ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Priest is still my favorite player (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=123943)

Gaz 09-13-2005 07:18 AM

Cue the "Twilight Zone" music...

KC drafted Johnson because Holmes was injured and because he was the best player on the board at the time.

xoxo~
Gaz
Intrigued by this alternate universe MOhillbilly inhabits.

Mecca 09-13-2005 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOhillbilly
KC drafted LJ,because holmes was holding out. Now that LJ has made the grade. and PH hasnt finished a season healthy in years.
It would have been nice to p/u a star DB,DE. instead of having capable players riding the pine(an embaressment of riches)

Holmes contract makes him untradeable to our cap for one. For 2 Edge James and Shaun Alexander were also on the market this year and their teams got nothing for them. Nearly every team in the league has a runningback now and will not give up much for one in a trade. Especially one that is 31 years old and nearing the end of his career.

Your little trade scenario is unrealistic, you should think about that before talking about "what they should have done".

MOhillbilly 09-13-2005 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefs_Mike_Topeka
Holmes was not holding out, Carl did not have faith that Priest could come back healthy after his hip injury. Vermiel wanted a defensive player in that draft! But not only did Priest come back he PLAYED THE ENTIRE YEAR and broke the single season TD mark in the Chiefs 13-3 season. Can't really say it has been "years" since Priest finished a season healthy.

what planet are you from?
he did hold out.
carl told the fans the hip was fine. remember???

in 03' he played the entire year. which means he has been......bah no use in debating w/ a bunch of HOMERS!

MOhillbilly 09-13-2005 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaz

KC drafted Johnson because Holmes was injured and because he was the best player on the board at the time.

xoxo~
Gaz
Intrigued by this alternate universe MOhillbilly inhabits.

hindsite is 20/20.

Eitherway PH or LJ is money,that could be spent on the D.
KC doesnt need 2 when the D has been so terrible.

Gaz 09-13-2005 07:55 AM

Huh?

It is not hindsight. Holmes was coming off a hip injury. Sure, Carl told the fans the hip was fine. What else would you expect him to do? Geez, wake up and join the real world will you? No one knew if he would make it back.

I have no idea where the “holdout” stuff came from.

As far as “KC doesn’t need 2” I disagree. Having [2] legitimate rushing threats in the backfield is a wonderful thing. An embarrassment of riches. I have read nothing but praise and awe concerning the KC backfield.

And you might have noticed that the D was not terrible yesterday. We drafted Johnson [once again, let us thank the football gods that he was still there when we picked], who was the best Defensive player on the board when we picked and the best LB period [a position of dire need, you might recall].

Larry Johnson was a great pick and he proved that on Sunday. He is the heir apparent to Holmes and will be our starting RB down the road. It is simply gravy that he is able to contribute in such a major way while Holmes is still here.

xoxo~
Gaz
Very pleased with the pick.

Mecca 09-13-2005 07:57 AM

The guys who got picked right after Larry Johnson were I believe, Nick Barnett and Tyler Brayton. I think I'd take Larry Johnson over those guys at this point in time.

Raiderhater 09-13-2005 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefs_Mike_Topeka
You mean like lead the league in rushing, break the single season TD mark, be 2 games away from the GREATEST SEASON EVER for a running back only to see it dashed due to a freak injury. Come back from that injury and not only break said TD record but produce over 2100 offensive yards. And in 4 years average 19 TD's and 1400 yards. Is that the type of "special" running back you are talking about?

It's just our young age, we haven't been around long enough to know what special really is.

Saulbadguy 09-13-2005 08:23 AM

I kind of doubted LJ at first because his college career was highlighted by major production vs Saint Marys Sisters of the Poor, and then a dropoff vs good teams. I didn't watch any Penn State football, so I didn't know if it was the o-line or not.

Now I know he is the real deal. It also takes a hell of a man to do what he has done in his situation. Physically, he is the better RB. His other intangibles (field vision, knowledge of the playbook, maturity) aren't on par with Priest yet, but he has a ways to go. He also is 25 years old. He turns 26 in November. We got to start utilizing him more often to get our moneys worth. I hope he is our RB of the future (the next 5-6 years).

That really doesn't take anything away from Priest. He is also a great RB, and in a big game, i'd probably take PH over LJ. However, to build for the future, LJ is the man.

penchief 09-13-2005 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth
As soon as LJ has a bad couple o games while Priest rots on the bench, you'll suddenly have a change of heart and be an avid disciple of sound statistical reasoning. "Its only 2 games people! You cant judge a guy by two games, give him more time!" And then we'd be expected to have patience on and on untill the season is shot and theres nothing we can do anymore but admit a serious mistake while the rest of the league laughs at the stupid Chiefs. We have plenty of time next year for probably's and I think so's, when we arent as big a threat for the Super Bowl. You are still freaking out over an insignificant sample size.

At the end of the day, this is about winning the Super Bowl this year. Next year can take care of itself when Holmes heads for the sunset. THIS year, RIGHT now, this offense is pretty much close to its peak potential. If you replaced Priest with some of the best backs in history, we do not significantly improve. Given that, I dont see any upside to giving an unproven half-a-season wonder the starting job and risking a decrease in performance. I do support giving him a gradually increasing workload as he ramps up to the prime of his career, but not at the expense of winning right now this season. If we were not going to contend for anything and had a veteran who was probably better but would be gone in a year or 2, then I'd start LJ, but we arent rebuilding here.

Statistically speaking, and in theory, there are many who might agree with your logic. While LJ's sample size may be small it has never consisted of a poor sample. In fact, I have never seen him look bad. It takes most backs a few carries to get warmed up. LJ has been able to prove himself in limited action.

Two things; he keeps getting more and more impressive and that is scary. And, he has never disappointed; he's never played poorly. I say that the dude is about to explode onto the scene. He may be the next superstar RB in the NFL. And when I say superstar I'm not talking about Marshall Faulk or Priest Holmes, I'm talking OJ, Eric Dickerson, Bo Jackson, etc. Maybe I'm wrong but maybe I'm not. But he has unique abilities, a unique running style all his own, and an immense competitive desire. Those are the ingredients of the great ones in the past.

I love Priest Holmes and want him on the Chiefs but I can't help my selfish desire to see LJ carry the ball so that I can jump out of my seat and scream, "There's a hole! There he goes! He's gone! Oh, yeah! LJ!!!"

The fact is we've got us one hell of a talent and I want to see him bringing me excitement on Sundays. I want to give him every chance possible to run the full length of the field. I love having a weapon that no other team in this league can boast about having.

I still love Priest Holmes and want to see him playing but I'm on the edge of my seat waiting to see what LJ is going to do next.