ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Expectations and Alex Smith (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271413)

Beeker 03-25-2013 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 9529439)
:rolleyes:

I don't think you have a clue.

I think you freaking morons place too much value on a draft pick. So somebody somewhere decided each draft pick is worth "X" number amount. What's a 1.1 worth? Does that equate to Jalardass Russell? Ryan potLeaf? Alex Smith Hmm??

Whatever "draft pick value" number you all claim to use has zero meaning outside of whomever invented it.

ChiefsCountry 03-25-2013 08:36 PM

How in the hell does a shitty player like Alex Smith have fans that go out of their way to defend a worthless POS like him. Amazing.

OrtonsPiercedTaint 03-25-2013 08:37 PM

The Chargers did fine after Leaf. The Raiders well...3/4ths of Al Davis picks are just silly. Strangely Seabass may be one of his better moves.

Discuss Thrower 03-25-2013 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beeker (Post 9529442)

Unless of course you meant SUPER BOWL WINNING QB's... amirite?

That's exactly what I meant.

If you're making a decision based off a sample size of 10, wouldn't you want to go with most common denominator among those 10?

Tombstone RJ 03-25-2013 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beeker (Post 9529454)
I think you freaking morons place too much value on a draft pick. So somebody somewhere decided each draft pick is worth "X" number amount. What's a 1.1 worth? Does that equate to Jalardass Russell? Ryan potLeaf? Alex Smith Hmm??

Whatever "draft pick value" number you all claim to use has zero meaning outside of whomever invented it.

the chart is used for trade negotiation purposes and that is its primary purpose. If team X wants a certain pick or a certain player, it has to trade something of equivolent value. It's a tool, nothing more and nothing less.

Kaepernick 03-25-2013 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 9529441)
This decade. IE Years after the rules committee totally slanted the game in favor of passing offense.

Russell Wilson was taken in the 3rd round.

Most franchise QBs are taken in the first round. Once in a while a reach below that, like Montana, Brady, or Wilson sticks.

It can be done. The odds just aren't very good. Your best chance is to be so bad you get a high 1st round pick for a top QB prospect. The problem is the years when nobody is worth it. Then what do you do?

Kaepernick 03-25-2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 9529460)
How in the hell does a shitty player like Alex Smith have fans that go out of their way to defend a worthless POS like him. Amazing.

Battered fan syndrome?

Stockholm syndrome. Been hostages of Alex too long?

Alex is a vampire who sucks their blood?

Beats the shit out of me.

I've known some loser types who had to sabotage themselves at everything and pull defeat from the jaws of victory. Maybe it is just loser types who identify with another loser and want to wallow in Loser World.

"Hey, my QB is a loser. See, it's not so bad after all. We can all be losers together. One big loser family. Group hug!"

Beeker 03-25-2013 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Lee (Post 9529448)
Great, wake me up when the Chiefs draft and develop a QB taken in any round in the draft.

Maybe I might care then, until then not so much.

I can't argue with that .... not in the least bit. Maybe they take a QB in the 3rd/4th rd this year. Maybe next year. Who knows? Maybe that guy turns out to be the QBotF you all are hoping for.

If Alex Smith turns out to be the turd most here think he is, you get 6-10, 5-11, and you get a fairly high draft pick both years ... top 15, and then he gets shitcanned. If you get 9-7, 10-6 then you get playoffs and possibly a win - you draft mid 20's. If you draft EJ Geno Ryan Barkley Glennon this year at 1.1, and he gets you 4-14 and 5-11 - WHAT'S THE FREAKING DIFFERENCE?????

Some of the folks on this forum seriously just can't stand the thought of a winning team because it's been that way for 30 years. I get it. I really do. I don't know what it's like to have my favorite team go 2-14 and draft a QB at 1.1 who for 6 years turns out to be a bust.

I HOPE Alex wins a playoff game this year for KC. I really do. I can't realistically sit here and say he'll win a SB with KC. I hope he DOES win a SB with KC, just not against the 49ers. :LOL:

Beeker 03-25-2013 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 9529465)
the chart is used for trade negotiation purposes and that is its primary purpose. If team X wants a certain pick or a certain player, it has to trade something of equivolent value. It's a tool, nothing more and nothing less.

That's fair. And I happen to believe it's a tool that is worthless except to whatever mathematician invented it.

Tombstone RJ 03-25-2013 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beeker (Post 9529476)
I can't argue with that .... not in the least bit. Maybe they take a QB in the 3rd/4th rd this year. Maybe next year. Who knows? Maybe that guy turns out to be the QBotF you all are hoping for.

If Alex Smith turns out to be the turd most here think he is, you get 6-10, 5-11, and you get a fairly high draft pick both years ... top 15, and then he gets shitcanned. If you get 9-7, 10-6 then you get playoffs and possibly a win - you draft mid 20's. If you draft EJ Geno Ryan Barkley Glennon this year at 1.1, and he gets you 4-14 and 5-11 - WHAT'S THE FREAKING DIFFERENCE?????

Some of the folks on this forum seriously just can't stand the thought of a winning team because it's been that way for 30 years. I get it. I really do. I don't know what it's like to have my favorite team go 2-14 and draft a QB at 1.1 who for 6 years turns out to be a bust.

I HOPE Alex wins a playoff game this year for KC. I really do. I can't realistically sit here and say he'll win a SB with KC. I hope he DOES win a SB with KC, just not against the 49ers. :LOL:

the thing is, Matt Moore can get kc just as many wins, so why trade a second and a high conditional for Alex Smith? As for taking a young QB high in the draft, yes, it's a gamble but there is a chance he could be something special (granted, with this year's crop a smaller chance, but still).

Beeker 03-25-2013 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 9529486)
the thing is, Matt Moore can get kc just as many wins, so why trade a second and a high conditional for Alex Smith? As for taking a young QB high in the draft, yes, it's a gamble but there is a chance he could be something special (granted, with this year's crop a smaller chance, but still).

Agreed, although I'm not so sure Matt Moore is equal to Alex. And for the record, I'm no Alex lover - he is what he is. Also for the record, I've said it repeatedly that NONE of this year's QBs will EVER win a playoff game. EVER.

Tombstone RJ 03-25-2013 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beeker (Post 9529481)
That's fair. And I happen to believe it's a tool that is worthless except to whatever mathematician invented it.

lol... Jimmy Johnson invented it as a tool. Granted, he's just a coach but he still invented it.

B14ckmon 03-25-2013 08:51 PM

http://uranus.ckt.net/~gochiefs/alexalien2.gif

Discuss Thrower 03-25-2013 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaepernick (Post 9529468)
Then what do you do?

Then you evaluate who exactly is the best quarterback in the draft and you take him before you get the inclination someone else will.

Beeker 03-25-2013 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 9529490)
lol... yep, I knew your were clueless. Jimmy Johnson invented it as a tool. Granted, he's just a coach but he still invented it.

Your opinion. Mine is that it's worthless. A second round pick is a second round pick. Period.