ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Football's Future If the Players Win by Roger Goodell (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=244358)

Marcellus 04-26-2011 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 7593986)
#1 - Most of these Owners are benefiting off of public money. Taxpayers are investing in that enterprise. I think taxpayers have every right to ask how that is being spent

#2 - These owners are not "owners" in the same sense as the Private Sector. They belong to the NFL. The NFL gives them the league that creates the competition between owners that allows them to make money. And the NFL creates the massive licensing, endorsement rights, TV and media rights, etc... that teams share between each other.

#3 - If you're an owner and you restrict your employee's wages, your employee can rebel by finding a new job with an employer who will pay. In the NFL, the league has created a monopoly so players really have no other place to go. Hence, the reason for a union.

#4 - You can't compare players to factory workers. Factory workers can be replaced. You can't replace Peyton Manning with some guy off the street and expect to sell tickets that make you money

#5 - If you were commissioner, based on your approach, you would bleed the league dry.

Let's say you just gave $800,000,000 for the Redskins.

You feel like the league gives you anything?

How long do you suppose it takes to make back good $ on $800,000,000?

Edited: Snyder only gave 800,000,000 for the Redskins.

chiefzilla1501 04-26-2011 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simplex3 (Post 7592890)
There are millions of people that can play football and the owners don't require the best. They just require a competitive product.

There's a best dishwasher salesmen in the world. You don't see Sears or Best Buy in a bidding war to get that guy and paying him millions of dollars a year.

It's about Return on Investment.

If you pay a dishwasher salesman a million dollars to sell $100,000 dollars worth of dishwashers.... that is an enormously wasted expense, especially when you consider that a good chunk of that $100,000 went into production expenses to make dishwashers, costs to store/ship it, etc....

An investment in only 53 players can get 80,000 people on any given night to shell out over $100 to watch them. Even more when you factor in concessions and parking. A lot more when you factor in jersey sales and other licenses to merchandising.

C'mon, man. Are you really going to tell me that a dishwasher salesman brings even an ounce of the same money into the organization as Peyton Manning does for the Colts?

philfree 04-26-2011 08:27 PM

Quote:

#1 - Most of these Owners are benefiting off of public money. Taxpayers are investing in that enterprise. I think taxpayers have every right to ask how that is being spent
Don't the players make all their money from the same public funded facilities that the owners do? That's just a bad argument.

PhilFree:arrow:

KCBOSS1 04-26-2011 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 7593986)

#2 - These owners are not "owners" in the same sense as the Private Sector. They belong to the NFL. The NFL gives them the league that creates the competition between owners that allows them to make money. And the NFL creates the massive licensing, endorsement rights, TV and media rights, etc... that teams share between each other.

#3 - If you're an owner and you restrict your employee's wages, your employee can rebel by finding a new job with an employer who will pay. In the NFL, the league has created a monopoly so players really have no other place to go. Hence, the reason for a union.

#4 - You can't compare players to factory workers. Factory workers can be replaced. You can't replace Peyton Manning with some guy off the street and expect to sell tickets that make you money

#5 - If you were commissioner, based on your approach, you would bleed the league dry.

Well I exaggerated a little. That would be an extreme answer. But the stuff that the players are asking for will kill the league. They are clueless. I just want to have football long term and they cannot sustain the salary increase pace that they have been undergoing over the last 10 years.

So who fronted the money to buy the franchise? I'm not against sharing profits, just think the players' percentages should be dropped. This whole process is a delicate balance to maintain level competitive opportunities across the league which is what keeps the NFL interesting and the most popular sport in North America. Bottom line is that the league will not continue as it has been. Not the way the economy is trending, period. Most of the owners' requests are very fair and reasonable and would ultimately benefit the league across the board.

dirk digler 04-26-2011 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 7593978)
#1 - I don't believe that is at all true. For all this talk about parity, the MLB has done a great job of getting small market teams to do well and despite an enormous black eye the game suffered between steroid abuse and a strike years ago, the game is as popular as ever right now. The only teams that haven't had a chance at competing are the ones with shitty front offices, like the Royals. That doesn't have anything to do with money, necessarily.

