ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports The Fishing Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=223680)

Pablo 10-06-2023 06:40 PM

That's an absolute beaut. I caught one almost the exact same profile on the White River years back, but not throwing flies, I'm not that good!

Megatron96 10-06-2023 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 17150923)
I'd actually estimate it at around 21. The skinny one I have the picture of was an actual measured 19, and this one was significantly larger.

Most of the fish, including this, were caught on a size 18 micro may bead head drifted under a heavy poundmeister (a local pattern if a crane fly larvae).

Speaking of colors, I lost a very large cutthroat when it wrapped me around a rock. I saw it roll once a d it was such a beautiful red color...I'm really upset I lost that fish.

Right. I keep forgetting other people will fish flies other than dries, lol.

If you caught it in that pool behind you guys, then the double dropper makes a lot of sense. I'm assuming a decent flow rate and depth of more than 3-4 feet? Indicator or just high sticking/euro?

loochy 10-06-2023 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megatron96 (Post 17150955)
Right. I keep forgetting other people will fish flies other than dries, lol.

If you caught it in that pool behind you guys, then the double dropper makes a lot of sense. I'm assuming a decent flow rate and depth of more than 3-4 feet? Indicator or just high sticking/euro?

That river is mostly pocket water. It's strewn with boulders the size of a car and the water is generally quite fast. The rig has to be heeeavy to get down fast. The poundmeister was a. #8 with a tungsten head and lead wrapping. The lead fly was about 6 feet under the indicator. I couldn't euro there because the water was too deep to get close enough to the boulder and eddy. Some of those holes are definitely 15+ feet deep

There's not really traditional casting with a rig like that. It's more of a circular lob up and over

Easy 6 10-06-2023 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamTheIrish (Post 17150919)
Can’t defend the slant. That was just poor.,

*** yea, wrong thread.

What are you on about here, William?

Graystoke 10-06-2023 08:11 PM

Beautiful fish loochy. Man I love pocket water like that, and with that scenery? Wow!
What size did you say the indicator fly was?

Megatron96 10-06-2023 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 17150962)
That river is mostly pocket water. It's strewn with boulders the size of a car and the water is generally quite fast. The rig has to be heeeavy to get down fast. The poundmeister was a. #8 with a tungsten head and lead wrapping. The lead fly was about 6 feet under the indicator. I couldn't euro there because the water was too deep to get close enough to the boulder and eddy. Some of those holes are definitely 15+ feet deep

There's not really traditional casting with a rig like that. It's more of a circular lob up and over

Gotcha.

When I fished a lot of indicators, I ended up doing almost exclusively roll casts instead of anything overhead. A lot less tangling, and way easier to aim.

Those were your own ties?

loochy 10-06-2023 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graystoke (Post 17151039)
Beautiful fish loochy. Man I love pocket water like that, and with that scenery? Wow!
What size did you say the indicator fly was?

Wasn't an indicator fly, it was a double nymph rig. A #8 lead fly (poundmeister) with a #18 tungsten bead olive micro may. All that was drifted under an airlok indicator.

loochy 10-06-2023 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megatron96 (Post 17151050)
Gotcha.

When I fished a lot of indicators, I ended up doing almost exclusively roll casts instead of anything overhead. A lot less tangling, and way easier to aim.

Those were your own ties?

I couldn't even really roll cast it because the current pulled the heavy flies down. I'd have to make a first roll cast to get the flies up, then lob them over.

No, I don't have time to tie anymore! I get most of my flies now from big Y because they're affordable. I bought these flies from the local shop though because I like to support small business. I'll generally tie my own things that aren't stocked or tied well at big Y.

Megatron96 10-06-2023 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 17151059)
I couldn't even really roll cast it because the current pulled the heavy flies down. I'd have to make a first roll cast to get the flies up, then lob them over.

No, I don't have time to tie anymore! I get most of my flies now from big Y because they're affordable. I bought these flies from the local shop though because I like to support small business. I'll generally tie my own things that aren't stocked or tied well at big Y.

Yeah, with really heavy/long stuff I have to usually do a snake roll just to get the flies up, then a roll cast. Sometimes I have to aim about 6 feet above the water, if the rig is heavy/long enough.

i buy flies from Big Y too!

When i was in MT last summer we stopped in to this tiny little burg i don't remember the name of (Connor? Connell?) and they had a flyshop in a toolshed (maybe 18ft by 12ft?). The owner tied flies, and i bought a half dozen of these bullethead rubber-legged caddis just to support the shop, and coax him into giving me some decent info about the fishing. Dang things worked really well, but I forgot the name of the shop, so I can't order more, lol.

ptlyon 10-06-2023 09:55 PM

Good job loochy!

ChiefsFan63 10-08-2023 06:43 PM

I have never fished for trout, but those are beautiful fish. Congrats!

loochy 10-08-2023 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsFan63 (Post 17156232)
I have never fished for trout, but those are beautiful fish. Congrats!

Well try it some time! It's a more delicate way to fish...the fish are smaller, more fragile, and more wary than other freshwater fish.

ChiefsFan63 10-19-2023 07:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nothing big to brag about, but I had fun. The biggest is 16” and weighed right at 2 lbs. The smallest was 13” and really too small to keep, but I was craving fish tacos!

loochy 10-19-2023 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsFan63 (Post 17178134)
Nothing big to brag about, but I had fun. The biggest is 16” and weighed right at 2 lbs. The smallest was 13” and really too small to keep, but I was craving fish tacos!

What are water temps like up there?

ChiefsFan63 10-19-2023 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 17178217)
What are water temps like up there?

Fairly cool. I never actually check the water temp. I was fishing a slower pattern, more like early spring. A big bladed spinner fished very slow.

This pond is 6’ low. We need some rain bad!