ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Have you/do you plan on moving to some other state when you retire? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=322937)

Hammock Parties 05-14-2019 02:16 PM

I think I'm going to move to Springfield, retire in my grandparents' house and die in it.

BIG_DADDY 05-14-2019 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 14268043)
Oh yes, I’ve thought long and hard about it and researched it... when mom passes I’ll be packing up and heading for Pensacola, Fla

The housing prices there are the bomb

Rain Man 05-14-2019 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagicHef (Post 14268040)
I'm not sure if Western WA checks your boxes or not. It's very wet in winter, but surprisingly dry during summer. I also don't know if it qualifies as a western landscape, as it has plenty of mountains but it also has trees and water. Every other item on your list it fits quite well.

I've only been to Seattle and the Olympic peninsula. Seattle has been a traffic nightmare both times, so I'd prefer Denver. But the Olympic peninsula would be nice. I thought Port Angeles was very nice in the one hour I visited. I'm not sure if it's too small for the long term, though. I like big-city amenities.

JakeF 05-14-2019 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKchiefs (Post 14267928)
I'd consider Southeast Asia. You can live like a king with relatively little money.

Pick a place where kidnapping Americans isn't the leading industry for the area.

tooge 05-14-2019 02:26 PM

I've lived many places in the US. I've lived in KC area, Texas, Iowa, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Illinois, Northern Cal and Southern Cal. I've spent lots of time in Florida also. The best place I ever lived was Okinawa, Japan. Great weather, great food, beautiful land, oceans, beaches, fresh fish and vegetables, nice people, and almost non existent crime. I'd go back and retire there in a heartbeat. From there its fairly easy to travel to SE Asia, Austrailia, etc.

ptlyon 05-14-2019 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 14268064)
I've only been to Seattle and the Olympic peninsula. Seattle has been a traffic nightmare both times, so I'd prefer Denver. But the Olympic peninsula would be nice. I thought Port Angeles was very nice in the one hour I visited. I'm not sure if it's too small for the long term, though. I like big-city amenities.

Then may I suggest Jupiter, FL?

Easy 6 05-14-2019 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY (Post 14268047)
How do you like it there? What are the cops like?

To be honest I’ve never set foot there

But I love being near the ocean, just that whole beach culture thing

It’s the perfect size for me at 50k, but probably feels much bigger with the military presence as well as being a hub for the surrounding area... big enough to have everything I need, but not so big that it takes me an hour to get to work 5 miles away

I narrowed in on the panhandle because of cost of living concerns, as well as seeming to have a less hectic, more country vibe than the overcrowded peninsula

Love to fish, love hot n sunny weather, love the ocean.. it just seems perfect for me

Mephistopheles Janx 05-14-2019 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 14268048)
I think I'm going to move to Springfield, retire in my grandparents' house and die in it.

From parent's basement to grandparent's house. Your journey will be complete.

:D :D :D

/joking

Rain Man 05-14-2019 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 14268067)
I've lived many places in the US. I've lived in KC area, Texas, Iowa, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Illinois, Northern Cal and Southern Cal. I've spent lots of time in Florida also. The best place I ever lived was Okinawa, Japan. Great weather, great food, beautiful land, oceans, beaches, fresh fish and vegetables, nice people, and almost non existent crime. I'd go back and retire there in a heartbeat. From there its fairly easy to travel to SE Asia, Austrailia, etc.

What are housing prices like? I like the Japanese.

MIAdragon 05-14-2019 02:32 PM

Looking to buy something nice on the north shore of Oahu for that exact reason.

BucEyedPea 05-14-2019 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRichard (Post 14267796)
Just wondering who on here has or is planning on moving when they retire? What is the destination? Anyone planning on making a jump to another country? Belize? Italy? Mexico?

The wife and I would definitely consider moving out of country but it would definitely be a tropical location.

I don't believe in retirement. Retirement kills.

I don't plan on moving unless I need a survival bunker in case of a war. I've been looking into locations for that.

MagicHef 05-14-2019 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 14268064)

Agreed on Seattle, it's a nightmare and I only go there when I need to. Port Angeles is tiny, if you wanted to live on the peninsula I'd recommend Port Townsend (lots of historic buildings) or Bainbridge Island. Bellevue and the surrounding towns are big-city-esque without the issues of Seattle, mainly because they still enforce the laws there. Parts of Tacoma are surprisingly nice, especially by the water (Dash Point, Ruston).

When I moved here I always thought it would be temporary and I'd end up moving back to Colorado. Now it's grown on me and I would probably have a hard time leaving.

cooper barrett 05-14-2019 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 14268069)
Then may I suggest Jupiter, FL?

I bet rub and tugs are hard to get there right now.

suzzer99 05-14-2019 02:55 PM

I plan on semi-retiring and traveling the world a digital vagabond - living wherever I feel like as long as like, then moving on to the next place - hopefully in a year or two.

tooge 05-14-2019 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 14268079)
What are housing prices like? I like the Japanese.

I'm not sure but I'll bet most are pretty inexpensive. There were some guys I was stationed with that lived there much longer and bought homes. They were nice homes and there is no way they could have afforded them on what we made if they weren't reasonable.