ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Books Science Fiction and Fantasy Books Only Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=257566)

keg in kc 04-27-2014 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 10588128)
Maybe a few shots would help me get past that page. I'm told the stories are fantastic, but much like William Gibson's works I just have trouble getting past the writing.

That would be why I don't particularly enjoy Kim Stanley Robinson. I'm just not a fan of his writing style.

Braincase 04-27-2014 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 10587586)
I used to be waaay into the "Drizzt" the Dark Elf books, by RA Salvatore.

Anyone heard of it?

Nobody plays MMPORPG with a Dark Elf wielding two scimitars anywhere... just doesn't happen.

Bob Salvatore probably created the most iconic fantasy character in the last 50 years. I've read almost all of the books. Used to be a big D&D/Forgotten Realms fan. Teaching my son to play Pathfinder these days.

patteeu 04-27-2014 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braincase (Post 10588679)
Nobody plays MMPORPG with a Dark Elf wielding two scimitars anywhere... just doesn't happen.

Bob Salvatore probably created the most iconic fantasy character in the last 50 years. I've read almost all of the books. Used to be a big D&D/Forgotten Realms fan. Teaching my son to play Pathfinder these days.

Have you ever read a book written by Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan?

unlurking 04-27-2014 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 10588139)
That would be why I don't particularly enjoy Kim Stanley Robinson. I'm just not a fan of his writing style.

Gotcha. Just glad there's so much to choose from!

cookster50 04-27-2014 03:46 PM

I've been on a sci fi kick lately. Anyone else finding that a lot of these sci fi writers are dirty old men that keep writing about the people of the future getting it on all the time?

Bowser 04-27-2014 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 10587564)
Hyperion is one of the best novels I've ever read. You should really give it more than a single chapter and a few pages. Simmons received the Hugo award for it (same as Robinson got for Green and Blue Mars as I recall).

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 10588005)
^

Another vote from the Hyperion Trilogy here.

keg in kc 04-27-2014 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cookster50 (Post 10589300)
I've been on a sci fi kick lately. Anyone else finding that a lot of these sci fi writers are dirty old men that keep writing about the people of the future getting it on all the time?

Check out Richard K. Morgan's Takashi Kovacs trilogy. No sex there. Promise!

o:-)

Braincase 04-29-2014 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 10588693)

Nope, but if I knew what to look for, I'd be all over it.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan 04-30-2014 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 10588693)

Maybe one or two. :evil:

patteeu 04-30-2014 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan (Post 10596223)
Maybe one or two. :evil:

Didn't you write a forgotten realms book a while back?

Miles 04-30-2014 10:37 PM

Sounds like I need to get around to finally reading Hyperion.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan 05-01-2014 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 10596770)
Didn't you write a forgotten realms book a while back?

No, I haven't been able to crack the Forgotten Realms nor Pathfinder books yet.

I did a novelization of Gauntlet Dark Legacy, and then did some novellas and short stories for Star Trek, Doctor Who, and the Incredible Hulk.

Now, I'm doing some original fantasy work (short stories - ebooks), as well as some "New Pulp" (action/adventure stories using either original or public domain characters).

A list of most of my work can be found here - My Bibliography. I've got a few more book covers to upload there once I get this paper done for school (the last one I have to do for my Masters outside of my Thesis. Huz-frickin-zah!)

patteeu 05-01-2014 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan (Post 10597871)
No, I haven't been able to crack the Forgotten Realms nor Pathfinder books yet.

I did a novelization of Gauntlet Dark Legacy, and then did some novellas and short stories for Star Trek, Doctor Who, and the Incredible Hulk.

Now, I'm doing some original fantasy work (short stories - ebooks), as well as some "New Pulp" (action/adventure stories using either original or public domain characters).

A list of most of my work can be found here - My Bibliography. I've got a few more book covers to upload there once I get this paper done for school (the last one I have to do for my Masters outside of my Thesis. Huz-frickin-zah!)

Congrats!

keg in kc 05-24-2014 05:55 PM

The new Dresden Files is out Tuesday on Audible, looking forward to that, so I'm re-listening to Cold Days.

L.A. Chieffan 05-25-2014 09:51 AM

I'm sharing a hotel with these people called BayCon. Wow.