ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   NFL Draft Well, We Probably Should Have a Brian Orakpo Thread... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=196400)

milkman 11-09-2008 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 5205767)
well, if we can't get stafford then yes DE is a top priority...

i have no idea which one is best though...i loved selvie when I watched him, but i don't know if he is big enough...

I like Michael Johnson a lot, but I think based simply on production, that Orakpo is the guy.

But you can't go wrong with either.

cdcox 11-09-2008 07:42 PM

They list him at 260. What do you think he really weighs? Do you think he can put on a little weight to get up to a legitimate 270 and keep his speed?

ChiefsCountry 11-09-2008 07:43 PM

Orakpo has jumped up high bc of his production wait till the combine when he puts some of the lifts up.

'Hamas' Jenkins 11-09-2008 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Basileus777 (Post 5205773)
He was basically a bust at DE, but he's been solid at OLB in the 3-4. He's better than Gholston is right now.

That literally means nothing. He's a 29 year old player. He should be better than a rookie who played "Leo" in college and is in his first year in a new position where he isn't getting any PT. The Jets are idiots for sitting a talent like Gholston while they try to win 9 games and get piss pounded in the first round

The Bad Guy 11-09-2008 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 5205747)
FYP

You are correct.

Basileus777 11-09-2008 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 5205775)
I was absolutely not pimping Lawson. I don't even know if I've mentioned him in more than five posts in this entire time I've been on the site.

You can't blame Gholston for the fact that their team was a year into a rebuild and then decided to sell out to win now, signing a bunch of aging and past their prime veterans, and giving the young guys no time to develop.

Gholston was not going to come in and have 15 sacks his first year, but if he is given time, he can be that kind of guy, especially in a system where he attacks, attacks, and attacks.

That's true enough. I was merely commenting on his production so far, a top 10 pick not being able to get on the field. I don't this its necessarily indicative of his future.

the Talking Can 11-09-2008 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 5205780)
Selvie: :Orakpo

Hali: : Mario Williams

that's a language i understand

'Hamas' Jenkins 11-09-2008 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdcox (Post 5205785)
They list him at 260. What do you think he really weighs? Do you think he can put on a little weight to get up to a legitimate 270 and keep his speed?

If a guy is that strong, it doesn't matter if he weighs 260, 240, or 380. He already has world class facilities at UT. There really isn't a difference in the strength and conditioning programs you get at major DI schools and the Pros. That should be more of a concern if he were coming from a mid-major or a DII school.

DeezNutz 11-09-2008 07:45 PM

How many high draft picks and FA dollars will we need to spend on the defense for it to be decent?

I'm not making this comment to criticize Orakpo--I'm just sayin...

It's sad we're commenting upon the huge need we have at DE, which is accurate, when we're starting a recent first and second rounder at both ends.

Basileus777 11-09-2008 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 5205789)
That literally means nothing. He's a 29 year old player. He should be better than a rookie who played "Leo" in college and is in his first year in a new position where he isn't getting any PT. The Jets are idiots for sitting a talent like Gholston while they try to win 9 games and get piss pounded in the first round

Mangini has to win games to keep his job. They traded for Favre an signed a bunch of veteran free agents. The Jets are trying to win a Superbowl this year. I don't think they have a chance in hell of doing it, but if you want to win games you aren't going to play a raw rookie who doesn't know how to play OLB.

'Hamas' Jenkins 11-09-2008 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Basileus777 (Post 5205792)
That's true enough. I was merely commenting on his production so far, a top 10 pick not being able to get on the field. I don't this its necessarily indicative of his future.

Not being able to get on the field doesn't mean he is incapable of getting on the field, though. The Jets were reeruned making those moves in the offseason. Faneca, Pace, Favre, et. al. In three years, what is a 32 year old Calvin Pace going to give you, as opposed to a 26 year old Vernon Gholston who has 48 NFL games under his belt?

They are cutting off their nose to spite their face.

'Hamas' Jenkins 11-09-2008 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 5205802)
How many high draft picks and FA dollars will we need to spend on the defense for it to be decent?

I'm not making this comment to criticize Orakpo--I'm just sayin...

It's sad we're commenting upon the huge need we have at DE, which is accurate, when we're starting a recent first and second rounder at both ends.

Neither one of those guys can play RDE, and they weren't drafted to do so.

Ultra Peanut 11-09-2008 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 5205780)
Selvie: :Orakpo

Hali: : Mario Williams

I like this comparison.

DeezNutz 11-09-2008 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 5205810)
Neither one of those guys can play RDE, and they weren't drafted to do so.

Not with Turk. He was a tweener who was supposed to be able to supply some pass rush. He was more than capable of playing all positions on the line, according to Herm, when the selection was made.

On a side note, spending a round-one pick on a LDE doesn't seem like sound business to me. Are you sure that Hali was tabbed as this coming out?

aturnis 11-09-2008 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 5205643)
We have 3 enormous needs:

Pass rushing LDE.
Stud MLB
Completely new right side of the line

Since we can't draft a RT or RG that high, it's down to MLB or LDE.

Hopefully this Orakpo is all that. I know little to nothing about him.

Why LDE? Why not a RDE?