#2 - Again, if it's truly the case that smaller market teams are struggling to make ends meet with the rising cap, then so be it. I doubt that's true. But if it is true, then make them prove it. If it's not true, then you need to keep raising the cap until players can eventually hit their true market value. There is definitely a ceiling. If everyone's team's payroll was $300M, I doubt any team would spend anywhere close to that. And yes, I believe that true market value is going to be higher than can be afforded. So yes, I agree that the salary cap needs to below a payroll's full "true market value." But given that players are getting short-changed by being paid less than their market value, they should try to get as close as they can to that number.

#3 - On the cap... I don't agree at all that restricting spending from big teams had much effect on parity. I would argue that parity is more driven by forcing cheapskate owners to actually invest in their teams. Look at the MLB--the Pittsburgh Pirates' owner doesn't care if he wins games. That ballpark makes a shitload of money and he doesn't have to pay anything in payroll. So no, a salary cap increase doesn't change parity as long as every team can actually afford the pay increases and as long as everyone's cap number increases by the same amount.

1. MLB is so good right now they are now in their 4th year of lower attendance. And you are stupid if you don't think money is the main problem in baseball.

2. WTF? The players are underpaid? Are you ****ing kidding me? You have fat Albert Haynesworth who maybe played 6 games last year getting a $100 million dollar contract. What a joke.

And yes smaller market teams are getting hurt by bigger market teams. I posted a piece about this exact same thing early in the thread.

3. The salary cap\salary floor along with revenue sharing is the main reason why football exploded in popularity because it evened the playing field for all teams and every year every team has a legit chance to win the SB. You can't say that about any other major sport.

chiefzilla1501 04-26-2011 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 7593994)

So when you buy a house for $200,000 (let's say you $200,000 down), you have no expectation that you're going to sell your house?

Dan Snyder shouldn't be expected to make $800M in profits. That would be outrageous. The investment is that between the selling price and all the money he makes every year off the franchise, he will end up over $800M. And yes, you'd be crazy to think he's not making an enormous amount of money when all is said and done.

Man, I wish I could invest in a stock that had probably close to a 100% chance of making money and a high % chance of making a killing.

tk13 04-26-2011 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCBOSS1 (Post 7593972)
I don't have time to read all of these threads, I just read the first few pages. But I can't believe some of the lack of common sense on this board. Everything that Goodell said is exactly right. If you worked for me in my business or any business, why should I ever have to open the books to you for you to see what I make. You work for me, I own the company....hence the term "owners". If there is not a salary cap and a draft, then the NFL will turn into the MLB and make farm clubs out of many of the teams, including KC. The rookie situation needed adjustments. They need to leave the season length the same and they need to set up a system to take care of retired players better. The players' profit sharing needs to drop. These guys are not factory union workers. They make more in one year than most union workers do in a lifetime. The owners should have locked them out...dumb jocks hiring a moronic lawyer. This guy makes Willie Upshaw look like a genius. They need to take a pay cut, let the rookies make $700G's first round $600G's second round, dropping incriments of $50G per draft round following assigned to their drafting teams for 2 years, able to negotiate in the second year. This stuff is easy solved, idiotic players. I'm a business owner. They can thank God I'm not commissioner. I would be for firing everybody, establishing the benefits and salary caps with the rest of the owners and the agreement that all players who want to return come back to the team that they are under contract with. If they don't want to, the ones that are rich enough can retire, the others can sell cars or insurance. They would crawling back to the negotation table with bells on in about 6 months.

I agree the owners have every right to tell the players to screw off and hire a bunch of scrubs if they want, they own the team. And I haven't really weighed in on the "showing the books" issues... I think you could make the argument they don't have to show the players the books. I also think they aren't doing it just because it won't help their cause with 1) the players or 2) the small market owners when they realize just how much Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder are pulling in each year, and that will start more fighting amongst the owners.

But, and I've made this argument before with people on here who run a business. It doesn't matter what business you own, this doesn't have to be football with millions of dollars at stake....

You start a business. Whether it's an auto shop, basket weaving, whatever. You hire the absolute best people in the world at that particular job. Whether it be a world class mechanic, world class basket weaver, whatever. There is literally nobody in the world better at that job. Your efficiency goes up, people start buying your product or service because they know you're the best. Profits go through the roof. You can't keep up with the customers, so you expand your shop... you use local tax breaks to expand your business, move into a brand new shop. You hire more workers, once again, among the best in the world. Your reputation is sterling, everybody comes to you because you are the best. Nobody else can touch you, they don't have the talent or resources... you can charge whatever you want. Your business is expanding every year.

