ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Must Watch Series (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=258883)

keg in kc 01-21-2017 03:32 PM

Most of the stuff I like gets cancelled, no box here. The general public doesn't seem to like anything more challenging than Keeping Up With the Real Housewives of American Idle Shore.

Buehler445 01-22-2017 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 12700836)
Was wondering if anyone had watched that yet.

Thinking about watching Frontier on Netflix, as well.

Caught the first episode, it looks freaking excellent.

NewChief 01-25-2017 06:05 PM

Frontier: what a dud. Great concept but the execution is like a cable version of Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman.

I was hoping it would be gritty and historical like the Revenant (which I'm sure is what got this thing made). The travel times are awful, the Native Americans are a matriarchy, and the general feel is just hokey, imo. I'm through episode 3 but may bow out.

unlurking 01-25-2017 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 12708950)
Frontier: what a dud. Great concept but the execution is like a cable version of Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman.

I was hoping it would be gritty and historical like the Revenant (which I'm sure is what got this thing made). The travel times are awful, the Native Americans are a matriarchy, and the general feel is just hokey, imo. I'm through episode 3 but may bow out.

The reviews on Netflix are mostly horrible. Was waiting to see if that was just an early take.

Buehler445 01-25-2017 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 12708950)

That's where I'm at. I'm far less harsh than you. Maybe its just my man crush on Jason Mamoa.

I'm interested in the relationships and the dynamics.

Miles 01-25-2017 10:02 PM

The Night Manager popped up on Amazon a little while back and finally got around to watching. Really enjoyed and guess missing on AMC helped add some stuff that would have been edited.

mikeyis4dcats. 01-26-2017 01:47 PM

really quite enjoyed Travelers on Netflix

Pitt Gorilla 01-26-2017 01:54 PM

I'm currently really enjoying Man Seeking Woman on Fx. Of course, I really like most of their comedic lineup.

NewChief 01-26-2017 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 12710479)
really quite enjoyed Travelers on Netflix

Travelers was excellent. P

unlurking 01-26-2017 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 12710493)
I'm currently really enjoying Man Seeking Woman on Fx. Of course, I really like most of their comedic lineup.

I enjoyed it too, but most people I know aren't fans of Jay Baruchel. To be honest, I'm not really either. He does fit this style comedy though, and Eric Andre is great.

Fansy the Famous Bard 02-08-2017 08:01 PM

Just watched the first episode of the Expanse.

Awesome.

Beef Supreme 02-08-2017 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fahrenheit (Post 12733677)
Just watched the first episode of the Expanse.

Awesome.

I binged season one on Amazon Prime over a long weekend. It definitely qualifies as must watch.

KChiefs1 02-09-2017 01:11 PM

Just finished Stranger Things on Netflix.

Pretty good sci-fi show set in the 80's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WilliamTheIrish 02-09-2017 07:17 PM

If you guys are old enough to remember the magazine National Lampoon, there is a very good documentary called Drunk,Stoned, Brillliant, Dead.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1674785/

The film is about National Lampoon magazine, and how the magazine and its empire of spin-offs changed the course of comedy and humor. It's a great story of the magazine was founded with interviews writers, editors artists.

It also has some incredible footage and audio with most of the SNL cast of the 70's and 80's who got their really big breaks when they came over from Second City comedy to NL radio.

For me, it was a tremendous trip down memory lane, learning a great deal about the magazine, its triumphs and its ultimate demise.

Baby Lee 02-09-2017 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamTheIrish (Post 12735394)
If you guys are old enough to remember the magazine National Lampoon, there is a very good documentary called Drunk,Stoned, Brillliant, Dead.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1674785/

The film is about National Lampoon magazine, and how the magazine and its empire of spin-offs changed the course of comedy and humor. It's a great story of the magazine was founded with interviews writers, editors artists.

It also has some incredible footage and audio with most of the SNL cast of the 70's and 80's who got their really big breaks when they came over from Second City comedy to NL radio.

For me, it was a tremendous trip down memory lane, learning a great deal about the magazine, its triumphs and its ultimate demise.

It's great, almost the point of overkill. It's neat that the use the narration over montage method to tell a lot of the story, but don't expect to casually watch it. So many of the images that flash by deserve to be paused an perused in depth. They really stuffed a lot of material into this in a compellingly coherent manner.