ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Teicher:Prodded by Andy Reid, Chiefs QB Alex Smith learning to be more aggressive (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=273618)

Sorter 06-18-2013 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9759879)
the only chance we have is leap frogging Denver for the division and thats not gonna happen until Peyton retires or gets hurt.

We arent taking a wildcard spot from any of the teams with proven consistency; Colts, Texans, Steelers, Bengals, Ravens and then you have a stacked team like the Dolphins that hinges on breaking out thanks to their 2nd year first round pick QB where their progression is.

So really who are we jumping out of those teams?

I agree, this team isn't getting a WC.

Mav 06-18-2013 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9759885)
he also had the best defense in the NFL in 2011

the Chiefs dont have close to a top 10 defense

No one knew the 49ers were that good going into 2011, no more than you know how good this defense is going to be under Sutton. So that, doesn't fly. The fact is, on paper, the defenses from the 49ers prior to 2011, and the chiefs defense this year going in, are comparable. Can we at least come to an agreement on that?

Sorter 06-18-2013 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverick91579 (Post 9759880)
I understand the skepticism on Weeden. My hope much like with Alex Smith here, is that Norv Turner will help him. Also being in a down field passing system, should help him as well. Provided Josh Gordon can stop trying to channel his inner Jamarcus Russell.

It'll be interesting.

BigBeauford 06-18-2013 03:11 PM

I hope I eat crow and Smith excells. On the other hand, I hope he doesn't to overachieve against a weaker schedule, only to get extended and mire in mediocrity against a tougher schedule in the following years.

Mav 06-18-2013 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qbsacker93 (Post 9759918)
I hope I eat crow and Smith excells. On the other hand, I hope he doesn't to overachieve against a weaker schedule, only to get extended and mire in mediocrity against a tougher schedule in the following years.

That's an interesting philo. I can understand it.

mcaj22 06-18-2013 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverick91579 (Post 9759897)
No one knew the 49ers were that good going into 2011, no more than you know how good this defense is going to be under Sutton. So that, doesn't fly. The fact is, on paper, the defenses from the 49ers prior to 2011, and the chiefs defense this year going in, are comparable. Can we at least come to an agreement on that?

yes you did, you had the defense. even in your 6-10 2010 year you had a top 15 defense. you were one of the best teams at stopping the run even with a crappy offense, crappy coaching and crappy QB, you had the defensive talent.

This Chiefs team showed no signs of anything last season except that Jamaal Charles can lead a good rush attack. The defense was bottom tier in the high twenties and the pass defense gave up scores at will.

They actually ARE NOT comparable statistically so get your facts straight.

Coogs 06-18-2013 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9759658)
Forgot them. I'd add them to my list as well.

Given our schedule, I really don't see this team doing better than 6-10.

Okay. Put those two in, and you have 12 teams listed. That's about an 8.5% chance for each one of those to win it all things being equal, and a 91.5 %chance the won't. Plus, their are 20 other teams. Some being pretty good... including us IMO.

So any given QB, the chances are much greater they won't win a Super Bowl anytime soon... Smith included. But someone is going to win won this year.

Coogs 06-18-2013 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9759885)
he also had the best defense in the NFL in 2011

the Chiefs dont have close to a top 10 defense

See, I tend to agree more with Sac. (has he been around lately?) If the offense does control the ball and move the chains... something that didn't happen often enough with Cassel... then our defense could/should be much improved.

I think we are on the right track and are going to surprise this season. JMO.

BigMeatballDave 06-18-2013 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coogs (Post 9760179)
See, I tend to agree more with Sac. (has he been around lately?) If the offense does control the ball and move the chains... something that didn't happen often enough with Cassel... then our defense could/should be much improved.

I think we are on the right track and are going to surprise this season. JMO.

Tough to evaluate last season's D.

That shitty Offense committed a shitton of turnovers.

Coogs 06-18-2013 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrueFanDave (Post 9760217)

Exactly!

BigBeauford 06-18-2013 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrueFanDave (Post 9760217)

The eye test showed the D really wasn't that bad, but it is tough to overcome shitty field position with the 3 and outs, and constant turnovers.

mcaj22 06-18-2013 05:12 PM

the defense was that bad, every safety and CB on half the field got picked on all game and the DL had no pass rush

if that changes is yet to be seen but it's not like theres been any significant upgrades to CB2, CB3, FS or the DL pass rush that show otherwise.

Marcellus 06-18-2013 05:21 PM

I amazed how little credit you fools give to coaching.

We had the worst coach in the NFL last year by a mile. Maybe 10 miles.

We just picked up a top 10 coach.

Basically every person in the NFL media thinks the Chiefs are talented.

We sent 6 people to Hawaii granted a few were questionable but still, somebody thought we had that level of talent.

Lets be a doom and gloom, that's way better.

BigMeatballDave 06-18-2013 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9760252)
the defense was that bad, every safety and CB on half the field got picked on all game and the DL had no pass rush

if that changes is yet to be seen but it's not like theres been any significant upgrades to CB2, CB3, FS or the DL pass rush that show otherwise.

Bullshit

Mav 06-18-2013 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9759942)
yes you did, you had the defense. even in your 6-10 2010 year you had a top 15 defense. you were one of the best teams at stopping the run even with a crappy offense, crappy coaching and crappy QB, you had the defensive talent.

This Chiefs team showed no signs of anything last season except that Jamaal Charles can lead a good rush attack. The defense was bottom tier in the high twenties and the pass defense gave up scores at will.

They actually ARE NOT comparable statistically so get your facts straight.

See, I enjoy this. Now, I am going to keep this polite. I am going to say that you are wrong. Way wrong infact. First, we didn't have Donte Whitner in 2010, and because of that, Dashon Goldson, was absolutely terrible in 2010. We had Takeo Spikes, who was good, but going into 2011, no one KNEW anything about Navarro Bowman. We had cut Clements, and picked up washingtons trash in Carlos Rogers, who in his previous 6 years, had as many picks 6, as he earned in his first season in San Francisco. Do you remember 2010 at all? You talk about our top 15 defense, how did that look when we came to Kansas City and had our doors completely blown off?

There was nothing similar to the 2010 and 2011 teams. Nothing. The difference was the coaching. And that will apply here. The majority of successful teams in the NFL, excel, at putting their personnel in a position to succeed. And it will start with the pass rush for the Chiefs. It will help out players like Eric Berry who when healthy, is a top 10 safety in the league, it will help out Brandon Flowers, who is a top 10 corner in the league. Both positions, that the 49ers have no player of that caliber. The chiefs are poised defensively, to be a top 10 defense this year, the only difference between the 49ers, of 2011, and the Chiefs of 2013, are the fact that your pieces are KNOWN. The 49ers had an unproven Aldon Smith, who was a situational pass rusher, Justin Smith, and Patrick Willis, and a bunch of unknowns.........