ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Cardinals ****Official 2014 STL Cardinals thread **** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=278302)

BigRedChief 03-05-2014 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VAChief (Post 10468552)
The only complaint is on Fox game of the week days you get blacked out no matter who is playing.

I think this is the last year of the Fox News exclusive blackout on Saturdays. I think they finally figured out it didn't increase their audience and took away the possible audience of the other games.

rolltide2014 03-06-2014 09:37 PM

Ken Rosenthal reported today that they're really close to an extension with Matt Carpenter, rumored to be around 6 years, $55 million, buying out his last pre-arb year, all 3 arb-eligible years, and his first 2 FA years. It would run through the 2018 season when he'd be 33. Seems like pretty fair numbers on both sides IMO

BigRedChief 03-06-2014 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolltide2014 (Post 10471303)
Ken Rosenthal reported today that they're really close to an extension with Matt Carpenter, rumored to be around 6 years, $55 million, buying out his last pre-arb year, all 3 arb-eligible years, and his first 2 FA years. It would run through the 2018 season when he'd be 33. Seems like pretty fair numbers on both sides IMO

Yep, we got ourselfs a trend. player gets guaranteed money. The team gets another couple of years of control. Doesn't have to go into a room and tell then arbitrator how much their player sucks. I bet Carpenter never thought he would make $55 million playing baseball.

The non Pujols signing keeps paying benefits. No way this happens if we would have signed Pujols.

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-06-2014 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raybec 4 (Post 10468238)
I just hope we can find a way to fill the gaps for his shitty range in the field.

Jhonny Peralta is as good a defensive SS as Kozma.

Simply Red 03-06-2014 11:35 PM

I'm really just NOT excited about the game starting up - hoping that'll change w/ some early momentum in the division.

Perineum Ripper 03-07-2014 04:27 AM

Did any of you guys hear about Pujols meltdown when some reporter asked him something about Trouts numbers being better than his..Pujols freaked out..I used to like the dude but ever since he left StL he looks more and more like a bag of dicks

raybec 4 03-07-2014 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 10471450)
Jhonny Peralta is as good a defensive SS as Kozma.

It's entirely possible I have it wrong, but I believe his range to be inferior in comparison to Koz. I hope he and Wong can be a good up the middle combo

BigRedChief 03-07-2014 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raybec 4 (Post 10471567)
It's entirely possible I have it wrong, but I believe his range to be inferior in comparison to Koz. I hope he and Wong can be a good up the middle combo

We need more offense. Hopefully Borgus in CF and Carpenter at 3B will improve our defense. No way are we going to have that sky high RISP% this year.

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-07-2014 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 10472644)
We need more offense. Hopefully Borgus in CF and Carpenter at 3B will improve our defense. No way are we going to have that sky high RISP% this year.

Jay was a league average hitter last year, as was Freese. Kozma was 50 wRC below average. He had one of the three worst offensive seasons in the history of the organization. The difference between Kozma and Jhonny Peralta is equivalent to the difference between Jon Jay and Mike Trout. That's not hyperbole, either; that's statistically defensible.

You cannot understate how large of an offensive chasm Kozma was. I'll put it this way: If Matt Carpenter were to turn into Jon Jay offensively this year, we would still be 20 percent ahead of the difference between Kozma and Peralta.

BigRedChief 03-07-2014 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 10472886)
You cannot understate how large of an offensive chasm Kozma was.

This part of the line up killed us last year.
Freese
Jay
Kozma
Pitcher

I like
Carpenter
Peralta
Holliday
Craig
Molina
Adams
Bourgas
Wong
Pitcher

If Wong fails, Ellis is a serviceable 2B for a year. If Adams fails/gets hurt or Craig gets hurt, we have Taveras warming up in AAA. Mo has done a damn good job on paper this year.

Jewish Rabbi 03-07-2014 09:48 PM

I don't know that I like Peralta in the 2 spot, but not sure who else we'd put there.

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-07-2014 09:54 PM

Ideally, Carpenter hits second and Peralta hits 7th. I don't think you want Wong leading off, because that would start the lineup out lefty-lefty. If Bourjos is closer to the guy he looked like in 2011, then he's a capable lead-off hitter, but that's probably pollyannaish. If Adams grows as a hitter instead of looking like a platoon player, then he should probably hit fifth.

BigRedChief 03-07-2014 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi (Post 10472922)
I don't know that I like Peralta in the 2 spot, but not sure who else we'd put there.

Bourgas would be great in the lead off and Carpenter and his doubles hitting 2nd. or Borgas hitting 2nd and his speed in front of the big boppers. Maybe pitchers rush, pay too much attention to him instead of Holliday/Craig.

obviously that won't happen unless Bourgas gets his OBP% up around .325 or better.

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-07-2014 10:06 PM

Bourjos' eye isn't quite good enough to be a leadoff hitter. His walk rate is 5.5%, which is worse than every other starter last year, save Molina. However, he's got serviceable wheels. Honestly, he's probably the kind of guy you want hitting 7th, and when he gets on he can steal second and hope two productive outs or a good AB from the 8 hole gets him in. Or if he hits 8, send him and then have the pitcher bunt him over to turn the lineup over.

Mi_chief_fan 03-08-2014 07:39 AM

I actually think Yadi is the best choice they have to hit second, but his propensity to hit into a double play would be the biggest draw back.

BTW-Wong swung the bat very well yesterday, and his glove already looks fantastic. Martinez pitched well, too. I'm hoping he wins the 5th starter role.

And by all means Mo, get Marp locked up!