ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   For those who want to trade our 2nd rounder for Surtain... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=114501)

jspchief 04-19-2005 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaneo69
Even with 4 Pro Bowlers in the secondary and three 1st round picks on the D-line in the mid-to-late 80's, our defense still sucked. Why? We had no LB's until Derrick got here.

...And we got Derrick Thomas at #4 overall, not #46

ChiefsCountry 04-19-2005 10:33 PM

With the choices in this poll, the best would be to take Mark Clayton. Pollack I would consider, but the rest don't fit our needs or are going to be busts. Clayton would be a nice choice, REMEMBER I'm not suggesting the Chiefs do this but with the choices on this poll given he is the best choice.

Wallcrawler 04-20-2005 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaneo69
Even with 4 Pro Bowlers in the secondary and three 1st round picks on the D-line in the mid-to-late 80's, our defense still sucked. Why? We had no LB's until Derrick got here.

They didnt have an offense backing them the likes of what the Chiefs now have either.

I would much rather see the team having to advance the ball by running, and taking more plays to try to score, rather than just lobbing the ball downfield at will, and scoring in 3 plays or less.

The Chiefs offense right now can put up huge numbers, and has been doing so for the past 3 years straight. As long as the defense doesnt consistently give up the huge play for the TD, the clock is on the side of the Chiefs. Trying to keep up with the Chiefs offense means that late in the game, the run is going to be tossed out the window, and the passing game is going to be counted on to try to tie or win the game.

Without a good secondary, this defense is not going to keep teams out of the endzone. If I had to pick, Id much rather take away the opposing team's ability to pass, and pick up those huge gains at will, and let them try to score by running the ball.

I dont know how many times Ive seen 3rd and 15, 3rd and 18, and watch the opposing offense go out and pick up 25-30 yards for the first down.

Im sick of that BS. Get some guys in to cover their receivers, and stop the pass.

Ultra Peanut 04-20-2005 04:29 AM

You can never have too many safeties.

yoswif 04-20-2005 04:49 AM

If Surtain is in the fold, I can't see drafting a backup CB on day one when other positions need a quality starter. I think Key Fox or one of the free agent LBs available would fill the LB need.

Jared Allen is the only Chiefs DE who put pressure on the QB last year, so I'd like one of the pass rushers at #15 to play opposite Allen. I think the best way to get the most out of the Chiefs new secondary acquisitions is to get a pass rusher to play opposite Allen. For that reason, I like Ware, Pollack, Merriman, or Spears at #15.

KC Margarita Man 04-20-2005 04:50 AM

Our rush defense last year really wasn't that bad after the first few games. It would've been better if Barber hadn't been hurt. But any offense seeing what the Chiefs had in the secondary last year is naturally going for the home run ball as often as they can. We've got to upgrade the secondary.