ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Football's Future If the Players Win by Roger Goodell (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=244358)

Swanman 04-27-2011 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 7595738)
Incredible. Really?

What about that is so incredible? This is not a simple case of a lowly employee asking to see the books and records. When one side in a negotiation is claiming something, the other side wants that claim proven.

kysirsoze 04-27-2011 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 7595738)
Incredible. Really?

Sometimes when clear logic is ignored, repetition is the only recourse.

Simplex3 04-27-2011 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kysirsoze (Post 7595764)
:spock:

What? You just made my argument. My point was that neither are vital but no one bitches about how much doughnut barons make. How did you not get that?

Oil is vital and everyone bitches about how much they make. People don't bitch about donut guy specifically, but they rail on about greedy corporations as a whole.

kysirsoze 04-27-2011 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simplex3 (Post 7595801)
Oil is vital and everyone bitches about how much they make. People don't bitch about donut guy specifically, but they rail on about greedy corporations as a whole.

Fine. But until something like this comes to a head, you never hear about the greedy bastard owners. Greedy, overpaid players is a chorus that runs through all major professional sports constantly. It's bullshit.

Simplex3 04-27-2011 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kysirsoze (Post 7595809)
Fine. But until something like this comes to a head, you never hear about the greedy bastard owners. Greedy, overpaid players is a chorus that runs through all major professional sports constantly. It's bullshit.

They're both greedy and I don't view that as a vice.

kysirsoze 04-27-2011 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simplex3 (Post 7595823)
They're both greedy and I don't view that as a vice.

Fine. Still doesn't refute my initial post that you called absurd. My issue was with the guy saying players are overpaid. I made a clear point as to why I thought he was full of shit. You objected. I was curious as to whether you had good reason after all. I suppose not.

Simplex3 04-27-2011 01:18 PM

I'll break it down further.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kysirsoze (Post 7594210)
Man this is bullshit. They provide a product that generates billions upon billions of dollars.

In fact the *owners* provide the product. The players are the employees.

Quote:

I don't see people bitching because the owner of Krispy Kreme makes millions of dollars (billions?). WTF do those greasy ass doughnuts (I said it!) do that is "vital for society"?

People bitch about corporate profits all the time. You'd have to have your head buried in the sand to miss it. Hell, this thread is littered with it. In this case the thread is targeted at the NFL, but you could go check out the oil thread that keeps popping up to see the same thing in another industry.

Quote:

These guys are the closest thing we as Americans have to gladiators.

Being the closest doesn't mean it is close. Because it isn't. At all. Slaves forced to kill each other and hack each other apart compares to NFL players in the same way the Holocaust compares to one Jewish guy being mugged in NY for his wallet.

Quote:

They put their body through hell for our entertainment and are repaid not only in money but life long pain and sometimes mental disorders.

They're also paid hundreds or thousands of times more than they would have ever made in any other industry. That's the trade off. Nobody forced them to do it. They chose money over their health.

Quote:

You can quibble about the details of the CBA, but this "players are overpaid" bullshit pisses me off.

The only way their salaries affect me are when the teams and/or the league start taking public money. I almost couldn't care less what either of them make.

BigMeatballDave 04-27-2011 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simplex3 (Post 7595888)

No. The players are the product. We pay to watch the players play football. What 'product' do the Owners provide? The product is football and its players.

kcfanXIII 04-27-2011 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 7591378)
Well gee Roger, maybe your ****ing owners shouldn't have opted out of the old CBA and started this shit.

How did this thread last so long after this?

Post #2 should have closed this thread.

kysirsoze 04-27-2011 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simplex3 (Post 7595888)
I'll break it down further.

People bitch about corporate profits all the time. You'd have to have your head buried in the sand to miss it. Hell, this thread is littered with it. In this case the thread is targeted at the NFL, but you could go check out the oil thread that keeps popping up to see the same thing in another industry.

Being the closest doesn't mean it is close. Because it isn't. At all. Slaves forced to kill each other and hack each other apart compares to NFL players in the same way the Holocaust compares to one Jewish guy being mugged in NY for his wallet.

They're also paid hundreds or thousands of times more than they would have ever made in any other industry. That's the trade off. Nobody forced them to do it. They chose money over their health.

The only way their salaries affect me are when the teams and/or the league start taking public money. I almost couldn't care less what either of them make.

You wrote all that and still didn't refute my point? Once again, my one and only point was that players are not overpaid. Was the gladiator thing hyperbole? Yes. But we do send these men to beat the hell out of each other for our amusement. Did I say their compensation wasn't a fair trade off for the health risks? No. As far as other industrys being the target of criticism, I don't think it matches what athletes get with the possible exception of oil and only because people are constantly hit with high costs at the pump. The fact that you even make the comparison is pretty telling.

You say yourself you don't even care what they get paid. Why did you even get involved? Are there really bot enough people for you to argue with in this thread?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk