ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   KU **** OFFICIAL 2013-2014 Kansas Basketball Repository Thread, Part 2 **** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=280658)

Chiefs Pantalones 03-17-2014 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 10499176)
Hopefully Self calls Collins and Aldrich to talk to the guys and tell them what it's like to not put effort and get beat by a shit team.

I'd imagine what they have to say would resonate with the kids.

I wasn't confident in the 09-10 or 10-11 team underneath it all. Shoddy guard play throughout both years ended it before it began for those teams. And like this year, we need(ed) a good game from our PG (Collins) to go far in 09. He sucked against UNI. We needed outstanding games from him, Reed and Morningstar those years and it didn't happen in the dance. Guard play owns.

Silock 03-17-2014 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefs Pantalones (Post 10499085)
For some reason, after really thinking about it unbiasly, I'm not feeling too good about us surviving this weekend. And that's not just the second game, the first I'm kinda iffy. I don't know what it is, but it probably has something to do with a lack of pride to guard guys on defense and an inconsistent effort and energy on both sides of the ball, as Self has stated many times this year. I'm just used to our teams doing the opposite. Blame youth if you want, but usually it gets better as the year goes on. Kinda odd this year. So much talent but the effort isn't always there. I guess if you can't get up for a single elimination game then you deserve to go home. Hopefully I'm proven wrong.

I'm not worried. EKU is a 15 seed for a reason.

Yes, they shoot a lot of threes, but our problem guarding threes usually stems from teams driving inside, or passing inside, and us collapsing on them, and then not getting back to the guy who got the kickout. That won't be a problem with this team. They have NO inside presence. So, the guards will never have to help inside, which means they can just stay on their man. The only thing we'll have to worry about is running through screens that get the shooters open. That's not something you can really coach other than to say "Hey, don't sag off and go behind the screen; fight through it."

I'm not particularly worried. They don't rebound the ball. Like, at all. Even if they steal a few possessions and hit 45% of their threes, they will have NO answer inside. We should score on every possession. Even if we miss, they won't rebound the ball.

Silock 03-17-2014 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefs Pantalones (Post 10499230)
Guard play owns.

Right, and we have THE best guard in the nation. And another outstanding one in Selden. We'll be fine.

Chiefs Pantalones 03-17-2014 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 10499232)
Right, and we have THE best guard in the nation. And another outstanding one in Selden. We'll be fine.

I hope so man. I appreciate it your post made me feel better.

KC_Connection 03-17-2014 09:40 PM

I suspect EKU will use a lot of zone. I don't know how they'll be able to make any stops if they stick with mostly man defense. Ellis and Wiggins would destroy them.

Lzen 03-17-2014 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 10498282)
The NCAA trolls KU in other ways. They seem to love putting UNC in the same bracket as us every year.

Thankfully we have yet to lose to Roy in spite of the NCAA's best efforts.

And Georgetown

KC_Connection 03-17-2014 09:45 PM

Not to mention, there's no way they could stop Black or Traylor using man defense either.

Chiefs Pantalones 03-17-2014 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 10499242)
And Georgetown

I think they've given up on that finally now after we've beat them the last three times we've faced them lol.

Chiefs Pantalones 03-17-2014 09:53 PM

I think I speak for everyone when I say I'm shocked that this team hasn't improved that much on D throughout the year and from an effort standpoint. Self coached teams aren't supposed to be this crappy on D. Even Self said himself he's surprised that this team isn't that good on D he thought they'd be better on D than on O.

Lzen 03-17-2014 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefs Pantalones (Post 10499258)
I think they've given up on that finally now after we've beat them the last three times we've faced them lol.

And Georgetown is NIT bound this year

Buehler445 03-17-2014 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefs Pantalones (Post 10499283)
I think I speak for everyone when I say I'm shocked that this team hasn't improved that much on D throughout the year and from an effort standpoint. Self coached teams aren't supposed to be this crappy on D. Even Self said himself he's surprised that this team isn't that good on D he thought they'd be better on D than on O.

There are some bright spots. Selden Wiggins and Embiid are good defenders. Black too prior to picking up his 18th foul. But **** they don't play team defense well. Rotation is bad help side is bad. Situational awareness is bad. It's the team stuff that's bad.

Ellis and Tharpe are particularly poor on defense but I think the team aspects could hide that if they were worth a ****.

EDIT. And yes. I'm surprised.

Prison Bitch 03-17-2014 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 10499232)

It's not right anyway, since guard play is not nearly as valuable as post play is either in regular or post season.

Chiefs Pantalones 03-17-2014 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 10499356)
It's not right anyway, since guard play is not nearly as valuable as post play is either in regular or post season.

If that were true, I can name a number of teams that should've cut down the nets the last five years.

KU doesn't win it in 08 without magnificient guard play overall in the postseason. Same with Louisville and UConn in their national title winning years to name a few.

Silock 03-18-2014 01:02 AM

I don't think there's one aspect of a team that's more important than another. Balanced teams, both with a good post and good guard play tend to do very well. Unless, of course, they have Melo.

Lzen 03-18-2014 10:33 AM

Self interview with Scott Van Pelt.

http://t.co/OMfA8kY1eT