saw her stomach and literally said, "holy shit" out loud. I had no idea she was that fit/attractive.

Yeah, I think that part made me say, "Mandarin who?"