ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life ****Official 2013 Weight Loss Challenge**** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268338)

luv 06-06-2013 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndChiefs (Post 9732805)
Interesting. For some reason I always thought potatoes didn't have much nutritional value. Learn something new every day.

I don't tend to eat them much simply because it's a white carb. I'm not doing the low carb diet, but I do try to avoid white carbs. Sugars, white potatoes, white rice, white bread, etc.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 06-06-2013 09:38 AM

Lately, whenever I have gone out to eat, I just make sure it's my only meal for that day. Nothing worse than ordering something bland and paying a good price for it.

Frosty 06-06-2013 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndChiefs (Post 9732800)
I suppose I need to learn more about healthy eating as well. Obviously I've seen low-carb, low-fat, etc. diets but I'm unsure what nutrients I might be missing with them and what I would need to eat to replace them.

I love food, and I love the different tastes you can achieve with different ingredients and spices. I don't want to be relegated to eating chicken breast, salmon, and salads just because I don't want to get fat.

If you keep the calories under control, you can eat nothing but Twinkies and lose weight. It's possible to eat whatever you want if you are good at portion control.

I have found that I am not good at it. I can maintain on a mixed diet but can't lose weight so have to resort to a little more extreme method to lose.

I gave the wrong idea about how I'm eating. I was just throwing stuff out for ideas in a restaurant, not how to eat all of the time. My food is very tasty. For example, one of my favorite current meals is to take rice, diced chicken breast, and peas and sprinkle with Golden Mountain sauce and a little fish sauce. It's quick and easy and tastes like something from a Thai restaurant. There are also a ton of things you can do with rice, potatoes, chicken/shrimp and curry powders. It's definitely not boring.

AndChiefs 06-06-2013 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 9732816)
If you keep the calories under control, you can eat nothing but Twinkies and lose weight. It's possible to eat whatever you want if you are good at portion control.

I have found that I am not good at it. I can maintain on a mixed diet but can't lose weight so have to resort to a little more extreme method to lose.

I gave the wrong idea about how I'm eating. I was just throwing stuff out for ideas in a restaurant, not how to eat all of the time. My food is very tasty. For example, one of my favorite current meals is to take rice, diced chicken breast, and peas and sprinkle with Golden Mountain sauce and a little fish sauce. It's quick and easy and tastes like something from a Thai restaurant. There are also a ton of things you can do with rice, potatoes, chicken/shrimp and curry powders. It's definitely not boring.

I realize that but obviously I want to keep an eye on my nutrients as well.

I'm not very good at portion control either. I grew up in a clean your plate household and restaurant portions are never really what I should be eating for a meal.

I'll need to find some better recipes for when I am home though.

AndChiefs 06-06-2013 10:02 AM

AndChiefs 06-06-2013 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 9732811)
I don't tend to eat them much simply because it's a white carb. I'm not doing the low carb diet, but I do try to avoid white carbs. Sugars, white potatoes, white rice, white bread, etc.

Why are white carbs so bad?

luv 06-06-2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndChiefs (Post 9732863)

They're not all bad.

http://www.bradgouthrofitness.com/ar...ite-carbs-bad/

Frosty 06-06-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndChiefs (Post 9732863)

I think the problem with "white carbs" is how they are usually served. Potatoes are primarily sold as chips and fries (highly palatable calorie bombs) or baked and loaded with butter and sour cream. Wheat is made into donuts, pizza crust, muffins, etc. Sugar is added to just about everything to make it more palatable.

In the context of a whole food diet, I don't think there is anything wrong with rice or potatoes. Some people can also get away with whole wheat (I can't).

Personally, I'm trying to get away from thinking of food as carb, protein or fat. For example, potatoes are primary carb but are also 10% (complete) protein and about 7% fat. Oatmeal also has a good protein profile and is about 16% fat. There aren't many whole foods that are 100% carb, protein or fat so I am trying to think of food as healthful or unhealthful while also looking at the calorie density. It's working pretty well, at least when I don't get sidetracked by graduation parties. :banghead:

Buck 06-11-2013 07:10 PM

So I was up to 196 last week, got down to 187.6 and then went on a 3 day vacation with no restrictions eating.

Came home last night and put down a burrito and 3 rolled tacos.

When I weighed myself this morning I was bracing for 190+ and I was at 184.6. Down 3 lbs on my vacation.

Pretty stoked on that.

The Franchise 06-17-2013 11:49 AM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ilubYTOM1ls" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

31PriestWay 06-21-2013 02:15 PM

1ChiefsDan 06-30-2013 10:32 AM

Down from 229.8 last month down from 251.6 at the first of the year.

31.2 pounds lost for the year. Goal is to be at 200 by years end.

Saul Good 06-30-2013 11:00 AM

I've lost 25 pounds and am now at what I consider to be my ideal body weight. I may wind up losing about five more, but that isn't my focus. Think I'm going back to the sprint8 workout to build muscle. I've been focusing on long distance running, and it really improved my cardio and burned a lot of calories. It gets really time-consuming, though.

The sprint8 sucks, but it only takes 20 minutes, and you see results in a week.

morphius 06-30-2013 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9784677)
I've lost 25 pounds and am now at what I consider to be my ideal body weight. I may wind up losing about five more, but that isn't my focus. Think I'm going back to the sprint8 workout to build muscle. I've been focusing on long distance running, and it really improved my cardio and burned a lot of calories. It gets really time-consuming, though.

The sprint8 sucks, but it only takes 20 minutes, and you see results in a week.

Okay, Sprint8=HIIT. I hate when companies do that, lol. Nice work on the weight loss!

Ugly Duck 07-07-2013 01:59 AM

This Feb I was 222.... weighed 172 just now

Officially 50 lbs of weight loss today....

http://www.readysetfeast.com/wp-cont...+feel+good.gif