Then you turn around and tell your employees that you're not making enough profit, and they're going to get a smaller share of the revenue. They flip out. You could get rid of them. Once you do that though, you no longer have the best of the best. Your efficiency goes down, there are more mistakes fixing cars, weaving baskets, whatever... your reputation takes a hit, people stop coming to you because now it's some hack working on their car. It's not worth the price they're paying. Now you've set up this huge business model and are charging exorbitant prices for work that is no longer world class quality

Of course, if you think that NFL players are not the most talented in the world, then all that really doesn't hold water. Then you just go out and find all the guys with an equivalent skill/speed/talent level to guys like Peyton Manning, Jamal Charles, Calvin Johnson that are sitting on the street right now not playing football.

Just Passin' By 04-26-2011 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCBOSS1 (Post 7594006)
Well I exaggerated a little. That would be an extreme answer. But the stuff that the players are asking for will kill the league. They are clueless. I just want to have football long term and they cannot sustain the salary increase pace that they have been undergoing over the last 10 years.

So who fronted the money to buy the franchise? I'm not against sharing profits, just think the players' percentages should be dropped. This whole process is a delicate balance to maintain level competitive opportunities across the league which is what keeps the NFL interesting and the most popular sport in North America. Bottom line is that the league will not continue as it has been. Not the way the economy is trending, period. Most of the owners' requests are very fair and reasonable and would ultimately benefit the league across the board.

The NFL didn't even have a salary cap prior to 1994. To claim that this would mark the death knell for the league is absurd.

alnorth 04-26-2011 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 7593994)

that cash wasn't fed into a shredder. You can sell at any time and probably get back equal or more than what you paid.

That 800 million Snyder put in still exists and is appreciating and/or returning income.

chiefzilla1501 04-26-2011 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philfree (Post 7593999)
Don't the players make all their money from the same public funded facilities that the owners do? That's just a bad argument.

PhilFree:arrow:

No. Absolutely not. Not if the owner is taking a disproportionate share of revenue increases. The owner doesn't have a cap on how much $'s he can collect. The players do.

alnorth 04-26-2011 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 7593679)
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/image...or/menupop.gif
Personally I don't think the owners want to make the books public because they don't know what each other are doing and making and they don't want to start infighting or disclosing personal info that may not be flattering to them in front of other owners and media.

That is just tough shit, they need to either get over that hangup or sell out. In every other sport, every team knows every ugly dirty detail of every other team, and it is NOT unreasonable for the NFLPA to expect full disclosure before agreeing to concessions. If the NFL doesn't want to do what every other major sport does, then fine. Have fun competing without a draft and without ANY player control.

Marcellus 04-26-2011 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 7594037)
that cash wasn't fed into a shredder. You can sell at any time and probably get back equal or more than what you paid.

That 800 million Snyder put in still exists and is appreciating and/or returning income.

I don't have time to look up the article but a corporate accountant did an article on this very subject and pretty much proved the franchises are not worth what is claimed by Forbes.

Selling would be a bitch especially right now in the current state of the banking market and economy.

Titty Meat 04-26-2011 08:44 PM

Al you smashed this thread. I don't feel like going through all 22 pages but whats your prediction moving forward?

kysirsoze 04-26-2011 08:48 PM

I'm pretty sure most players are in favor of a salary cap because it comes with a salary floor. Even if it's done away with, as long as the profit sharing stays intact, competitive balance can be maintained. (Although there are a few owners looking to do away with profit sharing as it is.)

The NBA has a salary cap and it is as bad as baseball when it comes to competitive balance. The reason, IMO, lies largely in the style of the game. While it takes stars to win in any sport, football is much more team oriented than either of those sports.

I'm not saying Goodell doesn't make a couple good points. The wide open free agency market would be detrimental to the game, but I think the apocalyptic future he paints is pretty laughable.

KCBOSS1 04-26-2011 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 7594032)
The NFL didn't even have a salary cap prior to 1994. To claim that this would mark the death knell for the league is absurd.

The game is different than it was in 1994. Money levels and exposure are completely different. In 1986, the baseball markets were also much more competitive...the Royals won the World Series. Since the 90's smaller market baseball clubs have become basically farm clubs. The smaller market teams that make a decent run can't sustain because the following year, their players are bought out from under them by the Yankees, the Red Sox or the Dodgers.

The NFL has been the best run professional sports business in the country. I'm just saying that most of the conditions suggested by the owners seem very reasonable, practical and good for the league as a whole.