ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Sci-Fi geeks UNITE!! (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=119615)

Adept Havelock 04-05-2008 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefmanwillgetyou (Post 4669504)
SciFi network is just a name only. They stole the moniker of Scifi but they aren't. They're phonies and fakes.

Nothing stands out with the crappy looking gray CGI crap.

their scifi sucks beyond belief.

Well, you're partially right. It's just a name for the most part. That said, they do have a few real gems over the years. If you think great CGI = great Scifi, you're as ignorant as your posts. Some of the best Sci-fi ever written had next to no special effects.

Don't like it? Don't watch it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 4669520)
SciFi had been planning to split the season all-along, so the writer's strike was just a convenient excuse. Waiting yet another year to see the end is going to be painful, especially if it's the roughest cliffhanger yet (which I bet it will be...).

They may be, but I'm still blaming the powers that be over at LOST for stretching two seasons or episodes into 3 and giving Scifi the idea.

Chiefmanwillcatch 04-05-2008 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 4669519)
Shut the **** up.

NO. I will say it loud and proud.

Sci Fi channel suck sh**

Wish there was an alternative for some real sci fi. Old Battle Star was way better. Not aimed at women.

keg in kc 04-05-2008 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adept Havelock (Post 4669522)
They may be, but I'm still blaming the powers that be over at LOST for stretching two seasons or episodes into 3 and giving Scifi the idea.

I thought SciFi did that first with BSG. I remember having an insane break (13 months IIRC) between season 1 and season 2, and then everyone going ballistic when they realized season 2 was being split in half (so SciFi could sell 2.0 and 2.1 DVD sets....) with a nearly year-long break in between, and then another year-long break before season 3.

They've done this kind of garbage the whole run. I often wonder if it would have higher ratings (and hence run more than 4 years...) if it was on the kind of schedule they run the stargates on (season split in half, but both halves aired in a single calendar year...).

Adept Havelock 04-05-2008 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefmanwillgetyou (Post 4669533)
Old Battle Star was way better. Not aimed at women.

Yeah, cheesy melodrama ripoffs of "The Guns of Navarone", "The Towering Inferno", A Spaghetti Western featuring a cylon gunslinger named "Redeye", bad fantasy novels featuring unicorns, Space Farmers attacked by mutant pig-rustlers and a robot dog are just so superior to actual character-driven Drama.

BSG might be aimed in part at women, but the original (while one of the best dark premises in Sci Fi) was a kiddie-fest, bad prosthetic, planet of the week, Star Trek wannabe that didn't know the difference between a Galaxy and a Star System. :rolleyes:

Sure, I liked it when it aired for what it was...a kids show. With that cast, it could have been epic. Sadly, the demands of 1970's Network Primetime killed any chance for depth or drama it had.

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 4669547)
I thought SciFi did that first with BSG. I remember having an insane break (13 months IIRC) between season 1 and season 2, and then everyone going ballistic when they realized season 2 was being split in half (so SciFi could sell 2.0 and 2.1 DVD sets....) with a nearly year-long break in between, and then another year-long break before season 3.

They've done this kind of garbage the whole run. I often wonder if it would have higher ratings (and hence run more than 4 years...) if it was on the kind of schedule they run the stargates on (season split in half, but both halves aired in a single calendar year...).

I'd forgotten about Season 2. I had a hell of a long wait for Season 2 as well, as I watched the first season when they were shown on Sky 5 months before the US release. Gotta love the internet. :)

keg in kc 04-05-2008 11:02 PM

Stop feeding the troll, rofl.

Adept Havelock 04-05-2008 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 4669557)
Stop feeding the troll, rofl.

Meh, he's harmless, and I've had a few too many jynnan tonnyx. [/Adams]

Bowser 04-05-2008 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefmanwillgetyou (Post 4669533)
NO. I will say it loud and proud.

Sci Fi channel suck sh**

Wish there was an alternative for some real sci fi. Old Battle Star was way better. Not aimed at women.

Big fan of the Eastern Alliance, the same special f/x shot of the same Cylon Raider getting destroyed over and over again, and men in campy outfits, eh?

Adept Havelock 04-05-2008 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 4669564)
Big fan of the Eastern Alliance, the same special f/x shot of the same Cylon Raider getting destroyed over and over again, and men in campy outfits, eh?

Don't forget the refugee paramedic from "Emergency" and his two gay singing and dancing robots!

Heh. I just realized one of them was Ray Bolger, the Scarecrow from The Wizard of Oz. LMAO

Fred Astaire as Starbuck's Father and the "Nomen" chasing him with laser bolas was a hoot too.

Bowser 04-05-2008 11:09 PM

How long was the wait between the pilot movie and season 1?

Bowser 04-05-2008 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adept Havelock (Post 4669571)
Don't forget the refugee paramedic from "Emergency" and his two gay singing and dancing robots!

Well, I had successfully blocked that from memory until now. Best 29 years of my life.

keg in kc 04-05-2008 11:11 PM

The funniest thing is, I bet if you asked all of us, we'd all say we hate the SciFi channel. It just so happens that despite what they air the other 6 days/23 hours of the week, they air the best show on TV, and one of the best shows of all time, BSG.

keg in kc 04-05-2008 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 4669577)
How long was the wait between the pilot movie and season 1?

I don't remember specifically, but I believe it was a year or more.

Bowser 04-05-2008 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 4669583)
The funniest thing is, I bet if you asked all of us, we'd all say we hate the SciFi channel. It just so happens that despite what they air the other 6 days/23 hours of the week, they air the best show on TV, and one of the best shows of all time, BSG.

Yeah, I bet their guys that work on the sci-fi movie of the week can't wait for BSG to be gone, so that their respective shows can get some more money for production. LOL

Adept Havelock 04-05-2008 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 4669585)
I don't remember specifically, but I believe it was a year or more.

The Miniseries was shown just before New Years in Dec. 2003, the US series premiered in Jan. of 2005.

IIRC, They started showing Season one on Sky in August or September 2004. Smart move. I think the word of mouth from those of us that downloaded and watched them boosted the numbers when the series was getting off the ground here. Not that "33" needed much help. That's one of the best hours of TV I've ever seen done in any genre.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 4669582)
Well, I had successfully blocked that from memory until now. Best 29 years of my life.

You're welcome. ;)

SciFi could really make my day by doing a three part miniseries to wrap up the Jericho Second Civil War too. They could...but they won't.

keg in kc 04-05-2008 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 4669588)
Yeah, I bet their guys that work on the sci-fi movie of the week can't wait for BSG to be gone, so that their respective shows can get some more money for production.

I think you could double those budgets and it still wouldn't make them watchable, lmao.