ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   2014 NFL Combine - Players - The DT (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=281614)

planetdoc 04-02-2014 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 10533229)
Donald, Poe, Walker

As I've said before, Donald is undersized to play a 3-4DE. I know many here see him as a 3 tech. Nonetheless, I dont see him as a fit for the chiefs defense.

O.city 04-02-2014 01:57 PM

When you're only selecting guys that "fit" your defense, you're bound to miss out on good football players.

If a guy is that talented, fit your scheme to him. It's not as if he'd sit in the 3 tech fr games on end. We've been thru this.

planetdoc 04-02-2014 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 10534904)
If a guy is that talented, fit your scheme to him. It's not as if he'd sit in the 3 tech fr games on end. We've been thru this.

we have been through this.

1. the chiefs have already gone on record that they are not changing the scheme.

2. a defense is supposed to work as a unit like a puzzle. Your advocating changing the other puzzle pieces for the benefit of your 1 piece.

OldSchool 04-02-2014 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by planetdoc (Post 10535039)

1. the chiefs have already gone on record that they are not changing the scheme.

2. a defense is supposed to work as a unit like a puzzle. Your advocating changing the other puzzle pieces for the benefit of your 1 piece.

Yeah, we only run the 3-4.:spock:

O.city 04-02-2014 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by planetdoc (Post 10535039)

If we sat in a 34 base every down, you'd hav a point. We just signed a free agent dl that doesn't really "fit" the 34 either.

planetdoc 04-02-2014 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 10535075)
If we sat in a 34 base every down, you'd hav a point. We just signed a free agent dl that doesn't really "fit" the 34 either.

@ 305 lbs he fits a lot better than a just under 6'1'' 285 lb under 33" arm Aaron Donald.

planetdoc 04-02-2014 05:11 PM

For those of you who are wanting Aaron Donald, why couldnt the chiefs just use Tamba Hali in that capacity? (inside on pass rushing downs)

Hali is about the same size, played DT in college, and has shown NFL pass rushing ability. Then the chiefs could find a younger/quicker pass rusher for the edge (OLB). It would be a win/win. Hali doesnt really have the speed to bend the edge anymore (he wins on hustle and technique), but is still very experienced and would provide more immediate production than a rookie.

Saccopoo 04-02-2014 10:20 PM

Aaron Donald would get his ass kicked as a five tech. Period.

Sorter 04-02-2014 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 10536075)
Aaron Donald would get his ass kicked as a five tech. Period.

That'd be awesome if it were a technique KC played with great frequency.

It amazes me how you refuse to learn anything. You make some excellent posts and then get stuck into these ****ing principles from the 90s that even Crennel doesn't adhere to.

I just don't get it.

planetdoc 04-03-2014 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 10536112)
That'd be awesome if it were a technique KC played with great frequency.

what is the data behind this? How many plays (or what percent of plays) did the chiefs use a 5-tech for the 2013 season? I suspect that the chiefs did use a 5-tech with great frequency.

OldSchool 04-03-2014 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by planetdoc (Post 10536447)
what is the data behind this? How many plays (or what percent of plays) did the chiefs use a 5-tech for the 2013 season? I suspect that the chiefs did use a 5-tech with great frequency.

False. Devito played less than 40% of the defensive snaps last year and he was our "starting" LDE 5-tech.

Jackson played a little more at 45% of the snaps, he had a few more opportunities in sub packages than Devito did before our coaches decided that he sucked at pass rushing.

We spent a hell of a lot more time in sub packages than we did in our "base" 3-4 defense, and even then our DEs didn't always line up as true 5-techs.

OldSchool 04-03-2014 08:32 AM

Kendrick Lewis led the team with 94% of the defensive snaps.:banghead:

htismaqe 04-03-2014 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldSchool (Post 10536472)
False. Devito played less than 40% of the defensive snaps last year and he was our "starting" LDE 5-tech.

Jackson played a little more at 45% of the snaps, he had a few more opportunities in sub packages than Devito did before our coaches decided that he sucked at pass rushing.

We spent a hell of a lot more time in sub packages than we did in our "base" 3-4 defense, and even then our DEs didn't always line up as true 5-techs.

Sutton often refers to our "base" defense as "multiples".

While we employ a majority 30-front, we're moving guys all over the place.

OldSchool 04-03-2014 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10536497)
Sutton often refers to our "base" defense as "multiples".

While we employ a majority 30-front, we're moving guys all over the place.

Yup, which is why the people who hate on Donald and keep saying he wouldn't have a place on this defense or would be a bad fit annoy the hell out of me.:shake:

Only constants in the front 7 last year were Johnson, Hali, Poe, and Houston (when healthy). I guess you could throw Berry in there too.

htismaqe 04-03-2014 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldSchool (Post 10536506)
Yup, which is why the people who hate on Donald and keep saying he wouldn't have a place on this defense or would be a bad fit annoy the hell out of me.:shake:

Well, Sutton came from the Jets. One only has to watch the Jets for about 2 quarters before they get it.

The Jets run about as many defensive sets as any team ever has. They employ both 1 and 2-gap. They run 3-4, they run 4-3 under. The coaching staff has borrowed from pretty much ever stop they've been at and they have experience with New England's style as well as the earlier Parcell's method.

And I'd MUCH rather have Donald than Hageman.