ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Need advice on cutting cable cost. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271843)

ragedogg69 01-03-2015 12:43 PM

Also, anyone heard of or use Pulsar? http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=200957

Sounds like the best of both worlds.

Miles 01-03-2015 04:29 PM

I probably should read this thread. Stuck with Time Warner monopoly in my condo complex that results in a painful $200 per month for one TV DVR and 30 Mbps internet. ****ing hate Time Warner and there merger with Comcast isn't going to make them better.

aturnis 01-10-2015 05:31 PM

http://www.iflscience.com/technology...sktop-computer

http://www.iflscience.com/sites/www....?itok=-Tds6eT4

It was announced this week at the 2015 International Consumer Electronics Show (CES) that Intel is ready to ship its new device that is capable of turning an ordinary HDTV into a functional desktop computer. Intel’s Compute Stick plugs right into the HDMI port on your TV, instantly turning it into a system running Windows 8.1 for only $149. The Compute Stick is due to be released in March.

The Windows-based Compute Stick boasts a quad-core Atom Intel CPU, 2GB of RAM, and 32GB of memory. There will also a less expensive, Linux-based version of the Compute Stick that will go for $89. This version isn’t quite as powerful, with 1GB of RAM and 8GB of memory. Both models are enabled to support wireless Internet and Bluetooth. The Bluetooth can be used to connect the keyboard and mouse you’ll need to operate the computer.

The device itself is about four inches long, roughly the same size as a Chromecast. Just like the Chromecast, it needs to be powered via its mini USB port, though future versions of the Compute Stick may provide power through the HDMI port. There is also a USB port as well as a slot for a microSD card capable of providing up to 128GB of extra storage.

This probably won’t be enough power for those who need a computer for gaming or photo editing, as it’s more on par with a tablet or netbook rather than a full laptop or desktop computer. This does make for a good secondary computer for ordinary daily activities such as word processing, checking social media, or streaming YouTube or Netflix (which has the added bonus of being on a much bigger monitor than the average desktop). Because the Compute Stick is easy to set up and carry around, it also makes a great option for individuals who frequently travel.

Beyond individual consumers, businesses can take advantage of the versatile Compute Stick as well. The device can function as an inexpensive thin-client, which could be advantageous for small or up-and-coming companies. Digital kiosks around the office or at trade shows can provide static or streaming content in HD resolution.

Matt Safford from Popular Science also points out that the Compute Stick could be a great solution for schools and impoverished areas around the globe who are forced to use outdated and slow computing equipment for economical reasons.

More details about the full capabilities of the Compute Stick will be available as the March release date draws closer.

Scorp 01-10-2015 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragedogg69 (Post 11239344)
Also, anyone heard of or use Pulsar? http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=200957

Sounds like the best of both worlds.

It works wonderfully. It downloads a hd movie in about a minute for me. The trick is don't install too many providers or the links will fail. I stick to 5 max.

DMAC 01-12-2015 02:00 PM

Cuttin the cord this month.

kepp 01-21-2015 10:13 AM

So, it's probably been covered in this thread, but I don't feel like scouring 22 pages...I want to stream video from a PC to my Roku. What's the best way to do this?

EDIT: So a quick google search directed me to Plex Media Server using the Plex Roku channel. All comments I read said to go with Plex.

Jerm 01-21-2015 04:41 PM

So I'm seriously considering cutting the cord as well...my two big concerns are basically sports and local channels.

What are some solutions in those regards? Mainly worried about local teams and CFB because now that you can get Sunday Ticket ala carte I will do that. I'm thinking MLB.tv for the Royals but don't they black out local games? Not having ESPN would suck too...

DMAC 01-21-2015 04:42 PM

Local channels would require a crazy contraption called an antenna.

You have to stream Royals games unless it's on local. Live sports makes it tough.

Jerm 01-21-2015 04:55 PM

See I thought if I got the MLB.tv package that would take care of it but I'm hoping they have the blackout isse fixed for this season....

kepp 01-22-2015 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kepp (Post 11283850)
So, it's probably been covered in this thread, but I don't feel like scouring 22 pages...I want to stream video from a PC to my Roku. What's the best way to do this?

EDIT: So a quick google search directed me to Plex Media Server using the Plex Roku channel. All comments I read said to go with Plex.

So I set up Plex last night...super easy. Do recommend.

007 01-23-2015 06:07 PM

Hey Fish, what were the resolvers we needed to disable to make searches faster on this. Was it Realdbrid and alldbrid?

Fish 01-23-2015 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 11288720)
Hey Fish, what were the resolvers we needed to disable to make searches faster on this. Was it Realdbrid and alldbrid?

Well that applied to a situation a long time ago, but yes it was RealDebrid and AllDebrid. You should always disable those unless you have an account with them. Which is mostly worthless.

If you're suffering from the recent issue where you click a title and it says working for 5 minutes before displaying a list of links, you can simply click cancel/back/esc after 10 seconds and try a second time and it will pop right up. There's an issue with URLResolver at the moment causing that. But they're working on it and it should be fixed soon.

007 01-23-2015 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 11288754)
Well that applied to a situation a long time ago, but yes it was RealDebrid and AllDebrid. You should always disable those unless you have an account with them. Which is mostly worthless.

If you're suffering from the recent issue where you click a title and it says working for 5 minutes before displaying a list of links, you can simply click cancel/back/esc after 10 seconds and try a second time and it will pop right up. There's an issue with URLResolver at the moment causing that. But they're working on it and it should be fixed soon.

thanks

007 01-23-2015 06:46 PM

I'm running into a lot of dead links in 1 channel lately. Getting annoying trying to find a link that works.

ragedogg69 01-24-2015 06:05 PM

Has 1channel added 'auto play' like Genesis did? You highlight the episode you want to watch and then bring up the context menu. Selecting auto play will have xbmc automatically try each link until one works. Usually in 20 seconds, I am watching the episode. (SD only) It completely changed how much I enjoy the Genesis addon.